• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For our international readers, its probably worth noting that the US is currently experiencing a golden age of craft brewing, where you can generally find a solid micro brewery within 30 minutes of wherever you are in the continental US and just get something fresh instead of mass produced lagers/pilsners that make up this list.

So while this list is naturally going to skew towards larger brands with a national distribution presence, if you went down to a state and local level you'd probably see a much higher preference for regional players that aren't going to have as much of a presence on the other side of the country – though there are exceptions, like Dogfish Head or Goose Island.

What I mean to say is that despite this list being fairly boring, there has never been a better time or place to be alive if you even remotely like beer.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
I honestly can't remember the last time I had a Heineken, or really any beer on that list other than Blue Moon and Sam Adams (SA seasonals are good, regular beers are kinda meh)

Ever since the advent of craft microbreweries (which triggered the onset of my own beer snobbery), I've never had much reason to drink most of the beers on that list. IPAs, Belgian Trappist beers, and Sours (Flemish esp) are my jam.

If I want a cheap lake/river trip beer, I'll usually roll with Dos Equis which I find to be far better than Corona which is awful.

Last edited:

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
I'll always tell this story. I love good beers, but i can drink whatever if I'm out and about or looking to pound.

Had this cunt I was working with and in NY with. He never went to a baseball game, so went to Shea Stadium to see a Mets game. Long story short, he asked for a beer so I come back with 4 Buds. He asked what it was, and I told him Bud. He said no thanks and refused to pay or drink it.

It was the ultimate Hank Hill moment for me. I never talked to him again unless it was work related.

What a scum bag. I am super in to craft beer, brew my own beer, read all about beer and the brewing industry, etc but the last thing on earth I would want to drink at a baseball game would be a double IPA or milkshake IPA. Give me that light domestic beer to crush with food all day. I have found really hoppy beers, despite being one of my favorites, absolutely destroy my palate. If I am about to eat a meal I want to enjoy, I almost never order IPA's anymore. I'll get those beers when it is the beer that is the focus.

Robert81

Nov 2, 2017
Fuck yeah Heineken my favourite beer by far. I tried almost all of those beers on that list. Heineken costs so much here in Ontario 47$ for 24 bottles but it's worth it.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
That sounds like some "locals only" price fixing to force people to drink microbrews brewed from the most local hops procured by dung beetles.
Nah, cause Bud and Miller and the like are still super-cheap. Rolling Rock is like $10 for an 18-pack or whatever (but it's Rolling Rock, so why bother). It's just imports like Corona, or Heineken and Guinness for that matter.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YouGov-beer-map-of-Britain.jpg

Scotland torn between Special and Super.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Legit surprised to see Guinness so high up there. Neat.

What are some other good guinness-like beers? I've had Kilkenny and that was decent.. can't really remember what else.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
lol I can't believe that list is real

I live in Denver where there are literally hundreds of micro breweries with some amazing beers. Blows my mind how many of my fellow Americans enjoy drinking piss flavored water

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get such lists when sales volume gives us a more accurate picture.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
If I'm at a concert, festival, or even the county fair, I'm not drinking a microbrew, stout, or anything with high alcohol content. I'm spending my day drinking something smooth tasting and less filling for the next twelve hours that can also slowly get me fucked up.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I drink all of those and freely admit they're all garbage but my palate will never "evolve" to the point that IPAs start tasting good

Same here.

I think the reason they're rated so high is because of how much they're advertised and popular.

Whenever I see someone order Corona when the selection is massive I think they're amateurs.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
Lots of trash beer on that list, but to be expected.

I drink all of those and freely admit they're all garbage but my palate will never "evolve" to the point that IPAs start tasting good

Don't worry. 90% of IPAs are garbage tier since they became the big thing and everyone started pumping them out to make money.

Jul 18, 2018
lol I can't believe that list is real

I live in Denver where there are literally hundreds of micro breweries with some amazing beers. Blows my mind how many of my fellow Americans enjoy drinking piss flavored water
It's based on the YouGov popularity polls they sent out to people. The people that responded are probably via ads and social media. Which is based on brand popularity, which asks questions if the brand is positive or not. It doesn't really show what Beer's Americans enjoy drinking or their top ranked Beer companies. It's literally a popularity brand survey...... which doesn't really mean shit in terms people enjoy drinking or favorites.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
A 6 of Corona cost about $1-$2 cheaper than something much much better. It's not about cost, it's about trying new beers and not sticking to one (extremely mediocre) brand. Hell sometimes you can find something much better for even cheaper. Lonestar, Bud etc are pretty cheap but Heineken/Corona are priced comparable to good beers. They just price them higher because they are "imports".
Sometimes that $1~$2 counts, and you want something dependable. There's lots of things to look down on people for, but enjoying cheap, mass-produced beer isn't one of them. I'll roast someone about drinking Coors Light, but at the end of it all that's their choice.

It's like coffee. Sure, there's plenty of good indie coffee shops, but if I want one quick and cheap I'll just hit up Timmie's.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
It's based on the YouGov popularity polls they sent out to people. The people that responded are probably via ads and social media. Which is based on brand popularity, which asks questions if the brand is positive or not. It doesn't really show what Beer's Americans enjoy drinking or their top ranked Beer companies. It's literally a popularity brand survey...... which doesn't really mean shit in terms people enjoy drinking or favorites.
And the top 2 are "fancy import beers" according to their heavily played commercials. I wouldn't be shocked if more than half the people marking them favorable have never had a sip. But the commercials are on their minds and they like the vibe they give off.

Not that the most purchased/drank beer list is going to be great either. Just the nature of beer; there is a massive variety of high quality low-production number beers in the US and it is impossible for them to make a national popularity list.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Lmao we pretending Sam adams nasty now? Jesus christ the beer snobbery.
This. I mean, Boston Brewery is a big brewery nowadays, but they still make quality stuff. Their seasonal beers are the best.
By comparison, here is the 2018 Best Craft Beer in America results based on votes from Zymurgy and Homebrewer's association people. Bell's Two Hearted Ale is also the best selling of craft beers domestically as of last year.
uh9Xcu6.png
Harpoon was robbed.

vermadas

Oct 25, 2017
Quite spoiled living in Michigan. Have been into craft beer for several years but over the last year or so it's gotten a bit crazy. Wasn't too long ago I would think waiting hours in line for brewery only releases was ridiculous, but here we are... Love a good barrel aged stout.
This is my current favorite, though it's actually a porter:
6jQiYAC.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I have a hard time believing that this isn't just the list of the most popular common denominators (ie mainstream, non craft beer). There are so many better options out there.

Craft beer in general must be more popular than these, right? Craft beer is just regional, so individual brands won't get a significant percentage of votes.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HAHAAHAHAAHAAHAHAAHA both are trash, let's be serious about this.

brownbuffalo1.jpg

This on the other hand, is a gift sent from heaven.
Their DIPA is great from what I remember. I haven't had any of their beer in a few years.

Their new place is gonna be built about 3 minutes from my house. They make some good stuff. You in Houston?
I spoke to the owners late last year about their new place. Told them I'd help run their new production line if they needed people.

Every time I'm nearby, I end up going to Baileson Brewing instead. We should do a Houston meetup at a brewery one of these days.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I wish craft beer was disgusting.
sadly it's not.
Also, it's full of calories.
Also, I have low self control.