• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So last year I decided I would buy the Callie and Marie amiibo from a third party on Amazon for around $25-30. I put them in my cart, had some second thoughts, and left them there for a while. This week I decided I'd finally pull the trigger on them.

...their price has apparently skyrocketed since the announcement of the Pearl and Marina amiibo and they're now anywhere from $70-90 depending on the seller, on both Amazon and eBay. Jesus. This is what I get for waiting. Is it possible those prices will go down when Splatoon fever goes away?

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
So last year I decided I would buy the Callie and Marie amiibo from a third party on Amazon for around $25-30. I put them in my cart, had some second thoughts, and left them there for a while. This week I decided I'd finally pull the trigger on them.

...their price has apparently skyrocketed since the announcement of the Pearl and Marina amiibo and they're now anywhere from $70-90 depending on the seller, on both Amazon and eBay. Jesus. This is what I get for waiting. Is it possible those prices will go down when Splatoon fever goes away?

Well honestly, I can't see them going down anytime soon. It's disgusting to see this kind of thing.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well honestly, I can't see them going down anytime soon. It's disgusting to see this kind of thing.

One thing that makes it slightly easier to swallow is that technically Callie and Marie are two amiibo, so I'm really "only" paying $35-45 per figure. Still, I should have jumped on them last year (or earlier this year) when I had the chance. Lesson learned.

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Amazon once had the new Samus for 12 bucks, when it was temporarily sold out, but I was still salty from paying that much for Ryu. It's never come even close to that again. ;(

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome! This will give the chance to finish off my Smash Bros collection with the few I missed. And here I was about to give in to some higher priced import ones off of Amazon.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope this means all the previously exclusive characters will be available at all stores now.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I'll finally be able to get a chance at Toon Link. It's the only LoZ amiibo that I am missing.

shoyz

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
SCALPERS must feel pretty damn fucked about this fact. Wario here I come.

Never understand this sentiment myself, there are tactical announcements that can undermine scalpers (like announcing a restock right after something sells out, when scalpers are sitting on a stash), but belated reprints are way after scalpers already sold them off. All they do is hurt collectors at that point who paid scalper prices, in that sense.
I'll be gutted if they reprint gold megaman. I remember the bundle itself with him and the game not only stayed in stock for months but was even clearanced down to the low $20s, made me regret buying it day 1, he only became rare way later. I was shocked when they reprinted Gold Mario considering that it's almost literally just a gold spraypaint of an existing figure as a rare collector's item, defeats the purpose if they reprint it I thought.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Never understand this sentiment myself, there are tactical announcements that can undermine scalpers (like announcing a restock right after something sells out, when scalpers are sitting on a stash), but belated reprints are way after scalpers already sold them off. All they do is hurt collectors at that point who paid scalper prices, in that sense.
I'll be gutted if they reprint gold megaman. I remember the bundle itself with him and the game not only stayed in stock for months but was even clearanced down to the low $20s, made me regret buying it day 1, he only became rare way later. I was shocked when they reprinted Gold Mario considering that it's almost literally just a gold spraypaint of an existing figure as a rare collector's item, defeats the purpose if they reprint it I thought.

When it comes to some Nintendo collectables, if you don't preorder or aren't there the first week of launch, you either pay scalper prices or wait it out. I myself can be disciplined in waiting YEARS, if I have to, for certain restocks. I have never paid scalpers for Amiibo, on principle, and never will. I refuse to reward those predators for price gouging. If that means I don't get what I want ultimately, then so be it. I know not everyone has that kind of mindset, but all the same buy what you will, but keep in mind the possibilities of getting it elsewhere down the line for a different price. That's what collecting Amiibo has taught me.

I've come to terms with never paying a reasonable price for Gold Mega man. Therefore, I'm not paying a scalper for one. If there ever was a reprint, then I'd hop on that, otherwise I'll pass. I can spend my money on more worthwhile endeavors.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Scalpers are probably going to fuck this up the way they did with the LEGO Portal pack for Dimensions. First wave was kinda supply constrained and they ended up buying up all the stock and started charging obscene prices. They did a massive reprint in response to the "demand", which they tried to buy up again, but it was too big of a wave. The scalpers ended up desperately trying to sell off their stock, which caused the resale prices to rapidly plummet, and since there wasn't ever *that* huge of a demand to begin with beyond the initial supply, the retail stock collapsed in price too.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Not really sure what you mean. If anything, doesn't this just alert every potential scalper to get ready for round 2?? I don't think many people are still holding onto stock, hoping to eek out even more money than they could have a year or two ago.

You have a point but I'm optimistic at present.

Amiibo aren't anywhere near as popular as they use to be. Anyone still collecting sets are those that have interest in new lines, or still hunting for figures from old lines, so basically hardcore collectors. I can't imagine that group being huge at this point. A line wide reprint potentially means better stock levels than years prior, and Nintendo's been getting better at that type of thing as of late, at least when it comes to Switch. If stock levels are going to be in abundance, then scalpers buying up as much stock as they can potentially won't do them much good, as figures will be in abundance.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate will clearly be a high profile game on Switch, which could potentially bring in a new crowd of casuals not familiar with the series. I don't know what functionality, or additional functionality, the line will have this time around but I think Nintendo is going to want stock levels to be reasonably big to meet potential demand from the casual crowd. The opposite is true too. Breath of The Wild was a high profile release but some of its Amiibo line is harder to track down for a reasonable price, let alone MSRP, than others in the same line.

Again, I'm just being optimistic. This reprint could be a shit show for stock levels, which Nintendo is infamous for.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
You have a point but I'm optimistic at present.

Amiibo aren't anywhere near as popular as they use to be. Anyone still collecting sets are those that have interest in new lines, or still hunting for figures from old lines, so basically hardcore collectors. I can't imagine that group being huge at this point. A line wide reprint potentially means better stock levels than years prior, and Nintendo's been getting better at that type of thing as of late, at least when it comes to Switch. If stock levels are going to be in abundance, then scalpers buying up as much stock as they can potentially won't do them much good, as figures will be in abundance.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate will clearly be a high profile game on Switch, which could potentially bring in a new crowd of casuals not familiar with the series. I don't know what functionality, or additional functionality, the line will have this time around but I think Nintendo is going to want stock levels to be reasonably big to meet potential demand from the casual crowd. The opposite is true too. Breath of The Wild was a high profile release but some of its Amiibo line is harder to track down for a reasonable price, let alone MSRP, than others in the same line.

Again, I'm just being optimistic. This reprint could be a shit show for stock levels, which Nintendo is infamous for.
You say that, but I'm wondering where the hell these things are going to be sold. Every major electronics' department I've walked into for the past year is just packed with dozens upon dozens of discounted Animal Crossing Amiibo that nobody wants. I can't see most stores getting on-board with selling a new wave or waves of Amiibo in the numbers that the Smash line has.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
You say that, but I'm wondering where the hell these things are going to be sold. Every major electronics' department I've walked into for the past year is just packed with dozens upon dozens of discounted Animal Crossing Amiibo that nobody wants. I can't see most stores getting on-board with selling a new wave or waves of Amiibo in the numbers that the Smash line has.

Very concerning indeed. I'm sure there was news about Nintendo, on the Japanese side, having plans to sell line wide reprints in the official web store. That's might be the case here in the west too. It would certainly make sense too. They could manufacture according to the demand they're seeing from the web store. The data to make such decisions would certainly be more readily available to the people in charge. The way I see it, there will be order pages for each Amiibo, with a given quantity limit if necessary. That way they'll know what specific Amiibo they should be making more of. I'm not well versed in the logistics of these things, so maybe the problem would have a more thought out solution. We'll see how they come at this though.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I'm extremely interested to see what they're going to be doing with amiibo stock here.

Target has pretty much entirely removed their amiibo section. Skylanders at least in some of them are clinging on, but that section has nearly been entirely eradicated in favor of video game collectible stuff. Now, Star Link also will have NFC figures and I suppose transforming that section/one of those back Pop Culture sections into one where amiibo can be seems possible, but there's doesn't really seem to be a lot of *room* for amiibo to come back. Walmart is in a similar position, and some of my Best Buys have moved their amiibo/Skylanders section away from the video games entirely.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly assume that barely any stores will stock the new amiibo reprint, and the way to go is online orders. Either through Nintendo themselves or other sellers. I can't think of a single store that still has some amiibo stocked outside of either the Animal Corssing or Goomba/Koopa. Nintendo absolutely overstocked this garbage (AC & later SMB line) and stores just don't care anymore seemingly.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
My Walmart pretty much only ever had the most dirt common amiibo.

I can't help but feel Nintendo fucked this whole thing up by having so many figures totally unavailable to the general shopping public.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
the only store in my area that got enough stock of new amiibo to last more than a week was TRU so rip

exceptions being AC amiibo and best buy drowning in the same 2-3 for half a year

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The AC amiibo line situation still makes me laugh. I don't understand why they made so many of them. Did Nintendo expect Amiibo Festival to be a Wii Sports-caliber mainstream phenomenon or something? Like, I just don't get it.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
The AC amiibo line situation still makes me laugh. I don't understand why they made so many of them. Did Nintendo expect Amiibo Festival to be a Wii Sports-caliber mainstream phenomenon or something? Like, I just don't get it.

On the bright side, they are really cute and well-made :x (....I paid full price for all of them tho....)

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

Was it on Nintendo or the store or both? It was a really weird decision. Are the shelfwarming series (Mario Party, Animal Crossing) ordered in similar numbers as the Smash ones were and just didn't move as many units? Or did they just produce a lot more of them for some reason? I never even saw the later waves of smash figures.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I have to assume this is exactly what they thought. Or maybe it was oversaturation with the cards; It seems to me for a series like this (and probably for Pokemon where there are 800+ characters) that a card series is the way to go.

I like physical figures but I laughed at a reddit thread yesterday about making the original 151 Pokemon into amiibo and then got unsettled thinking about if I'd buy them all.

Amiibo Festival crashed so hard that they had to retroactively put amiibo functionality into the last AC game, so hopefully if the new one has similar features/the ability to bring whoever we want in again we can see these AC amiibo finally get cleaned out.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
I'm really hoping for a Splatwon series reprint (or recolor like Splatoone) but I'm not getting my expectations up

Arc07

Oct 27, 2017
Welp.
giphy.gif

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
RIDLEY'S SO BIG HE'S CAUSED THE PRICE TO GO UP

Also Dec. 7th. HMMMMMMMMMMM, COULD THAT BE THE SAME DAY AS SMASH ULTIMATE?!?!

Credo

Oct 25, 2017
Since Wolf didn't go up with Ridley and Ink Girl on Best Buy, is he going to be a Gamestop exclusive? Please say no. ;(