• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
AMD Statement on Theft of Graphics IP

March 25, 2020

At AMD, data security and the protection of our intellectual property are a priority. In December 2019, we were contacted by someone who claimed to have test files related to a subset of our current and future graphics products, some of which were recently posted online, but have since been taken down.

While we are aware the perpetrator has additional files that have not been made public, we believe the stolen graphics IP is not core to the competitiveness or security of our graphics products. We are not aware of the perpetrator possessing any other AMD IP.

We are working closely with law enforcement officials and other experts as a part of an ongoing criminal investigation.

Tom's Hardware: AMD's Big Navi and Xbox Series X GPU 'Arden' Source Code Stolen and Leaked

AMD posted a press release to its website today announcing that it had found stolen graphics IP posted online, followed quickly by news from Torrentfreak that the information pertains to source code for Big Navi and Arden GPUs. Torrentfreak claims to have contacted the hacker responsible, who claims the information is worth $100 million and is seeking bidders.

AMD has filed 'at least two DCMA notices' against Github repos that contained the stolen source code for the company's Navi 10, Navi 21, and Arden GPUs. The latter is arguably the most interesting as it powers Microsoft's forthcoming Xbox Series X consoles, while Navi 21 is thought to be the design for the RDNA 2 'Big Navi' GPUs.

Github has since removed the repositories, but there are other sources, including via a post on 4chan, hosting the leaked information. Torrentfreak purportedly contacted the hacker and she projects the information is worth $100 million. If she doesn't get a buyer, she says she will just "leak everything." The hacker claims she found the unencrypted information in a computer/server hacked via exploits.

A screenshot of the recent github leak:

1kxjno.png

Last edited:

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Been really curious as to what is going on behind the scenes with this. I imagine Sony in particular is not pleased with AMD

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To me, this is the craziest thing thats happened this gen. Sony's entire next gen plans were leaked in these files not in December 2019 but well before that. December was when rogame found it, but they were out for months before that.

Komachi leaked Oberon 2.0 ghz clocks in July 2019 which was taken from the same github folder. There were several people who contacted the intern who supposedly left his resume and personal information in the github folder, but it was never taken down. Which seems odd, but it seems he didnt put up that folder in the first place.

There was a reddit leak in January which correctly predicted the Lockhart, Anaconda tflops count and said the PS5 was $399 at 8 tflops which is what Ariel was at the time. 1.8 ghz with 36 CUs = 8 tflops.

Albert Penello was also sure that the PS5 was $399 and 8 tflops going back to december of last year I believe, and MS insiders were a 100% sure that the PS5 would be weaker than the Xbox back in April 2019 when the wired article first appeared. No one knew what the PS5 specs were at the time, so this github folder was making rounds at least before the first Wired Article. We all just assumed that third party devs were leaking PS5 specs to MS insiders and MS execs like Penello, but now we know devkits didnt go out until after the first wired article.

Absolutely mind boggling stuff. hmqqq also said he pulled the github folder which is weird. How can he pull a folder that's not his? It's amazing how Sony's plans were leaked so far ahead of time that MS was able to come up with their two console strategy almost two years ago to beat Sony at both performance and price. Sony is probably super pissed about this. lol

nullZr0

Alt account
Banned
Mar 2, 2020
I'm pretty confident that Github caused Sony to boost their clocks at the last minute.

hmqgg

Nov 1, 2017
I was about to say sorry about the intern.

But that's a new leak?

Okay, good luck AMD. The security training lmao.

OP
OP
kostacurtas

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone even saw the OP?

This is not about the PS5 github leak.

Someone upload on github a few days ago test results for these GPUs:

1kxjno.png

Now this upload has been taken down from AMD.

The thefts are claiming that they have more stolen tests.

Last edited:

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely mind boggling stuff. hmqqq also said he pulled the github folder which is weird. How can he pull a folder that's not his? It's amazing how Sony's plans were leaked so far ahead of time that MS was able to come up with their two console strategy almost two years ago to beat Sony at both performance and price. Sony is probably super pissed about this. lol

pull in git means to download. Anyone can pull a public repo.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To me, this is the craziest thing thats happened this gen. Sony's entire next gen plans were leaked in these files not in December 2019 but well before that. December was when rogame found it, but they were out for months before that.

Komachi leaked Oberon 2.0 ghz clocks in July 2019 which was taken from the same github folder. There were several people who contacted the intern who supposedly left his resume and personal information in the github folder, but it was never taken down. Which seems odd, but it seems he didnt put up that folder in the first place.

There was a reddit leak in January which correctly predicted the Lockhart, Anaconda tflops count and said the PS5 was $399 at 8 tflops which is what Ariel was at the time. 1.8 ghz with 36 CUs = 8 tflops.

Albert Penello was also sure that the PS5 was $399 and 8 tflops going back to december of last year I believe, and MS insiders were a 100% sure that the PS5 would be weaker than the Xbox back in April 2019 when the wired article first appeared. No one knew what the PS5 specs were at the time, so this github folder was making rounds at least before the first Wired Article. We all just assumed that third party devs were leaking PS5 specs to MS insiders and MS execs like Penello, but now we know devkits didnt go out until after the first wired article.

i really doubt it affected ms plan, the one that changed its plans was sony since they went above the 8tf they always targeted. ms expected 8tf and went with 4 and 12 and sony made adjustments

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
This is a new leak unrelated to PS5. The Arden GPU leaked in the picture is used in the Series X, not the PS5.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Are you assuming they could have launched in 2019 with RDNA 2?
There are too many rumors from both sides about them aiming for 2019 originally at this point. I think they could have launched with RDNA 1.5 and had some RDNA2 features then like how PS4 Pro had some AMD GPU features a year early.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing how Sony's plans were leaked so far ahead of time that MS was able to come up with their two console strategy almost two years ago to beat Sony at both performance and price. Sony is probably super pissed about this. lol
Nothing you say here is confirmed...
No prices announced
No performance difference shown
No two console strategy announced

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
So will we get a deep dive into the Arden GitHub file or is that unnecessary with the information MS already provided?
A hacker has claimed credit for the leak. She's offered the data up to anyone who pays her $100 million. In case no such offer arrives soon, she'll release it all for free. What she posted on GitHub is apparently only part of what she extracted. Here's an article with details -

As for a deep dive into Arden, honestly, I would really love that. We haven't actually seen any proper performance numbers relating to Series X.

Jekked

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 24, 2020
A hacker has claimed credit for the leak. She's offered the data up to anyone who pays her $100 million. In case no such offer arrives soon, she'll release it all for free. What she posted on GitHub is apparently only part of what she extracted. Here's an article with details -

As for a deep dive into Arden, honestly, I would really love that. We haven't actually seen any proper performance numbers relating to Series X.

wtf is happening at AMD? This is the second leak.

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

So the hacker is gonna release everything for free.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
So what could this data give people? Would it just make it easier to hack the series x if people have the Arden source code?

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious to see what's in the leak regarding Big Navi at least. We don't know much about how AMD is actually doing this except the rumor that the implementation is a bit different than the Series X or PS5 versions. $100m though? LOL that's not going to work. No one is going to pay for this stuff and this kind of blackmail is despicable.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
"Give me $100 million or its free" doesn't sound like a strong negotiation tactic.