• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Customers who buy a Radeon RX 560 graphics card may get a bit less than they bargained for. That's because some cards are now shipping with fewer compute units and stream processors than originally advertised when AMD launched the Radeon RX 560 in April.

When the Radeon RX 560 first came out, AMD listed the card as having 16 compute units and 1,024 stream processors. Then several months later, AMD launched a cut down Radeon RX 560D SKU in Asia with 14 compute units and 896 stream processors. It was easy to spot the difference because of the slightly different model names, but now some regular Radeon RX 560 cards are shipping with downgraded specs.

http://www.pcgamer.com/amd-quietly-downgraded-some-radeon-rx-560-graphics-cards/

Zatoichi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Plucky underdog fighting against the big bad juggernauts pulls shady moves also.

Silly fan boy narrative diminished.

Amy of these companies will try and pull a move when they can, to be fair AMD graphics section are not doing well at all.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Wow what the hell? I'd expect this from Nvidia, since they've been notorious for stuff like this, but AMD? Very disappointing.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
So it's called the 560D? Why aren't the stores including the D name in the models with 896 stream processors?
Perhaps it would have just been simpler to just call it an RX 555?

EDIT: What the... The PowerColor one on NewEgg supposedly has 896 cores, it's model number is "AXRX 560 4GBD5-DHA" and other stores have this listed as a GPU with 1024 cores. Is this a mistake by NewEgg or do some of the 896 core models of the RX 560 have the same model number as the 1024 models? That wouldn't be good.

Last edited:

Beef Stallmer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So did AMD call 560D cards 560, or did the partners create this confusion? If the latter then AMD did not "quietly" downgrade anything, they used a different designation to differentiate between the cards.

So it's called the 560D? Why aren't the stores including the D name in the models with 896 stream processors?
Perhaps it would have just been simpler to just call it an RX 555?

Exactly!

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
So did AMD call 560D cards 560, or did the partners create this confusion? If the latter then AMD did not "quietly" downgrade anything, they used a different designation to differentiate between the cards.

Exactly!

Seeing as AMD just listed it as the RX 560 on their website with "896/1024" Stream Processors it looks like the creation of the confusion may come from them. I think they should have just called the models with 896 Stream Processors another name or kept the D suffix.

Last edited:

Got Danny

Nov 8, 2017
Hmmm. Me and my bro got identical amd 560 gaming laptops from lenovo on black Friday, and mine was much slower, could this be why? I sent it back for a replacement.

Is there anyway software i can use to confirm this once i get the replacement?

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm. Me and my bro got identical amd 560 gaming laptops from lenovo on black Friday, and mine was much slower, could this be why? I sent it back for a replacement.

Is there anyway software i can use to confirm this once i get the replacement?
GPU-Z I think would show the missing specs.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Almost the same price in France, note that this model is called "EVO", what an evolution indeed :

CaZ1ko1.png

Found here : https://www.ldlc.com/informatique/p...rte-graphique-interne/c4684/+fv121-15892.html

And that's not the only website, most of them have both type of cards (896 and 1024 CU) but unless you check on the product page you can't know which one it is, the price is almost the same (3-10€) but the performance should take a hit with lower speeds and less CU.

Last edited:

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
Yeah AMD and retailers should have made more effort to distinguish the difference with by calling it RX 555 or making sure retailers put in the D (hur hur) in the product titles. How much was the price difference? If I saw a bunch of 560's that were significantly cheaper than others, it would have seem fishy to me and caused me to double check the specs before but if not then that's pretty shady.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah AMD and retailers should have made more effort to distinguish the difference with by calling it RX 555 or making sure retailers put in the D (hur hur) in the product titles. How much was the price difference? If I saw a bunch of 560's that were significantly cheaper than others, it would have seem fishy to me and caused me to double check the specs before but if not then that's pretty shady.
I checked some French websites and the difference is about 3 to 10 €, and some brands (Sapphire for example) have "OC" models of the 1024 CU version that cost 8€ more than the "normal" 896 CU one...

Also, some websites say the Sapphire models are 1024 CU versions, and another website only list them with 896 CU, either one is wrong or right, or the version changed as units were sold.

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
I checked some French websites and the difference is about 3 to 10 €, and some brands (Sapphire for example) have "OC" models of the 1024 CU version that cost 8€ more than the "normal" 896 CU one...

Also, some websites say the Sapphire models are 1024 CU versions, and another website only list them with 896 CU, either one is wrong or right, or the version changed as units were sold.
Okay yeah this isn't right. You expect a slight price difference between models since brands often apply their own degree of OC or cooling but only a slight difference between an actually inferior card is not cool. Sure NVIDIA got shit for the 970 fiasco but I'd almost say this is shadier.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's just bad, so much for amd being pro consumers (not that I believed it in the first place. A listed company is a listed company after all). The only thing I don't understand. Why did they think nobody would notice this kind of fuckery? People noticed the 970 vram trickery and that was much harder to spot.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
This is some real shady stuff, the GTX 970 atleast lived up to the performance benchmarks and reviews, but they didn't change the card massively over time, AMD can just say that the specs of the cards are advertised on the purchasing pages for the products, but it is misleading as all the reviews for the product are for a different version of it.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Wow what the hell? I'd expect this from Nvidia, since they've been notorious for stuff like this, but AMD? Very disappointing.

How exactly is Nvidia notorious for this stuff? The only real scandal they have had related to misleading consumers was the GTX 970 VRAM issue, and that was a lot murkier than people admit to as well as the card still performed great relative to its cost. This is AMD basically selling lower quality GPU dies with cut down specs under a different products name for almost the same price. Nvidia has never really done anything like that.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
err I just buy this card around 2 week ago, am I fucked?

I just I run it in underpowered PC so its doesn't matter that much but still

lmao yeah I'm fucked

the GPU clock is 1150 instead 1350

fuck you too AMD

Last edited:

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
So the third party vendors are buying the new SKU and building their own cards with them and using shady naming conventions for them? (ie, still calling the 560 instead of 560D)

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Nvidia actually upgrades their cards. The 10-series cards get upgraded to faster VRAM about half a year later at the same price.

I imagine ppl only say this cause of the whole gtx 970 3.5 gb vram fiasco which was more like like a bug/design flaw they tried to hide, still pretty scummy but this is definitely worse in my opinion.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Damn AMD, that's some shady shit.

On a side note I've compiled a list of the companies I feel are trustworthy.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017

AMD has worse with developer support, their partner(resellers) relations are awful and they've pulled consumer hijinks before. Linus got into it on the wan show a few months back and while both companies have pulled BS moves AMD is the worse of the two.

Vennt

Oct 27, 2017
AMD's response is incredibly weak, they deserve raking over the coals for this. utterly shady.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-rx-560-specification-change,36049.html

"There are two variants of AMD Radeon™ RX 560," stated a company representative. "End users will definitely need to double check specs on variants. Typically the RX560 14cu version will sell lower than 16cu version, [and the] 14cu version will have lower power consumption.This allows our GPU partners to offer differentiation between different SKUs for different power and pricing segments."

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How exactly is Nvidia notorious for this stuff? The only real scandal they have had related to misleading consumers was the GTX 970 VRAM issue, and that was a lot murkier than people admit to as well as the card lorstill performed great relative to its cost. This is AMD basically selling lower quality GPU dies with cut down specs under a different products name for almost the same price. Nvidia has never really done anything like that.
Nvidia has alot of shady history. Thats why i go red

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
AMD has worse with developer support, their partner(resellers) relations are awful and they've pulled consumer hijinks before. Linus got into it on the wan show a few months back and while both companies have pulled BS moves AMD is the worse of the two.

Like that time they gave the Phenom I's to reviewers without telling them there was a potentially catastrophic flaw in the TLB, and allowed them to benchmark them unhindered. But then quietly passed out BIOS patches to motherboard OEM's that completely disabled the TLB. None of this was done with any level of transparency, and the average performance loss was ~10%--consumers bought CPU's that performed 10% worse than any review/benchmark indicated.

Nvidia has alot of shady history. Thats why i go red

That's not evidence. Outside of the VRAM issue with the GTX 970 what shady stuff has Nvidia done?

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm does sound pretty shady. Buying a GPU right now seems universally awful without these unnecessary additional shenanigans.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Can you return it? You shouldn't get lumbered with a substandard card because of this shady shit.
I already try to return it even a days later before coming home to my town because I want even cheaper card but the shop is just ass like that

Once again AMD sucks I guess I avoid buy red again in future.

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yh saw this earlier and it's pretty shitty/shady as Anandtech put it -

AMD's response is incredibly weak, they deserve raking over the coals for this. utterly shady.
LUL yh that response is...

AMD you know you could have keep the different names when shipping the product to more markets that way consumers to have to doubly check especially when the specs are not always clearly given/written.

Man the Radeon group has really been a shitshow in comparison to the CPU side this year.