• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
Superb result for the Baby Yanks! Regardless of what happens in the quarters, knocking off France is quite an achievement. You can guarantee some top scouts from European leagues took notice today and hopefully some of these guys can move on to bigger and better things and be able to contribute to the senior side in a few years.

OP
OP
Cystm

Cystm

giphy.gif

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
I've never been a huge Tab fan, but him subbing on Llanez and Rennicks changed the game. Kudos to him for that. They made the most of their chances and absorbed pressure all game pretty well.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently David Beckham is trying to build modern Barca in Miami. Messi and all.

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Apparently David Beckham is trying to build modern Barca in Miami. Messi and all.
Honestly not too surprising for a guy that came here with his prime years behind him wants to bring in similar big names in the same situation. Messi will be 32 then.

Obviously getting Suarez and Messi at that age, they've still got some positive years left but it's just more retirement league bullshit. Want to make a big splash? Get Mbappe or someone that's in their prime.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I have to believe that barring something crazy Messi will probably still be in good enough form at 32 to continue playing at a high level in Europe.

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I have to believe that barring something crazy Messi will probably still be in good enough form at 32 to continue playing at a high level in Europe.
Imagine how much money he'd want. It would shatter MLS records. Probably in the range of $30 million/year. Suarez will probably want around $15 million/year.

Thing with Messi is that they might try to entice him same way they got Beckham: give him rights to get an MLS club at some point.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine how much money he'd want. It would shatter MLS records. Probably in the range of $30 million/year. Suarez will probably want around $15 million/year.

Thing with Messi is that they might try to entice him same way they got Beckham: give him rights to get an MLS club at some point.

I always thought that would be more the path to get CR7 to the MLS, assuming he's not arrested. It worked for Beckham because he seemed to be more into that "Hollywood" brand and lifestyle, so LA/America was a good career choice in that stage of his career. Ultimately we don't really know these guys or what motivates them, so maybe Messi would be super into living in Miami and owning an MLS franchise in Vegas or New Orleans or something some day, I guess that was just not my initial perception of him. Wasn't there always talk that he wanted to spend his twilight years back home in Argentina playing for Newel's Old Boys? Though I guess the right amount of money could change any plans.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I'm a casual so I'm sure I have bad opinions but man there doesnt seem to be a lot to be excited about with the mens team. They look awful tonight and I only know a few of the names. I'm sure some of that is intentional with the gold cup in a few days. Anyways I wish they shipped their whole team off to Europe and made them play. Klinnsman had the right idea but seems like they want to go in the complete opposite direction.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a casual so I'm sure I have bad opinions but man there doesnt seem to be a lot to be excited about with the mens team. They look awful tonight and I only know a few of the names. I'm sure some of that is intentional with the gold cup in a few days. Anyways I wish they shipped their whole team off to Europe and made them play. Klinnsman had the right idea but seems like they want to go in the complete opposite direction.
There's a lot of players in Europe on the team. The best of them (Pulisic and Adams) aren't with the squad yet. To be honest, getting regular playing time in competitive is probably more important than just being in Europe.

Yeah, no kidding.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Can we finally replace Will Trapp with Tyler Adams? PLEASE?

Trapp belongs nowhere near the starting-11

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Can we finally replace Will Trapp with Tyler Adams? PLEASE?

Trapp belongs nowhere near the starting-11
Wil Trapp is to Berhalter what Bigsoccer nerds alleged MB was to Bob. If Berhalter really believes he can play up to this level then he needs to be challenged in his club play too because Columbus isn't going to get him there.

I only caught the last half hour or so of last nights match and man was it depressing. I know it is a bunch of reserves and guys getting tried out but we still shouldn't be losing to Jamaica, thoroughly, at home. We *really* shouldn't be taking prep matches for granted right before what could be the last Gold Cup either - screwing around and treating our group matches like pre-tourney matches resulted in us getting caught out last time around too.

When do WCQ start again? Fall? Because I might just check out on caring at all about the MNT til then.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Wil Trapp is to Berhalter what Bigsoccer nerds alleged MB was to Bob. If Berhalter really believes he can play up to this level then he needs to be challenged in his club play too because Columbus isn't going to get him there.

I only caught the last half hour or so of last nights match and man was it depressing. I know it is a bunch of reserves and guys getting tried out but we still shouldn't be losing to Jamaica, thoroughly, at home. We *really* shouldn't be taking prep matches for granted right before what could be the last Gold Cup either - screwing around and treating our group matches like pre-tourney matches resulted in us getting caught out last time around too.

When do WCQ start again? Fall? Because I might just check out on caring at all about the MNT til then.
The issue is Bradley always had the potential, Trapp doesn't.

I'm just looking at the experiments here while also remembering what we did in the prior games.

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
There's a lot of players in Europe on the team. The best of them (Pulisic and Adams) aren't with the squad yet. To be honest, getting regular playing time in competitive is probably more important than just being in Europe.
Was going to chime in and say that getting regular playing time is more important than being in Europe and riding the bench or being loaned out to a bottom feeder team in a European league.

Supposedly they used yesterday to try a new formation and some other players out. But that was thoroughly uninspiring. They should have called up Miles Robinson, Captain Backpass should be nowhere near the team, Trapp shouldn't be playing. It's just an uninspiring lineup. I don't feel great going into the Gold Cup.

I'm happy that Berhalter has a system but sometimes I feel like he goes so much towards guys that fit that than the best players. It's the opposite of Klinsman in a lot of ways where there was no real system. We need both. We need the top players that are eligible and need to teach them this system.

The U-20 lineup may offer some hope but can't get too excited about them because most of them will likely not pan out.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Was going to chime in and say that getting regular playing time is more important than being in Europe and riding the bench or being loaned out to a bottom feeder team in a European league.

Supposedly they used yesterday to try a new formation and some other players out. But that was thoroughly uninspiring. They should have called up Miles Robinson, Captain Backpass should be nowhere near the team, Trapp shouldn't be playing. It's just an uninspiring lineup.

The U-20 lineup may offer some hope but can't get too excited about them because most of them will likely not pan out.
There's also a few guys not in the U-20's that might come good. Guys like Omir were on the bubble for that squad and are getting good playing time and performing well at the club level right now. \

I would also note that most of that Jamaica team was made up of USL guys. Also Kemar Lawrence was there. Which is why nothing was happening on the right side, dude is straight up the best left back in the region.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah that's what I'm getting at - ppl saw nepotism in MB being on the squad but he had amazing potential and got there for quite a while.

No Sargent on this roster just has me shaking my head.
I don't really have much of an issue with leaving him off for now. GGG needs to win this one and he probably won't have time to whet Sargent in these games.

Listing Tyler Adams as a defender, ffs though. Leave Trapp at home and put Tyler in the middle. Stop overthinking it!

OP
OP
Cystm

Cystm

This guy puts Gyasi fucking Zardes above Josh Sargeant. Bullshit. You're loyal to a fault and you need to fucking stop yourself.

It would be cool for you and them if their potential was actualized and justified these call ups, Gregg, but they weren't good this club season. They weren't even good in your friendlies.

Cut them. Would that be hard? Sure, but you took the fucking job on. That's the job. Set aside your biases and reward the best performers for club and country.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Trapp and Zardes need to stay home. That's what it comes down to. Neither are really good enough at this point.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Oh yeah that's what I'm getting at - ppl saw nepotism in MB being on the squad but he had amazing potential and got there for quite a while.

No Sargent on this roster just has me shaking my head.

Bradley only had potential in Europe and got lazy and came home. It's like he failed on that loan spell in England and gave up.

If you want to maximize your potential go/stay in Europe. I'd even say go south of the border and play in Mexico to be tested more. Not sure why more youth players are not pursuing this as a stepping stone either. Playing in MLS isn't the challenge needed for international play yet. Especially with the youngsters who will look out of their realm. Yes MLS has gotten better but we are looking at another 10 plus years of progress before it gets to that challenge needed for international play.

Keep in mind as MLS gets stronger it's only going to increase the level of play for other concacaf teams who have a lot of players within the league. That is why Americans need to go abroad to keep the skill gap. Playing and practicing against the best will always outweigh a guaranteed spot.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
Fuckin Zardes. How many times is this dude going to get called up and do absolutely nothing? He's got zero touch and isn't even a great poacher a la Wondo.

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
There's also a few guys not in the U-20's that might come good. Guys like Omir were on the bubble for that squad and are getting good playing time and performing well at the club level right now. \

I would also note that most of that Jamaica team was made up of USL guys. Also Kemar Lawrence was there. Which is why nothing was happening on the right side, dude is straight up the best left back in the region.
To be fair, the team with Pulisic, Jozy, Adams etc would have played much better. But it was still a poor performance from a second choice team.

And you're right about Kemar. It's just that on the rest of the field that the US didn't look threatening there either.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Bradley only had potential in Europe and got lazy and came home. It's like he failed on that loan spell in England and gave up.

If you want to maximize your potential go/stay in Europe. I'd even say go south of the border and play in Mexico to be tested more. Not sure why more youth players are not pursuing this as a stepping stone either. Playing in MLS isn't the challenge needed for international play yet. Especially with the youngsters who will look out of their realm. Yes MLS has gotten better but we are looking at another 10 plus years of progress before it gets to that challenge needed for international play.

Keep in mind as MLS gets stronger it's only going to increase the level of play for other concacaf teams who have a lot of players within the league. That is why Americans need to go abroad to keep the skill gap. Playing and practicing against the best will always outweigh a guaranteed spot.
Bradley did fine in Europe, dude came home for the money.

I still think it's important to note: teams like Costa Rica have squads that feature MLS players heavily. And the Jamaica team had a mix of USL and MLS players.

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Bradley did fine in Europe, dude came home for the money.

I still think it's important to note: teams like Costa Rica have squads that feature MLS players heavily. And the Jamaica team had a mix of USL and MLS players.
Careful, you'll hurt feelings by bringing logic into this. ;p

I don't know who this person is but I agree with all of this.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Careful, you'll hurt feelings by bringing logic into this. ;p

I don't know who this person is but I agree with all of this.

Bradley probably deserves a tiny tiny tiny bit of leeway considering Toronto's issues in central defense and his own role. Lima is kind of a perfect fit for GGG's system as well. Beyond that I agree with that 100%.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Susaeta is a bright guy who can be really cranky but he's usually right about what he posts.

I have some issues with the roster, but I want to see how it performs in meaningful games before condemning it completely. I understand the need for a token amount of continuity and senior leadership, but it's a fine line between that and the coach always going with his guys to the detriment of the team. We shall see...