• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I thought it was just one of those custom ones until I saw the size. Give me a link to buy it!

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Recently managed to find a Smash Mario amiibo (well bundle, but I sold the game again) and a Jigglypuff amiibo (for €5).
Now all that is left are Smash Yoshi and Robin and both Cloud and both Corrin amiibo and I'm done...
I'll finally be done with the Smash line-up... I'm so close to the entire collection!

Last edited:

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
DTWJjMwV4AAGV2e.png

DTWINBvUQAA73qd.jpg

DTWJjLSU0AAjWo7.jpg

Japan exclusive (for now?) - looks nice! It'll be worth the import, although I'll probably just leave it nib while holding out hope that NA will get a release later on that I can open.

Wonder if it will scan as Pikachu in Mario Maker.

Wait....technically this is the first amiibo in the "Pokemon" series!

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Nice functionality, although I'm kind of surprised that being able to watch previous cut-scenes for a game like this isn't something that's accessible off the top.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's the one-and-only Amiibo from the Detective Pikachu series.

Well, the box says that. But each series of amiibo have their distinct series tag.

Super Mario Odyssey amiibo (except the cereal) are just Super Mario amiibo

BoTW and Twilight Princess amiibo AND the 30th Anniversary amiibo? Zelda.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Well, the box says that. But each series of amiibo have their distinct series tag.

Super Mario Odyssey amiibo (except the cereal) are just Super Mario amiibo

BoTW and Twilight Princess amiibo AND the 30th Anniversary amiibo? Zelda.

This one has a map... I'd say that's more a detective thing than Pokemon.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Uh... why is it so big? Is Detective Pikachu in the game bigger than a normal Pikachu?

I would help if they would actually localize the game since they're making an American movie about it...

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
So wait, in the US version does it Not give hints and stuff, but only unlocks cutscenes? It does the hints in the other versions from my understanding, right?

It'd be weird if there were different functionalities I think.

I really like the idea of a large amiibo line, but I'm curious as to what AmiiboERA thinks; bigger is better too or should they all be the same sort of size as the normal amiibo. Presumably this would be more expensive, but in turn they could have a more premium range of amiibo that are larger and have more details.

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So wait, in the US version does it Not give hints and stuff, but only unlocks cutscenes? It does the hints in the other versions from my understanding, right?

It'd be weird if there were different functionalities I think.
Oh yeah, I just checked the NA Pokémon website, and they say that the amiibo can "unlock short videos that may contain helpful hints for your investigation." If you combine NoA's tweet and Pokémon's statement, then it sounds like cutscenes give you clues, and you can re-watch them with the amiibo to study for clues? or maybe you can re-watch the cutscenes with clues being highlighted? or maybe wires got crossed and one of them wrote the wrong thing.. or maybe they are both write, and this amiibo has tons of functionality?!

I like prefer the regular sized amiibos, but I'm open to having a few larger ones. I'd rather there not be a full line of them, though - just the odd one per year or so is enough.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017

....I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist when I saw the Detective Pikachu amiibo....

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Pre-ordered Pikachu... totaled to $45 Canadian...
tWZ3APL.gif

Still excited about it, though. It's a very adorable Pikachu. (and it will never be leaving the box)

Supersnazzi

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I thought it was a bit more. They were hand-made, so that's fair. A slightly-larger Pikachu though? Nah, even the MonHuns were worth their price.

I'll still get it (not Walmart, anywhere else up yet?) but doesn't seem like a good pricepoint.
No, other retailers have put it up yet. I'm personally waiting for best buy so I can use my discount. I'm a sucker for Pikachu so I'll be picking this up for sure. I'm also a sucker for Yoshi, and I sure didn't regret getting the Mega Yarn Yoshi.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes, $30? That's a bit too much for a slightly bigger Pikachu with BRAND NEW HAT, even after taking $6 off via Best Buy GCU. At least Mega Yarn Yoshi was indeed a Mega size & was knitted, making sense why it cost more.

OP
OP

Diggeh

Oct 25, 2017
I finally found the Super Mario Cereal and promptly used an extra broken Mario figure and the papercraft template by GandaKris to make the Delicious amiibo his own...well, delicious amiibo!

img_20180108_215346bkk66.jpg

img_20180108_21541695kob.jpg

img_20180108_215745vxk2s.jpg

img_20180108_2202017yktw.jpg

Don't worry about my Switch, any marks you see were just temporary, not scratches. :P

In other news, I got my Snack World DataFigs from Amazon JP! They're really nicely made. The technology is called LEVEL5 Touch, which uses a fancy doodad to scan the NFC chip via Bluetooth. Very interesting stuff! I'm curious if Level-5 is going to continue making DataFigs with TOMY for future games, especially with Yo-Kai Watch.

img_20180115_164014ark6r.jpg

img_20180115_164029p0j7s.jpg

img_20180115_164544jmj11.jpg

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Wait, so the Snackworld figs require a separate peripheral?

And as for the Mario cereal, I said this before, but it's not so good. My kids won't even eat it.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
the bigger mystery is

will nintendo labo support amiibo

can i unlock new skins for my cardboard...i mean, giant robot

No but seriously, being able to unlock stuff for the giant robot game via amiibo would be awesome.

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Cardboard Amiibo

Amiibo made from cardboard OR an Amiibo that is the new Nintendo character - a piece of cardboard.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I noticed on the first look video (it's right around the 1:40 mark), the kid sticks a "1" nob into the piano unlocking a Cat button (and presumably, the piano makes cat noises).

I'm not sure how big the hole is/if the Joy Cons could read an amiibo from there, but that could be a neat little amiibo pair up; use amiibo to unlock themed sounds..sort of like Mario Paint.

Its difficult to tell how the Joy Con reads certain things and the exact mechanics of Labo, but i'd be shocked if *something* doesn't have amiibo support of some type.

OP
OP

Diggeh

Oct 25, 2017
I was checking Amazon JP today and saw that there's already a new wave of Snack World DataFigs! They don't ship to Amazon US yet so I might end up getting them on HLJ this time around. Very cool!

swi8jkj.png

Since the datafigs are in here do the sony amiibo also belong in here?

Feel free to make your own Nintendo-Related NFC Figure OT for a subsection of a niche that doesn't detract from the thread. You can also make one for Small Figures With No NFC Functionality That Look Like Amiibo if you feel the Totaku Collection and other similar figures deserve a home as well.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
It's basically knock off Lucky Charms, not that great.

Though I don't know if that's better or worse compared to their previous cereal.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
In other news, I got my Snack World DataFigs from Amazon JP! They're really nicely made. The technology is called LEVEL5 Touch, which uses a fancy doodad to scan the NFC chip via Bluetooth. Very interesting stuff! I'm curious if Level-5 is going to continue making DataFigs with TOMY for future games, especially with Yo-Kai Watch.

Sorry to go off topic a bit but have you played snack world? If so how was it and for what platform? I've been tempted to import the 3ds game. I generally enjoyed my time with yo-kai busters.

OP
OP

Diggeh

Oct 25, 2017
The cereal's not that bad, it's kinda just there. Now, if it were chocolate cereal, that'd be even better!

Sorry to go off topic a bit but have you played snack world? If so how was it and for what platform? I've been tempted to import the 3ds game. I generally enjoyed my time with yo-kai busters.
Nope, it's only in Japan right now, and there's a Switch version that'll be coming out there this year. That will probably be the one LEVEL-5 brings over.