• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
OK, so this isn't as embarrassing now that they've scored.

Never mind, 3-1. It's back to embarrassing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cystm

Cystm

So many mistakes. Reminds me of that first away match against Houston at the beginning of 2018. Pirez made a bunch of mistakes in that match that cost them greatly. Then by the end of the season was one of the best defenders in the league.

B-Dubs

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
So many mistakes. Reminds me of that first away match against Houston at the beginning of 2018. Pirez made a bunch of mistakes in that match that cost them greatly. Then by the end of the season was one of the best defenders in the league.
Every fan base in the league needs to experience a loss to W Connection at least once, just so they know it can always be worse.

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Yep, that match with Houston was a 4-0 loss. LGP is a great defender, but he has moments where he tries crazy things and it doesn't pay off. Knocking the rust off in Costa Rica probably not ideal for him. 2-0 deficit isn't great but not impossible.

I guess Herediano beat Club America a few years ago at home 3-0 and lost 6-0 when they played at America. So part of this could be that they're really good at home.

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
This may be a hot take but I won't ever root for MLS teams in CCL, I'm a fan of the Union, why would I want a team that's not the Union winning a major trophy?

I understand the whole greater good ideal but it makes no sense to me as a fan of a team not involved.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Bold statement, Cotton. They looked really good yesterday.
Yeah, new center back seemed to fit in just fine, plus we picked up some veterans in Kelyn Rowe and Rodney Wallace over the offseason for some good depth. I'm excited for this season. As long as players stay healthy, I think it's realistic they'll make the western conference finals again.
This may be a hot take but I won't ever root for MLS teams in CCL, I'm a fan of the Union, why would I want a team that's not the Union winning a major trophy?

I understand the whole greater good ideal but it makes no sense to me as a fan of a team not involved.
I don't think it's too much of a hot take. I want SKC to be the first MLS team to win CCL, so yeah, I'm the same. I won't be mad if another MLS team wins ahead of SKC, but I'm not like actively rooting for other MLS teams (especially Houston).

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Yeah, new center back seemed to fit in just fine, plus we picked up some veterans in Kelyn Rowe and Rodney Wallace over the offseason for some good depth. I'm excited for this season. As long as players stay healthy, I think it's realistic they'll make the western conference finals again.

I don't think it's too much of a hot take. I want SKC to be the first MLS team to win CCL, so yeah, I'm the same. I won't be mad if another MLS team wins ahead of SKC, but I'm not like actively rooting for other MLS teams (especially Houston).
Vermes is highly respected and getting everything he can out of what he's working with, for sure. I think making Western conference finals is definitely a great possibility for them.

Yeah I agree with you about rooting for other teams. I want Atlanta to be the first MLS team in the current format. I also want MLS to improve as a whole and become more respected, so I'd like to see all the MLS teams make good runs while Atlanta wins it all.

B-Dubs

On Break
Oct 25, 2017

This is me and RBNY.

ZZMitch

Oct 26, 2017
I normally cheer hard for any MLS team in CCL, but I will admit I was having a bit of fun watching Atlanta get smacked around last night! Something about that team/fanbase makes watching them lose enjoyable to me, despite my desire to see the league do well in this tourney.

No other MLS team loosing in CCL has gotten that reaction out of me so I guess Atlanta is doing something right 😆

B-Dubs

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I normally cheer hard for any MLS team in CCL, but I will admit I was having a bit of fun watching Atlanta get smacked around last night! Something about that team/fanbase makes watching them lose enjoyable to me, despite my desire to see the league do well in this tourney.

No other MLS team loosing in CCL has gotten that reaction out of me so I guess Atlanta is doing something right 😆
I gotta admit I had fun with it too. A lot of the fans on twitter were expecting these huge results, so the meltdowns were choice. Like I said before, everyone in the league needs to lose to W Connection at least once in CCL. Just so they know that it can always be worse.

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017

Your not alone based on these results:

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

Like you said, obviously Atlanta is doing something right if you hate us that much. Haha

I don't know if I enjoyed watching Toronto lose 4-0 because it was just so hard to watch.

ZZMitch

Oct 26, 2017
Like you said, obviously Atlanta is doing something right if you hate us that much. Haha

I don't know if I enjoyed watching Toronto lose 4-0 because it was just so hard to watch.

Yeah, Atlanta is filling that Yankees/Warriors big bad team in my MLS fandom. No other team has really gotten close to that for me in the past, except maybe the Galaxy back when they were good. That is both the result of their success/spending and the smugness of the fanbase haha. Adds another layer to MLS watching for me that was not really there before which is fun! It finally feels like the league is getting to a place where I can actively root against teams and move away from the "were all in this together or the league will fold" line of thinking.

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Yeah, Atlanta is filling that Yankees/Warriors big bad team in my MLS fandom. No other team has really gotten close to that for me in the past, except maybe the Galaxy back when they were good. That is both the result of their success/spending and the smugness of the fanbase haha. Adds another layer to MLS watching for me that was not really there before which is fun! It finally feels like the league is getting to a place where I can actively root against teams and move away from the "were all in this together or the league will fold" line of thinking.
Yeah I'm fully aware that Atlanta are the Yankees of MLS and I hate the Yankees so I get it. I can't claim to represent the fanbase but hopefully I'm not too smug. I just want Atlanta to be good and the league as a whole to continue to push forward and be more respected around the world.

B-Dubs

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized that this next year is the last year under the current CBA. Wonder what the players and the owners want. Things are much different now than just 5 years ago.

Good vid. Buddy said something right, there's no pick up culture in soccer in this country. That's why we sucked so much in international competitions.
I imagine a higher salary cap and expanded free agency

OP
OP
Cystm

Cystm

giphy.gif

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Good vid. Buddy said something right, there's no pick up culture in soccer in this country. That's why we sucked so much in international competitions.

Yeah it was a good video. Pick up soccer is definitely a struggle in the US.
I think more charter flights will be part of the conversation too

Yeah, it's crazy that they can't do any of those now. I can see why that was a thing early in the league but these days? Doesn't make as much sense when you're trying to attract better players and they see they've gotta ride coach. I mean it's probably not the only factor, but when they can compare it to other leagues and how players are treated, it speaks to a bigger issue, it seems like.

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's crazy that they can't do any of those now. I can see why that was a thing early in the league but these days? Doesn't make as much sense when you're trying to attract better players and they see they've gotta ride coach. I mean it's probably not the only factor, but when they can compare it to other leagues and how players are treated, it speaks to a bigger issue, it seems like.

The whole charter thing is going to be low in the MLSPU priority list IMO.
1. Raising the base salary budget, especially league minimums.
2. Making it easier to get players to free agency.
3. Everything else.

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
The whole charter thing is going to be low in the MLSPU priority list IMO.
1. Raising the base salary budget, especially league minimums.
2. Making it easier to get players to free agency.
3. Everything else.
I agree that it's lesser than those issues, and in #3, they're going to need to address somehow losing all these academy players for free to foreign leagues. I mean, ideally you'd sign these players to a pro contract but it's not always going to work out and I know that these MLS teams are pissed that they're training these kids and not getting anything for it.

The whole free agency scenario needs to be shaken up quite a bit. And minimum salary needs to be $100k at least.

B-Dubs

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that it's lesser than those issues, and in #3, they're going to need to address somehow losing all these academy players for free to foreign leagues. I mean, ideally you'd sign these players to a pro contract but it's not always going to work out and I know that these MLS teams are pissed that they're training these kids and not getting anything for it.

The whole free agency scenario needs to be shaken up quite a bit. And minimum salary needs to be $100k at least.
The academy thing seems more like a league issue and not a player's union one.

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
I'd love to see them drop a DP and significantly up the salary cap to like $8 million.

Really, what's the point of having a cap so low. It doesn't save teams money and it no longer proves very effective in keeping teams at similar levels of competitiveness.

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
Really, what's the point of having a cap so low. It doesn't save teams money and it no longer proves very effective in keeping teams at similar levels of competitiveness.

From the league/teams side:. Having a low cap with a handful of people who partially/completely cap exempt allows teams to pay for players that move the needle in terms of ticket sales and media recognition. It also allows teams to not over pay players who aren't stars, especially ones that don't have a way to move to Europe to get higher wages.

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I'd love to see them drop a DP and significantly up the salary cap to like $8 million.

I'd like to see them add a DP, increase TAM, and raise the minimum salary.

Really I think raising TAM might help the most to build quality depth in the league.

Last edited: