Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
An American tourist was charged and fined after bringing an unexploded World War Two shell to Vienna airport in her luggage, Austrian police said on Tuesday.
[...]
She kept the shell in her belongings as a souvenir and declared it to customs officers when she came to the airport on Monday, who immediately rang the police.
Source: https://www.thelocal.at/20180710/am...inging-unexploded-ww2-shell-to-vienna-airport

Well. I guess she at least actually wanted to declare the shell to customs?

In case you're wondering how big this thing was, here's a picture from another news article:

103.761p9uog.jpg

In case you can't make it out, that's a 30 cm ruler (roughly a foot long). Yeah.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
i wonder if its still active lmao. holy crap thats insane she got that far without killing herself or others.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
How fucking dense do you have to be to not only see an unexploded bomb and say "I'mma carry that" but to then say "I'mma carry that to an airport and show it off to security"

How does someone that stupid tie their own shoes?

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Ya, no one's ever heard of an unexploded artillery shell being jostled years later and killing someone. It just never happens, ever, at all.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how long unexploded artillery can last. I was in Austria in 2003 and there was a controlled detonation of an old WWII bomb in Salzburg, the town I was visiting.

Deleted member 9838

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Y'all hating right away but look at it all rusty and shit. It's old as hell and a lot of people might just see it as a historical souvenir and not dangerous. Also she declared it. This isn't as dumb as people are making it out to be.

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all hating right away but look at it all rusty and shit. It's old as hell and a lot of people might just see it as a historical souvenir and not dangerous. Also she declared it. This isn't as dumb as people are making it out to be.

Yes it is. Why would anyone think its a good idea to grab unexploded ordnance and bring it to a fucking airport. What the fuck.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You're really not supposed to even move those things, so she's lucky the fine is all she gets to suffer.

Deleted member 9838

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's extremely dumb. People in Europe still die from this shit
and it's an American tourist who might not know anything about this stuff. If someone showed me that and said it was an unexploded shell I wouldn't know what to think but apparently peoplr are saying in here they are dangerous. She might not have had that information.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It occurred to me just now. If this had gone off in the airport and done serious damage would the authorities have had any idea it was unintentional and the actions of a moron?

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think people are understandably bothered seeing as how she brought a bomb into an airport.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
and it's an American tourist who might not know anything about this stuff. If someone showed me that and said it was an unexploded shell I wouldn't know what to think but apparently peoplr are saying in here they are dangerous. She might not have had that information.
Unexploded means that there are still explosives inside the shell. It's a bomb. Those old unexploded shells occasionally still explode and kill people to this day.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Souvenir thieves are usually not quite this dumb. I'm impressed that she managed to make it all the way to the airport without someone noticing it or having the common sense to realize what she was doing was incredibly dangerous

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bringing a bomb into an airport because you're unaware of some basic history makes you dumb, yes. At the very least, ignorant to an extremely dangerous degree which is usually synonymous with "dumb".

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Actually you're right. It's not a gun so she probably thought it was ok.

Silly me.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
That it's old and rusty actually makes it a lot more dangerous than a shiny new one.

Which would you rather a tourist carries onto a plane, a bomb or an unstable bomb?

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which is dumb. It's a massive round of ammunition. What do you think is inside it? Candy?

IDK, are there not non-explosive large rounds? Maybe she thought it was solid metal

TBF, I think it's worse that she dug it up in the first place. If she thought it wasn't dangerous, then she should have reported it as a historic artifact

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The woman picked up and unexploded bomb and carried it into an airport.

If that isn't dumb then I idk what is.

Kasai

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Unexploded military ordinance was one of my major fears when I was traveling in Europe.

There's a lot of stuff still hidden, because it's not like anyone marked the locations of this stuff.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Even if she's dumb enough not to consider the possibility of it being dangerous, she should also think that it might not be okay to remove a historical artifact (that's what she thinks it is) without at least some kind of due process.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
You've never heard about people still dying or getting maimed from old landmines?

Drain You

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
That is quite honestly scary. Crazy some people don't just put the basic thought into "Wonder what's inside this thing?"

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
Basically all bombs dropped from planes that haven't detonated are armed (i.e from impact or whatever arming mechanism), this means they can still detonate.

For example, clock-based mechanisms may have for some reason stopped working after being armed, but moving the bomb could cause it to start ticking again.

Last edited:

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if Austria even allows transport of explosives. Many countries do but you have to transport on special planes. You can't put that on a passenger craft.

Azerach

Oct 29, 2017
I was expecting it to be a deactivated shell... Holy fuck what the shitting dicknipples are you thinking!! Those things can go off at the slightest touch.