• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
As you might know, Radeon RX 5700 series reviews will be available on July 7th, alongside AMD Ryzen 3000 series and X570 motherboards. Quite a day for tech enthusiasts and a lot of work for reviewers. A review was published by accident by a Polish site called Benchmark.

The review was conducted with early drivers, as explained in the screenshot below. Apparently, these drivers do not even support overclocking. Hence, the results may not correspond to the final performance.

7z2tcmM.png

FOL0czE.png

CMzQBlg.png

Read more

Doesn''t look very impressive but quite good considering they're less power hungry and cost a little bit less!

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
looks like decent results. not the zen moment of AMD for GPU but it should be good enough.

Nov 8, 2017
Keep in mind it's just the one that we've got to work with so far, a slightly different picture may emerge.

Performance (taking this review at face value and assuming the consensus is in line with it), it's about where we expected and as such not amazing. It's not clear to me that either of these cards would be recommended over equivalent RTX series cards, which offer extra features and equivalent or better performance for worse-but-not-much-worse pricing.

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
5700 is ok in its slot but the XT is just bad. Too expensive and the performance is disappointing. I'm guessing they have something better coming out later but can't cannibalize the Radeon VII sales yet.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AMD drops the ball on the GPU department once again
It makes me really hard to love you big red

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
Decent performance but no 2080 Ti killer. I really hope Intel and AMD can push out some good products in the high end market next year.

Performance (taking this review at face value and assuming the consensus is in line with it), it's about where we expected and as such not amazing. It's not clear to me that either of these cards would be recommended over equivalent RTX series cards, which offer extra features and equivalent or better performance for worse-but-not-much-worse pricing.

What extra features are noteworthy? Because RTX sure isn't, not in this price segment. The performance hit for RT isn't worth it on my 2080, not with a high refresh rate display. If these results look similar across the board I'd go with whatever is cheaper.

Clessidor

Oct 30, 2017
Kinda like expected so far. Decent cards in their perfomance range, but nothing mindbreaking which would get recommend over similar RTX cards with the current price. Especially with Nvidias mindshare and the lack of features people care about right now like raytracing.

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
So you expect mid/low range AMD cards to beat NVidia's flagships like RTX 2080 Ti? dafuq?

I think Bashteee is just saying he's hoping the high end cards coming next year from AMD are strong.

This leak isn't painting a great picture but I was ready for disappointment when they ran with the Strange Brigade benchmark during the announcement. But the prices have to get shaken up. I'm not sure why anyone would buy these when they could go Super. I also think Nvidia also has to drop the price of the 1660 ti which costs around that same as some 2060 models.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Good to see that AMD finally arrived in 2018 to beat Nvidia's mid-range offerings with a decent card. It's a shame they still can't challenge Nvidia in the high-end. We need competition and not one IHV price-gouging their customers while the other is always at least one year late to the party.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I think a $400 5700 XT is a decent deal. Especially if AMD's going to bundle in Division 2/WWZ, or something else.

Plus being Nvidia I wouldn't be shocked to see 2070S selling above it's msrp.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
AMD is no longer bundling games but three months of Xbox Game Pass.

Even with the price cut, it's not enough. It's gone from total shitshow to close but no cigar.

I'm starting to feel what Sega fans used to feel.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
5700 is ok in its slot but the XT is just bad. Too expensive and the performance is disappointing. I'm guessing they have something better coming out later but can't cannibalize the Radeon VII sales yet.

The Radeon VII has no point with the 2070S for 200$ less.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There we go. So if your are looking for a 'mid-ranged card' and have $400 to spend you can decide if trying ray tracing with a 2060S is worth $50 bucks. If not you can buy a 5700 which AMD will probably launch with a good games bundle.
3 months of game pass. Nvidia has multiple games on the other hand

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
The Radeon VII was a ridiculous stopgap and the hearsay about being made from non certifiable pro-grade cards hastily rebranded as gaming ones makes total sense in hindsight.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
The three months of gamepass is a pretty Terrible bundle, Nvidia is much better on that front right now.

Nov 8, 2017
What extra features are noteworthy? Because RTX sure isn't, not in this price segment. The performance hit for RT isn't worth it on my 2080, not with a high refresh rate display. If these results look similar across the board I'd go with whatever is cheaper.

If you were on a 1080p60 the 2070 or 2060s could certainly do rtx for some titles, and if you used RTSS to cap framerates lower on a Variable Refresh display you could pull it off for more ambitious games (like 1080p40 or something in Tomb Raider). Better to have the option than not if it's the same ballpark pricing anyway. I've got fingers crossed for Wolfensetin and Doom this year having performant implementations. From a performance standpoint, VRS is my favorite (currently tragically underutilized) feature. Even set to aggressive in Wolfenstein 2 I don't notice a difference in visuals, but it's a free 10-15% performance boost.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this can start a price war in the mid range because I keep thinking how little I paid for my GTX 970 and that, five years later, there's only the half-step 1660 Ti in that price range.

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
If you were on a 1080p60 the 2070 or 2060s could certainly do rtx for some titles, and if you used RTSS to cap framerates lower on a Variable Refresh display you could pull it off for more ambitious games (like 1080p40 or something in Tomb Raider). Better to have the option than not if it's the same ballpark pricing anyway. I've got fingers crossed for Wolfensetin and Doom this year having performant implementations. From a performance standpoint, VRS is my favorite (currently tragically underutilized) feature. Even set to aggressive in Wolfenstein 2 I don't notice a difference in visuals, but it's a free 10-15% performance boost.
Can I ask which card you have?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Really wish AMD would get some sort of magic bullet with their GPUs but it just seems it ain't happening.

Stickman

Oct 27, 2017
The 5700 looks good for the price, very competitive with the 2060 Super. The XT though isn't good enough.

Nov 2, 2017
I think AMD plan was to let Nvidia expose themselves with the Super line-up and cut the prices to battle those cards and not the original RTX series
That's a terrible plan. Doing a price cut before a product launches makes it look you got outpriced and got caught caught with your pants down. Now they're just doing damage control to make it look like it was all part of the plan. Don't be so naive.

The whole it's part of the plan doesn't make a lick of sense as there's really nothing preventing Nvidia from doing the exact same thing. Either this is as low as Nvidia is willing to price their cards and a fake reveal is useless as their prices are not influenced by Navi or Nvidia's prices are a reaction to the original AMD prices and they were willing to go lower if AMD's prices were lower but in this case a fake reveal is also worhtless because Nvidia will then just drop their prices as a reaction to AMD's price drop. In any scenario a fake reveal is pointless.

Yopis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
Crazy they still can't compete on 7nm. Shows how far behind they are. What is Turing now 12nm? 3000 series will stretch Gap in big way I bet.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Really wish AMD would get some sort of magic bullet with their GPUs but it just seems it ain't happening.

remember these cards are still running on some hybrid GCN arch. The ones coming out next year are 100% new RDNA.

It takes time. The used all their resources on their CPU line up past couple years, their gpu's kind of went on the back burner. Now that their cpu line is in terrific shape they can move on using similar process with 7nm, and new arch.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
remember these cards are still running on some hybrid GCN arch. The ones coming out next year are 100% new RDNA.

It takes time. The used all their resources on their CPU line up past couple years, their gpu's kind of went on the back burner. Now that their cpu line is in terrific shape they can move on using similar process with 7nm, and new arch.

Didn't know about that, guess we'll see.

Although that always seems to AMD's mantra with their GPUs. "Next time will be better!"