• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

American Horror Story: Cult airs Tuesdays at 10/9c on FX.

American Horror Story is an anthology horror drama series created and produced by Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk. The Emmy and Golden Globe winning franchise is produced by Twentieth Century Fox Television.

Ally and Ivy Mayfair-Richards are a married couple with a son named Oz who live in the fictitious city of Brookfield Heights, Michigan. Ally suffers from several phobias including coulrophobia, haemophobia, and trypophobia which intensify after Donald Trump wins the 2016 election. She often speaks with her psychiatrist, Dr. Rudy Vincent Anderson, whose estranged and manipulative brother Kai Anderson forms a cult of individuals fed up with the political climate of the United States. Kai utilizes the fear inflicted upon the community by the cult's violent actions, notably those toward Ally and her family, to strengthen his campaign for a seat on city council.

Trailer

Cast

Sarah Paulson
Evan Peters
Cheyenne Jackson
Billie Lourd
Chaz Bono
Alison Pill
Adina Porter
Billy Eichner
Colton Haynes
Leslie Grossman
Frances Conroy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and proclaim this season as the strongest since Murder House.

Still some shaky episodes and eye rolling moments but for the most part Ryan Murphy hasn't lost the plot which is a welcome change. Knock on wood that the last couple episodes don't get unnecessarily convoluted. Evan Peters is turning in a phenomenal performance this season.

That nail gun scene a few episodes back though. I don't think the show has ever made me feel so uncomfortable. The gimp getting his flesh ripped out of the hooks was brutal too.

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked it til I didnt like it when it went all wonky with
the wife being in the cult

that said, um... its better than the witch and clown season.

Loved the
attic scene where they killed the gimp and the tv producer guy

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Oh finally, I was wondering where this thread went.

I wanted to talk about how utterly ludicrous this season has become, what with that frankly ridiculous insemination scene, and the big 'twist' at the end regarding who the new cult member is. I don't think they have the foggiest idea what they're doing story wise anymore, they have characters acting and reacting in truly bizarre ways.

But anyway, I shall continue hate watching.

Colton Haynes character may possibly be the blandest character I've ever witnessed on a TV show.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I was really, really digging this season the first few episodes, but since then it's gotten too ridiculous.

Of course Ryan Murphy does the Ryan Murphy thing of overdoing the sexual (insemination stuff) and gore stuff to the point where it's not believable and sometimes too much to watch. Plus they killed off my favorite character (Billy Eichner).

But I'll continue watching because I like Evan Peters and Sarah Paulson. Thank god this season doesn't have Kathy Bates in it.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I was really, really digging this season the first few episodes, but since then it's gotten too ridiculous.

Of course Ryan Murphy does the Ryan Murphy thing of overdoing the sexual (insemination stuff) and gore stuff to the point where it's not believable and sometimes too much to watch. Plus they killed off my favorite character (Billy Eichner).

But I'll continue watching because I like Evan Peters and Sarah Paulson. Thank god this season doesn't have Kathy Bates in it.
Do you not like Kathy Bates or you're just glad she's not involved?

Cogniferous

Oct 27, 2017
England
I have a love / hate relationship with AHS. I loved Asylum, Coven and Hotel but hated Murder House, Freak Show and Roanoke. Hotel was the best for me. Cult is actually a strange one because I sort of like it but it's not top 3. Maybe I'm just relieved that it's better than Roanoke.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a love / hate relationship with AHS. I loved Asylum, Coven and Hotel but hated Murder House, Freak Show and Roanoke. Hotel was the best for me. Cult is actually a strange one because I sort of like it but it's not top 3. Maybe I'm just relieved that it's better than Roanoke.

Just curious what it was about Murder House you didn't particularly care for. It tends to generally be ranked as AHS's high point so just interested in hearing your thoughts.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
No shit there wasn't any poison in it.

This show assumes its audience is a bunch of dolts way too often.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I figured something was up when Ally didn't have any of the wine or the pasta while Ivy did.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
OH at that OT.

I like this season, but it's also really fucking weird.

I never thought I'd miss Leslie Grossman but here I am.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ivy's death scene saved it, but yeah this shit's getting ridiculous, and not in the usual ridiculous way I enjoy Murphy shows. I've never quite understood hate-watching but I'm pretty sure that's what I'm doing now. lol

Oct 27, 2017
Why did Ivy keep shoveling pasta into her mouth and guzzling wine when it was painfully clear that Ally was giving off "I'm gonna murder you vibes" from the second they she walked into the kitchen.

That was a masterclass in naivete and stupidity.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
The previous few episodes were starting to lose me, but last night won me over. That was a great episode of AHS. Absolutely hilarious.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The previous few episodes were starting to lose me, but last night won me over. That was a great episode of AHS. Absolutely hilarious.

It was better than most of the other episodes just for the sheer fact that Sarah Paulson was finally given some interesting material (watching her poison Ivy (see what Ryan Murphy did there) was the best thing that's happened so far), but this season is still a complete mess. None of the characters besides Aly and Beverly have parsable motives, which make it impossible to care about anything. Take the psychiatrist guy - it's like "okay, he has these smiley pins and he knows about Aly's phobias, so he's probably working with the bad guys right? But now he's trying to help Aly so maybe he's really good? Or wait maybe this is all part of his plan and he's just trying to trick her further? Aaand now he's dead. I guess he was innocent all along. Oh." With Winter it's the same thing - she's a feminist who hates Trump...yet she's working for her super Trump supporter brother? And then she's like working with the women against Kai but is she really but then she's sort of like "don't inseminate me bro" so I guess she's not fully into it just kinda into it but still willing to kill for him? What? And don't even get me started on Ivy.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
I completely agree with basically everything you've said ratsky, but trying to make sense of a Ryan Murphy show is a fool's errand. As long as there is complete fuckery like Evan Peters playing Koresh/Jones Murphy has my time.
I hope ACS: Versace is just as crazy.

BitByDeath

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying it, I mean it is a bit all over the place at times but it isn't boring/slow.

Hotel and Coven were more meh IMO.

Last edited:

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've enjoyed this season but I also really enjoyed Roanoke although the first half was much more enjoyable than the second.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I completely agree with basically everything you've said ratsky, but trying to make sense of a Ryan Murphy show is a fool's errand. As long as there is complete fuckery like Evan Peters playing Koresh/Jones Murphy has my time.
I hope ACS: Versace is just as crazy.
Yeah, Ryan Murphy is pure id. That's why the sex stuff is always so gross and weird and gore is so over the top. There's not much thought behind it.

Smylie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
Last two episodes have been a significant rebound. We have two episodes left, right? That should be enough time to redeem the season.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
This was really boring and also very bad. I wonder what's Ally's endgame, though. Lana Banana always wins.

DoubleG

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I liked this season (especially Ally's development), but I think the whole cult theme was not done well. The motivations to join the cult was too different between the characters. And they killed off all the interesting different characters too early.
A religious cult in the 90s would have been a better fit I think.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Found you guys!

I'm okay with the direction it's going
Because Ivy needed to go and Abby's revenge is warranted big time

Weird that in a series of ghosts, murderers, ghost murderers, and the actual devil, Ivy manages to be one of the worst with absolutely no redeeming qualities to balance out her awfulness.

ronaldthump

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man this season keeps getting worse and worse and the horror element really just is t there anymore. It's becoming this annoying pretentious soap.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing that Angela Bassett directed this week's episode just made me sad she's not in it.

I'm glad that we're FINALLY seeing Ally getting some revenge, it's what we've all been waiting for but holy has this been a terrible season.

It's a shame because I love the idea of messed up cults, but this cult is not interesting whatsoever. The cult in The Following was better than this.

Oct 28, 2017
Never watched Nip/Tuck I take it?

Now that's an annoying pretentious soap from Murphy.
I really liked that show for the first few seasons. Then it took a nose dive. Especially the Hollywood plot. That's where I had enough.

This is the first season I'm watching of AHS. Not really enjoying it but only a couple episodes left, might as well finish it.

ronaldthump

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never watched Nip/Tuck I take it?

Now that's an annoying pretentious soap from Murphy.

Nip/Tuck had an amazing first 1+2 season. I can't remember the rest but I'm sure it flopped but I enjoyed it at the time.

Seeing that Angela Bassett directed this week's episode just made me sad she's not in it.

I'm glad that we're FINALLY seeing Ally getting some revenge, it's what we've all been waiting for but holy has this been a terrible season.

It's a shame because I love the idea of messed up cults, but this cult is not interesting whatsoever. The cult in The Following was better than this.

Yeah episode 1+2 was interesting but its like they have nowhere else to take the show. Its always shot in the same house and or basement and or kitchen. Where's the outdoor shots and shots of the cult doing things?

This is a fucking horrible season of AHS.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting this season to end with Ally burning down a house with all of the cultists locked inside and then getting hit by an ambulance.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched last week episode.

I don't even care if they all die (except Oz). They're all shitty people.