• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
This is gonna suck. The US is going to get rolled without Adams.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017

Dunno if this is true. If it is though, personally i kinda like it. Way better than last years shit.

mls-2019-all-star-kit-5.jpg

Last edited:

Blue Lou

Oct 26, 2017
In the three years after the U.S. women's soccer team won the 2015 World Cup, U.S. women's games generated more total revenue than U.S. men's games, according to audited financial reports from the U.S. Soccer Federation.

The ability of the women's team to generate gate revenues that equals or exceeds the men's team is an important battleground in the U.S. women's March 8 gender-discrimination lawsuit against the federation. In the suit, all 28 members of the U.S. women's national team player pool allege U.S. Soccer has paid them less than the men's team, along with denying them equal playing, training and travel conditions and promoting their games less.

U.S. Soccer has made revenue generation a key part of its defense. In U.S. Soccer's May 6 legal response to the suit, the federation said the men's and women's teams are separate organizations with separate collective-bargaining agreements. It said that any alleged pay differential between the men's and women's teams is "based on differences in the aggregate revenue generated by the different teams and/or any other factor other than sex."

But U.S. Soccer's numbers show that while men's games used to generate millions more than women's games, in recent years the gap in revenue all but disappeared.

From 2016 to 2018, women's games generated about $50.8 million in revenue compared with $49.9 million for the men, according to U.S. soccer's audited financial statements. In 2016, the year after the World Cup, the women generated $1.9 million more than the men. Game revenues are made up mostly of ticket sales. In the last two years, at least, the men's tally includes appearance fees that opposing teams pay the U.S. for games.

"The event revenue from the USWNT demonstrates the potential that can be realized when investment is made," said Becca Roux, executive director of the U.S. women's national team's players association. "While there is still a long way to go, I applaud U.S. Soccer, their partners, and our partners for the new marketing initiatives over the past couple of years. I hope it serves as a case study and example for other federations around the world to emulate."

U.S. Soccer declined to comment.

To be sure, ticket sales are only one revenue stream that the national teams help generate. U.S. Soccer brought in nearly $49 million in marketing and sponsorship revenue in 2018, nearly half of its $101 million operating revenue, according to federation records.

Marketing and sponsorship revenue includes the sale of broadcast rights for U.S. Soccer games and sponsorships sold to Budweiser, Nike and others.

But U.S. Soccer sells broadcast rights and sponsorships as a bundle, not separately for each national team. That makes it difficult to parse the value that broadcasters or brands see in the men's team versus the women's team.

U.S. Soccer doesn't earn broadcast-rights fees from World Cups. In the U.S., those tournaments' English-language broadcast deals are between Fox Sports and FIFA.

But U.S. Soccer and Major League Soccer have a separate eight-year deal through 2022 with ESPN, Fox Sports and Univision Deportes for the right to broadcast other U.S. men's and women's soccer games along with MLS games. TV ratings for U.S. men's games tend to be higher than those for U.S. women's games, according to data collected by U.S. Soccer.

David Neal, executive producer of FIFA World Cup on Fox and VP, production, said it was difficult to parse the broadcast value of U.S. men's versus women's games.

"I don't know how you quantify that," Neal said. "But right now the shining star of U.S. Soccer is the U.S. women's national team. These women are heroes and I think that carries great value."

The U.S. women have won an unmatched four Olympic gold medals and three World Cup titles, and are in France trying to win a fourth. The U.S. men have never won a World Cup and failed to qualify for the 2018 tournament. The full U.S. men's team doesn't play in the Olympics, whose men's competitions include mostly players under 23 years old.

There are signs that the U.S. women's equal-pay fight has spurred more marketing deals with the federation.

Visa recently entered into a five-year deal with U.S. Soccer, and the company said it's earmarked at least 50% of its investment for the U.S. women's team and women's soccer programming initiatives.

As part of its sponsorship as the official women's deodorant of U.S. Soccer, Secret released an ad featuring soccer-playing girls. It ends with an image of U.S. forward Alex Morgan and the words, "Secret supports equal pay for all."

U.S. Soccer is a nonprofit organization whose charge is to govern soccer in the U.S. Its mission, stated on its tax filings, is to promote soccer and make it "the pre-eminent sport recognized for excellence in participation, spectator appeal, international competitions and gender equality."

I have a passing interest in this case but these articles are never really useful. They never seem to have detail.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Goalkeepers: Sean Johnson (New York City), Tyler Miller (Los Angeles), Zack Steffen (Columbus).

Defenders: Reggie Cannon (Dallas), Omar Gonzalez (Atlas, Mexico), Nick Lima (San Jose), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls), Daniel Lovitz (Montreal), Matt Miazga (Chelsea, England), Tim Ream (Fulham, England), Walker Zimmerman (Los Angeles).

Midfielders: Michael Bradley (Toronto), Weston McKennie (Schalke, Germany), Djordje Mihailovic (New England), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea, England), Cristian Roldan (Seattle), Wil Trapp (Columbus).

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Toronto), Paul Arriola (D.C.), Tyler Boyd (Vitoria Guimares, Portugal), Jonathan Lewis (Colorado), Jordan Morris (Seattle), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus)
I'm interested in seeing how Lima, Miazga, McKennie, Pulisic, and maybe Lewis and Boyd(?) play? Otherwise there's not a lot to be excited about there.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Recent US soccer has made me Mexico a supporter. More exciting to watch with a great coach and we need a dominate team in the region. Could care less on the rivalry.

OP
OP
Cystm

Cystm

Wil Trapp isn't worthy of that locker room. Zardes is not either.

OMFG TIM REAM IS AT LEFT BACK!? IS THIS REAL LIFE? JURGEN HAS NEVER LEFT. HE IS SHANG TSUNG LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I am excited for Guyana. Massive opportunity for them.

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Wil Trapp isn't worthy of that locker room. Zardes is not either.

OMFG TIM REAM IS AT LEFT BACK!? IS THIS REAL LIFE? JURGEN HAS NEVER LEFT. HE IS SHANG TSUNG LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I am excited for Guyana. Massive opportunity for them.
The one positive is Zimmerman being in there but I thought there's no way he'd do that since he didn't get any time in the friendlies. Truly a galaxy brain decision there. And Zardes over Jozy is some real nepotism.

b-dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Yup.

This half just wasn't good enough.

Put in Jozy. I know we can't get Adams, so there's no fixing the slow midfield, but we can absolutely fix the final third.

b-dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
In still pretty worried about the defense if I'm honest. This team will score goals, especially when they finally play Jozy over Zardes, but there isn't enough defensive pressure and I'm not sure how to fix that with the current player pool.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Defense really seemed suspect last night on the counter attacks. A team that is clinical is going to just counter this team and score at will. The attack with a few extra changes can be strong but I wonder how many teams will invite the pressure just to hit back on the counter since it seems so easy to break down this US team.

I'm also looking at the stats and they barely won the possession game and that is the system they are setting up to control the most .. How are they going to play a possession game when you barely out possess Guyana? The players did seem to switch up and play more direct so possibly they bailed on it.

OP
OP
Cystm

Cystm

The MLS ERA fantasy results are in for the Spring League.

zgOKPso.png

Signups for the Fall Fantasy League are open now! Get in there you cowards. (If you already signed up for the spring league you are automatically re-added, so you're good.)

| Fall Fantasy Leagues |

Head 2 head
https://fantasy.mlssoccer.com/#classic/leagues/8751/join/ECZLZYH3

Open (Classic)
https://fantasy.mlssoccer.com/#classic/leagues/8752/join/XHKMNHMD

Shamelessly plugging the discord too (Quote to reveal):
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cystm

Cystm

giphy.gif

This isn't in response to anything specific in this thread. I just had to share it. It's majestic and will probably come in handy during the gold cup. Next starting XI announcement I would assume.

Edit: This might work too

Too much ATL for sure, but that's usually unavoidable

Last edited:

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This year's tournament does feel a bit like 2009. :/

Quakes - LAFC tonight. Not holding out a lot of hope for that one, but we'll see.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wew this guy is a beaaaast. Also I'm so glad New Mexico advanced. I grew up there so I'm absolutely rooting for them. Got a meow wolf jersey and everything.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Tough loss for the Quakes last night against LAFC. They played really well overall, but the finishing wasn't quite there. Happy about the performance but bummed about the result. Will be an interesting few upcoming weeks with the transfer window opening, lots of players missing (Gold Cup + injuries), and every game an important one.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

That's good news, though McKennie seems to be injured a lot in general. Hope it doesn't limit his career.

Grandia

Dec 13, 2017
MLS finally back today

Cincinatti V LA Galaxy
Chicago Fire V Real Salt Lake
Dallas V Toronto
Van.Whitecaps V Colorado Rapids
Portland Timbers V Houston Dynamo

OP
OP
Cystm

Cystm

I went with Zack MacMath against my better judgment. Colorado is a dumpster fire and playing away, but MacMath has been consistently the biggest dumpster fire of a keeper in the league - and that really says something about how bad he is.

Almost Joe Nasco levels of bad.