• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jun 10, 2018
Just another reason why black people need to break away from religion. As long as we stick so closely to those Christian ideals forcibly beaten into us we will always be tied and adhere to white supremacy.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe we are blaming religion for family attempting to reach closure by acting forgiving and not being angry enough for the crowd outside. I mean isnt that the hardest thing ? To forgive the one who deserves it least at that moment ? That's peak humanity

No thats just some Christian Bullshit that lets abusers get away with abuse because their victims have to "forgive" them.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Just another reason why black people need to break away from religion. As long as we stick so closely to those Christian ideals forcibly beaten into us we will always be tied and adhere to white supremacy.
No.

We just need to find a way to love and value ourselves.

You can bet your ass neither Dr. King nor Brother Malcolm would have been huging on the murder of yet another black body.

There is nothing wrong with forgiveness. It is a necessity in life. However, due punishment and consequences must be applied. That's what we call justice, and Dr. King and Brother Malcolm were very much committed to it. Without that, you never have proper and proportional system of consequences. You can forgive while still demand justice be served.

This was a sentence but it wasn't justice. Your preferred God has nothing to do with that.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
This was supposed to set a precedent and instead will do the opposite. 10 years is a joke.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Friendly reminder, this dude got more.

Similar cases in that it was a hot headed response to a harmless person.

Spot the differences in the victim and cop tho

You could just come out and say that women are more likely to receive sympathy from people than men are but this not the way to do it.

Both should've been locked away for 25 to life.

They killed an innocent person. What more can you take from an innocent person than their life?

The commonality here is that they are both cops.

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Allison Jean's speech was both inspiring and heartbreaking.

10 fucking years for the murderer that took her son's life.

Shit will just never fucking change and it makes me sick.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
using the brother's forgiveness as a shield for injustice is disgusting, but so is calling him naive and brainwashed and infantilizing him by reducing his act of forgiveness as closure seeking or grief processing or whatever. listen to his mom's speech and tell me the family doesn't understand the gravity of the injustice and corruption. what the brother did wasn't easy and didn't come from a place of weakness.
It's more like people see it as the visual symbol of the light sentence. Murder in cold blood? Ah poor baby, here's some compassion. I'm upset at the jury more than anyone, with the judge a close second.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I can't say anything about the brother because family deals with loss in their own way. Why the fuck is the judge hugging a just convicted murderer. Man wtf.

Shit just amazes me

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
remember reading an article saying the judge pulled a fast one and was gonna go hard on this girl. nope she was always trying to go easy on her and probably wanted her to get less time.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
So that's the price of the life of an innocent black man murdered while he was just eating ice cream and chilling in his home. Disgusting.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Yeah 10 years for murder is certainly not justice , doesn't surprise me though , being white will let you get leniency for anything.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

Much respect to her and her family through all of this.

The words of a women you know raised her kids right. I can only hope her words don't fall on deaf ears.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
She'll be out before the guy who ran me over and drove away then got a 7 year sentence last January.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Only 10 years for barging into someone's home and murdering a man minding his own business on his couch... garbage.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Well, at least she's a convicted murderer. We treat cops with kids' gloves in this country and I will never understand why.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Sadly it seems to be the norm. I have a cousin who served 11 years for drugs while a co-worker's brother was murdered and the guy only served 4 years. My county sucks.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You could just come out and say that women are more likely to receive sympathy from people than men are but this not the way to do it.

Both should've been locked away for 25 to life.

They killed an innocent person. What more can you take from an innocent person than their life?

The commonality here is that they are both cops.

If a murder was a "hot headed" action that caused the death of a person, then shouldn't the sentence be both based on severity of the crime and chance of recommitting once back in society?

Part of the need to reform prisons isn't just remove the bullshit of private prisons or non-violent offenders, but the need to actually have our penal system attempt to reform people and not just be a punishment. Obviously if someone is a risk to society their length changes, but this is a case that is essentially a 2nd degree murder (which isn't a thing in Texas but the situation presented shows it's more similar to a non-predetermined murder than a predetermined one).

2nd Degree murder ranges in a lot of states, but 10 years with parole isn't exactly that outlandish, although it's on the low end of time for some states.

So in this case, she is serving five years minimum before parole, which when compared to a parallel case of a person of color is probably going to be shockingly low, but that's the entire point of fixing our justice system. It's not to make sentencing longer for others as some type of "payback", it's to make sentencing just for everyone.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So in this case, she is serving five years minimum before parole, which when compared to a parallel case of a person of color is probably going to be shockingly low, but that's the entire point of fixing our justice system. It's not to make sentencing longer for others as some type of "payback", it's to make sentencing just for everyone.
Alright. In the meantime, before this fated fixing of the justice system, black people should continue to enjoy disproportionate sentencing compared to white, cop counterparts and just shrug when sentencings like Guyger's happen again, and again, and again.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Alright. In the meantime, before this fated fixing of the justice system, black people should continue to enjoy disproportionate sentencing compared to white, cop counterparts and just shrug when sentencings like Guyger's happen again, and again, and again.

Who is shrugging? I might not have made the point clear, but when I said shockingly low I also meant it that the actual length of time should be higher spent in prison. But the point that prison should be reform based and not punishment based still stands, and people wanting life sentence for what amounts to 2nd degree murder isn't really justifiable.

Her getting off in five years should be plastered everywhere as the typical injustice that the system creates while people of color are thrown in jail for similar lengths of times for robberies, non-violent drug offenses and so forth.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
If a murder was a "hot headed" action that caused the death of a person, then shouldn't the sentence be both based on severity of the crime and chance of recommitting once back in society?

Part of the need to reform prisons isn't just remove the bullshit of private prisons or non-violent offenders, but the need to actually have our penal system attempt to reform people and not just be a punishment. Obviously if someone is a risk to society their length changes, but this is a case that is essentially a 2nd degree murder (which isn't a thing in Texas but the situation presented shows it's more similar to a non-predetermined murder than a predetermined one).

2nd Degree murder ranges in a lot of states, but 10 years with parole isn't exactly that outlandish, although it's on the low end of time for some states.

Fixing the system is giving her 10 years in which she will likely serve 5 for literally gunning down a innocent black man in his apartment?

Just last year a black man in Mississippi got hit with 8 years for having weed on him and I'm supposed to believe that the system can be commensurate with whatever it deems as just?

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fixing the system is giving her 10 years in which she will likely serve 5 for literally gunning down a innocent black man in his apartment?

Just last year a black man in Mississippi got hit with 8 years for having weed on him and I'm supposed to believe that the system can be commensurate with whatever it deems as just?

See above

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
My office had a television playing 24-7 CNN during the Charleston massacre and for days I had to watch CNN talk about how courageous the black christians were in the town and they kept on trotting out people talking about forgiving the killer. I found that coverage extremely disturbing

It's just a way to focus on the individual ("Poor crying white girl") and to avoid the anger that could actually get some reform done on an institutional level like, i dunno, police reform that won't let a cop leave the scene of a murder for days until public pressure forces them to charger her with manslaughter or let them leak to the news that a trace amount of marijuana was found in the apartment as if it justified the murder when this all went down

Deleted member 43514

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2018
zu26cvn7w7q31.png

Oct 27, 2017
remember reading an article saying the judge pulled a fast one and was gonna go hard on this girl. nope she was always trying to go easy on her and probably wanted her to get less time.

I thought guyger chose jury for sentencing?

If so (and apologies if I'm mistaken but I think I read that) why'd the jury, mostly minorities, opt to go so soft?

EDIT: caught up on the news, sorry. Probably because of the family's wishes? Seems they are forgiveness focused.

Last edited:

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watching all these Christians babble about how God was in the court today and shit has never made me feel more Athiest.

These people are brainwashed.