• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They really need to get some better antagonists going, Technological Boy is painful to watch.

Otherwise still interesting to see where this goes.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
I love that intro storyline.
That Nansi scene was soooo good.

Mr. World is the big bad. Technology boy is just lackey hence his fate

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando Jones putting in work this season. I miss Gillian Anderson.

Alpende

Oct 26, 2017
All caught up now and I think it's on par with season 1. The visuals are still amazing and the story seems to be ramping up now.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Enjoyable episode, but still - what the hell is up with Techno boy? And the power levels of these gods? How do you exactly retire a god and why can Mr World do that shit.

I'm confused, because Techno boy should be one of the most powerful of all. Like the man said, he is fucking binary. Binary literally rules our entire world and now shapes the continents themselves. It underlies basically all of our tech, or at least the important tech that can blow up the fucking world and controls our money. Mr World literally elaborated on the latter part in his evil monologue.

So how exactly did he become obsolete? Argus was a literal underling under him. New Media would be the one obsolete with her much more narrow focus; she's the same as Argus! She's some god existing off of tech. I'm still trying to figure out Mr World's plan.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Enjoyable episode, but still - what the hell is up with Techno boy? And the power levels of these gods? How do you exactly retire a god and why can Mr World do that shit.

I'm confused, because Techno boy should be one of the most powerful of all. Like the man said, he is fucking binary. Binary literally rules our entire world and now shapes the continents themselves. It underlies basically all of our tech, or at least the important tech that can blow up the fucking world and controls our money. Mr World literally elaborated on the latter part in his evil monologue.

So how exactly did he become obsolete? Argus was a literal underling under him. New Media would be the one obsolete with her much more narrow focus; she's the same as Argus! She's some god existing off of tech. I'm still trying to figure out Mr World's plan.

Once you start making distinctions for what these gods represent, you can make up any power rules you want. Like you say Technology is binary? Well maybe there's a god of Math? And Math beats Tech. And Math beats Money, etc. Its completely arbitrary and not meant to be spelled out in detail.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This show is totally losing me. Feels like the plot is totally aimless and going nowhere and I'm not really into the characters, Odin aside. I honestly have no idea what Shadow Moon's purpose is or what kinda guy is he even supposed to be.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Can someone explain what was supposed to be happening (story-wise) in the non-Wednesday parts? I'm still confused.

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm one underwhelming episode from bailing on it. Feels like the characters are just running around doing errands to set up something big. And, I'm running short on patience waiting for those big moments to come. I liked the spooky atmosphere in the disembodied burning head scenes, but that's all I liked.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Other than the setting, Cairo, nothing in this episode took place in the book. I thought there were some good performances but I really don't know what's going anymore. Hopefully the next few episodes attempt to tie things together a bit more.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Other than the setting, Cairo, nothing in this episode took place in the book. I thought there were some good performances but I really don't know what's going anymore. Hopefully the next few episodes attempt to tie things together a bit more.
Aren't we like way beyond the book at this point? I read it a while ago, but at least it feels like they stopped following it a long while back.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
I like the idea of the show more than the show itself, I feel like it is made of 2 halfs of better show but isn't commited to be a great one, it would be cool they were all in on the war OR they were all in on the examination of all these gods and what they mean for their believers, as it is right now each aspect of the show drags down the other and makes for episodes where no one know what's happening anymore.

I still love Nancy and Laura Moon tho, and I giggle like crazy whenever Sweeney is down on his luck

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017
Storywise this show is almost at a standstill and yet...I'm still enjoying it? I think it might be one of the most stylish tv shows I've ever seen, the production levels are through the roof.
For those who are confused, amazingly I think we're still seeing the recruitment drive that we saw in season 1. Nansi is doing his best to get Bilquis and Ibis on his side but they're reluctant to get involved. Then we recently saw both Wednesday and Mr World try and get Money on their side (at the same time!) but neither of them succeeded.
Wednesday had Argus killed, perhaps in retaliation for Zorya or maybe it was always his intention, who knows.
I am slightly confused about Technology being made obsolete, but perhaps we'll see a 'New Technology' show up in the same way we saw New Media? Technology does become redundant and is replaced by new tech so this would make sense to me, but we'll have to wait and see what happens.

I thought the scenes in New Orleans with Baron Samedi were pretty cool. Did Laura and Sweeney actually fuck or was that just in their heads?

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I like the idea of the show more than the show itself, I feel like it is made of 2 halfs of better show but isn't commited to be a great one, it would be cool they were all in on the war OR they were all in on the examination of all these gods and what they mean for their believers, as it is right now each aspect of the show drags down the other and makes for episodes where no one know what's happening anymore.

I still love Nancy and Laura Moon tho, and I giggle like crazy whenever Sweeney is down on his luck
It's the same with the book. At least I'm happy that the show addresses Jesus (and other monotheistic religions).

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the last episode was just fine. I guess i can see people having issues with some of the story decisions in this show but at the same time i watch this show because the characters are incredibly likeable and the visuals are fantastic, and i felt like the last episode still did all that really well. I also really like the Louisiana Voodoo aesthetic for some unexplained reason. I should visit there some day.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I thought the last episode was just fine. I guess i can see people having issues with some of the story decisions in this show but at the same time i watch this show because the characters are incredibly likeable and the visuals are fantastic, and i felt like the last episode still did all that really well. I also really like the Louisiana Voodoo aesthetic for some unexplained reason. I should visit there some day.

Oh yes. Despite my confusion I look forward to each episode and am enjoying the ride. I'm just not sure where it's going.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
This show is totally losing me. Feels like the plot is totally aimless and going nowhere and I'm not really into the characters, Odin aside. I honestly have no idea what Shadow Moon's purpose is or what kinda guy is he even supposed to be.

Yep. As someone who adores the book, this show is faltering on a lot of the character beats. Not to mention that we're only about 1/5 of the way through the book right now. They spend way too much time on the shitty tech kid and the horrible revamp of Media. The book excels at only showing you Laura and Shadow's perspective while the petty details of the "war" go on behind the scenes. We're severely lacking the slice of life Americana that Gaiman wrote so masterfully. Where they really are nailing it is with the stories of the Gods along with local histories.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
The last episode was the best of the season, IMO. Most of this season has been slowly meandering through the main plot, but this was more of a self-contained episode like what Doom Patrol has been doing. If you aren't going to bother much with plot then each episode needs to feel special and tell a story. Also it was directed by one of my favorite TV directors Rachel Talalay.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
I liked this episode, so

Was Columbia the "We can do it" girl right? When Technical Boy offered her more power I initially thought she would do the transition to be Media as in the Columbia girl from the movies lol

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't into this latest one either. They got carried away with the cabaret scenes. Too much singing and dancing.... Just way too much of that. I only enjoyed the jacket heist scene.

I was surprised to find out it's only an 8 episode season again. I'm dropping it though, and I'm just going to check the reactions here to justify bothering with the final two eps. It has felt like a chore to watch for weeks now. It blows my mind the season is almost already over. Things have two pick up over the next two episodes right?

Matt_

Oct 25, 2017
feels like another episode of nothing?
don't really know whats happening or what the goals of any of the characters are tbh
I liked this episode, so

Was Columbia the "We can do it" girl right? When Technical Boy offered her more power I initially thought she would do the transition to be Media as in the Columbia girl from the movies lol

Absolutely thought it was trending to this too
could have been a nice back story, maybe they will still do

Zousi

Oct 31, 2017
Best episode of the season and McShane in particular was brilliant in conveying some hidden sadness to his character. Here's hoping they can finish this season on a high note. I'm skeptical, but maybe they have some rabbit on their sleeve that will energize this main plot.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the Nazis will twist and butcher Thor's image. Didn't see the suicide angle.

Thor would have been OP now with MCU movies

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It really felt like pretty much nothing happened in this episode.
We got some nice backstory, I guess, that could maybe be referenced in the future. Maybe.

I think this was the first American Gods episode that I would've been happy to skip. Usually I find the show captivating even during the slower moments.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the Nazis will twist and butcher Thor's image. Didn't see the suicide angle.

Thor would have been OP now with MCU movies

That was one of the problems the series should address. The book was written in 2001, before the MCU, when Thor and Odin were not know names outside a few comics readers. Now it is much a different thing. Another version of Thor should have emerged, as there are different versions of the same gods (we are following the American versions).

Oct 26, 2017
It really felt like pretty much nothing happened in this episode.
We got some nice backstory, I guess, that could maybe be referenced in the future. Maybe.

I think this was the first American Gods episode that I would've been happy to skip. Usually I find the show captivating even during the slower moments.

Lol, I wonder why they even parted ways with the creator, one of the things I was expecting was a more swift, mainstream-friendly pace if the network took control.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That was one of the problems the series should address. The book was written in 2001, before the MCU, when Thor and Odin were not know names outside a few comics readers. Now it is much a different thing. Another version of Thor should have emerged, as there are different versions of the same gods (we are following the American versions).

The show/book doesn't seem to address celebrity worship either. I wonder how that fits into this world.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last episode was very good. I wasnt sold on it until the last 50% where they finally started to show where it was going. Tying it into the WW2 history was a nice touch.

GrubChub

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not super happy about what happened this week... but
I thought it might happen. Not that it would have been impossible, but Pablo being announced for Master Chief made me think he wouldn't be on AG much longer. Didn't think it would be this quickly, though.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The show/book doesn't seem to address celebrity worship either. I wonder how that fits into this world.
That's the problem with the concept, you have to keep it super tight and focused, because you won't ever be able to address the full breadth of "gods" that should/would exist. I think the TV show is doing a better job than the book, but as it's losing focus the omissions become more apparent.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
That's the problem with the concept, you have to keep it super tight and focused, because you won't ever be able to address the full breadth of "gods" that should/would exist. I think the TV show is doing a better job than the book, but as it's losing focus the omissions become more apparent.

Thing is: book is almost 15 years old, many things relevant today weren't by that time, sĂł omissions in the show are more jarring. Also it does not help that the book is much more tight, it is short story. As the show tries to expand into multiple seasons, the story loses its punch. After 5 seasons the twist will not be relevant anymore...

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Not super happy about what happened this week... but
I thought it might happen. Not that it would have been impossible, but Pablo being announced for Master Chief made me think he wouldn't be on AG much longer. Didn't think it would be this quickly, though.

I was disappointed they made the announcement a few days before the episode aired. They should have waited till Monday or Tuesday.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Thing is: book is almost 15 years old, many things relevant today weren't by that time, sĂł omissions in the show are more jarring. Also it does not help that the book is much more tight, it is short story. As the show tries to expand into multiple seasons, the story loses its punch. After 5 seasons the twist will not be relevant anymore...
Well I'm still mad at how the book basically just tiptoed around the current (actual) religions. At least the show had the balls to kind of address that.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Can this even be called wheel spinning anymore. This show is literally going nowhere week after week.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I just fired up my 7 day trial to check out ep 1. It was good.

One thing bothering me, and this is from the books too: why is Laura Moon so damned strong and seemingly unbeatable? She's just a dead human woman with a lucky coin? Is there some myth or story that inspired Gaiman about this?

Edit: I forget to mention, the twists here are obviously made to keep actors/characters around for the long run until they need to end it. I get it's a TV adaptation but

Not having Wednesday and Bilquist die
really pumps the brakes on the story. Starting to understand why so many people are saying the show lost steam and is spinning its wheels even before I dive into the next episode. I can see it coming already.

Last edited:

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
this episode was pretty great, it didnt move but mad sweeeney's backstory and his journey in this episode was proper amazing

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw today episode. The show started to not make sense of its own lore. As the book, the show is about American Gods. Gods that "came" to America with the immigrants. Mad Sweeney is not really Irish but born of the believes of the Irish immigrants. So it does not make sense that we see his story in old Ireland, as well Wednesday on it. They would be different versions of the same god
as Shadow encountered a different European Odin at the end of the book.

Scottish Sin

Chicken Chaser
Nov 12, 2017
Scotland
That was a pretty bad finale to a really lacklustre season. Night and day compared to season one. I know they've had issues and swapped out show runners but it went a long way in putting me off of it entirely. It's been renewed for another season but I think I'm out.

What a shame.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell happened is my big question on that episode. I mean, i could decipher most of it but couldn't make out what exactly went down with the tree and him rewriting history or whatever happened.

Also genuinely shocked it is renewed for season 3. Happy since i like it but it really doesnt give a fuck about mainstream audiences.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot to watch the finale last week lol.

Awful ending to an awful season.