• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
lmao, is he known for saying that shit?
Lol, not sure how he's been in the past but He basically said the revs players are losing games because they don't have angry fans waiting to assault them outside of games when they lose and that maybe they need more pressure to perform and held a bunch of meetings ripping into them for not showing enough "effort"

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was there. The game shouldn't have taken place. The passing completion in the second half was 54% for Atlanta and 45% for Columbus after both teams being over 80% before the game was postponed.

That was a miserable night, so much rain and cold.
It's possible to postpone a game and redo it, but the decision has to be agreed upon and done before the 60th minute (if memory serves). Coaches generally don't want to unless it gets really bad because they figure the bad conditions will open space for their team to exploit or that they can at least get a point out of it.

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
It's possible to postpone a game and redo it, but the decision has to be agreed upon and done before the 60th minute (if memory serves). Coaches generally don't want to unless it gets really bad because they figure the bad conditions will open space for their team to exploit or that they can at least get a point out of it.
Well the referee couldn't figure out what he was going to do. Around the 65th minute, he called the teams together and was debating squeegying the field again or maybe postponing, but there were conflicting opinions in the press box on what the rules are for that. There was talk of it having to be done before 30 mins at the game or at other intervals.

A good indication something should have been done was that there was no stoppage time at the end of 90 and both teams immediately sprinted off to the locker rooms. Apparently Atlanta players ran into the hot showers with their kits still on, a player said he's never seen that.

B-Dubs

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Well the referee couldn't figure out what he was going to do. Around the 65th minute, he called the teams together and was debating squeegying the field again or maybe postponing, but there were conflicting opinions in the press box on what the rules are for that. There was talk of it having to be done before 30 mins at the game or at other intervals.

A good indication something should have been done was that there was no stoppage time at the end of 90 and both teams immediately sprinted off to the locker rooms. Apparently Atlanta players ran into the hot showers with their kits still on, a player said he's never seen that.
You technically can't postpone after the 60th minute if memory serves. Had they called the game at that point the scoreline would have stood. It has to be done before a majority of the game (I think before 2/3rds of time) is played.

But yeah, the option to reschedule should have been given earlier than the 65th. The ref should have gone to them at the half and asked if they wanted to continue.

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
You technically can't postpone after the 60th minute if memory serves. Had they called the game at that point the scoreline would have stood. It has to be done before a majority of the game (I think before 2/3rds of time) is played.

But yeah, the option to reschedule should have been given earlier than the 65th. The ref should have gone to them at the half and asked if they wanted to continue.
Agreed. Is what it is. Was a miserable game to go to. Can't imagine playing in it.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
As much as I would like to vote for Pozuelo here, it has to be Rooney

0vwWZTvNRwWriGA6sibfXw.png

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Im rooting for York. Green is my fav colour so i kinda like em. I just wish on the white home shirts the green stripes would wrap around the back as well.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
If they keep it within 2, that would be a great for them. Monterrey has slipped some but they're still a much more expensive team. They have the equivalent of 10 DPs on their team.
Yeah, I completely agree with you. Like, a 3-1 Monterrey win is kind of ideal. I expect them to score goals, but if KC can sneak out with an away goal, it sets up a nice return leg.

B-Dubs

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
It's the gap between the next 11 that keeps doing MLS sides in. Liga MX has players riding the bench that half the clubs in MLS would be willing to at least put on a big TAM deal, if not make a full DP.

In terms of first 11 the league can compete and win, it's that next 11 that keeps screwing us all over. Salary cap needs to go way up if MLS wants to lift that Cup outside of an improbable run.

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
It's the gap between the next 11 that keeps doing MLS sides in. Liga MX has players riding the bench that half the clubs in MLS would be willing to at least put on a big TAM deal, if not make a full DP.

In terms of first 11 the league can compete and win, it's that next 11 that keeps screwing us all over. Salary cap needs to go way up if MLS wants to lift that Cup outside of an improbable run.
I'd be okay removing the salary cap at this point. Let teams spend what they want to spend. Have a salary floor.

Though the above may work better if we introduce promotion/relegation. Haven't thought much about the pros and cons of that. Pretty sure USL is unaffiliated with MLS so some things would have to change.

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be okay removing the salary cap at this point. Let teams spend what they want to spend. Have a salary floor.

Though the above may work better if we introduce promotion/relegation. Haven't thought much about the pros and cons of that. Pretty sure USL is unaffiliated with MLS so some things would have to change.

Your a fan of a have team, as a fan of a have not team this would kill interest in 3/4 of the league. Turning this league into Europe where literally a hand full of teams can win consistently and everyone else is just there to fill the league is the last thing MLS needs.

MLS is a ticket revenue driven league, people need to show up at the gate for teams to survive, if one day MLS becomes a TV revenue driven league then maybe you can loosen the purse strings.

Right now parity is more important to the health of the league than winning some Continental tournament nobody outside hardcore MLS fan circles care about.

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Your a fan of a have team, as a fan of a have not team this would kill interest in 3/4 of the league. Turning this league into Europe where literally a hand full of teams can win consistently and everyone else is just there to fill the league is the last thing MLS needs.

MLS is a ticket revenue driven league, people need to show up at the gate for teams to survive, if one day MLS becomes a TV revenue driven league then maybe you can loosen the purse strings.

Right now parity is more important to the health of the league than winning some Continental tournament nobody outside hardcore MLS fan circles care about.

Gotta spend money to make money. I'm aware that what I'm wanting won't happen in the next couple years, but it'll happen eventually. More realistically, increasing TAM, GAM, introducing a salary floor (for Kronke and Kraft types) and raising the minimum salary substantially in next CBA would be a great start.

Major things need to happen in MLS so that the league is really coming up in 2026 when the World Cup is here so that the league can capitalize on interest from new soccer fans.

But I believe that TV contracts will be renewed in 2022 at a league level, these shitty local deals will be gone. Once the league can negotiate, that's where the money from TV deals will really start rolling in.

Last edited:

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Have many of the owners expressed that the CCL is a significant priority for them? Like, it'd be nice but I get the feeling that the focus is on MLS Cup.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Have many of the owners expressed that the CCL is a significant priority for them? Like, it'd be nice but I get the feeling that the focus is on MLS Cup.
SKC owners have expressed that winning CCL is a significant priority. They want to be the first MLS team to win CCL. That's one reason why the owners bought all those high altitude tents for the team to sleep in before playing in Mexico.

B-Dubs

On Break
Oct 25, 2017

The cap needs to stay for a bit, if only to keep the league from turning into the EPL.

Also, Pro/Rel would do literally nothing here.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
SKC owners have expressed that winning CCL is a significant priority. They want to be the first MLS team to win CCL. That's one reason why the owners bought all those high altitude tents for the team to sleep in before playing in Mexico.
Interesting. Well, until the salary cap is increased a fair bit, it's going to take a very good team and some luck to be more competitive.
Also, Pro/Rel would do literally nothing here.
Promotion/relegation just isn't on the menu based on the ownership setup.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Interesting. Well, until the salary cap is increased a fair bit, it's going to take a very good team and some luck to be more competitive.
Agreed. It was tough watching the game last night, but it really showed how far MLS still is behind Liga MX. Sporting has some really good players, but I doubt any of them would make the Monterrey first team, maybe not even the bench. Watching Sinovic get burned last night repeatedly just shows how you can be a decent defender in MLS, but you can't do anything against a better opponent. Monterrey was smart though, they knew Seth was the weakest link on defense, and all of their attacks went through that side of the pitch.

B-Dubs

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Promotion/relegation just isn't on the menu based on the ownership setup.
It's also that Pro/Rel wouldn't really do anything to make the league more competitive. Say we got rid of the playoffs and added pro/rel like some people want, you'd just be trading competition at the middle of the table for competition at the very bottom of the table.

I just don't think it would do much to make the league better.