• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
I think I compounding problem to all of this is societal expectations. Boomers have drilled into Millennials' collective heads that there are certain life benchmarks and accomplishments that must be attained or you are a failure: a college degree, a good-paying and stable job, marriage, home ownership, 2.5 children, etc (usually each by certain age milestones).

Then we struggle to achieve these expectations, we are looked down upon and derided by Boomers, included our parents and other older authority figures that we look up to and respect. As much as some Millennials may act like it doesn't matter, having a looming feeling that you are failing at life can really degrade your mental well-being.

Of course, the aspect that Boomers fail to acknowledge is that they have actively and passively made it more difficult for Millennials to hit these benchmarks. It's like Boomers have tied weights around the waist of a generation and then they complain and deride Millennials for not running the race as fast as them.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Millennials are ruining dying slowly, new report finds
Experts say concepts of retirement, improving quality of life also being ruined by youngsters

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
Not surprised. I dont take the greatest care of myself and I work myself into burn out after burn out. Even when I was a kid I had a weird feeling that I wouldnt live to see 30 and that was before all the trama. I turn 30 in 6 months so we'll see.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty bleak out there. Wife and I are very fortunate to have government jobs with pensions. Have a lot in student loans (lol law school) but they're all government loans so Income based repayment makes them manageable. Otherwise are both Union with good health insurance and job security/raises. We're basically living the boomer dream in millennial bodies (31/33 y/o) but I know it's not applicable for most people and honestly I don't have faith our pensions will even be there in 40 years but it helps lower the day to day stress.

Im fully prepared to work until I die which thankfully my profession allows well into old age.

Oct 27, 2017
What millennials really should be killing are boomers.
Easy there Emet.

Maybe we should actually vote fore people to represent the things we'd like to see. Instead most just complain and don't do shit. It's easier to do that than the actual work. We see the fucking species coming to an end yet we keep walking towards the extinction without missing a beat. Plus motherfuckers need to get over being racist and worried about what the other person has or might get, but nah fuck that noise. I'll gladly kill myself if that black person don't get healthcare or better wages. Then you've got the moronic temporarily embarrassed millionaires.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can I die at age 50? I dont see any enjoyment or betterment living passed that unless i win the lottery or something.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
I get it.

Looming Climate Crisis

Losing faith in most institutions and goodwill

Growing economic disparity

Being mocked for bringing these realities up and saying we should do something about them

It's time like these makes me wonder if societies or even democracy are worth preserving

Maybe its radical, but I believe the house is fundamentally too broken to not have it burned down to the ground

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Of course the study is done by a for-profit health insurance company which in of itself is hugely responsible for that rapid decline...

facepalm.gif

It's like an arsonist doing a study on why victims of targeted arson are likely to be imperiled.

Love that the advice is to take better care of your health, especially mental/behavioral health, and then admitting that the barrier to doing so is the obscene cost of healthcare that they are largely responsible for causing.
How would you apportion the improper cost of healthcare between for profit health insurers, for profit hospitals, for profit medical schools, drug manufacturers, malpractice insurance and lawsuits, etc?

Oct 27, 2017
How would you apportion the improper cost of healthcare between for profit health insurers, for profit hospitals, for profit medical schools, drug manufacturers, malpractice insurance and lawsuits, etc?
What do you mean? We live in a world with proved out ways of financing healthcare and controlling its costs: look to examples of countries where universal healthcare (whether it be single payer or multi-payer) is a thing.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
I'm from the UK but one thing I've realised is that this message is slowly getting through. So some older people's benefits are disappearing while today's teenagers may get a little extra help. Small steps at the moment but this may accelerate over time.

Which means there'll be no benefits for those millennials that make old age but the generation(s) after will get the benefits. Although their planet is likely to be in an even worse state so swings and roundabouts.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni

So the generation before Millenials are boomers right?

Does that mean....Millenials are...Doomers?

tenor.gif

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
I think I compounding problem to all of this is societal expectations. Boomers have drilled into Millennials' collective heads that there are certain life benchmarks and accomplishments that must be attained or you are a failure: a college degree, a good-paying and stable job, marriage, home ownership, 2.5 children, etc (usually each by certain age milestones).

Then we struggle to achieve these expectations, we are looked down upon and derided by Boomers, included our parents and other older authority figures that we look up to and respect. As much as some Millennials may act like it doesn't matter, having a looming feeling that you are failing at life can really degrade your mental well-being.

Of course, the aspect that Boomers fail to acknowledge is that they have actively and passively made it more difficult for Millennials to hit these benchmarks. It's like Boomers have tied weights around the waist of a generation and then they complain and deride Millennials for not running the race as fast as them.

The amount of boomers who have told me that they paid $20-$30K for their homes while earning incomes of this amount annually is soul crushing.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Tell me about it. The house I grew up in was $90000 when they got it. I can't even buy a plot of land to put a tent on for that price.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not alone? Heh. Sad, but, in light of this news, I've never felt more connected to people.

Wait, is this Death Stranding?

Dec 21, 2017
Thank god! The things i'd do for a terminal disease to end me before the year is over are unlimited, but if i have to suffer this fucking existence longer, at least it won't be by that much.

Ryu_Ken

Oct 30, 2017
Terrible jobs with no/bad insurance. No money due to student loans, unable to afford treatment. No time to go to appointments due to terrible jobs. Being handed a worse situation than your parents, and then blamed for it and constantly have any help ridiculed or taken away

It takes its toll.
I'm not sure things are any worse now than they were in the 60, 70's, 80's and 90's.
Mental health is more prevalent now because finally people are opening up and talking about it.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Considering my last job was *fulltime* in terms of my workhours yet I got no paid sick leave, no paid vacation time, when injured (thankfully not bad) at work they told me not to officially put the report in and said they would deal with it internally with them paying me for only 2 hours out of three days I missed, and at the end of the year the companies way of thanking us was inviting us to McDonalds at 6.45am before work. THEN YEAH its pretty hard and you tend to lose hope in work, there were other things but rather not full vent haha.

AZ Greg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who would have thought that the generation that grew up with technology that promoted isolation, loneliness, and was just generally anti-social along with promoting a sedentary lifestyle would have health issues. I for one am shocked!

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Who would have thought that the generation that grew up with technology that promoted isolation, loneliness, and was just generally anti-social along with promoting a sedentary lifestyle would have health issues. I for one am shocked!

Or, just maybe - said technology and sedentary lifestyle is a means of escapism from the absolute crushing weight of economic entropy set in motion by previous generations.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
In this boat but not seemingly through any fault of my own. I have some kind of nerve damage now that's really fucking with me.

AZ Greg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or, just maybe - said technology and sedentary lifestyle is a means of escapism from the absolute crushing weight of economic entropy set in motion by previous generations.

I mean sure, if you're looking to place blame anywhere else but yourself. There are plenty of people who moderately enjoy the escapism of which that type of technology provides while still being economically successful and socially well adjusted.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania privatized Medicaid, which Medicaid was paying for my Medicare. Now I don't fucking know what that means for my Medicare, and now I'm stressed at the idea I will suddenly have money taken from my already and arguably limited amount of income I'm supposed to rely on, especially given there's been plenty of horror stories about Medicare and SSD/SSI and shit about fucking over people with disabilities.

Fuck all this shit. "Have the power of choice with your insurance" and "be in control of what you get", my FUCKING ass. Went to go through the process and they had extremely limited in who I can see or go depending on the insurance and if "they were under their system". Like, what kind of fucking choice is that if it limits you fucking further? It was already limited somewhat by the PA Access as it was, but it feels even more so now.

This whole thing is a scam and absolutely fucking deceitful.

So yeah. I'm literally tired of even trying to explain anymore why this shit matters when people who make the decisions just don't ultimately give a fuck about you. I'm absolutely not shocked about that report by any means.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Let me tell you all a story about my parents and how well their generation had it.

My Dad often tells the story about how he graduated from the University of Minnesota with 0 debt, a new truck, and a fishing boat. He did this while working part time at a warehouse during the night. That job paid him well above minimum wage (which of course had a LOT more buying power) as well as health insurance benefits. After college my parents both got jobs in their respective career fields basically immediately. They became middle class overnight, just how you are supposed to do it. These jobs provided all the benefits in the world including maternity leave. So, my parents had my sister and I, and then bought a 3,000sqft house on 5 acres of land in the suburbs. They were in their late 20's or maybe early 30's idk. The house was like 100k or something total. They invested their money in the usual 401k, Roth, and some other investments. By the time they were in their mid 50's, the house had appreciated to over a million dollars, and their investment portfolio had also grown massively. They had each spent 30+ years working at the SAME JOBS they started at. Having perfect job stability and building seniority over this time, both had huge salaries by the end. Both also had pensions. My dad accrued so much sick time he was able to retire, roll that money into a savings plan, and pay for healthcare for the family for a projected 10 years until they qualify for medicare. So my parents are 1. in their very early 60's 2. retired 3. unbelievably wealthy due to savings, pensions, house appreciation (they sold the house and downsized), and investments which has got to be massive (after all, the stock market has gone up exponentially during their lifetime) and 4. Soon to get social security added to this.

Basically, society worked the way it was supposed to for them. The perfect american story.

Imagine any of us, literally any of us, having this type of story. Graduating from college with no debt and a new car? Middle class jobs immediately out of college? Health insurance and maternity benefits allowing us to have a family in our 20's? Buying a massive house in the suburbs for a nominal price? Pension? Stock market stability? Retiring early? Social security???

Luckily this good fortune is not lost on them and my whole family are ardent Democrats and Bernie Sanders supporters. This is why the modern conservative party makes zero sense. They want to go back to the good old days... where people had the same opportunities and benefits that the progressives are proposing today. Fucking hello?? This whole thing makes zero sense.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean sure, if you're looking to place blame anywhere else but yourself. There are plenty of people who moderately enjoy the escapism of which that type of technology provides while still being economically successful and socially well adjusted.

Obviously there are anecdotes, but putting your head in the sand just because a few people are "successful" when an entire generation is facing wealth inequality on a massive scale is really naive and screams of "Got Mine" syndrome. I know there are people on this forum that constantly cape for billionaires and whatnot, but the "blame" doesn't go to people who actively work their hardest just to survive and can still barely do that. Imagine working full-time with multiple college degrees and still having to choose whether or not you can afford basic groceries that paycheck, all while the rich are deciding between their 11th or 12th yacht.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I have already accepted I will work until I die unless society somehow drastically changes. Retirement will not exist for me.