• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

·feist·

Oct 26, 2017
amd-ryzen-otqsj6r.png

Resources

An Update on AMD Processor Security [AMD]

MhL5R.gif
The PC Builders Thread 2017 [ResetEra]

MhL5R.gif
AMD: Tips for Building a Better AMD Ryzen™ System [AMD]

MhL5R.gif
AMD Ryzen: Part 1 The Chip, The Myth, The Legend [Level1Techs]

MhL5R.gif
AMD Ryzen CPU Optimization (GDC 2017) [AMD]

Reviews

MhL5R.gif
Should you Repeal and Replace your current gear?

MhL5R.gif
Ryzen 7, 5, 3:

c-plusx7s3l.gif
ajax-loader4gslm.gif
*PENDING*

MhL5R.gif
Ryzen APU:

MhL5R.gif
Ryzen Threadripper:

c-plusx7s3l.gif
ajax-loader4gslm.gif
*PENDING*

MhL5R.gif
Overclocking
c-plusx7s3l.gif
ajax-loader4gslm.gif
*PENDING*

rzen-memoryk4ao1.png

CPU Core Scaling + Memory Scaling

ajax-loaderwczyr.gif
DDR4 Memory Scaling on AMD AM4 Platform – The Best Memory Kit For AMD Ryzen CPUs [Legit Reviews]

ajax-loaderwczyr.gif
TechSpot: DDR4 Memory at 4000 MT/s, Does It Make a Difference?

ajax-loaderwczyr.gif
6, 8 or 10 CPU Cores Beat 4 Fast Cores [ComputerBase.de] | Google Translated

ajax-loaderwczyr.gif
4, 6 and 8 Cores Battle ——— Core i7 Face-Off: which is the fastest gaming CPU? [Eurogamer]

ryzen-4-years7kyxl.png

CPU Lineup

MhL5R.gif
Ryzen Threadripper AMD Threadripper 1920X and 1950X CPU Details: 12/16 Cores, 4 GHz Turbo, $799 and $999 [AnandTech]

MhL5R.gif
Ryzen 7 AMD Reveals Ryzen 7 CPU Lineup and Pricing [Bit-Tech.net]

MhL5R.gif
Ryzen 5 AMD Announces Ryzen 5 Lineup: Hex-Core from $219, Available April 11th [AnandTech]

MhL5R.gif
Ryzen 3 Ryzen 3 CPUs hit store shelves July 27 [The Tech Report]

ajax-loader4gslm.gif
Ryzen Mobile *PENDING*

MhL5R.gif
Ryzen PRO AMD Launches Ryzen PRO CPUs: Enhanced Security, Longer Warranty, Better Quality [AnandTech]

ryzen-lineupt1z7t.png

↑↑↑ via ComputerBase

am4-platform3dzw1.png

Motherboards, Chipsets and Compatibility

MhL5R.gif
AMD Socket AM4 Platform [AMD]

MhL5R.gif
AMD Socket TR4 Platform [AMD]

ryzen-die-shotw7uox.png

Architecture

MhL5R.gif
The "Zen" Core Architecture [AMD]

MhL5R.gif
AMD Finds Zen in Microarchitecture - New 14nm Zen Core Will Power Processors Across All Markets [David Kanter]

MhL5R.gif
AMD's Zen CPU is now called Ryzen, and it might actually challenge Intel [Ars Technica]

MhL5R.gif
AMD Claims Zen Architecture Powering Ryzen Processors Will Have A 4 Year Product Roadmap [HotHardware]

MhL5R.gif
AMD Gives More Zen Details: Ryzen, 3.4 GHz+, NVMe, Neural Net Prediction, & 25 MHz Boost Steps [AnandTech]

MhL5R.gif
(Japanese) AMD has released the next-generation CPU "Ryzen 7" family from March 2 [PC Watch (Impress)]

*Thread title courtesy PFD. There simply isn't a better one.*

Last edited:

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
A bit late for this, since there's not a lot of Ryzen news right now, but hey, it's great to have a place to keep track of everything Ryzen related on ResetEra.

OP
OP
·feist·

·feist·

Oct 26, 2017
Ryzen thread has risen again!

Welcome back
·feist·
Cheers.

A bit late for this, since there's not a lot of Ryzen news right now, but hey, it's great to have a place to keep track of everything Ryzen related on ResetEra.
Ryzen Mobile just made its debut, with products in the pipeline.

"Ryzen+" refresh/respin parts are supposedly not far off, to then be followed by Ryzen 2 and Ryzen 3 CPU generations.

[The Tech Report] —— HP Envy x360 15 brings Ryzen Mobile to the masses

[ExtremeTech] —— AMD's New Ryzen Mobile APUs Promise Much Higher Performance, Better Battery Life

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
Nice!

Ryzen Mobile offers significant improvement especially in features for power saving on top of the desktop Zen design. One feature that should be a benefit once it makes it back to the desktop is Precision Boost 2.

[AnandTech] —Ryzen Mobile is Launched: AMD APUs for Laptops, with Vega and Updated Zen

Most CPU turbo algorithms work by sensing how many cores and threads are under load, determining if the CPU has enough power headroom, and applying a voltage. This is why in the past both of the major x86 CPU manufacturers will quote a 'per-core turbo frequency' to show what the frequency should be when different numbers of cores are loaded and all else is fine (there is temperature/power headroom).

hjK65JT.jpg

For Ryzen Mobile, AMD is pivoting to a new turbo model. When the system is in the P0 (top) turbo state, the system will use a new opportunistic turbo algorithm that rather than being based on the cores under load, is governed by CPU temperatures, currents, and how much load is being applied. The algorithm takes into account all the environmental inputs, such as skin temperature sensors and battery life, and will provide the best turbo frequency it can, regardless of if one thread is being used or all threads are being used.

yvgxQC6.jpg

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Months have passed, and I'm still very happy with my Ryzen 5 1600 [OCd to 3.9, never tried to go to 4.0]

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well looks like I have ryzen :) The £133 deal on amazon a few days ago for the Ryzne 5 1600 was too tempting so finally jumping on the train even though really I don't need to with Ryzen+ coming soon. Gotta impulse buy sometimes.

Looking forward to the CPU coming as I have the ram/MB already. 12 threads should be a nice upgrade from my i5 4690K when compiling android.

Also I truly underestimated just how much ram prices of gone up and the availability. Whew!

Also good to see you here ·feist·

OP
OP
·feist·

·feist·

Oct 26, 2017
[Trusted Reviews] —— AMD Ryzen powers to best PC component of 2017 award honours

Also nominated in this category was Samsung's 960 Evo SSD, Corsair's Neutron SSDs, the Asus Z270-Prime motherboard and Intel's 8th-gen Core processors.

[ZDNet] —— AMD or Intel: Which is the right desktop processor for you?

You're in the market for a new desktop processor, but you're not sure which is the best processor for you?

Before we go any further, I feel the need to point something out. There are a lot of processors out there, and the market is rapidly changing, so it's impossible for me to tell you the exact processor you need. All I can do is offer pointers and guidance based on your needs.

Let's break down the market into four segments:

• BUDGET
  • MAINSTREAM
  • HIGH-END
  • EXTREME HIGH-END

Also good to see you here ·feist·
o/

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Right now Microcenter and NewEgg have a decent sale on Ryzen. Newegg has 1700x for $300, and Microcenter the same plus it also has 1800x for $350. Note that 1700 is about $280 so unless one wants a default cooler then 1700x is probably a better buy.

Still thinking about my build as 8000 series Intel is pretty much MIA in the wild.

OP
OP
·feist·

·feist·

Oct 26, 2017
AMD (Press Release) —— AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ 1950X Wins CES 2018 Best of Innovation Award

High-Performance processor deemed most innovative technology in Computer Hardware and Components category

SUNNYVALE, Calif., Nov. 09, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Today, AMD (NASDAQ:AMD) announced that its high-performance, enthusiast Ryzen™ Threadripper™ 1950X processor is the CES 2018 Best of Innovation Award winner in the Computer Hardware and Components category. Products entered in this prestigious program are judged by a panel of independent industrial designers, engineers, and members of the trade media to honor outstanding design and engineering in cutting-edge consumer electronics across 28 categories.
The AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X processor will be displayed at CES 2018, which runs January 9-12, 2018, in Las Vegas, Nevada. Best of Innovation Honorees are also displayed at CES Unveiled New York on November 9 at the Metropolitan Pavilion in New York City.

AMD —— Now available: Free NVMe RAID upgrade for AMD X399 chipset!

Level1Techs —— Infosec on the Threadripper NVMe Drivers, a Level1 Diagnostic
Level1Techs [YouTube] —— Infosec on the Threadripper NVMe Drivers, a Level1 Diagnostic

der8auer [YouTube] —— Finally figured out why THREADRIPPER has so many PCIe lanes (en)

HardwareCanucks [YouTube] —— Setting Up NVMe RAID On AMD Threadripper - INSANE Speeds!

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting video by der8auer, so a RAID with 8 Samsung 960 Pro NVMes using 32 PCIe lanes is sufficient to reach 2ch RAM speed (26.5GiB/s) and having to overclock the CPU to 4.2Ghz and RAM to 3200 to not limit it.

OP
OP
·feist·

·feist·

Oct 26, 2017
AnandTech —— Best CPUs for Gaming 2017

DOJfaPnUIAA2zVR.jpg

Why No Intel Overclockable SKUs!?!

Some users may have questions about us choosing the i7-8700 over the 8700K or 8600K. As a former world #2 overclocker many years ago, I still get the importance of overclocking. However:
  1. Over the overclockable i7-8700K, the answer both price (Newegg lists it as $420, out of stock; Amazon has no price) and stock performance: our initial testing results put the i7-8700K as only 0.3% ahead of the i7-8700.
  2. Over the cheaper and overclockable i5-8600K, it comes down to the single core turbo frequencies of the Core i5-8600K only barely hit the frequencies of the i7-8700 - at full core turbo, the i7-8700 will have all cores running at the best frequency of the Core i5-8600K. Users can overclock, and it should be easy, but not everyone does; in that way the i7-8700 is guaranteed. Also, the i7-8700 has double the threads, for when it matters. When this option was put to a poll in our launch day review, the readers overwhelmingly chose the i7-8700 over the i5-8600K by about 4:1.

92793.png

92811.png

90547.png

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
My wallet is still recovering, but boy am I glad to have picked a Ryzen 1600 to get back into PC gaming. :)

OP
OP
·feist·

·feist·

Oct 26, 2017

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hey! So i want to build a new pc and really want to get Ryzen with it, this is my doubts

Im mostly game and very little video editing, a 5 1600x its good for me?
How much of improvement its over the fx 8350(my current cpu)? Should i see improvement in daily tasks too?
Thanks!

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
It'll easily hit 100 FPS in most games. It won't be as fast as a 6 core i5, but on the other hand, you can overclock it without worrying about VRM temperatures. It'll also do pretty well in video rendering.
How much of improvement its over the fx 8350(my current cpu)? Should i see improvement in daily tasks too?
It's a massive jump in performance over the old AMD chips.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Any news on the Ryzen R7 revision coming in February - is it still on track? A friend is itching to upgrade his CPU and of course the 8700K is out of stock everywhere (plus typically $50-100 above retail price). I wasn't really sure that a R7 1700 would be such a great idea when the next R7 is due out in 3 months with supposedly much better clocks - like 4.3-4.5 Ghz range or will it be more like 4.1-4.2?

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Any news on the Ryzen R7 revision coming in February - is it still on track? A friend is itching to upgrade his CPU and of course the 8700K is out of stock everywhere (plus typically $50-100 above retail price). I wasn't really sure that a R7 1700 would be such a great idea when the next R7 is due out in 3 months with supposedly much better clocks - like 4.3-4.5 Ghz range or will it be more like 4.1-4.2?
Not really, which isn't too surprising, given how little AMD puts out before a product unveiling. They're probably making the chips, but won't reveal anything before the end of the year.

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Now that I have Ryzen I do wonder what was causing Anandtech to get the results they got on Ryzen vs even Threadripper where it isn't present. As on my system with a Ryzen 5 1600 it runs perfectly fine and can easily run >250fps if that limit wasn't there.
Edit -
One thing that is annoying so far is random system hangs(Not necessarily system but hard to describe) where for example if I was extracting in file in explorer then go to right-click the menu can sometimes be delayed.

Searched online for even suggestion including a complete Windows reinstall which i don't do(I did a refresh), Using HP power plan etc.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Now that I have Ryzen I do wonder what was causing Anandtech to get the results they got on Ryzen vs even Threadripper where it isn't present. As on my system with a Ryzen 5 1600 it runs perfectly fine and can easily run >250fps if that limit wasn't there.
Probably a combo of AGESA changes for more RAM compatibility, BIOS and firmware updates, and lots of games reoptimizing for more cores.

ronin_cse

Oct 30, 2017
Hey! So i want to build a new pc and really want to get Ryzen with it, this is my doubts

Thanks!

I did the same upgrade and it is a huge upgrade, not only for FPS but just for how snappy everything is. Have a 1080ti to go along with it but it was installed before I upgraded the CPU.

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Probably a combo of AGESA changes for more RAM compatibility, BIOS and firmware updates, and lots of games reoptimizing for more cores.
Yh I would guess although can't remember if they retested during the threadripper review. Anyways loving the system so far outside of the above issue although had some issues with Asrock and their fairly poor bios implementation on the AB350 itx.

Deleted member 27551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ive got a b350m gaming pro and ryzen 1600. Already posted in PC thread before but the newest bios update makes overclocking impossible. My pc needs the battery pulling out if I try to overclock or even down clock. Any one else have this problem, only way of sorting it is to flash to an old bios. I did this but then just put it back to the new bios and left it at stock speeds. Just gonna wait for an update that sorts this.
Anyway it's a great chip and comes with a decent cooler. I could get a stable 3.7 from the stock cooler, without touching voltages, before swapping back to the new bios. No problems on gaming so far.

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for that seems like it's better now or maybe placebo ;) . The spikes mainly came from nvidia/direct x driver and the common fix of setting "Prefer maximum performance" seems to be working.

Edit -

Yh seems like a placebo as I changed it back and wasn't getting any spike in LatencyMon like before and no hangs. Either issue seems fixed now. Thanks again.

Last edited:

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey OP many thx for the HP Envy X360 first impression links. Hope DELL can make good one with Ryzen Mobile. My next notebook of course will have ryzen5 or ryzen7.

OP
OP
·feist·

·feist·

Oct 26, 2017
Buildzoid (Actually Hardcore Overclocking) [YouTube] —— The elusive Ryzen 1.55GHz bug (a potential fix on gigabyte motherboards)

Hey OP many thx for the HP Envy X360 first impression links. Hope DELL can make good one with Ryzen Mobile. My next notebook of course will have ryzen5 or ryzen7.
At least one Ryzen Mobile-based Dell laptop was recently seen in some leaked benchmarks, so availability isn't far off.

the9thdude [YouTube] —— Ryzen 5 2500U - CS:GO Benchmark

https://twitter.com/AMD_UK/status/923922042864459777

dnjubmswaaafimpgkj2e.jpg

OP
OP
·feist·

·feist·

Oct 26, 2017
HotHardware —— Dell Inspiron 27 7000 All-In-One Review: Rocking AMD Ryzen And Radeon

HotHardware [YouTube] —— Dell Inspiron 27 7000 AiO PC Powered By Ryzen 7 And Radeon RX Review!

AMD [YouTube] —— AMD Takes the Stage at SC17

This year at Supercomputing 17, AMD is presenting a full suite of high-performance computing systems spanning across CPU and GPU technologies, all supported by ROCm software. The spotlight is on ecosystem partners offering a range of server and datacenter platforms supporting AMD EPYC™ processors and AMD Radeon Instinct™ accelerators.

Oct 27, 2017
So many Ryzen deals right now @_@

I'm tempted to jump on that 1700X for $229 at Micro Center (or Staples price match) or the 1600X for $199.99 at Amazon or Newegg (potentially $179.99 with Newegg gift card Groupon deal).

OP
OP
·feist·

·feist·

Oct 26, 2017
I'm tempted to jump on that 1700X for $229 at Micro Center (or Staples price match) or the 1600X for $199.99 at Amazon or Newegg (potentially $179.99 with Newegg gift card Groupon deal).
The 1600X at stock speeds is nice for those who don't want to overclock, but without the additional coupon deal you mentioned the 1700X seems the better current and long term option.

So many Ryzen deals right now @_@
Indeed, in several countries:

Guru3D —— AMD Ryzen and Threadripper Prices Over The Weekend Dropped Significantly

There is something going on, at the time of writing I can only speak for the EU and specifically Netherlands and Germany right now, but there have been price drops spotted on AMD Ryzen processors up-to 30%, Example, you can purchase an 8-core flagship Ryzen 7 1800X processor (normally €499) for roughly €340 euros.
The news reaches us through our Dutch colleagues at HWI, who had a couple of users notice it. They checked some Dutch and Germany based etailers. I took the search results towards Geizehals as well and noticed even lower prices. If this applies to your region, now might be a great time to purchase something Ryzen. The price drop seems to have an effect on the entire range. The below table courtesy to HWI shows the prices based on the Netherlands, however, if you browse for a 1800X at Geizhals, be surprised. €249 for 16 threads? €199 for 12 threads :-)

ryzen-price-dropslji1.png

Update: we have received reports from the Nordics and the UK that the price drops are in effect there as well. USA Newegg is also showing lower prices. And a report from Australia just came in as well, this is a worldwide price drop. We asked, but AMD has no comments currently on what we are seeing.

TechSpot —— Intel increases production of Coffee Lake while Ryzen gets cheaper —— Record low Ryzen pricing while Intel struggles to produce enough

Even though the i7 8700k could be the best gaming CPU right now depending on which games you are playing, actually getting a hold of one has been difficult. The above suggested retail pricing combined with a lack of stock has reduced its price to performance value, but that does not seem to be stopping many consumers from still trying to buy one.

What will potentially put a dent in sales for Coffee Lake, however, is the price reduction of Ryzen. Over the weekend, Ryzen CPUs hit record low prices. The Ryzen 7 1700X reached a new low of just $229.99 at Microcenter beating the Ryzen 7 1700 by $20. At leading online retailers, Ryzen is still available at considerable discounts.

Most noteworthy Ryzen discounts so far are as follows (Ryzen had already received price cuts after launch, but these makes them ever more attractive):
  • Ryzen 3 1200 was $109 is now $99
  • Ryzen 5 1600 was $200 is now $190
  • Ryzen 5 1600x was $220 is now $200
  • Ryzen 7 1700 was $300 is now $270
  • Ryzen 7 1700x was $350 is now $280
  • Ryzen 7 1800x was $420 is now $320
  • Ryzen Threadripper 1920x was $799 is now $650
  • Ryzen Threadripper 1950x was $999 is now $800

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
These prices have me interested, but I am going to need to get some better RAM for this. RAM prices still ridiculous atm? I'd like to get a pcie SSD at some point in the future, so what are you guys' picks for dual pcie mobos for a 1700x or 1800x?

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
These prices have me interested, but I am going to need to get some better RAM for this. RAM prices still ridiculous atm? I'd like to get a pcie SSD at some point in the future, so what are you guys' picks for dual pcie mobos for a 1700x or 1800x?
Yes sadly. I don't see that improving anything time soon until like second half of 2018 or something.

zoobzone

Nov 2, 2017
My NAS shat itself yesterday. I've been looking into building one powered by Ryzen, but unfortunately there are still no chips with IGP built in. If I get a discrete GPU just to get video out, it really kills the budget. So I'm gonna have to go Intel again, maybe i3 7100 or a Pentium 4500.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about to jump on a G.Skill TridentZ 16GB DDR4 3200MHz for $140 on OfferUp. Seems to be the best I can get for a while.

RAM prices are way too crazy right now, especially for a 32GB set.

There's also an Asrock Taichi X370 MB for $140 on OfferUp that's brand new. Should I get that?

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
My NAS shat itself yesterday. I've been looking into building one powered by Ryzen, but unfortunately there are still no chips with IGP built in. If I get a discrete GPU just to get video out, it really kills the budget. So I'm gonna have to go Intel again, maybe i3 7100 or a Pentium 4500.
You call that a NAS? My NAS has no graphics.