• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Does the visual fidelity of this look like a step backwards from SOMA to anyone else?

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Dark Descent remains the scariest game I've ever played. I wonder if this will get a PS5 upgrade.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Not gonna lie, the trailer itself really did nothing for me, and the visuals are notably bad. But I have faith in Frictional Games, so i'm in 100%.

Capricorn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wait... This isn't a remaster of The Dark Descent? Wow! I thought that was the case given the name, I didn't even bother clicking any threads about it after it was announced... Oof.

I trust Frictional to deliver yet another amazing horror game, and it's relasing right before Halloween too! Can't wait to try it out.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Hot take: Sony should replace Supermassive with Frictional as their main 3nd party horror partner. Because damn, Frictional deserves a much higher budget. Amnesia was a game changer in Horror, when the genre had gone to shit in the AAA realm, somebody give them their much deserved coin! XD

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Wait... This isn't a remaster of The Dark Descent? Wow! I thought that was the case given the name, I didn't even bother clicking any threads about it after it was announced... Oof.

I trust Frictional to deliver yet another amazing horror game, and it's relasing right before Halloween too! Can't wait to try it out.
I thought the exact same thing until I randomly decided to check the trailer out and was horribly confused, hahah.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Sweet! I'd just assumed this was getting delayed to 2021 like most everything else. Should make for a good Halloween game.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Also, shame that Frictional probably did not have the resources to pivot the release to launch alongside the PS5 (a PS5 version might have drained resources/taken too long for such a small team). I think it could do great numbers in that launch slot.

Syf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Frictional has earned instant buy status with me. Pre-ordered. Strangely poor graphics in this trailer vs the screenshots though

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
As some have said already, Frictional Games has instant-buy status in my household. Can't wait for this.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
People are being too harsh about graphics. In terms of environmental variety it looks head over shoulders better then Soma.

RDrIy5q.png

Looks like the setting is colonized Africa! French Soldiers can be seen in the trailer.
OGiF86G.png

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
I hope this game continues the trend of success that Frictional has seen since TDD. These folks deserve it. TDD remains the only horror game to this day I've not been able to complete on account of it scaring me absolutely shitless. Here's hoping Rebirth follows in its footsteps.

As an aside, I'd love to see Frictional's take on a third-person survival horror game some day. These folks could pull off something incredible if they had the resources (Microsoft, you know what to do!)

Oct 30, 2017
Goddamit!!!

Same day as Remothered Broken Porcelain...

Guess will spend the rest of October playing these two back to back.. my poor poor nerves :-(

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Let's gooooooooo

Im sure the mechanic of using a match as your 'Lantern' and having to watch as it burns out wont be terrifying at ALL

Exciting to see the scope of this. Seems bigger than SOMA. Also gonna be interesting how they marry the storytelling lessons of SOMA with the raw scares of the OG Amnesia.

Honestly, so excited for this! Frictional is an amazing studio

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
People are being too harsh about graphics. In terms of environmental variety it looks head over shoulders better then Soma.

RDrIy5q.png

Looks like the setting is colonized Africa! French Soldiers can be seen in the trailer.
OGiF86G.png
Daniel from The Dark Descent was part of an expedition in Algeria which took a dark turn, so I think there might be a narrative link there.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Does the visual fidelity of this look like a step backwards from SOMA to anyone else?

I think its light vs dark. 100% of SOMA was in a dark facility at the bottom of the ocean. The bright lighting here is...noticeably not as good as the darkness

Like, think about the opening scenes of SOMA, in Toronto. That stuff didnt looks great either, but the underwater scenes still look phenomenal

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I played the original Amnesia for the first time earlier this year and I really enjoyed my time despite the game itself having released a decade ago. If you are thinking about it then I do recommend a play-through. Reposting my text here if you don't mind:
I had no plans to play Amnesia but I loved SOMA. This announcement reminded me that I acquired the Amnesia Collection from PS+ a while back.
Completed Dark Descent last night and I really enjoyed it, trying to irk out time in my day to play it.

+ Good atmosphere. I played this mostly at night and past midnight in my living room with the lights off. Half of the time my wife would be making sounds and the door open to the next room so I could have isolated myself better (and made the game more frightening & effective) but I still very much enjoyed it all. Game was like many horror games more frightening in the first half when there's more anticipation for the scary stuff and before you totally figure out all the mechanics. Ambient had a few proper tunes ala Resident Evil but also ambient, loops. scraping etc. similar to Silent Hill. I had a nice rush of panic when I got chased the first time.
+ Mostly devoid of cheap jump scares.
+ Puzzles were well balanced, not too obscure and several were physics based. I had to Google a couple of times and another time I felt like I really got lucky as the object was pretty vague. But I thought the great majority of puzzles were practical and flowed well.
+ The simplistic piece meal story presented mostly through notes is enjoyable enough since it doesn't drown you in lore and 'homework' (hello Death Stranding). Every time I discover a new paper I look forward to read the contents.
+ The looting mechanics with analog way of opening doors & cupboards that I enjoyed in SOMA (and originated in Penumbra from what I hear) and general world interactivity/'solidity' feels nice. I also enjoyed kindling the various lanterns (but sparingly) as it worked as breadcrumbs for my progress in largely hub-like and labyrinthine environments.
- Graphics are not very hot by 2010 standards even. Big clunky polygonal environments and lack of general details can make the game feel very low-budget (which was the case). The art shines through most of the time thankfully.
- The voice acting and some of the dialog is middling.
- Game fades a bit out in the last third. It could be an environmental aspect in how I played the game or how well I knew all the mechanics by then but that's how the feeling evolved. It might be how the game tries to make certain aspects more grand as you go but then the low-budget falls short of the aim.

Overall I can see how SOMA was a big jump forward in production quality but I still found Amnesia to be worth my time today in 2020. These games were released five years a part and the same will hold true between SOMA and Amnesia: Rebirth (the first actual sequel to Dark Descent) so I'm really looking forward to see how this new one turns out.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Really excited for this, looks great. I was a bit underwhelmed by A Machine for Pigs but the original game is one of my favorite experiences from last decade.

Here's the PSN pre-order links. They are in the tweet chain in the OP, but got cut off.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
As an aside, I'd love to see Frictional's take on a third-person survival horror game some day. These folks could pull off something incredible if they had the resources (Microsoft, you know what to do!)

By all means, make the studio's games exclusive to a platform that's not even mentioned in this announcement, much like it was with SOMA. That would be such a pro-consumer thing to do. /s

EDIT:
Daniel from The Dark Descent was part of an expedition in Algeria which took a dark turn, so I think there might be a narrative link there.

Can you share a link or details that shed some light on the event?

Cajun

Oct 28, 2017
As multiple people have already said, Frictional is on my instant buy list now, so I will absolutely play this. Though, I'm honestly kind of disappointed they're immediately dipping back into Amnesia after completely mixing the setting up with Soma. After seeing their incredible success there, I would've thought they had a strong enough namesake to grab buyers without going the franchise route, and would offer us entirely unique stories every time.

I'm ready to be wrong about my doubts though. I feel they probably learned quite a bit about storytelling with Soma that makes them excited to return with this.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
As multiple people have already said, Frictional is on my instant buy list now, so I will absolutely play this. Though, I'm honestly kind of disappointed they're immediately dipping back into Amnesia after completely mixing the setting up with Soma.
They are actually working on two games simultaneously this time around. The second title is likely just a year or so behind.

Cajun

Oct 28, 2017
They are actually working on two games simultaneously this time around. The second title is likely just a year or so behind.

Okay that makes a lot more sense to me. Studio expanded so they're doing their namesake + hopefully a new story that people like me would prefer. That's great news, thanks.