• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I'm personally using the ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus and it's working wonders! Plus, it's not incredibly expensive and you also have Wi-Fi.

This almost tripped me up, so thought I'd mention it - the TUF Gaming X570-Plus does not come with wifi or bluetooth. For that, you'd need the TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WI-FI) edition of the board. Official run-down of the differences here.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know why they didn't test with higher settings or 4K. I mean would anyone play AC Odyssey on medium with a 2080 Ti? I would expect as the details and resolution go up the difference between 3600 and higher end CPUs would shrink to nothing. In Techspot's review AC Odyssey 1440p Very high does not seem to scale much beyond 6c/6t as the 9600K and 3600 gives about the same results as 3700X.
Can confirm that AC Odyssey is actually running at lower FPS with my 3900x than my old 4770k at 1440p. Its infinitely smoother though, no jittering at all whereas with the 4770k it happened quite a bit, especially in the big cities.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
This almost tripped me up, so thought I'd mention it - the TUF Gaming X570-Plus does not come with wifi or bluetooth. For that, you'd need the TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WI-FI) edition of the board. Official run-down of the differences here.

Ah sorry, I thought all TUF Gaming X570-Plus were created equal. For what it's worth, there were only one SKU available on newegg when it came out.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Can confirm that AC Odyssey is actually running at lower FPS with my 3900x than my old 4770k at 1440p. Its infinitely smoother though, no jittering at all whereas with the 4770k it happened quite a bit, especially in the big cities.

This is why FPS can be misleading metric.
Especially true with some Ubisoft games, frame times scale will with threads (not cores, you'll want hyperthreading) , but fps does not.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Ah sorry, I thought all TUF Gaming X570-Plus were created equal. For what it's worth, there were only one SKU available on newegg when it came out.

That's fair. :) I'm not sure how prevalent the non-Wi-Fi version is relative to Wi-Fi, but I had the fright of my life when I realised there were two similar versions and that Wi-Fi wasn't standard across the range. It's sad to see that the naming system for motherboards hasn't got any better in the 6 years since I last built a system, because it really is needlessly confusing.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
At least the Pulse is good enough and at a decent price.
That is if you're in the US.

It's only listed on amazon.fr at 449€ (and 469 on another site) where I live and honestly at that price I'd rather downgrade a little to a 2060S and save 50€ in the process (+2 games).
No price on the others EU amazon

Early times though and the price might come down closer to 400-410€ as more sites get stock

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yup, I'm eyeing the Pulse as well, as it seems to be the best bang for buck of the now announced cards. There's 2 stores in NL currently listing them, and the cheapest is at 489 Euro >.<
Hopefully more stores will be putting them up in the coming days and prices will normalise. I also kind of want to see more cards reviewed, so I can see if there is actually a better one at a decent pricepoint, but looks like they spread out the embargos all through the coming week or something.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Speedstep/CnQ is not working for me and I am not finding any settings for PStates in the Bios (ASRock x470)
CPU is constantly on ~1.4v and not clocking down in idle. Tried resetting power modes, driver reinstall and everything. Not sure what to do... just wait for fixes?

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Speedstep/CnQ is not working for me and I am not finding any settings for PStates in the Bios (ASRock x470)
CPU is constantly on ~1.4v and not clocking down in idle. Tried resetting power modes, driver reinstall and everything. Not sure what to do... just wait for fixes?
Is it overclocked? With the previous chips overclocking would keep the voltage steady, and the clock hovering between a narrow range. But it's still using much less power when idle.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Is it overclocked? With the previous chips overclocking would keep the voltage steady, and the clock hovering between a narrow range. But it's still using much less power when idle.
It's set to Auto, but always clocked at 4,2 at least that's what CPUZ/HWINFO tells me.
Ryzen Master is reporting actual different numbers with the clock going up and down from ~1ghz to ~4,2ghz

If I turn on power saver mode it actually clocks down to 2.2ghz and all tools report the same values. It's so weird... what to trust?

3700X btw.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I hate this recent way of introducing AIB cards when they send the cards for reviews but conveniently forget to send the price of the card in the same package.
Depending on the price it may be "meh" or not, hard to tell.
I was judging from a performance standpoint. A card of those dimensions should be able to deliver more performance, really. I am now waiting for tests of the MSI Evoke and MSI Mech/Armor and of course a Sapphire Nitro+.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
It's set to Auto, but always clocked at 4,2 at least that's what CPUZ/HWINFO tells me.
Ryzen Master is reporting actual different numbers with the clock going up and down from ~1ghz to ~4,2ghz

If I turn on power saver mode it actually clocks down to 2.2ghz and all tools report the same values. It's so weird... what to trust?

3700X btw.
It's a known issue, AMD are blaming certain programs that are causing it to ramp all the time like that.

I personally just leave it set to power saver mode in windows. If I'm running a game which is negatively affected by that mode, I swap it back while I'm playing said game.

With it set to Ryzen Balanced like they recommended I was going insane with the fans randomly ramping up. The only way you could minimise it was to make a really generous fan curve but even that doesn't entirely solve the issue.

Deleted member 25042

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Debating between a 2060S and a 5700 XT Pulse for 50€ more.
On one hand the Pulse is faster and might get better with time as it's a new architecture, on the other the 2060S is cheaper, has RT HW (for what it's worth), and comes with two games (already have gamepass ultimate for a while so the 3 months of PC game pass don't do much for me)
Been flip-flopping between the two all day...

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
On one hand the Pulse is faster and might get better with time as it's a new architecture, on the other the 2060S is cheaper, has RT HW (for what it's worth), and comes with two games (already have gamepass ultimate for a while so the 3 months of PC game pass don't do much for me)
I would take the Pulse ...

Frankfurter

Oct 27, 2017

3700X btw.

Trust Ryzen Master over other tools for now. Afaik there is an "issue" with these new Ryzens changing between different states so fast that most tools can't properly detect those.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So those msi oc results actually look pretty good. I do think a 64 cu rdna chip will be Beasty.

Do we have any confirmation of if AMD can produce something with more than 64 cus without going to a dual GPU config?

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Id go with the xt.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Trust Ryzen Master over other tools for now. Afaik there is an "issue" with these new Ryzens changing between different states so fast that most tools can't properly detect those.
As far as I'm aware there's two issues going on with the new Ryzen CPUs. There is some issues with reporting in some of the pieces of software, but this issue is entirely different to that. Background tasks seem to be causing the boost to keep being activated which in turn causes CPUs to be running at 1.4-1.5v and 50-60C when idle. The only real solution I've found to this is to use the low power mode in windows which allows the CPU to clock down to 0.95v/2.2ghz when idle. Obviously it means the CPU isn't quite as snappy on the desktop but it beats the fans going crazy because of how hot it was running when idle.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
So those msi oc results actually look pretty good. I do think a 64 cu rdna chip will be Beasty.

Do we have any confirmation of if AMD can produce something with more than 64 cus without going to a dual GPU config?
There's no apparent limit to WGP count in RDNA. The question of how it will actually scale is a different one though and we won't have an answer until we'll get more than one Navi GPU.

Nov 8, 2017

Turing is also a basically new arch, fwiw.

Next gen consoles will have some form of hardware accelerated RT and Turing has variable rate shading support baked in so if you are trying to guess which card will age better long term I'm not sure if the smart money is on first gen Navi.

for the nguyen

Enlightened
Oct 30, 2017
North Carolina
For the 3900X owners in here, how are your idle temps? I just installed a Noctua NH-U14S and I'm getting around 38-45c idle. Is this normal?

I haven't done any gaming yet, so I'm not sure how it's gonna hold up during load.

Deleted member 25042

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Turing is also a basically new arch, fwiw.

Next gen consoles will have some form of hardware accelerated RT and Turing has variable rate shading support baked in so if you are trying to guess which card will age better long term I'm not sure if the smart money is on first gen Navi.

Not how I meant it (edit: badly worded on my part though now that i' reading my post).
If we're talking architectures, Turing is to me the more robust and forward looking of the two.
I was just saying that Navi being released just a little over a month now, AMD might get some more perf out of it through drivers updates in the near future (emphasis on "might").

And I don't keep GPUs very long.
I'm very likely to buy another GPU even before next gen consoles come out.

Kinda leaning towards the XT right now, it's faster and the pulse is a nicer model than the 2060S I could get for 50€ less, but honestly driver support seems somewhat dodgy as of now so I don't know.
Might stil get it and send it back if not satisfied with it.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
For the 3900X owners in here, how are your idle temps? I just installed a Noctua NH-U14S and I'm getting around 38-45c idle. Is this normal?

I haven't done any gaming yet, so I'm not sure how it's gonna hold up during load.

My 3900x is at about ~33-36c idle with a kraken x62 in an h510 elite case (not great for cooling). Reading is from Ryzen Master.

Mar 27, 2019
Is it safe to run DRAM voltage at 1.45v? I've got my ram stable at 3200mhz at 1.35 even though its rated for 3600. Won;t post with XMP however. Running a x570 asus mobo and 3700x. Debating if I should push for 3400 or 3600mhz on the ram.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
For all you new Zen 2 owners out there, have you found any way to get core voltages down while running Corsair ICUE? Its basically locked at 1.45-1.48 when I have ICUE running, and back down to 0.9-1.1 when I close it. Kind of annoying cuz I like having my red/blue LED setup but can't run the damn program.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
For all you new Zen 2 owners out there, have you found any way to get core voltages down while running Corsair ICUE? Its basically locked at 1.45-1.48 when I have ICUE running, and back down to 0.9-1.1 when I close it. Kind of annoying cuz I like having my red/blue LED setup but can't run the damn program.
I've got a program running doing something similar, not sure which. I've just resigned myself to swapping between power saver power option when idle/browsing and then swap it back to ryzen balanced when gaming until there's a fix.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Holymoly I need to check if this is the cause for me. Never tried closing those programs.
Regarding ICUE - can't you uplaod a color scheme to the firmware so it runs this specific color setup as default? I think there is an option.

for the nguyen

Enlightened
Oct 30, 2017
North Carolina

I also have iCUE running for my keyboard. I use Ryzen Balance power plan and configure the minimum processor state to 5%. It helped with my high idle voltage.