• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I really couldn't have hoped for a better finish. KC gets a ridiculous 9 minutes because of their own supporters' antics, and all they have to show for it is a goal against. Just beautiful.

Poor Zarek got abused all night though. That was unpleasant to watch.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
uYIw4J_XxaI7IThYLJ6NF_L8THMgCdrnslWd_i54ulw.jpg

Arthur Blank is paying for anyone in his family of businesses to attend the MLS Cup. This includes the Falcons, United, his foundation, and the stadium operations team.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AHHHHHHH AHHH AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH OH MY GOD WE'RE GOING TO ANOTHER MLS CUP FINAL AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey. So. Real talk. American Soccer ERA.

You know how I'm like, so super RCTID. I could go into my history here, but I'm kinda drunk still and excited from that win. So I'm choosing not to. Frankly, I'm surprised I'm not just dancing around my apartment with my cat. I know Atlanta is like, the new hotness but is rooting for them fun? Reaaaaaaaaaalllllllllyyyyyyy? The big team with all the money and the huge stadium and the big market and blah blah blah etc? That's not fun.

You know what's fun? Portland. We're fun. We have a quirky reputation, even though that's really annoying and actually very not true anymore because fucking tech companies are fucking driving up our rent those mothofaisfhasofd annnnnnnnnyway yeah sports.

No seriously! We're a small market team. Our stadium seats like, 21k. Atlanta seats a ton more. We have franchise players that are on their way out, like Valeri (our best player ever) and Chara (also our best player ever, don't talk to me about this I'll want to explode before deciding) and like, we're underdogs. We're kinda always underdogs. And that's the best kind of team to root for, isn't it? Sports to me are about evoking emotions, and my Timbers provide the most entertaining drama that I get to personally experience. Root for us underdogs. Go Timbers. Rose City Till I Die.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Very much pulling for Portland then, as there are fan ties between them and DCFC.

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
The only non Union MLS scarf I own is a Timbers Army scarf I traded for out in Portland so it's an easy choice which side to root for next Saturday.

OwensboroEsq

Oct 25, 2017
Hey. So. Real talk. American Soccer ERA.

You know how I'm like, so super RCTID. I could go into my history here, but I'm kinda drunk still and excited from that win. So I'm choosing not to. Frankly, I'm surprised I'm not just dancing around my apartment with my cat. I know Atlanta is like, the new hotness but is rooting for them fun? Reaaaaaaaaaalllllllllyyyyyyy? The big team with all the money and the huge stadium and the big market and blah blah blah etc? That's not fun.

You know what's fun? Portland. We're fun. We have a quirky reputation, even though that's really annoying and actually very not true anymore because fucking tech companies are fucking driving up our rent those mothofaisfhasofd annnnnnnnnyway yeah sports.

No seriously! We're a small market team. Our stadium seats like, 21k. Atlanta seats a ton more. We have franchise players that are on their way out, like Valeri (our best player ever) and Chara (also our best player ever, don't talk to me about this I'll want to explode before deciding) and like, we're underdogs. We're kinda always underdogs. And that's the best kind of team to root for, isn't it? Sports to me are about evoking emotions, and my Timbers provide the most entertaining drama that I get to personally experience. Root for us underdogs. Go Timbers. Rose City Till I Die.

Real talk, Atlanta United is fun as hell to root for. Atlanta United is honestly the first thing I've ever seen the WHOLE CITY support. The problem with Atlanta sports is that Atlanta is a transient town. If you hit the street and ask people "What [insert pro sport] team do you root for?", you will get more non-Atlanta teams every time. But Atlanta United.... man... the whole damn city loves them, and it's mostly because almost no one is a transient soccer fan. People I know from New York? They couldn't care less about the Red Bull or NYCFC, but they're all in on ATL UTD. It's crazy man, crazy. It gets doubly crazy when you factor in Atlanta sports history and how it just makes people not care (or trust) any Atlanta sports team. 5 Teams, 140 seasons, 60 winning seasons, 54 playoff appearances, 24 division championships, 6 Conference/league championships, only 1 championship. Thanks to Cleveland finally winning something Atlanta has taken the mantle of "Worst Sports Town in America for a fan".

Let Atlanta have something that's not "28-3", or Kirby Puckett, or the Infield Fly Rule, or Bobby Petrino, or Michael Vick's dogs, or Eugene Robinson getting arrested the night before the Super Bowl, or the 1996 World Series Collapse, or...you get the point. You may think you're the underdogs because you're a lower seed playing away from home, but you're going to have to trust me here: Atlanta are always the underdogs, and forever will be, until someone in this damn city fixes the sports culture. Atlanta United actually has a chance to do that and we're just freaking out about it. Or, we're just 90 minute away from whatever the soccer version of "28-3" is and we'll all feel like shit all over again. Doesn't help we're losing our coach and two best players after this season. Uuuuuugh.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still buzzing. I've watched the highlights like, at least five times. Oh man. I love this team. <3

...I also can't fly out because I have a ton of work stuff and it's on super short notice. :(

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
went to the caps team store today and...wow. The Whitecaps are so desperate and shameless in their pursuit for money that they're actually selling Bayern fucking Munich jerseys, but not Canadian National Team ones. a club selling ANOTHER CLUB'S JERSEYS AT THEIR OWN TEAM STORE

lmaoooooooo this club wild

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
went to the caps team store today and...wow. The Whitecaps are so desperate and shameless in their pursuit for money that they're actually selling Bayern fucking Munich jerseys, but not Canadian National Team ones. a club selling ANOTHER CLUB'S JERSEYS AT THEIR OWN TEAM STORE

Wasn't FCD selling Zlatan kits when LA came? When we played St Pauli they were selling their own stuff there too but that's different IMO; they even bring merch to their away matches in a touring club shop so it's part of the deal. Not excusing this tho bc I agree it's gross.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

Can't blame them, he's been the best thing to happen to the Caps in like forever.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
Wasn't FCD selling Zlatan kits when LA came? When we played St Pauli they were selling their own stuff there too but that's different IMO; they even bring merch to their away matches in a touring club shop so it's part of the deal. Not excusing this tho bc I agree it's gross.

touring clubs/ friendlies are completely fine. the FCD thing and this are wack.

Can't blame them, he's been the best thing to happen to the Caps in like forever.

i love davies but caps just taking milking levels to a whole different level

FWIW, i think if the red bulls sold Adams Leipzig kits it'd be fine because at least there's a direct connection between RBNY and Leipzig.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
I think I'm OK with the hire, or have at least talked myself into it. Mostly just ready to finally get the post-Klinsmann era started for better or worse.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Two of the more reasonable articles on the Berhalter hire:

Matt Doyle: A man, a plan, a new head coach for USMNT
To be clear, I think that Berhalter, who was named head coach of the USMNT on Sunday, will come up with a very good plan. I think he will impose a structure and instill a sense of tactical balance and responsibility on this young roster. I'm not certain that he will get the very best out of everyone on the team, but I am certain that will not be for lack of clarity and planning and effortful execution.

For the past five years, Berhalter's Crew played the most defined and structured system in MLS. And at no point – that includes this past year, when his team wasn't scoring much – could anyone have accused his side of a "lack of attacking play." Sure, the final product didn't always come off (which isn't unusual for any small-budget team in any league). But by both the underlying numbers and the eye test, the Crew moved. Let them get into a rhythm and they would spray; bottle them up and they'd run. Try to shove it down their throat and you'd meet well-drilled banks of four, everyone in their zone and all involved in helping each other keep tabs on opposing attackers both on and off the ball.

His job now is to translate that overall ethos to the US men's national team.

Grant Wahl: U.S. Soccer's Process Adds Pressure, Colors Perspective of Gregg Berhalter's Hiring
Many of those people that I respect—most of whom work in soccer outside the federation—also think Gregg Berhalter is a good hire. We'll find out eventually based on what happens on the field. But he shouldn't be happy about a U.S. Soccer process that has only heaped a pile of unneeded pressure on his back.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
CCL DRAW RESULTS:

Santos Laguna (Mexico) VS Marathon (Honduras)

POR/NYRB VS Atletico Pantoja (Dominican Republic)

Tigres UANL (Mexico) VS Saprissa (Costa Rica)

Houston Dynamo (Texas) VS Guastatoya (Guatemala)

Toluca (MEX) VS Sporting Kansas City (USA)

Toronto FC (CAN) VS Independiente (Panama)

Atlanta United (USA) VS Herediano (Costa Rica)

Monterrey (MEX) VS Alianza (El Salvador)

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, glad I'm not going to Atlanta I guess because my GF's family is going to be in town. And Smash comes out Friday, so yeah. I dunno. Man. Also, OwensboroEsq, I'm glad your town is really all in for your team. That's awesome.

ONE DAY AGAIN SOON WE WILL MAKE ANOTHER MLS CUP FINAL, AND I WILL ATTEND.

Joe_Bush

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Welp, glad I'm not going to Atlanta I guess because my GF's family is going to be in town. And Smash comes out Friday, so yeah. I dunno. Man. Also, OwensboroEsq, I'm glad your town is really all in for your team. That's awesome.

ONE DAY AGAIN SOON WE WILL MAKE ANOTHER MLS CUP FINAL, AND I WILL ATTEND.
One day, one day, just maybe, there will be a cup final hosted in the Western conference again

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017

We will miss you, GGG.

In great news, MLS/Precourt's motion to dismiss the Modell Law lawsuit has been DENIED

We're very close to a fait accompli scenario in Columbus between this and the Haslam-led group stepping up to purchase the club. We shall not be moved #SavedTheCrew

MLS fans, how good is Berhalter?

Very good at finding talent that fits his system, got us to the playoffs every year but one (2016), including two Conference Finals and an MLS Cup appearance.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Very good at finding talent that fits his system, got us to the playoffs every year but one (2016), including two Conference Finals and an MLS Cup appearance.
He's going to need to fit his system to the talent we have now though. If he tries playing Trapp over Adams or McKennie then we've got a big issue.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
He's going to need to fit his system to the talent we have now though. If he tries playing Trapp over Adams or McKennie then we've got a big issue.

I don't think he'll do that. It'll be interesting to see what he does with the talent he has. I think he can do a good job without needing to shoehorn in Trapp and Zardes.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think he'll do that. It'll be interesting to see what he does with the talent he has. I think he can do a good job without needing to shoehorn in Trapp and Zardes.
I think there's enough talent available that he can do almost whatever he wants to do. If he wants to press we've got the player pool for it, if he wants to pass we've got the player pool for it. We won't be top tier in either, but the current group of young guys have a very high ceiling.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017

It's almost over. The nightmare is almost dead. One hour to go.

EDIT: Inside Man just confirmed this is what we've waited for. New downtown stadium, training facility, and a youth sports complex. Seems like the Columbus Eagles (our unaffiliated women's team) may be involved as well.

EDIT 2: Actually, new downtown stadium announcement is tomorrow at Land Grant Brewing. Today is just about future for Mapfre, which is it'll become a public sports complex/venue and seems the Eagles will move to play there.

Last edited: