• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Sora won't be the last amiibo, but depending on the length of time it'll take to get the next Smash game out, he may be the last Smash amiibo

You mean in terms of more Amiibo for Switch 1 games and the Switch Successor won't have a NFC chip? Or just that Amiibo sales will get so low without Smash they can't justify keeping the Amiibo teams around if it takes too long.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You mean in terms of more Amiibo for Switch 1 games and the Switch Successor won't have a NFC chip? Or just that Amiibo sales will get so low without Smash they can't justify keeping the Amiibo teams around if it takes too long.

I think the general lack of interesting applications for amiibo in Switch games indicates amiibo functionality getting phased out of game development
So I could see Switch 2 keeping NFC functionality to keep up backwards compatibility with the first Switch, but Switch 2 games will stop including amiibo functionality as a feature
Then that leaves Nintendo in a space where amiibo are still selling, and maybe a few more games get amiibo, but Nintendo can fully phase them out

The next Smash game could likely be a few years away, and by then amiibo may be phased out altogether as part of Switch 2 development

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I think the general lack of interesting applications for amiibo in Switch games indicates amiibo functionality getting phased out of game development
So I could see Switch 2 keeping NFC functionality to keep up backwards compatibility with the first Switch, but Switch 2 games will stop including amiibo functionality as a feature
Then that leaves Nintendo in a space where amiibo are still selling, and maybe a few more games get amiibo, but Nintendo can fully phase them out

The next Smash game could likely be a few years away, and by then amiibo may be phased out altogether as part of Switch 2 development

You bring pain to my soul considering that means we can't get Smash Merch if the Amiibo production goes away.

That also means certain future newcomers who never received merch (and might not ever without Smash) can't get figurines also.

Unless Nintendo figures out an alternate way to get merch out.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Got my Sora amiibo, albeit with no packaging inside the box to protect the 3 that I ordered. Thankfully, all are in decent condition.

I just counted & Sora marks #125 in my collection, holy crap.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Officially got my Sora amiibo - I now have every single Smash Bros amiibo along with every Zelda amiibo (BOTW, TOTK, 30th, Link's Awakening, etc).

I think I can say (for now) I am done collecting!

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I got mine today as well.

The Smash Amiibo Hunt is over.

... Until Smash 6.

... Providing the Switch Successor has an NFC chip.

pete_clarf

Oct 25, 2017
Best Buy cancelled and refunded my order. Ugh. This is the third thing in a row I've bought from them that either had a major delay (PlayStation Portal) or straight up cancelled (elite earbuds and Sora). Think I'm done with BB. Now hoping someone else stocks it in the next few days. I've been ignoring alerts because I thought BB would come through.

I have every single North American amiibo and have paid retail for all but two… might just say f it and make this #3.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
You bring pain to my soul considering that means we can't get Smash Merch if the Amiibo production goes away.

That also means certain future newcomers who never received merch (and might not ever without Smash) can't get figurines also.

Unless Nintendo figures out an alternate way to get merch out.

Officially, there's nothing "really" stopping Nintendo from producing more Smash stuff (or rather, more Nintendo merch) through their partners. Jazwares has a pretty decent line of figures they've done previously in the "World of Nintendo" line and recently these special "non Mario" game series figures (thus far, BotW Link & Zelda, Samus, the Olimar and Pikmin set and Donkey Kong/Diddy Kong)

The amiibo "figures" could also be produced just by Nintendo, simply lacking a chip in them. I know a lot of people figured that Skylanders might do that one day, and Disney Infinity actually DID do that with their "Toy Box" series of action figures that resembled the Infinity style. Ideally if they cared, they'd just make new figures of the other future Smash characters.

Honestly I'm surprised they haven't made like updated sculpts of some characters like Link/Zelda that matched their Ultimate appearances. Or done something else like, make amiibo cards of ALL of the Smash characters, and alt versions as chase/rare cards. I could imagine them making a killing on that.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Officially, there's nothing "really" stopping Nintendo from producing more Smash stuff (or rather, more Nintendo merch) through their partners. Jazwares has a pretty decent line of figures they've done previously in the "World of Nintendo" line and recently these special "non Mario" game series figures (thus far, BotW Link & Zelda, Samus, the Olimar and Pikmin set and Donkey Kong/Diddy Kong)

The amiibo "figures" could also be produced just by Nintendo, simply lacking a chip in them. I know a lot of people figured that Skylanders might do that one day, and Disney Infinity actually DID do that with their "Toy Box" series of action figures that resembled the Infinity style. Ideally if they cared, they'd just make new figures of the other future Smash characters.

Honestly I'm surprised they haven't made like updated sculpts of some characters like Link/Zelda that matched their Ultimate appearances. Or done something else like, make amiibo cards of ALL of the Smash characters, and alt versions as chase/rare cards. I could imagine them making a killing on that.

Didn't Sakurai say they legally can't release Smash merch unless it's tied to gameplay for legal reasons? And that's why they couldn't sell Smash posters for example?

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't Sakurai say they legally can't release Smash merch unless it's tied to gameplay for legal reasons? And that's why they couldn't sell Smash posters for example?

Sounds like a licensing nightmare. Let's be glad they somehow managed to release the entire line as Amiibo :x I'm still happy here that they pulled off Sora!

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, it's why I bought the box with the GC controller and USB adaptor even though I didn't need them. Because you get that amazing art.

And ended up needing the usb adaptor because god knows where my original went! Or my Dolphin Bar for that matter.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I did have to go look this up because it was interesting to hear:

View: https://youtu.be/DeLrIXCOUw0?si=y3JQmKBscoSb3q64&t=330

"For Smash Bros, releasing merchandise of any kind is generally prohibited. The only things permitted are free giveaways or limited edition items. amiibo figures are essentially the only exception to that rule, making these physical Smash Bros. products something of a big deal"
He doesn't elaborate on this at all but I guess its not super surprising, since there's probably a lot of third party property rights tied up....however I really wonder about the Nintendo owned Smash characters. Like the Smash posters were just Nintendo owned characters.

smash.png

I guess its probably some kind of weird Nintendo being Nintendo situation though. However! I'm sure you *could* theoretically have some kind of third party company make a psudo Smash related merch
Jazwares released a Pokemon figure set that suspiciously contains all of the Pokemon fighters.

s-l1200.webp

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
He doesn't elaborate on this at all but I guess its not super surprising, since there's probably a lot of third party property rights tied up....however I really wonder about the Nintendo owned Smash characters. Like the Smash posters were just Nintendo owned characters.

smash.png

Sonic is actually on the Duck Hunt poster, oddly enough. But I suspect these fall under the "free giveaways" section, and the lack of third parties was mostly just out of preference.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
So I just got the Guardian amiibo today from the recent restock. He's awesome...with one problem. They appear to have removed the articulation on his arms, theyre just standard flexible rubber now.