• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
leaked caps 2019 home kit:

2xl0fwhb45921.png

absolute fire

OP
OP
Cystm

Cystm

If nothing else? Money. Everton and Fulham have people stateside claiming those clubs because of Timmy/LD/Preki/Robinson for Everton. McBride, Duece, Boca, EJ, and Eddie Lewis for Fulham.

MB still has a few years in him anyway.

OP
OP
Cystm

Cystm

Eric Wynalda is a garbage person, I think most people know this. I could not help but laugh at this level of prettiness.

IN OTHER MASSIVE NEWS:

Mark Geigar is retiring.

CC: Atlanta United Supporters

If you are looking for your next scapegoat, I humbly submit: Baldomero Toledo.

We all know it will be Brek Shea

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
I've never understood the Geiger hate, while I wouldn't say he's good, he's better than most MLS refs, yet he was like enemy number one for some reason.

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017

I love this, so happy this team is actually trying to win, let the kids come from the homegrown program and get funny money to sign players now.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

I love this, so happy this team is actually trying to win, let the kids come from the homegrown program and get funny money to sign players now.

I dunno, there were a couple of interesting prospects that could be decent with a bit of development at the USL level.

Joe_Bush

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I've never understood the Geiger hate, while I wouldn't say he's good, he's better than most MLS refs, yet he was like enemy number one for some reason.
Yeah I've never experienced him being any worse than Toledo or Jair Marrufo. I don't think there's ever going to be a beloved referee, but he was a pretty good referee by MLS standards

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, there were a couple of interesting prospects that could be decent with a bit of development at the USL level.

A whole lot of them aren't prospects in world soccer terms, most of them are already what they are ever going to be.

If the the league does go through with the abolishment of homegrown exclusivity areas the draft should definitely be for USL contracts only, if not killed completely.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

A whole lot of them aren't prospects in world soccer terms, most of them are already what they are ever going to be.

If the the league does go through with the abolishment of homegrown exclusivity areas the draft should definitely be for USL contracts only, if not killed completely.

I dunno, a lot of pretty good defenders have come out of college soccer. Hell, Aaron Long came out of the superdraft, didn't get starting minutes in MLS until he was like 24, and is now getting a lot of interest from all over. I'm not saying you'll always find a diamond in the rough, just that it might be worth drafting someone, sending them to USL for a year or so, and see how they do. Not everyone needs to be international caliber, finding and developing a MLS lifer can help keep the cap low and fill out a roster.

College soccer needs real reforms if it's going to be part of a real pipeline, but cutting it out completely might mean missing out on some interesting prospects.

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
I hope they don't get rid of homegrown eclusivity areas. Having genuine locals on a team creates a much stronger bond between it and the local community.

I remember how beloved Michael Lewis was when he played for the Saints.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they don't get rid of homegrown eclusivity areas. Having genuine locals on a team creates a much stronger bond between it and the local community.

I remember how beloved Michael Lewis was when he played for the Saints.

Getting rid of them would just make the pressure to lock up your locals greater. It only makes sense because you have so much more to pick from in, say, NY & NJ than Kansas City.

This is a good gesture.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Getting rid of them would just make the pressure to lock up your locals greater. It only makes sense because you have so much more to pick from in, say, NY & NJ than Kansas City.

This is a good gesture.
The issue is also that a lot of teams straight up don't take their academies seriously. You think Colorado is going to get a local kid to sign with them when they can go to Dallas or NY and get in an academy that has a visible path for them to go pro?

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
The issue is also that a lot of teams straight up don't take their academies seriously. You think Colorado is going to get a local kid to sign with them when they can go to Dallas or NY and get in an academy that has a visible path for them to go pro?
Pretty much. They better start working youth forward or face the consequences.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much. They better start working youth forward or face the consequences.
I'm not just talking Colorado, I'm talking the league as a whole. The Galaxy lives in one of the most talent rich parts of the country and they've got nothing to show for it. The Fire literally end people's careers before they get going they're so horrid. Outside of maybe 3, maybe 4, teams no one actually uses their academies. Everyone is sifting for gold, not looking to build a roster off what they find.

Joe_Bush

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I'm not just talking Colorado, I'm talking the league as a whole. The Galaxy lives in one of the most talent rich parts of the country and they've got nothing to show for it. The Fire literally end people's careers before they get going they're so horrid. Outside of maybe 3, maybe 4, teams no one actually uses their academies. Everyone is sifting for gold, not looking to build a roster off what they find.
I kinda hope that LAFC will be able to get out of their region what Galaxy doesn't in the near future, if they can develop the talent in the area, they should be able to reach a level of consistency kinda like Dallas does

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda hope that LAFC will be able to get out of their region what Galaxy doesn't in the near future, if they can develop the talent in the area, they should be able to reach a level of consistency kinda like Dallas does
There's a ton of potential in that region that has just gone ignored, running an academy is really expensive though. I would really hope one of those two teams is willing to make the investment and actually put it to good use.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Late rounds of the MLS draft today - time to pick up some lower league prospects.

In other news, David Wagner is gone from Huddersfield by mutual consent. They somehow stayed up last season, but the lack of a budget for any quality players really sunk their relegation fight this year.

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
Doyle trying to justify the existence of the later rounds of the draft on Twitter is entraining the hell out of me, always has to back the guys signing his paycheck.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Doyle trying to justify the existence of the later rounds of the draft on Twitter is entraining the hell out of me, always has to back the guys signing his paycheck.
I mean, what's the harm in taking someone in each pick and seeing what they've got in USL? Worst comes to worst and you cut them or sell them to another USL side. Not everyone's gotta play first team minutes right away. I disagree with a lot of Doyle's takes, his insane take on Adams being a RB is chief among them, but he's right that teams should be looking to internally develop as much talent as they can.

If in 3 years Cincinnati has turned even one of the players they got in the draft into a first team player, or at least a depth piece, they'll have come out ahead of the teams that didn't even try.

Joe_Bush

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
The SuperDraft seems like even more of a lottery than other leagues, it's so strange to think like how many of these guys are probably never going to see time in MLS. Also, it's astounding how many teams just don't pick anybody past round two

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, what's the harm in taking someone in each pick and seeing what they've got in USL? Worst comes to worst and you cut them or sell them to another USL side. Not everyone's gotta play first team minutes right away. I disagree with a lot of Doyle's takes, his insane take on Adams being a RB is chief among them, but he's right that teams should be looking to internally develop as much talent as they can.

If in 3 years Cincinnati has turned even one of the players they got in the draft into a first team player, or at least a depth piece, they'll have come out ahead of the teams that didn't even try.

I think most teams don't want to give up USL roster spots to 20-22 year olds when they can be giving them to academy kids at 17-18 who they already have an idea of what they can become. I can understand Cincy doing what they did because they don't have academy products yet, so they need all the lottery balls they can get.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I think most teams don't want to give up USL roster spots to 20-22 year olds when they can be giving them to academy kids at 17-18 who they already have an idea of what they can become. I can understand Cincy doing what they did because they don't have academy products yet, so they need all the lottery balls they can get.
Well, RBNY didn't skip on any picks either as far as I'm aware. But then again RB2's roster starts almost from scratch each season.

Joe_Bush

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas

I gotta be the one person who's pretty cool with the tree. If nothing else, Timbers supporters have the easiest potshot in the world when ATX comes to town.

I still... have my doubts about whether or not they're going to have significant support in Austin, though. I could believe that Austin's ready to support a team, but knowing how the final years of PSV in Columbus went with regards to maintenance of public image, I don't know how well they'll cultivate that support.