• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I want you to look at these charts and argue that the people that bought a 1800x at over 2x the price of a 1600 made correct choice of "future proofing" their hardware vs those that bought a 1600 and upgraded to a 3600 or 4600 next year.

The only way it makes sense is if you expect those extra cores to be useful in the next 3-4 years and by then you might as well be looking to upgrade your entire rig, specially with DDR5 coming sooner rather than later.

We're talking about charts with only average FPS ? It tells nothing man . Try factor in 1% low and min FPS . The extra cores are absolute necessity nowadays , not just a luxury . With streaming , recording and multiple game launchers at the same time , nobody just run game as a single application nowadays . My 3700x is already paying dividend , it's butter smooth in CPU heavy area in games like Crysis 3 (jungle) , ROTR (village) , Witcher 3 (Market) and there's no single drop spike even with OBS x264 record .

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
If I want a mb that is sub $200 for the 3700x, what is the best option that I can get?

symphonask

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure where to go, so hopefully someone here knows what to do. My little bro has a compact PC with a Ryzen 7 3700X & the Radeon 5700 XT but it won't turn on (the fan powers on but doesn't stay on, it goes up & stops randomly). Does anyone know how to fix it?

Had a similar issue previously. Had to replace the hard disk.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The console clock speeds for Zen2 probably will sit around 3Ghz for thermal reasons, remember they have to cram an entire Navi GPU onto the die, power and cool it in a console size case. Given the competition between Sony and MS, maybe they push it to ~250W, but that's nearing practical limits for a mass market unit. Remember, the OneX peaks at ~175W per digital foundry, but that was with 8 Jag cores sipping power (probably about 13.5W, given 16nm Finfet and 2.3Ghz).
That's with exotic cooling that doesn't really translate to getting $399 or maybe even $499 consoles to huge production volume easily.

We also have a situation where the consoles will be sharing memory bandwidth. With PC, a Zen2 has the entire DDR4 3200/2600/3733 bandwidth to itself, and a GPU has the entire GDDR6/HBM/etc bandwidth to itself. Sharing memory increases effective latency.

With 8th gen, you had CPU (Jag) that was incapable of running complex worlds reliably at 60fps, regardless of 1.6Ghz or 2.3Ghz, or in between. It was just a paucity of CPU grunt. GPU was ok for the era, ~7850/7770ish levels for base PS4/X1. If you accepted base console settings and 30fps, even a 4GB 670 would remain capable of multiplats even today in all but the most poorly optimized circumstances.

CPUs also don't scale for gaming very well across cores. For this reason I think 8 core Zen2 will be probably about as effective as a 32 core Zen2 for most 9th gen games. Clock speeds and IPC are hugely more important to improving performance, but that's barely moving, and may even regress in future releases as more cores are chased. For cores vs clock in gaming, a dual 18-core Xeon will lose every single gaming benchmark against a 3900X or 9900k. 36 cores vs 12/8 cores.

Anyway, CPU won't be the bottleneck for console or PC during 9th gen, assuming you have 8 cores of CL or Zen2 to work with. 60fps will be easily achieved in almost any title. GPU will be the bottleneck. If you push graphics to the point where a 10-12TF buckles down to 30 (Dev priority), then CPU of any level cannot help, not even a hypothetical 10Ghz Zen2 or i9.

However, this may not be a problem too often if you look at it optimistically. If 4k/30 is mostly what big titles aim for on console, then 1440/60 becomes much more feasible. I also think we'll see more games with options for consoles than 8th gen. People once thought you would never see options for console players, and dismissed it. But you see a presence of games now where you can choose between key options.

Bookmark it, 3700x/9900k and better will have no trouble with 60fps for the entire 9th gen. Today's GPUs on the other hand will fall out of 60fps @ 1440/4k within the gen (at typical high/ultra mix).

Ill book this one. Devs will use the available cpu power on consoles. They dont just max out the gpu the best they can and call it quits. Theres no way a 9900k provides 60fps thru the gen

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
enable PBO + XMP and leave everything else.

it's not worth manually overclocking the CPU.
You recommend switching PBO on now? I don't know if im being overly cautious but I am hesitant to switch it on with the current state of the CPU's (high volt issue, high temps on idle etc) until we get proper BIOS and AMD fix the problems.

Melhisedek

Oct 27, 2017
Guys just got my 3700x and did a fresh install and latest chipset drivers and BIOS.

Just a quick question. When I do a Cinebench 20 run and check with Hwinfo all my cores top at 3900 Mhz, and even load temps go down. If I do some other task some of the cores bost to 4.3
Is that normal?

Mad1723

Oct 27, 2017
Guys just got my 3700x and did a fresh install and latest chipset drivers and BIOS.

Just a quick question. When I do a Cinebench 20 run and check with Hwinfo all my cores top at 3900 Mhz, and even load temps go down. If I do some other task some of the cores bost to 4.3
Is that normal?
The cores will boost less when doing very heavy multicore tasks and then boost more if less cores are involved. Totally normal.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Any 5700XT owners dealing with constant crashing?

I'm not sure if it's the drivers or the Adrenaline software, but this shit isn't stable at all. I'm going to try installing the drivers without Adrenaline, but that'll suck because I like some of those tools.

I hate to say it but I'm on the verge of returning my card to Microcenter. The shitty part is I'm not going to find anything as powerful as the 5700XT for $350.

I'm not sure if I should just hang in there and wait for AMD to fix their shit, or return it while I still can?

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
enable PBO + XMP and leave everything else.

it's not worth manually overclocking the CPU.

Yes, the general rule is to enable PBO, set it at +200mhz and activate Auto OC. That way you'll ensure the best possible stability, great single core performance and multi core performance very close to what you can obtain with a flat OC. This is a simple and very safe way to overclock your CPU and basically obtain a free overclock.

But I've spent some times overclocking with my 3900x, trying manual overclocking but also a new alternative way. That is, overclocking the CCD/CCX individually, leaving each CCX within the CCDs with an independant clock, asynchonous to the other. The 3900X comes with 2 CCD. One of them has one CCX with one core capable of hitting the 4.6ghz boost at high voltage. That way, Amd can hold their promise of hitting boost up to 4.6ghz for one core, while also increasing their yields. That way, you can extract as much performance as you can from each CCX.

I ended up with the following:

CCD0:

CCX0: 4.5ghz
CCX1: 4.45ghz

CCD1:

CCX0: 4.35ghz
CCX1: 4.325ghz

So I get significantly improved multi core performance in titles such as AC Odyssey, Total War Three Kingdoms, etc, while my single core performance is about the same as what PBO+200 + Auto OC can provide.

Went from 7354 in C20 to 7898. Single core performance barely dropped, from 525 to 520.

Here's a thread on Reddit explaining how to do it.

From what I understand, if you don't have a 3900x, you're better off overclocking with PBO / Auto OC. But if you have a 3900x, you have this interesting option in order to extract a bit more juice.

You recommend switching PBO on now? I don't know if im being overly cautious but I am hesitant to switch it on with the current state of the CPU's (high volt issue, high temps on idle etc) until we get proper BIOS and AMD fix the problems.

No, it's perfectly safe. AMD had repeatedly explained this. It's apparently normal for their core to jump anywhere up to 1.48V. Their processors have been made that way. It's part of the architecture.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any 5700XT owners dealing with constant crashing?

I'm not sure if it's the drivers or the Adrenaline software, but this shit isn't stable at all. I'm going to try installing the drivers without Adrenaline, but that'll suck because I like some of those tools.

I hate to say it but I'm on the verge of returning my card to Microcenter. The shitty part is I'm not going to find anything as powerful as the 5700XT for $350.

I'm not sure if I should just hang in there and wait for AMD to fix their shit, or return it while I still can?

Yes I had many issues, even re-installing Windows. The trick for me was to install the AMD driver but only the video driver. It's a shitshow right now using Radeon settings so I don't even have it installed. By just installing the video driver ONLY (19.7.2) I have had zero crashes.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I had many issues, even re-installing Windows. The trick for me was to install the AMD driver but only the video driver. It's a shitshow right now using Radeon settings so I don't even have it installed. By just installing the video driver ONLY (19.7.2) I have had zero crashes.

Glad to hear! I'm going to test it out when I get home.

Are you using Afterburner at all? I'm not sure if overlays in general are a problem, or just Adrenaline?

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
New nvidia driver, same issue.
"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Pooof

Hopefully I can play Cyberpunk 2077.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
What is the best GPU I can get on ebay for less than $50? Any suggestions? I just need something that will handle productivity applications such as fusion 360 and photoshop for a computer I'm giving away to a workshop. It would be paired with a 4690k.

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread...

Last edited:

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Hold on, deus ex mankind works now with the latest driver...gonna try copying over late game saves to sanity check, and then try a new game of witcher 3 in case something about the save is fucked. Or it could be there's multiple bugs and this driver just fixed the most egregious one.

EDIT: Nope...Deus Ex crashes with nvidia display driver restarting and WHEA errors. The new driver does nothing for these bugs. See yall in a few weeks lulz.

Shoulda paid attention to the release notes, it's new cards and games, not bug fixes.

431.60 - WHQL

Game Ready Drivers provide the best possible gaming experience for all major new releases, including Virtual Reality games. Prior to a new title launching, our driver team is working up until the last minute to ensure every performance tweak and bug fix is included for the best gameplay on day-1.

Game Ready
Provides the optimal gaming experience for Wolfenstein: Youngblood, Wolfenstein: Cyberpilot, and Madden NFL 20

Gaming Technology
Adds support for GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GPUs
Adds support for new G-SYNC compatible monitors

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017
My Ryzen 7 3700X arrived a moment ago.

Mine came in without any bubble wrap, just in a big box where it can slide around. Is that normal? o.o;

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
Finally pulled the trigger and I'm upgrading my i7 2600k after 7ish years. Man what a hell of a platform Sandy Bridge was, too bad Intel's never come close since to emulating how good that gen was. I took advantage of one of the Newegg combo deals and got an R5 3600 and Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4. It's not the greatest board but the 3000 series doesn't seem to have much OC headroom above PBO so I expect the MB to do just fine. Almost went for the 3700x but since I only game I don't think it's going to make a noticeable difference for the next 4+ years.

Now to decide whether to replace my Radeon Fury with the 5700 XT or 2070 Super.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL

So Jim at Adored speculates that the Ryzen 3000 series' lack of capability to clock in the 5GHz range has more to do with quality of silicon and less to do with the architecture and 7nm process themselves. Basically, The highest quality chiplets are being reserved for the Epyc 2 CPUs. He thinks that Eypc 3 will use Zen 3, while the Ryzen 4000 series next year will just use the better binned Zen 2 chiplets that were previously being reserved for Epyc 2, which will likely be able to hit 5GHz plus stock. It stinks that this will be his last non-patreon speculation video though.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017

So Jim at Adored speculates that the Ryzen 3000 series' lack of capability to clock in the 5GHz range has more to do with quality of silicon and less to do with the architecture and 7nm process themselves. Basically, The highest quality chiplets are being reserved for the Epyc 2 CPUs. He thinks that Eypc 3 will use Zen 3, while the Ryzen 4000 series next year will just use the better binned Zen 2 chiplets that were previously being reserved for Epyc 2, which will likely be able to hit 5GHz plus stock. It stinks that this will be his last non-patreon speculation video though.

It does, it really does, but I can understand why. The amount of shit that gets flung at him daily is ridiculous, he even left Reddit a while back. Der8auer recently posted a video saying much the same thing - a lot of fanboys on both sides are giving him a lot of crap and he's sick of it. I've always seen Der8auer as someone who's pretty platform agnostic and who just does it because he's enthusiastic about tech, but try and convince the mouth breathers of that.

Jim hears a lot of rumours and he chooses to share with us the ones he thinks are more likely to be true. He also prefaces each rumour by saying that a) they're rumours and not fact and b) they could be very wrong. He also makes educated guesses of his own and also makes sure to say that he could be wrong. He never says, "This is how it is and it is absolute fact". So why people get so upset when some of those rumours turn out to be not true (either partially or completely) is beyond me - for the most part he is just passing on what he has heard from sources that have been reliable, and when passing on information he thinks might be likely from sources he doesn't know, he makes sure to tell us this.

As far as I can see, mostly people are upset that he predicted Navi to have GeForce 1080 TI performance for about €250. The 5700 XT is, on average, 6% slower than that card, so he got that right. Everyone - EVERYONE - expected the RX 5700/XT cards to be around the $250 mark, because they were rumoured to be the mid-range replacements for Polaris. This is further implied by the fact that they were initially going to be called the RX 680 series. I understand people getting upset over expectation of price but it's not Jim's fault that AMD changed their pricing so significantly nor did he ever say outright would be around $250 - anyone making an educated guess around then would have guessed the same, since AMD's mid-range traditionally were at that price point.

But statements such as, "He just passes on what he hears, choosing which rumours that reach him and which he thinks are likely, and always warns that both the rumours and his guesses could be wrong" apparently mean nothing to the majority out there who took everything he ever said as gospel and then got pissed when he turned out to be wrong on something. Mention his name as a source anywhere on Reddit and you'll have someone jumping down your throat for doing so. Forget all that he predicted that turned out to be correct.

It sucks that he's going Patreon only for his speculative videos, but I also think it's perfectly understandable. Now only actual fans will get to see them and engage with him, and he won't have to deal with all the abuse from people accusing him of blind fanboyism for one company or another. How long until Der8auer does the same, I wonder?

...back on-topic, 5GHz parts for Ryzen sound amazing.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017

Lol seems like I've just watched it before he took it down.

Idk why he doubles down on that 5GHz thing. Now he's blaming AMD for those "leakers" playing him and letting his speculations go out of hand.

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
Is it worth it to get ddr4-3600 over ddr4-3200? I'm eyeing the Trident Z RGB 2x16gb ddr4-3600 and it hasn't been in stock for over 3 weeks.

What 2x16gb ram is recommended for the 3900x?

Last edited:

chapel

Oct 25, 2017
Is it worth it to get ddr4-3600 over ddr4-3200? I'm eyeing the Trident Z RGB 2x16gb ddr4-3600 and it hasn't been in stock for over 3 weeks.

What 2x16gb ram is recommended for the 3900x?
I got the Trident Z 3200 CL14 instead of 3600 CL16.

Regarding performance of memory, there is a difference but not much, see this video

My ultimate goal is to push my 3200 to 3600 or as high as possible so I get the best of both worlds.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Weird question: what happens if you combine motion interpolation with AMD anti lag? Does it cancel out much of the latency increase?

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Does upgrading from an i7-4790K to a Ryzen 3000 CPU make sense, specifically if I'm mostly playing with emulators?

I don't really play many games on my PC anymore other than PoE, but I'm always running some random emulator.

Is there any point in going from a 4790K to a 3700x in this scenario?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Does upgrading from an i7-4790K to a Ryzen 3000 CPU make sense, specifically if I'm mostly playing with emulators?

I don't really play many games on my PC anymore other than PoE, but I'm always running some random emulator.

Do you feel your system is in any way holding you back?

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

yes

111185.png

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Built my son a PC for his upcoming birthday running a Ryzen 5 3600 on an ASRock B450M Pro4 w/ 32GB of PC3200. Wanted something on the compact side for him to take to college with him so he's not tied to a laptop all the time, went with the Thermaltake Level 20VT case and a RGB kit of 1 200mm fan and 3 140mm fans. Ended up using the Wraith Prism that came with my 3700x since I have a Corsair H100i setup in my machine. Put in a 1TB Intel 660p m.2 drive and 2 Seagate 2.5" 2TB SSHD drives from when they were $60 a pop on Prime Day. Still need to do a little cable cleanup, but overall super happy with how cool and quiet it's running. He's coming from an R5 1600, so should be be pretty substantial performance jump for him.

I'm kind of jealous of it, may end up picking the same case up for me once he's back at college. :)

Sgk8mnN.jpg
RQrGErk.jpg

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think my system is holding me back, but it's just that it would be nice to have the latest tech to make everything run just a bit more smoother, especially demanding emulation software like Dolphin~~~

Ah jeez, my CPU ain't even on the list.

I can only imagine how much further back it's fallen.
Mine isn't either!=O I still want to go AMD though.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think my system is holding me back, but it's just that it would be nice to have the latest tech to make everything run just a bit more smoother, especially demanding emulation software like Dolphin~~~

Ah jeez, my CPU ain't even on the list.

I can only imagine how much further back it's fallen.
Again, are you ACTUALLY having issues in dolphin? Your use case doesn't immediately scream "go out and pay for a whole new system".

Also... they left out an important metric to that test which is the results of a real wii.

61736.png

That puts the 4770 at 450 on that chart, and a real wii (the thing you'd have to match to get full speed in this particular use case) 1050, or more than twice as fast.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Again, are you ACTUALLY having issues in dolphin? Your use case doesn't immediately scream "go out and pay for a whole new system".

Also... they left out an important metric to that test which is the results of a real wii.

61736.png

That puts the 4770 at 450 on that chart, and a real wii (the thing you'd have to match to get full speed in this particular use case) 1050, or more than twice as fast.
Nope, not having any issues whatsoever with the current rig.

Just being greedy and looking for reasons to splurge~~~

:V

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, not having any issues whatsoever with the current rig.

Just being greedy and looking for reasons to splurge~~~

:V
I can understand that, and have been battling it myself, though more on the graphics card front. I have to use this exact line of reasoning on myself. There is something emotionally satisfying about a new computer system, but then you have to find use cases to justify it. I don't have good reason to nor the spare funds regardless.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
Built my son a PC for his upcoming birthday running a Ryzen 5 3600 on an ASRock B450M Pro4 w/ 32GB of PC3200. Wanted something on the compact side for him to take to college with him so he's not tied to a laptop all the time, went with the Thermaltake Level 20VT case and a RGB kit of 1 200mm fan and 3 140mm fans. Ended up using the Wraith Prism that came with my 3700x since I have a Corsair H100i setup in my machine. Put in a 1TB Intel 660p m.2 drive and 2 Seagate 2.5" 2TB SSHD drives from when they were $60 a pop on Prime Day. Still need to do a little cable cleanup, but overall super happy with how cool and quiet it's running. He's coming from an R5 1600, so should be be pretty substantial performance jump for him.

I'm kind of jealous of it, may end up picking the same case up for me once he's back at college. :)

I've been looking at getting that case. Want a relative smaller case than what I have now and one that looks nice. That is probably the nicest looking case you can find. So you managed to keep it pretty cool? Where did you put your fans?

EDIT: Nevermind about the fan placement, the pictures didnt load initially for me.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I've been looking at getting that case. Want a relative smaller case than what I have now and one that looks nice. That is probably the nicest looking case you can find. So you managed to keep it pretty cool? Where did you put your fans?

EDIT: Nevermind about the fan placement, the pictures didnt load initially for me.

Yeah, it was super easy to get everything set up, and being able to rotate the sides/top/bottom/front to position the motherboard in any direction you want is really handy. I ended up putting most of the excess cable in the 3.5" drive bay since I wasn't using it. Probably going to end up getting one myself when it's all said and done.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

61736.png

dolphin was just an example of emulation. Ryzen 3000 does good in dolphin, there is a good chance it does good in PS3 emulation, Wii U emulation and so on.