• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
The FC Cin moves have been interesting. Still annoyed we lost Ndam, but they made really smart picks in the draft. They probably won't compete their first year, but outside of the Fire who did.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
good riddance waston

decent player but he's getting old, his style as a CB is outdated, threw the whole club under the bus towards the end of his tenure, and we're getting so much damn $$$ for him

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Gonzalo Veron has been spotted near an immigration office or something in NYC.

He's coming home!

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so confused, aren't you supposed to make your signings like a week before the season? I'm not used to having new players to watch during preseason. Tanner actually talking to the media and discussing important on field topics makes him already 1000% more likeable than Stewart.
Kaku was supposed to be a December signing as well. The earlier you sign the earlier you can get them acclimated to the team and the area.

Joe_Bush

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
All of those changes will result in better, more entertaining soccer for the playoffs, which I support. It's probably going to exacerbate that thing where the Shield winner rarely wins the Cup, though, for better or worse. I'm wondering if having teams prepared earlier will help MLS clubs in the CCL, I have to assume so but I guess we'll see soon.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017

I feel like all of these changes are for the positive except for adding more teams to the playoffs.

I understand that it's probably in preparation for the league increasing to 28 teams in the future, but I just don't want an NBA-like situation where more than half the league makes the playoffs.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
All of those changes will result in better, more entertaining soccer for the playoffs, which I support. It's probably going to exacerbate that thing where the Shield winner rarely wins the Cup, though, for better or worse. I'm wondering if having teams prepared earlier will help MLS clubs in the CCL, I have to assume so but I guess we'll see soon.
If anything I feel like it'll help the shield winner win the cup. They'll have home field the whole way through.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I can't find the tweet, but I read yesterday that the home winning percentage is about 65% for single-game playoffs whereas it's about 55% for home-and-home series. So this gives a bigger advantage to teams that did well in the regular season.

Joe_Bush

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I didn't know that statistic, and that makes some sense too. I was thinking more along the lines of how a single-elimination tournament typically plays out in, for example, college basketball. This year the away team was, what, 3-3 in two-legged playoff contests? And playing at home is such a big advantage in this league that it probably would have an affect in a single-elimination tournament. Maybe it's because I'm a KC fan and they dropped out as the top seed in the West this year that I'm iffy about that

A thirteen-day break between the end of the season and the beginning of the playoffs will be interesting as well. On one hand, it could help diminish the kind of whirlwind turnaround we saw this year, where that first night of knockout games saw Dallas and NYC playing to practically empty stadiums partially because those games were played with I assume little fanfare and promotion on Halloween night only a couple of days after the season ended. On the other hand... I gotta wonder if that diminishes some of the momentum that teams like DCU and Columbus finished with (if I remember right).

I don't know, it'll be interesting. I'm grateful to see the league actually interacting with known issues, though.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know that statistic, and that makes some sense too. I was thinking more along the lines of how a single-elimination tournament typically plays out in, for example, college basketball. This year the away team was, what, 3-3 in two-legged playoff contests? And playing at home is such a big advantage in this league that it probably would have an affect in a single-elimination tournament. Maybe it's because I'm a KC fan and they dropped out as the top seed in the West this year that I'm iffy about that

A thirteen-day break between the end of the season and the beginning of the playoffs will be interesting as well. On one hand, it could help diminish the kind of whirlwind turnaround we saw this year, where that first night of knockout games saw Dallas and NYC playing to practically empty stadiums partially because those games were played with I assume little fanfare and promotion on Halloween night only a couple of days after the season ended. On the other hand... I gotta wonder if that diminishes some of the momentum that teams like DCU and Columbus finished with (if I remember right).

I don't know, it'll be interesting. I'm grateful to see the league actually interacting with known issues, though.
The current system already kills the momentum between legs, it just does it at a later point. Right now the lower seed is favored, now the higher will be.

Joe_Bush

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas

Diego Rubio kind of almost broke through last season, he was a fan favorite in KC but I understand the trade. I just... like... I hope there's a plan to end up in a position where Krisztian Nemeth isn't the starting striker, judging by his relative mediocrity since he returned to MLS. I'm not looking forward to a repeat of the second half of 2017.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017

Bummed we won't have away days out west but it makes the most sense to keep travel costs down right now. I wonder if there will be any kind of one-off final vs. the winner of the other region... either way I am just real excited to have more than 3 months of matches.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
Haji Wright and McKennie both starting for Schalke today. A good sign even if Wright's lost the ball three times in five touches so far.

edit: Haji poked goal right before HT to redeem a fairly awful half

Last edited:

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
So... supporters are being asked to donate money to help fund the Union's precious academy/high school. The cheapness of Jay Sugarman knows no bounds.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Jan camp roster:
U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION (Club; Caps/Goals):

GOALKEEPERS (4): Alex Bono (Toronto FC/CAN; 1/0), Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 5/0), Tyler Miller (LAFC; 0/0),
Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew SC; 6/0)

DEFENDERS (10): Reggie Cannon (FC Dallas; 2/0), Greg Garza (FC Cincinnati; 10/0), Justen Glad (Real Salt Lake; 0/0), Nick Lima (San Jose Earthquakes; 0/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 2/0), Daniel Lovitz (Montreal Impact/CAN; 0/0), Mark McKenzie (Philadelphia Union; 0/0), Keegan Rosenberry (Colorado Rapids; 0/0), Auston Trusty (Philadelphia Union; 0/0), Walker Zimmerman (LAFC; 4/1)

MIDFIELDERS (10): Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids; 23/2), Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 17/2), Corey Baird (Real Salt Lake; 0/0), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC/CAN; 142/17), Russell Canouse (D.C. United; 0/0), Marky Delgado (Toronto FC/CAN; 6/0), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 5/1), Djordje Mihailovic (Chicago Fire; 0/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 5/0), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 11/0)

FORWARDS (3): Jeremy Ebobisse (Portland Timbers; 0/0), Christian Ramirez (LAFC; 0/0), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew SC; 40/6)