• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
www.superdataresearch.com

January 2021 worldwide digital games market — SuperData, a Nielsen Company

Worldwide digital games earnings rose by 15% year-over-year to reach $11.6B in January 2021. Revenue was up annually across all device types.

Among Us had roughly half a billion monthly active users in November. The title is now by far the most popular game ever in terms of monthly players. Since Among Us is not heavily monetized, earnings figures are comparatively smaller. The PC version (which has a $5 upfront price) accounted for the majority of revenue from August to November (64%) despite having an extremely small share of the total player base (3% in November).

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. That is a mind boggling number. The devs must feel like they're living in a dream at this point.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Half a billion? What the fuck? I had to double take. That's incredible. Curious to see how that team plans to sustain or even grow these numbers.

I don't envy them at all.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
This will be the game of 2020 when looking back in a decade.

People have been saying Animal Crossing cameout at the perfect time, but I think this game more so deserves that claim. Despite being from 2018.

Having such a social game be free and on mobile when a lot of the world was in lockdown was huge.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
It's crazy how a game made a few people on next to no budget can be so huge.

While AAA games can only dream of being so popular.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. I knew it was big but didn't quite appreciate just how big it was. That's crazy.

Oct 25, 2017
Half a billion? What the fuck? I had to double take. That's incredible. Curious to see how that team plans to sustain or even grow these numbers.

I don't envy them at all.
From the looks of it all they need to do is put out a map every once in a while. Maybe update tasks. This sort of machine is primed to move itself all on its own.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fun multiplayer game that anyone can play with any old phone for free, gameplay based on chatting, joking around, and lying to your friends.

The perfect pandemic game.

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, that's *huge*. I know it felt like everyone was playing it but damn, everyone really WAS playing it!

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep I can easily believe it. This thing is so popular among my non-gaming friends and their families too. Saw a bday cake in that theme just a few days back lmao

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Incredible numbers. I don't think they'll hold after the pandemic ends but I'm blown away by how fast and how high Among Us has flown thus far.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really wonder how much money this game has made. Every one at that developer is probably a millionaire at this point.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
This means there's a good chance that wherever we go there's atleast one player...among us.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
As a big fan of Werewolf and Secret Hitler, it makes me happy to know that a social deduction game has taken over the world.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Wow. I still haven't tried this yet but that is crazy impressive. It seems like forever ago when PUBG was the new hotness.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Do people even play the other two maps lol
I always see gameplays and streams of the default map

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Isn't this the game that the developer was worried about updating the network might break the server for a week or so?

Also, so much for those saying "it didn't deserve a award", LMAO. If a half billion player base game doesn't deserve, which game will???

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I played it a bit, its fun but... I'll never understand all this success for the game...
Probably being free and heavily sponsorized by streamers?
It's all but perfect and the content is definetly not that much to be fun for a long time.
But I guess the fact I am not a big fan of multiplayer games is part of me not understanding probably...

Anyway happy for the developers! A free game, not full of microtransactions or dlc, not photorealistic graphic, easy to play and low budget, that has a huge success.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
It was smart of them to have it be cheap on PC and Switch and free on phones. I played for the first time last weekend. Three of us on Switches, two on PC and 5 on their phones. Many aren't gamers so it was great that they were able to just download it on their phones and play.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I played it a bit, its fun but... I'll never understand all this success for the game...
It's all but perfect and the content is definetly not that much to be fun for a long time.
But I guess the fact I am not a big fan of multiplayer games is part of me not understanding probably...

Anyway happy for the developers! A free game, not full of microtransactions or dlc, not photorealistic graphic, easy to play and low budget, that has a huge success.
The game is $5 on Steam and Switch, free on mobile.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017

People have been saying Animal Crossing cameout at the perfect time, but I think this game more so deserves that claim. Despite being from 2018.

Having such a social game be free and on mobile when a lot of the world was in lockdown was huge.
Hmmmmm no.. just not the same to compare.

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018

I'm in the same boat as you and I am a big multi player gamer although my group consists of about 4 players consistently with 2 more joining every now and again.

Our go to games are Fortnite, Warzone, Apex Legends, Sea Of Thieves, State Of Decay 2, Destiny 2, Wreckfest, No Man's Sky, Rocket League, Smite among others. We tried it for a few sessions and it didn't click with us at all.

I can definitely see the attraction but after a few rounds I felt I'd seen all it had to offer and my time was spent better elsewhere.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I believe it, it's one of those games even people who don't really know much about games knows about (and many non-gamers I'm close with have been interested in the game I think due to celebs playing it, being a social game, etc). Add to that it's multiplayer, simple to run on everything, got a lot of exposure, etc.

Still insane though! I also can't imagine how the devs feel, having a small little niche title for two years suddenly blow up a couple years later to these insane numbers.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
This is the type of game that without Twitch and other streaming services it wouldn't have been a thing. Amazing how it just takes a simple idea mixed with the right ingredients to create this unique world wide phenomenon.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Do you play with randoms or do you have a group of people you know who you play with? Playing with randoms is significantly less fun. That said, I don't think it's a game you play for long stretches of time in one go. I play with a group on discord for somewhere between 2-3 hours once a week and it's a blast, but it's not a game you play much longer or more often than that imo

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

You must be kidding.

I bought it on Switch too, but let's not kid ourselves, specially because of the social game aspect (and their dumb decision to put future content into this unstable mess instead of doing the planned sequel), this will disappear and vanish as fast and instantly as it came, once streamers aren't playing anymore.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Its a brilliant game.

My kids (who are in elementary school) got me and my wife into it about 2 months ago.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Do people even play the other two maps lol
I always see gameplays and streams of the default map
The default map is the best one, but the other two are still fun. It very much falls into the issue that a lot of battle royale games have where everyone gets used to one map and strategies around it so they are afraid to try others since you have to play an entirely different way.

I love Among Us and think there is certainly room to improve in terms of social deduction video games. It will be interesting to see if bigger companies start to jump on this bandwagon like they did with battle royale.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
This is the type of game that without Twitch and other streaming services it wouldn't have been a thing. Amazing how it just takes a simple idea mixed with the right ingredients to create this unique world wide phenomenon.
We just don't have many games that revolve around socializing with casual low-maintenance gameplay. Seems weird how niche the "genre" is, despite the massive popularity of Twitch/Youtube.
I guess it's not highly monetizable?

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
You must be kidding.

I bought it on Switch too, but let's not kid ourselves, specially because of the social game aspect (and their dumb decision to put future content into this unstable mess instead of doing the planned sequel), this will disappear and vanish as fast and instantly as it came, once streamers aren't playing anymore.
This game made by 3 people has become the game with the most monthly active players ever.

You think it'll be vanish? Lmao

The game has already been around for months in the mainstream and it's only getting more popular and now it's getting ported to consoles.

All games will eventually die out, but this game has been huge for a large part of the world lockdown and is continuing to grow. The heights that this game have reached might never be matched.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
What the fuck ? Really ? Granted I'm a bit isolated these days, but I had to triple-check the number, it's ridiculous. That's 5 times the lifetime sales of GTAV.

I had no clue. I don't care about the game, but if gaming as a whole gets bigger, maybe we'll get more risky AAAs.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
Hard to believe that number, if 7 billion on the planet that's 1 in 14 people playing the game