• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Gareth Wheeler is not the most reliable source, but his tweet does suggest to me that Seba was not exactly arguing in good faith for his contract extension. I loved Seba and still do, but there is no way he was gonna get paid the most dollars in the league again at this stage in his career, and that seems to be what he wanted.

He's a proud guy and I respect that a lot. I think he still considers himself to be the MVP, and if he didn't want to take a paycut relative to his peers, this transfer was probably the best course of action for both sides. It's sad to see the relationship got a bit ugly, but I don't think the fans will ever hold it against him. Seba's arrival in Toronto is by far the reason TFC's renaissance occurred, and were a fluke missed shot and lost shoot-out away from winning CCL.

OP
OP
Cystm

Cystm

Think this is pretty much a catastrophe for DC. w/new stadium, TV deal, Rooney outlay -- one of the highest-leverage seasons possible -- how do you sell your best player here?

They sold him for about the amount they play every other player combined on the team. Lot of potential for sustainable growth in that move. Also, my man is going to PSG. That's just all good. PROVIDED that they can actually bring someone else in.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, I get it, and good for him, but even if they invest all that money they can't expect the same level of performance. Best route to sustainable growth I think involves building off the momentum of the tail end of last year, which required keeping Acosta.

The Rooney outlay to get eyeballs and attention on the team makes sense only if you can capitalize on it with putting an exciting, successful product on the pitch. And Acosta was such a high percentage of the success they did have last year (great chemistry with Rooney, too).

Last edited:

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017

It was an absolute pleasure watching Miggy over the past two years

Wish him nothing but the best, he'll be missed

Darren Eales et al. did a fantastic job handling this and the Pity Martinez signing. Should be looked upon positively by other players in South America who are thinking about MLS and how it can springboard them to EPL and other leagues

OP
OP
Cystm

Cystm

Because it's the 20-year anniversary of the Matrix?

Edit:
giphy.gif

Holy shit. I am old.

ZZMitch

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like either Tuchel vetoed the deal or DCU rejected an 11.5M offer... the second one seems to crazy to believe so I feel like its the first.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I had heard that it was more like $3m, if it's $11.5m then this is good for him. He wasn't going to get that in MLS given his age.
$3M was the transfer fee I believe, but yeah I heard that $11.5M is his negotiated salary.

edit: here' s the source on that salary number
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/gio...-of-11-5-million-dollars/view/news/328840?rss

Any speculation who it could be?
This is the only thing I've seen but who knows...

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Hanni would be interesting on that team. Jozy's got another good year or two in him, so they should compete.

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
DCU screwed up IMO, you get an offer of 9 million for someone on their last year of a contract and they want to go, you have to sell. You can't piss off your one of your two best players when he can walk away for free in 12 months, either he simply waits it out or makes himself a distraction for the team which is an even bigger problem.

ZZMitch

Oct 26, 2017
DCU screwed up IMO, you get an offer of 9 million for someone on their last year of a contract and they want to go, you have to sell. You can't piss off your one of your two best players when he can walk away for free in 12 months, either he simply waits it out or makes himself a distraction for the team which is an even bigger problem.

Apparently some other sources say the offer was as low as $7M... Story still seems fuzzy lol

Oct 31, 2017

They all need to keep going abroad against better competition, not only on the field, but every day in practice as well. Germany, England, Spain, and other tier 1 leagues, maybe Brazil and Argentina and other tier 2 leagues.

MLS is cool and all but it's a tier 3 league. It's like the YMCA league or the intramurals that you played back in college. Maybe in another 20, 30 years it'll be a tier 1 league and kids can sign up to play there right away, but right now it's only good to raise the CONCACAF level and get some good competition to raise the overall level of soccer in the country. Remember that up and coming kid Jordan Morris or whatever his name was who signed up with Seattle? Yeah, me either.

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
MLS is cool and all but it's a tier 3 league. It's like the YMCA league or the intramurals that you played back in college. Maybe in another 20, 30 years it'll be a tier 1 league and kids can sign up to play there right away, but right now it's only good to raise the CONCACAF level and get some good competition to raise the overall level of soccer in the country. Remember that up and coming kid Jordan Morris or whatever his name was who signed up with Seattle? Yeah, me either.

I get what you are saying, but Jordan Morris helped Seattle win their first MLS Cup in 2016. He was less productive in 2017, but his team still reached the finals. He missed all of last season with a torn ACL.

Tyler Adams has proven that great young players can be developed through the MLS. It's case by case with a lot of these young players going abroad. I keep forgetting about Bobby Wood, for instance.

Last edited:

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
They all need to keep going abroad against better competition, not only on the field, but every day in practice as well. Germany, England, Spain, and other tier 1 leagues, maybe Brazil and Argentina and other tier 2 leagues.

Tell that to Tyler Adams. He went just from MLS straight into a starting spot on a top 4 Bundesliga team. Dude's 19.

Joe_Bush

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I was just looking up who Stan Kroenke has on payroll in MLS before the Super Bowl tonight and uh... Does anyone else find the Rapids incredibly interesting going into this season? They picked up Kei Kamara, Benny Feilhaber, and Diego Rubio in this offseason, all of whom were at one point very good for Kansas City, and all of whom kind of seem to be past their primes but still could probably do something good this year?

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
I was just looking up who Stan Kroenke has on payroll in MLS before the Super Bowl tonight and uh... Does anyone else find the Rapids incredibly interesting going into this season? They picked up Kei Kamara, Benny Feilhaber, and Diego Rubio in this offseason, all of whom were at one point very good for Kansas City, and all of whom kind of seem to be past their primes but still could probably do something good this year?

rapids definitely gonna push for a playoff spot

entire western conference looks solid