• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2019
newworldhxj7i.png

I know it's a closed beta with a lot of keys available outside of pre-orders but it still seems crazy. FF XIV, while available on a bajillion platforms and via the Square Enix store on PC, hit a concurrent record of 67k just seven days ago.

Will this game be Amazon's first success? Impressions seem quite positive from what I have seen.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I really, really just don't get this game. I've given it chances on and off for years and it's just never grasped me.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I have already played it for 50 hours which is useless for beta and I never planned for it, but is has really some great mechanics for factions and PVP. I enjoy it in the state it is in now but I can see an even much greater potential.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
There are a lot of non-preorder keys out there, but it's the second most wishlisted game on Steam and like the 5th most followed. By all accounts it should do very well.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Seems to be a sucessor of "Dark Ages of Camelot" in the terms of a PvP MMO, something some hardcore people has been asking for a while. However, most of those hardcore MMOs tend to flame out fast.

That is originally what it was supposed to be, before they decided to add PvE into the title.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Definitely will have a strong opening.

But then will probably be meme'd as a "dead game" in a few months.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
The early game seems really boring, I'm like 7 hours in and have done nothing but parody level fetch quests. Most of my friends didn't even make it to the first settlement before noping out. I assume the design must do some kind of magical 180 to have this many people playing.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this the case with every game big streamers are paid to hype up?

Give it a month after release for people to whine about lack of content like every MMO release.

OHRye

Nov 17, 2017
There's a lot of flaws with the game...but that doesn't stop it from being really fun to play.

Dest

Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Wow, a time traveller. Nice to meet you. :D
I don't know how applicable the old no longer found NDA is these days so I won't say anything outside of that. But, yeah. 12/19/18.

Edit: I know at the very least saying that much was within the clear.
Edit 2: Found it! Small, and still can't say much outside of that. But yeah I've been in most every testing phase since that one there (which may have been the first wave, I don't recall). I've tried it with each one, and am playing through currently with some friends, but it just ain't doing it for me.

Last edited:

StrifeAzure

Nov 5, 2017
Did they fix the issue that where bricking RTX 3xxx cards? I have the game downloaded but will not touch it until I know the issue is cleared up (I have a RTX 2070, so not sure if effected)

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think it'll do well initially but I don't see it lasting.
Seems to be a sucessor of "Dark Ages of Camelot" in the terms of a PvP MMO, something some hardcore people has been asking for a while. However, most of those hardcore MMOs tend to flame out fast.
I've seen this said but I don't see it. A huge part of DAoC was the different ways PvP and PvE meshed which New World isn't even attempting to go for.

Is there even a forced PvP area?

Zinnwel

Banned
May 24, 2020
I quite liked the game, and I'm not a fan of MMORPGs in general, started playing WoW several times but always dropped it because it was too grindy. New World is grindy too but I'm addicted to it.

The thing I liked about the game is the PvP and crafting system, but the PvE content could be better.

Anyway, I'll 100% buy the game.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its got a lot of unique elements taken from prior MMO games. Player Housing and Decorating is very similar to the Star Wars Galaxies days and as you level up you can own multiple houses. Housing and decorating seem to be a big hit. Have a friend who has made like 10,000 Gold just from selling furniture for people to put in their houses.

PVP is plentiful even though some whine it is now optional. Loads of people travel the world marked for PVP as PVP gives extra XP and the longer someone is alive the more XP they are worth etc.

The later additions of dungeons and raids seems to have been handled well. The first Dungeon at Level 25 is well paced, not stupidly long and the fights are reasonably well done.

Crafting has some decent depth to it and if you want to devote the time you could master crafting in everything or you can do what you like and rely on the market for the rest.

Where I think alot of appeal comes from is this is a true return to a community based MMO. Your faction matters besides just I am Alliance or Horde. Your faction can capture cities and you get benefits from them. The other factions are going to war over those cities so there is constant strife and the need to work together as a faction.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Combat is bad with this server latency. It feels so janky. You can feel the rubberband when you attack. It was the same 10 months ago so i have no hope for this being fixed

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
IIRC it turned out to be a card issue, specifically (or particularly) EVGA 3000 series cards.
hmm I have a evga 3080, I only heard of the 3090s having an issue. Have any of the other 3000 series cards been bricked as well? From playing this game. And is nvidia able to fix the issue with a software/driver update?

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I've seen this said but I don't see it. A huge part of DAoC was the different ways PvP and PvE meshed which New World isn't even attempting to go for.

Is there even a forced PvP area?
no but all the important content is PVP. this started out as a survival PVP game, they added PVE and it's completely possible to never PVP at all, but the core of the game, the faction influence and wars only work with PVP flagged. I don't see players who never PVP lasting long in New World.

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this the case with every game big streamers are paid to hype up?

Give it a month after release for people to whine about lack of content like every MMO release.

ā€¢ 200k concurrent players on Steam, for anything, is most definitely rare and the achievement in itself
ā€¢ New World isn't paying streamers to stream the game, at least not yet/now
ā€¢ Paid marketing push by streamers fails all the time, it is a form of marketing, most bad games cannot be carried and streamers/viewers bolt as soon as the bounty is over
ā€¢ We haven't had a high budget, AAA-tier MMO game in over 5 years
ā€¢ Game has quite a lot of positivity/entertainment from players who play it, this is why both player and viewer numbers are high

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
hmm I have a evga 3080, I only heard of the 3090s having an issue. Have any of the other 3000 series cards been bricked as well?
I thought I saw one update say something like "might be other 3000 series cards" but looking it up now I can't find mention of anything other than EVGA 3090's.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Listen up, video game devs! The people want new MMORPGs! Make 'em!

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Good news! This game has a bight future. I hope it reaches its potential.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'll give a try.

I had it installed then uninstalled it after the initial bout of hardware issues cropped up. I'm only on a 1080 Ti, but it's way out of warranty and buying a new card is still impossible if anything were to happen to it.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
ā€¢ New World isn't paying streamers to stream the game, at least not yet/now
ā€¢ Paid marketing push by streamers fails all the time, it is a form of marketing, most bad games cannot be carried and streamers/viewers bolt as soon as the bounty is over

What incentives they have given all of these streamers to main New World for two weeks and compete against each other? Even streamers who usually main very different games (e.g. Tarkov) are now maining New World. Playing from 8 to 18 hours per day, depending on streamer.

Dest

Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
What incentives they have given all of these streamers to main New World for two weeks and compete against each other? Even streamers who usually main very different games (e.g. Tarkov) are now maining New World. Playing from 8 to 18 hours per day, depending on streamer.
It's the big thing right now, streamers are going to play it to cash in on the fact that everyone is watching it, playing it or trying to learn more about it. Amazon doesn't have to pay for that.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
This game will be a blast for a month or so. Then it will struggle badly with lack of content. A month is great though for the price.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
Its hard to find any decent information on this game, but from the looks of it, it started as a PVP focused survival game, and now it's a pve focused theme park mmo?

All I can tell from the videos is that the combat looks really bad.

It's 40 dollars and I really want to play a new MMO, so why not.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
This game will be a blast for a month or so. Then it will struggle badly with lack of content. A month is great though for the price.

It will be my chill game. Logging in, chopping down some trees, catching some fish, hanging out in the beautiful world. Thank god its B2p and only 40 euro so you can login in whenever you want and you are not feeling the pressure of your sub running out

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
FF XIV, while available on a bajillion platforms and via the Square Enix store on PC, hit a concurrent record of 67k just seven days ago.

tbt.gif

You can't use Regular accounts with the Steam version, and viceversa. Of 20 people I know that play the game, only 1 uses Steam due to the account limitations.

The game also wasn't on Steam at launch, so those of us who had accounts by then couldn't use the Steam version.

Then there is the Reshade discord with thousands of people that don't use Steam ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
I hope this does decent just because they really could use a win. I have friends there and it's pretty defeating not having a success under your belt.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I don't know how applicable the old no longer found NDA is these days so I won't say anything outside of that. But, yeah. 12/19/18.

Edit: I know at the very least saying that much was within the clear.
Edit 2: Found it! Small, and still can't say much outside of that. But yeah I've been in most every testing phase since that one there (which may have been the first wave, I don't recall). I've tried it with each one, and am playing through currently with some friends, but it just ain't doing it for me.

It's okay, I was just having a laugh a bit since the game officially released recently. :D

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Have put about 15 hours into the Beta. Having a pretty good time with it overall. It's probably the most social MMO I've played in a while, joined a Company/Faction that's immediately trying to pool together to take some territory in our server, and grouping for PVP quests. I feel like this will be one of those MMOs that will be a severely lesser experience if you just want to play it solo.

It does also have some (6 I think) PVE dungeons but I haven't reached the needed level for those yet.