• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
A little surprised to not see a Jozy or any experienced keeper in that group. Not mad about it or anything, but just kind of expected to see a couple more really internationally experienced players to set the tone. But that's what January camp is for I suppose.

Unrelated but WE ARE FINALLY GETTING A NEW PITCH:
https://www.detcityfc.com/news_article/show/978757
HAMTRAMCK, Mich. – The Michigan Municipal League Foundation today announced an $807,200 grant from the Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. Foundation to create a master plan and community engagement process for Hamtramck's 26-acre Veterans Memorial Park.
In addition, it was announced during a news conference this afternoon that more than half of the grant will be used to replace the turf at Keyworth, which is about a decade past its life span, and is where the community's high school and middle school teams, and the Detroit City Football Club play.

At first I was surprised to see it being paid for via a charitable grant but that pitch is used pretty much all the time. There are amateur sides who practice and play on it when the schools/DCFC don't have it and it is actually open to the community when not booked, so there are all kinds of kids on it on the regular. Hell, sometimes they don't even wait for the players to leave the locker room after a match to run out and take over the pitch 😅 so it's going to be awesome to see. This current one doesn't even have proper drainage so it floods with moderate rain!

Considering we've had some first division sides from Italy and Mexico come through, I wonder who might come out now that was reticent before because of the state of the surface (which I absolutely do not blame them for because it is HIT.)

The only thing I'm a little curious on is how the club will handle parking if/when all this work goes down - a lot of folks park in the neighborhood but there's only so much room; the club runs parking out of the neighboring park area and it covers some of the space that is normally baseball fields...

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
A little surprised to not see a Jozy or any experienced keeper in that group. Not mad about it or anything, but just kind of expected to see a couple more really internationally experienced players to set the tone. But that's what January camp is for I suppose.
Apparently Jozy is still recovering from surgery. If I'm honest I'd like to see Ramirez get the start. Out of the strikers that got called up I think he's the one with the highest ceiling. Beyond that, I think he's probably the best of the three.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Well, here's hoping his tenure is more like Ajax than Milan or Palace.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
The news about Sigi really sucks. I'll always remember him for those great Sounders teams, the fun ones, and not the LA dumpster fire.

Joe_Bush

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Sigi means so much to the American game, you can't tell the story of MLS without him. This video about the relationship between him and Bruce Arena produced by MLS in 2016 provides an excellent historical sense of his role in building up a number of excellent MLS sides

Deleted member 18502

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to read about Sigi, he will always be a legend in Columbus. Great to see GBS back in the league with the Galaxy.

SegFault

Oct 25, 2017
i hope the league honors him in some way. dude was mls and those exciting seattle teams he coached i would say are part of what helped make mls popular.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017

idk about this one chief

giphy.gif

OP
OP
Cystm

Cystm

Imagine being an Austin FC "supporter" after all of this. They've poisoned the well right from conception.

They need to just lean into the evil Cthulhu motif and be true to what's at their core. A spoiled man child who would do anything to get what he "deserves."

Edit:
This guy is the Trump of MLS owners.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being an Austin FC "supporter" after all of this. They've poisoned the well right from conception.

They need to just lean into the evil Cthulhu motif and be true to what's at their core. A spoiled man child who would do anything to get what he "deserves."
This gives me a fun tifo idea lol

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
RE: Austin, it's a particular subset of the fans who have really poisoned the well, the ones who were doing a job on our grave pre-emptively. The ones who insisted we were solely the problem and poor Fat Tony was just a victim in all of this.

Joe_Bush

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I feel badly for the ATX fans who are going to face unfair vitriol for this whole situation. I kinda doubt that the majority of fans who are going to be at their stadium whenever it's built will know or care about what happened with the Crew these past two years, but will still get shit from other fans in the league because of a few online shitheads or whatever

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I feel badly for the ATX fans who are going to face unfair vitriol for this whole situation. I kinda doubt that the majority of fans who are going to be at their stadium whenever it's built will know or care about what happened with the Crew these past two years, but will still get shit from other fans in the league because of a few online shitheads or whatever
What Precourt has done really hasn't helped. Sure it had a good ending for the Crew, but even if ATX fans were all amazing people they'd still get some shit based on how that team was born.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018

Edit:
This guy is the Trump of MLS owners.

Austin's gonna eat this man alive.

Joe_Bush

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I kinda doubt Miazga's going to get time at Chelsea but if he does it'd be cool to see him and Pulisic out there together in the Premier League

OP
OP
Cystm

Cystm

This reveal is like the beginnings of a medication for old men commercial.

GBS looks real anxious about being the new Galaxy head coach.

Side effects of "the MLS" include not making the postseason and resigning Gio Dos to a new 5 year deal.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like we got our new coach.

Detroit City Football Club today announced the hiring of new head coach and general manager Trevor James. ...
Following his retirement from professional soccer in 1985, James moved into the coaching ranks with stints as staff at Ipswich Town FC and Colchester United before working for Sir Bobby Robson as a freelance scout at FC Barcelona ('96-'97), Newcastle ('01-'02), FC Porto ('94-'96), Sporting Lisbon ('92) and the England national team during the buildup to the 1990 World Cup.
From 2006-2010, James was Assistant Coach for the Los Angeles Galaxy of Major League Soccer, serving under three different head coaches during his tenure (Frank Yallop, Ruud Gullit, and Bruce Arena), as well as serving as the interim head coach on two occasions. In addition to his first team duties, he was promoted to Director of Player Development where he oversaw the creation and growth of the LA Galaxy Youth Academy.

As one of the most respected and longest serving assistant coaches in MLS, James served as Assistant Head Coach for the Portland Timbers from 2010-2012. From 2014 to 2015, James was the Director of Scouting and Assistant Technical Director for the Chicago Fire before he returned to a coaching role with Indy Eleven of the North American Soccer League (NASL) for the league's final season. He was named Technical Director of Indy Eleven in 2017 and oversaw the club's transition to USL.

I expected us to land someone seemingly above our weight but am really impressed with this hire. My one reticence is that he doesn't have a non-interim HC stint on his resume, but I think he'll be able to attract some real talent to help us win this cup this fall and hopefully more as this league spins up.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Tyler Adams seems to be adjusting well to Europe. Apparently Ralf thinks he's already ready to compete for a starting spot, which is crazy to me.