• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
I'm never getting a GPU this year it seems....

Next shot is the rumoured 3060 Ti launch next week.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
So exactly as expected then.

I always assume PC tech launches (at least for major products) are paper launches. Because they usually are.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
But we already knew it was a paper launch. Why act surprised?

Last week was supposed to be the paper launch with the AIB cards supposed to bring significant extra stock a week later. It would appear instead that there were no AIB cards at launch because they simply don't exist.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I sometimes wonder if AMD isn't just a pro-wrestling type con set up by NVidia to make themselves look better after they botch something.

Their ability to see NVidia fumble the ball and then just stand there with their thumb up their ass will never cease to amaze me.

Oct 27, 2017

This guy is already annoying the entire r/AMD sub, and that community is already a bit of the hivemind/fanboys in itself.

Specifically, he is a marketing staffer who posts promotions and revelations about AMD that don't meet reality, aka misleading the public or just straight up lying. Failing at supplying stock is one thing, but making promises and jabs that it is NOT going to be short-stocked, and then botching the launch is just much worse.

Oct 27, 2017
FOMO has always been a marketing tool, but companies are taking it to the next level

I don't think that this is the case. It serves nobody but scalpers. It makes the company look incompetent, it annoys the customers, legit retailers are getting some fire, the entire pre-order mess and it allows the retailers/scalpers to rake the undeserved revenue.

I think everybody (AMD, Nvidia, Sony) would be happy if they could multiply the stock. The demand just greatly outstrips their Day-1 or launch window stock...

It is not even missing out, it is just... fear of not being first to own the toy? The stock will catch-up eventually, you aren't going to lose your ability to purchase the item as with some actual FOMO-driven sales on boots, merchandise or in-game events.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's not a paper launch guys, really. Remember that time when some folks said nvidias is actually a paper launch? And amd surely will be much better. Good times

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
Well, same as Nivdia, it wasn't a paper launch. People were able to buy them but the numbers were low. This felt, again, like a normal GPU launch.

The problem with Nvidia is how slow they have been at producing cards, especially the 3080 which seems nowhere to be found. I expect AMD, being on the now mature 7nm to be able to produce cards at a good rate, so the quickest among us might be able to get one. If you're waiting for the time you'll be able to go on a website and buy one easily... probably spring 2021. And never for Nvidia, The 3080 is too good to be true. The more expensive 3080ti will be widely available though!

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Well, same as Nivdia, it wasn't a paper launch. People were able to buy them but the numbers were low. This felt, again, like a normal GPU launch.

The problem with Nvidia is how slow they have been at producing cards, especially the 3080 which seems nowhere to be found. I expect AMD, being on the now mature 7nm to be able to produce cards at a good rate, so the quickest among us might be able to get one. If you're waiting for the time you'll be able to go on a website and buy one easily... probably spring 2021. And never for Nvidia, The 3080 is too good to be true. The more expensive 3080ti will be widely available though!

Why to try and turn topic about AMD botching supply into discussion about how NV actually botched it first? Seems bit irrelevant.

Also mature magical 7nm clearly doesn't rain GPUs from heavens like it's manna if AMD and AIBs are out of parta to make cards...