• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cystm

c8bryaI.png

| Previous Threads |

American Soccer Thread 1 | American Soccer |OT| | American Soccer |OT2| | MLS Cup 2017 Thread

| Fantasy League |

Open (Classic)
ResetERA MLS Fantasy League

| Discord |

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

| Members |

List

Last edited:

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Fine work, as always Cystm. Looking forward to another season with everyone.

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
What's the deal with that badge on the right of each logo? I notice that's on the sleeve of the kit on the top photo.

grang

Nov 13, 2017

mRCtTR1.gif

Still hurts every time it pops into mind.

Hey y'all, new to ERA (and only lurked on the other place) so looking forward to following this thread for the upcoming year. Revolution fan here--fun fact, my dad was the very first Slyde and eventually became the team operations guy, was on a first name basis with all players and coaches and traveled with the team through the Clavijo era. I had a very privileged youth in many ways because of it. Still love this team and hoping we can turn it around next season.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So uh, a Nagbe to Atlanta rumor is floating around. I don't know how I feel about it, to be honest. The dude is by all accounts a stand up guy, and is excellent at getting the ball into the final third. However, his production just isn't where it should be. If we're losing him I'm glad we're losing him to an eastern conference rival, but... Fuuuuuuuck, man. Nagbe. He's an OG Timber. :(

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
Is Atlanta not bringing back Yamil Asad? I really like watching that guy... Also they shouldn't overpay for Nagbe, dude is soft, with his lack of production he'd probably end up getting benched.

Deleted member 18502

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And the Crew almost certainly will be going to Austin, I'm so bitter. Garber and the owner are snakes. Meanwhile, the team continues to perform well.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats Toronto!

Go Sporting for 2018!

And in the World Cup, go... Mexico, I guess.

TheGrue

Oct 25, 2017
So is this thread American or North American? Is it MLS and US(M/W)NT plus all the other North American countries? This thread title is confusing me for some reason because I see it and then I see an OP with just MLS stuff.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So is this thread American or North American? Is it MLS and US(M/W)NT plus all the other North American countries? This thread title is confusing me for some reason because I see it and then I see an OP with just MLS stuff.
Primarily focused on MLS and USNTs. Canadian soccer stuff gets lumped in by default because of MLS.

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
They'll be moved to eastern next season with the arrival of LAFC
Link?

Why would they do that when one conference would have 12 and the other 11 in either case, and the next planned expansion is to Miami? Unless Sacramento is coming in before Miami. But even then Minnesota would definitely end up back west after Miami and one of Cincy/Nashville/Detroit join.

OP
OP
Cystm

Cystm

Link?

Why would they do that when one conference would have 12 and the other 11 in either case, and the next planned expansion is to Miami? Unless Sacramento is coming in before Miami. But even then Minnesota would definitely end up back west after Miami and one of Cincy/Nashville/Detroit join.

I don't have a link, and who knows who is ever actually going to fill that expansion slot? It's been Miami for ages and really also not been at the same time.

I could be wrong, xbhaskarx.

Oct 29, 2017
Hi.

Sunil Gulati will not seek reelection so new USSF president in Feb. Speaking of presidents, CONCACAF pres has stated he wants more than six teams in the final round of World Cup qualifying next cycle (not the expanded format which is cycle after).

And to prove that anything UEFA can do CONCACAF can do the CONCACAF Nation's League starts next September. This means less out of confederation friendlies for the bigger CONCACAF teams and this weird group promotion/relegation thing for Gold Cup qualifying.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONCACAF_League_of_Nations

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
This should be interesting. I'm wondering if Bradley takes Keita away from us. We left him unprotected and Bob's coached him before. It either means we know he doesn't want him or we're hoping to free up an international roster slot for someone else.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'd be surprised if we didn't lose anybody, but it might be another case of trade back fuckery like with Clint Irwin last year

Sterling M

Nov 3, 2017
PNW
Nagbe to Atlanta is some solid business and sets them up for a potential creator post-Almiron*.

*because we all know someone in Europe is snatching up Almiron between 7/1 and 8/31. Also, this.

And, uh, hi. Some of you know me from occasional GAF-age cameos. Man, I haven't posted in a Football/Soccer Thread in ages!

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta fan checking in here, nice OP! I don't know what to think of Nagbe, such a weird move imo, would be interesting to see where he's used and how he gels with the rest of the squad.

I always enjoy how lit the Toronto crowd gets, the final was fun to watch.

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
MB is almost always great in club play. Doesn't always get the recognition even here, probably because he doesn't score much, so it's harder for fans to see how effective he usually is. No idea why he doesn't perform at the same level for the USMNT.
Well let's start by comparing the two 4-4-2 diamonds, I haven't looked at the Opta stats (here they are from MLS Cup on 2/9 and T&T on 10/10) but from what I remember it sure seemed like Bradley had a lot more help in the central midfield from Delgado / Osorio than he did from Nagbe / Arriola...

Oct 25, 2017
Canadian TV ratings for MLS Cup are in:

1.3 million viewers average
2 million viewers at the peak

Not as high as last year but still amazing considering the population of Canada is only 35 million

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Well let's start by comparing the two 4-4-2 diamonds, I haven't looked at the Opta stats (here they are from MLS Cup on 2/9 and T&T on 10/10) but from what I remember it sure seemed like Bradley had a lot more help in the central midfield from Delgado / Osorio than he did from Nagbe / Arriola...
Pretty much what it comes down to. Arena gave Bradley a job that could only be done by the best #6 in the world. Now Bradley might be one of the better #6's in CONCACAF, but he wasn't good enough to do the job Arena needed him to do.

Arena outcoached Panama to an astonishing degree, it went to his head, and he didn't make the adjustments he needed to in the next game so he got outcoached in return. If he had run a 4-2-3-1 we'd probably still be going to the World Cup.

EDIT: This isn't even considering the madness it took to start Jozy for both those games when he was just coming off a small injury. All-in-all Arena flubbed that last game and probably deserves to hold that L more than anyone on the team.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cystm

Cystm

Members

| Western Conference |

Colorado Rapids
FC Dallas

Houston Dynamo

LA Galaxy
  • NobleGreenBeast

Los Angeles FC

Minnesota United FC

Portland Timbers

Real Salt Lake

San Jose Earthquakes

Seattle Sounders FC

Sporting Kansas City

Vancouver Whitecaps FC

| Eastern Conference |

Atlanta United FC

Chicago Fire

Columbus Crew SC

D.C. United

Montreal Impact

New England Revolution

New York City FC
New York Red Bulls

Orlando City
  • Meier

Philadelphia Union

Toronto FC

| Bidding MLS Expansion Clubs |

Nashville
FC Cincinnati - USL (Second Division)

| Other NA Divisions |

Detroit FC - NPSL (Fourth Division)

Give me a shout in the thread or PM me to add your name to the list if I missed you.

giphy.gif

Last edited: