• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
D3uYuIjWwAAavc5.jpg:large

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
Grant Wahl really needs to stop trying to force the idea that winning CCL is some sort of cure all for the league's issues. Spending the massive amount of money needed to regularly compete will never get met with increased revenue, only the hardest of hardcore MLS fans actually care about CCL.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Grant Wahl really needs to stop trying to force the idea that winning CCL is some sort of cure all for the league's issues. Spending the massive amount of money needed to regularly compete will never get met with increased revenue, only the hardest of hardcore MLS fans actually care about CCL.

Lots of discussion about this today.

Sam Stejskal twitter thread:
It's been said a million times, I'll say it again: Before MLS can even begin to think about arriving where it wants to as a league, it has to close the very real gap with a steadily improving Liga MX.

How MLS can close that gap isn't a secret: Spend more money. Simple, right?

Of course not!

Getting to the point where series between top MLS teams and top Liga MX teams are true toss-ups (not one-off upsets, never 10-2 blowouts) requires money to be spent in a way that would probably kill parity and require a drastic re-working of MLS roster rules.

This isn't just about spending. This is about changing a model that has been in place for a quarter century. TFC, ATL, LAFC, etc. could compete with Liga MX if they're allowed to spend. Will the league let them knowing that doing so would likely leave behind PHI, NE, COL, etc.?

It's the biggest question facing the league heading into the CBA, IMO. Do they maintain a measure of intra-MLS parity and stay behind Liga MX? Or do they open things up, lose some of that parity and really give the top teams a chance to compete in CCL? I don't know that answer.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The Guardian: 'The sickest thing': Canadian soccer rocked by claims of systemic abuse
At least 14 former high-level players have alleged Canada Soccer and the Vancouver Whitecaps failed to protect youth team members from abuse and inappropriate behavior by coaches
With the Women's World Cup only months away, soccer in Canada has been jolted by allegations of abuse, manipulation and inappropriate behavior by an elite coach toward players involved with a junior national team and one of the country's most prominent professional clubs.

The allegations, made by at least 14 former high-level players, also implicate Canada Soccer, the sport's national governing body, and the Vancouver Whitecaps of Major League Soccer in failing to protect players from the abusive behavior of coaches. One former Whitecaps player described the events that took place in 2008 to the Guardian as "the most disgusting thing that a coach can ever do".

Although the alleged events took place 11 years ago, the claims were publicly put forth in a blog post by Canadian-born former Irish international Ciara McCormack in February. McCormack, who played collegiately at Yale University before an extensive professional career in Canada, Denmark, Norway, the United States and Australia, had three stints over four seasons with Vancouver Whitecaps Women, the women's section of the homonymous MLS club which played in the USL W-League until folding in 2012.

McCormack, now 39, detailed in her post what she later described to the Guardian as "systemic abuse" within the Whitecaps system that spilled over to the Canada women's youth teams. Her claims were subsequently backed by 13 former Under-20 Canada internationals who released an online statement corroborating and expanding on McCormack's recollection of events from that time.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
I think it goes beyond a money issue, and it becomes more of a popularity issue. While the growth of MLS has been awesome to watch, it still isn't that popular in the US. Once more eyes are on the league, then more money will come in as a result of advertising, merch sales, and ticket sales.

The one goal of MLS right now should be to get people who only watch European soccer and convert them into MLS fans. There is a huge amount of people in American that would rather wake up at 5am to watch Premier League than go out and support a local team, and MLS needs to fix that issue.

Joe_Bush

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I think it goes beyond a money issue, and it becomes more of a popularity issue. While the growth of MLS has been awesome to watch, it still isn't that popular in the US. Once more eyes are on the league, then more money will come in as a result of advertising, merch sales, and ticket sales.

The one goal of MLS right now should be to get people who only watch European soccer and convert them into MLS fans. There is a huge amount of people in American that would rather wake up at 5am to watch Premier League than go out and support a local team, and MLS needs to fix that issue.
Yeah I see that in a surprising number of people that I know. They'll go out to a couple of Sporting KC games each year, but they don't watch MLS outside of those matches and can't name more than a few players outside of the SKC roster. It's frustrating but I don't know how to remedy that, it's probably just a byproduct of having an inferior product at the moment and the allure and prestige of a foreign league.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017

The problem is those guys are generally snobs. You can't get someone to stop being a snob.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Yeah I see that in a surprising number of people that I know. They'll go out to a couple of Sporting KC games each year, but they don't watch MLS outside of those matches and can't name more than a few players outside of the SKC roster. It's frustrating but I don't know how to remedy that, it's probably just a byproduct of having an inferior product at the moment and the allure and prestige of a foreign league.
Yeah, soccer is still viewed as a European sport, not just a sport. I think that still has an influence how people view soccer. In the past people have asked me what my favorite sports are, and I'll respond with "soccer and Formula 1," and they'll come back with "no, I mean American sports." It's all just sports.
The problem is those guys are generally snobs. You can't get someone to stop being a snob.
For sure, and I get that. I think if you can capture a fan between like 16-25, they'll be a fan for life. I find a lot of those Eurosnobs to be older people. I didn't start watching MLS until college because I didn't know about it. Then Sporting KC opened the new stadium, and it had this cool vibe around it. Plus that first year they gave away free tickets, so for a college kid that was awesome. After a few games I just knew I'd be a fan forever. With how popular soccer is to younger people, MLS needs to work on getting them to become fans.

Grandia

Dec 13, 2017
my predictions

• CHICAGO 2- 2 VANCOUVER
  • HOUSTON 2 -2 SAN JOSE
  • SEATTLE 2-2 TORONTO
  • MINNESOTA 2-0 NYC
  • NEW ENGLAND 1-2 ATL
  • DALLAS 3-1 PORTLAND
  • COLORADO 1-3 DC
  • RSL 2-2 ORLANDO
  • LAFC 3-0 CINCINNATI
  • LA GALAXY 2-1 PHILLY
  • KANSAS 1-2 RED BULLS

Last edited:

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017

How does wanting to watch the highest quality of play make you a snob? I watch 90% European soccer; I try to follow the MLS but in a world of finite time etc. Most of the soccer fans I know are the same way. I think every one of those people would watch much more MLS if the quality of play were higher (which also translates to more prestige for titles, more well-known players in the league, more players building casualfan recognition at WCs, etc).

ZZMitch

Oct 26, 2017
How does wanting to watch the highest quality of play make you a snob?

For someone who watches 90% MLS, what 'snob' means is something like this. A co-worker, friend etc. gets talking about soccer... they ask me what team I like and I say Toronto FC. They scoff and say something along the lines of "No, but really, what team are you a fan of". When I tell them I don't really care about European soccer the conversation becomes something along the lines of "You know MLS isn't real football (it's always football) right?"

I have had some variant of this conversation many times, and I feel like there is nothing MLS can do to reach these people... at least not in the near future.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
For someone who watches 90% MLS, what 'snob' means is something like this. A co-worker, friend etc. gets talking about soccer... they ask me what team I like and I say Toronto FC. They scoff and say something along the lines of "No, but really, what team are you a fan of". When I tell them I don't really care about European soccer the conversation becomes something along the lines of "You know MLS isn't real football (it's always football) right?"

I have had some variant of this conversation many times, and I feel like there is nothing MLS can do to reach these people... at least not in the near future.

You might be right about the near future, but I do think the "MLS is a joke" meme will falter when it gets less bad. Klinsmann weaponizing the MLS's bad reputation to fight his petty press disputes didn't help either. My read, which could be wrong, is that a lot of people are just repeating the received wisdom on MLS but would in the medium- or long-term be willing to watch a league with better quality on the field. Reputation might lag reality by a couple years, but I think they're still tied together.

I also wanted to push back because, like, there are a lot of people who just watch European soccer because they're fans of European soccer without saying anything about MLS. The Premier League is a great sports product! Saying Euro-over-local soccer fans are "generally snobs" is painting with too broad a brush imo.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
You might be right about the near future, but I do think the "MLS is a joke" meme will falter when it gets less bad. Klinsmann weaponizing the MLS's bad reputation to fight his petty press disputes didn't help either. My read, which could be wrong, is that a lot of people are just repeating the received wisdom on MLS but would in the medium- or long-term be willing to watch a league with better quality on the field. Reputation might lag reality by a couple years, but I think they're still tied together.

I also wanted to push back because, like, there are a lot of people who just watch European soccer because they're fans of European soccer without saying anything about MLS. The Premier League is a great sports product! Saying Euro-over-local soccer fans are "generally snobs" is painting with too broad a brush imo.
One thing to take into consideration is if there was more interest from locals in MLS, there would be a better product as more money would be coming into the league through advertising and TV deals. So it's this cycle of "I don't watch MLS because the product isn't as good" to "I'd watch MLS if the product was better." Supporting local soccer now is how we have a better product in 10-20 years.

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
One thing to take into consideration is if there was more interest from locals in MLS, there would be a better product as more money would be coming into the league through advertising and TV deals. So it's this cycle of "I don't watch MLS because the product isn't as good" to "I'd watch MLS if the product was better." Supporting local soccer now is how we have a better product in 10-20 years.
It's all connected. It's not one thing or another. Academies, better TV deals, deeper rosters, etc.

The product has improved quite a bit in the last 10 years or so, DPs and TAM have helped.

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I just signed up for ESPN+ to give the MLS another go. I don't usually watch MLS games, but I like Columbus, saw that they're playing right now, & like the cheap entry price to give + a shot. After I sign up, which was nice and easy, I click on the match and it's blocked in my area. I'm already done with this service and it hasn't even been 5 minutes into my free trial.

ZZMitch

Oct 26, 2017
I just signed up for ESPN+ to give the MLS another go. I don't usually watch MLS games, but I like Columbus, saw that they're playing right now, & like the cheap entry price to give + a shot. After I sign up, which was nice and easy, I click on the match and it's blocked in my area. I'm already done with this service and it hasn't even been 5 minutes into my free trial.

Do you have a VPN? I live in Canada and use NordVPN to watch MLS games on ESPN+ because the value is so much better than DAZN and I can watch Canadian MLS teams. NordVPN allows you to change the region of your server as well. For example, I am watching the Columbus game right now and the VPN defaulted to Cleveland (which is blocked), so I just moved it to Chicago and it is working fine now.

Local blockouts are a thing with almost every sports streaming package unfortunately. The only exception I have found is MLBTV.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing worse about the crap start to the Timbers season is the great start to the Sounders season. Hopefully we get a W today, although I'm not holding my breath.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Easily Atlanta's best performance of the year, and the most reminiscent of the past two seasons.

Yes, the Revs are trash, but I'll take it at this point.

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Easily Atlanta's best performance of the year, and the most reminiscent of the past two seasons.

Yes, the Revs are trash, but I'll take it at this point.
Yeah, it looked like Atlanta the last couple years. The attacking was great, the defending was shaky but good enough since the Revs are unorganized and shit. Atlanta did what you'd expect them to do, and I'll take that.

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Who this barco kid? What a goal
Heh, Barco was a $15 million signing fee so this isn't surprising but they were paying for potential as he was 18 then, 20 now. He seems to finally be growing into it with 4 goals this season. He'd been shy to take these kind of shots in the past and preferred to dribble into trouble where he'd get fouled.

This is so petty. It's great.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know I rail on Pro. I do that because I want the league to be better, and I think they actively hurt the league. Pro literally cost us the game tonight. I have nothing else to say.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen much less called as a penalty.
Right? We're in last fucking place, and I'm not going to pretend we are a great team or anything. But to see multiple, very clear pks not get called even after VAR is infuriating. The head ref reviewed that second tweet! He decided that wasn't a pk! HOW. If those were called, we probably would have at least tied today.