• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amber Guyger was found guilty of murder on Tuesday for fatally shooting her neighbor, Botham Jean, after thinking he was an intruder when she mistakenly entered his apartment.

She faces a maximum of life in prison.

The jury was tasked with deciding whether or not Guyger, 31, acted reasonably when she used deadly force, and if the prosecution had proven beyond a reasonable doubt that she intentionally killed Jean or if a lesser charge of manslaughter, which involves reckless conduct, was warranted.

Deliberations began Monday afternoon after a week-long trial, which included the playing of the 911 call that Guyger made after shooting Jean and dramatic bodycam video from officers who responded to the scene.

Guyger was off duty but in uniform when she shot twice at Jean on Sept. 6, 2018, just before 10 p.m., striking him in the chest. She had worked a 13-1/2-hour shift on the Dallas Police Department's crime response team that day and parked on the fourth floor of the complex's garage.

She lived on the third floor, and Jean, a 26-year-old accountant and native of the island nation of St. Lucia, lived directly above her. The two did not know one another.

Prosecutors said Jean was watching television and eating ice cream in his living room when Guyger burst inside, likely scaring him. The trajectory of the bullet showed that he was either getting up from his couch or cowering when Guyger fired her service weapon, they added.

The fatal shooting, which has led to one of the most anticipated murder trials in Dallas in decades, became a flashpoint on issues of police use of force and racial bias. Guyger is white and Jean was black, and the Jean family has questioned whether Guyger would have shot him if he were a different race.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Legit shocked. Had to be the only reasonable conclusion. The precedent of being able to invoke castle doctrine if you're white because you didn't know where you fucking were would have been even more chilling.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Good. Seriously if she got off for killing someone who was in his own damn apartment that would have been maddening.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thank goodness. If this didn't end this way I would have lost what little faith I have in our justice system.

Rhete

Oct 27, 2017
The precedent set by allowing her to use castle doctrine in someone elses house would've been staggering. For now, justice has been served.

Can she appeal?

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm actually surprised. I know she committed man slaughter. But I believe it was an accident. However, I have no doubt if the roles were reversed, and a black man had shot and killed a white woman, even by accident, he would've been convicted of murder.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Kinda had a feeling this would be the rare case that actually goes the right way. Even the blue lives matter people didn't seem all that passionate in defending her because they couldn't even pretend she was in the right.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I'll admit that the second the judge told the jury that they could consider the Castle Doctrine in this case, I thought she was getting off. So this is a pleasant surprise.

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever reason she had for doing this, even if not intentionally... this shit a grievous error in judgement that warrants a severe punishment. Glad it ended this way.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Imagine if this was the norm.

Glad to be wrong about this one. Finally a family doesn't have to have money thrown at them for their dead relative without any actual justice.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope the conviction stands and she does a lot of time in jail.

There is so much bullshit and police favoritism with judges in this country, that I must temper my hopes with reality.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Wow some actual justice for once. Refreshing to see.

JCX

Oct 25, 2017
I am pretty shocked but so relieved too, especially after hearing that castle doctrine stuff yesterday.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Sentenced to 30 seconds of minimum security summer camp and given her job back afterwards.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't the judge elbow nudging the jury to take it easy on her? I don't have high hopes.
No. As ridiculous as it sounds to us laymen, the castle doctrine ruling is a direct consequence of the "mistake of fact" where Guyger believed herself to be in her own apartment. The entire case seems to have rested on whether or not it was reasonable for her to hold that belief. The jury fortunately decided no.
Sentenced to 30 seconds of minimum security summer camp and given her job back afterwards.
She's still a felon...

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Good. Hope she actually does the appropriate time vs being allowed to walk after just a few years.