• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
tWuxmRc.jpg

I was at the game too!

Mejtq1g.jpg

That swing from one goal to another during stoppage time was crazy

Pity had a horrific game

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Pity somehow has worse numbers than Brian White and Omir Fernandez.

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Pity somehow has worse numbers than Brian White and Omir Fernandez.
Think people are expecting something he's not. He's not a striker. And he's not Almiron either.

The assist today and missed a goal by a foot were good. Then he had a few giveaways in midfield that sprang counters that were awful. Mixed bag.

I should clarify. He needs to be way better. But he's doing some good things and he doesn't get credit for those, just the bad parts that do need to change.

Last edited:

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Thought the US punched slightly over their weight tonight and had enough chances to take it to extra time or win. There was really no firepower on the bench when changes needed to happen in the 2nd half. Still sucks to lose to Mexico. Anyway, start to get a few more of the younger guys involved and move forward.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
After watching the USWNT win, then watching the club I support clinch their division away to the most major thorn in our side over the past few years (11 games unbeaten for us, now!) I decided not to even watch the Gold Cup final because I didn't want to sour the rest of the day. Turns out it was the right decision.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Those substitutions.. straight out coached in the second half. Mexico displayed what to do to this team. Just pressure them playing out of the back and you will be fine. Hopefully this is the last we see Bradley, Altodore, Zardes, Trapp and I'm sure a few others in forgetting. Maybe the youth can handle the press better.

Whatever happened to Boyd? Did he even play the last few games.. he seemed to be the first person that should have been subbed in last night.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Berhalter seemed to really sour on Boyd for the last two games. Not sure what happened there.

xplatformer

Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Thought the US punched slightly over their weight tonight and had enough chances to take it to extra time or win. There was really no firepower on the bench when changes needed to happen in the 2nd half. Still sucks to lose to Mexico. Anyway, start to get a few more of the younger guys involved and move forward.

This is not true. Tyler Boyd should have come on. Jose should have stayed on.

And I already knew 2 years ago I was done with Michael Bradley. Yes, he can assist in attacks. Yes, he has experience...and YES...it may be tough finding a replacement for him.
Here is the thing. The USA needs to spend the next 7 years finding MIDFIELDERS that are comfortable on the ball. It's the part of the pitch where, against better teams the USA will be found wanting.

To be fair, imo England's mens side has the same problem. Creativity and comfort on the ball compared to better teams. Being able to hold possession. Being able to disposes other teams that are comfortable on the ball in their midfield.

i'm pissed off. Thank you very much Michael. You too Bercraper.

Oh...and I will ALWAYS root against Mexico when it comes to soccer. Love me some Carlos Vela...but the Mexican Men's side is my most hated team in all of sports. By a lot.

(Because they are better than us...and they shouldn't be)

Last edited:

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This is not true. Tyler Boyd should have come on. Jose should have stayed on.
I noted this above. His lack of time in the last two games is a mystery - not sure if he fell out of favor with Berhalter or was carrying an injury? Who knows...
Here is the thing. The USA needs to spend the next 7 years finding MIDFIELDERS that are comfortable on the ball. It's the part of the pitch where, against better teams the USA will be found wanting.
We have a lot of those in the pipeline, so I'm not too concerned about this long term. They're just not quite ready yet according to Berhalter, but I think they should've been used earlier since there wasn't a lot on the line in the GC aside from pride. I hope they get a lot of playtime in the upcoming months.

Birdito

Oct 30, 2017
After watching the USWNT win, then watching the club I support clinch their division away to the most major thorn in our side over the past few years (11 games unbeaten for us, now!) I decided not to even watch the Gold Cup final because I didn't want to sour the rest of the day. Turns out it was the right decision.

And something like 9 clean sheets in a row, just insane. Good luck in the playoffs!

megachao24

Oct 25, 2017
NYCFC gets to play how many more years on this joke of a pitch?
They haven't announced any new stadium yet, so until the end of days.
Plan on forever and if they ever get a non miniature pitch you can be pleasantly surprised.
I still find it hilarious that NYCFC, a team literally owned by powerhouses like the Yankees and Manchester City, managed to lose out on their Belmont bid to the fucking ISLANDERS. A team that was one of the running jokes of the NHL (until recently), once owned by a literal conman, hadn't won shit since the 80's and played in an arena filled with asbestos and a basketball arena with terrible sightlines.

It takes a special kind of fail to have something like THAT happen.

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Atlanta trying to loan out Pity. Beat writers saying this isn't true, but reputable Spanish speaking journalists stating true. Then he tweets this.

Last edited:

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I still find it hilarious that NYCFC, a team literally owned by powerhouses like the Yankees and Manchester City, managed to lose out on their Belmont bid to the fucking ISLANDERS. A team that was one of the running jokes of the NHL (until recently), once owned by a literal conman, hadn't won shit since the 80's and played in an arena filled with asbestos and a basketball arena with terrible sightlines.

It takes a special kind of fail to have something like THAT happen.
I know, I'm fucking dying at how embarrassing they are. Just pick a spot on Long Island and be done with it. It's the best they'll ever do.

Atlanta trying to loan out Pity. Beat writers saying this isn't true, but reputable Spanish speaking journalists stating true. Then he tweets this.

Can you blame them? Give anyone a choice between Pity and Omir and the numbers say you gotta pick Omir. Even the eye test says it.

Sadly, Pity has been a colossal failure.

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Can you blame them? Give anyone a choice between Pity and Omir and the numbers say you gotta pick Omir. Even the eye test says it.

Sadly, Pity has been a colossal failure.

Honestly I think it's pretty aggressive to loan him out at this point. He hasn't been great but he's started out slow wherever he went. The question is whether they think he'll improve. What I'll say is it doesn't seem like he wanted to leave River. Every other Argentinian player loves it in Atlanta. I don't think he's ever connected even though "la Banda" has included him from the beginning. They're trying to bring him along. He just seems like he wants to be at River. That's all he posts about.

This is the beat writer for the AJC who assuredly has sources at Atlanta United. Both can be true though. They can be floating this out there to try to put pressure on him to perform or be loaned out to a shitty team.

The Atlanta vs NYRB game, I was at it. Was a great time and first time at the stadium. Obviously was a crazy game that I think both sets of fans were probably upset at the officiating, but it was probably a very exciting game to watch for anyone still on Fox after the USWNT. I don't hate you Bdubs, but I think this is a fun rivalry. More of a rivalry than Orlando.

Last edited:

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think it's pretty aggressive to loan him out at this point. He hasn't been great but he's started out slow wherever he went. The question is whether they think he'll improve. What I'll say is it doesn't seem like he wanted to leave River. Every other Argentinian player loves it in Atlanta. I don't think he's ever connected even though "la Banda" has included him from the beginning. They're trying to bring him along. He just seems like he wants to be at River. That's all he posts about.
I dunno, half a season and just a goal and two assists is horrific given all the minutes he has. If they were working him in slowly I could see it, but those numbers are dreadful for a 10 that's starting almost every game.

I think they need a change in that spot if they want to compete like they did last year.

EDIT: I don't think Robertson would confirm it right now even if it was. He'd burn bridges with the team if he did. Only way he'd confirm is if they already had a placement lined up.

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I dunno, half a season and just a goal and two assists is horrific given all the minutes he has. If they were working him in slowly I could see it, but those numbers are dreadful for a 10 that's starting almost every game.

I think they need a change in that spot if they want to compete like they did last year.

EDIT: I don't think Robertson would confirm it right now even if it was. He'd burn bridges with the team if he did. Only way he'd confirm is if they already had a placement lined up.
It's 2 goals and 4 assists, but it's still definitely not what they wanted. De Boer said it's not true at all today, so it sounds like his agent may be trying to stir things up in Argentina.

Tbf, I wouldn't be shocked if someone was floating this out there to guage interest and/or to stir him up that he'd better start playing better.

River is really the only place in Argentina that's realistic. Boca wouldn't go after him because of his past at River, and nobody else can afford the salary.

"It's ridiculous, you know," De Boer said in audio provided by the team." We're just halfway through the season and he's new. I always say the first six months is the hardest for everyone who comes to a new culture. He has to adapt.

"We have a lot of confidence in his quality. There is no doubt about it. He knows that he has to do better. He wants to do better. He's working hard for it. We have a lot of trust in him, so I don't know where those rumors are coming from. But, it's not based on anything."

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NEW MEXICO IS UP 1-0 WITHIN SIX MINUTES LETS FUCKING GOOOOO

1-1 now. This is a fun match!

Last edited:

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn. New Mexico started strong but they're just making simple mistakes now that are being punished. Badly.

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

He had a really solid first game. Good work rate and good touch for the most part. You could tell he hasn't played in 6 months on some of his touches, but you expect that rust.

I'm not sure if it was his inclusion in the team or Pity just putting in tons more effort but Pity played great defense and was much more involved. Maybe Frank telling him to pick it up publicly had an effect.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Hyndman is an interesting case. He's a good passer and can create chances (plus score the occasional goal), but the knock on him has typically been his defense and physicality. Hope he can work on some of that with consistent playing time - always been an interesting player to watch and could be useful.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Hyndman is an interesting case. He's a good passer and can create chances (plus score the occasional goal), but the knock on him has typically been his defense and physicality. Hope he can work on some of that with consistent playing time - always been an interesting player to watch and could be useful.
He definitely needed reps but never went to a team where he'd get them consistently. Luckily he's only 23, so there's still time for him to grow his game.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
He definitely needed reps but never went to a team where he'd get them consistently. Luckily he's only 23, so there's still time for him to grow his game.
The main question is did he not develop those skills because he didn't get the reps, or did he not get the reps because he just didn't have the skills. Though as you note, Bournemouth were consistently in desperate situations, so it wasn't a good place for him to develop as an unpolished player.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
The main question is did he not develop those skills because he didn't get the reps, or did he not get the reps because he just didn't have the skills. Though as you note, Bournemouth were consistently in desperate situations, so it wasn't a good place for him to develop as an unpolished player.
That's the big question. He was never in a spot where we could find out though

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
That's the big question. He was never in a spot where we could find out though
Could be a good spot for him where he can get pretty regular time. We'll have to see.. Like y'all mentioned, he seemed to have skills but needs development still. I'm still curious whose role he takes away from. From what they did last night, they play him up there with Pity to try to win balls and distribute.

Last edited:

Joe_Bush

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Really wish we had the opportunity to see Orlando/Atlanta in the USOC finals but I'll take a good semis between them. The way that those two fanbases have interacted during Atlanta's three seasons (during which Orlando has been mediocre at best) makes me excited for the prospect of a really meaningful match between the two. Cool to know that for any of these four teams, the winner will be earning their first Open Cup, potentially the first piece of silverware for Orlando or Minnesota as MLS clubs

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Columbus traded Robinho to Orlando and announced this today.

And it looks like the US open semifinal between Orlando and Atlanta will be in Orlando.

Trying to find more info on this. Apparently Orlando fans assaulted someone with NYCFC staff last night and they're missing some teeth and were in the hospital. Doesn't remember it.

Last edited: