• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
Hwang in the original Soul Edge was 90% mitsurugi.

X didn't steal his moveset... She had an original kit.

Yun Seong is also his own character.

It's more complicated than that. Hwang was the alternative to Mitsu for countries that were anti-samurai with some move variations, but it's Mitsu who has the moveset overhaul when he next appears in Soul Calibur.

Hwang has some of that old stuff mixed in with X's moveset in SC and then SC2 Assassin is a remix of that stuff plus some Yun Seung moves, which gets remixed again in the Hwang style Chinese sword custom in SC3.

At this point he's as much a clone as Nightmare - Seig, Mina - Kilik, Sophie - Cassandra, or Raph - Amy. You could make an argument for any of them at one point in time, in either direction in some cases! Ultimately it's just semantic bullshit over who is legit and who's a copy.

Bottom line, at this point it's readily apparent that all SC6 characters have highly unique movesets even if they share similar weapon styles, so arguing against the inclusion of a clone seems silly.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's more complicated than that. Hwang was the alternative to Mitsu for countries that were anti-samurai with some move variations, but it's Mitsu who has the moveset overhaul when he next appears in Soul Calibur.

Hwang has some of that old stuff mixed in with X's moveset in SC and then SC2 Assassin is a remix of that stuff plus some Yun Seung moves, which gets remixed again in the Hwang style Chinese sword custom in SC3.

At this point he's as much a clone as Nightmare - Seig, Mina - Kilik, Sophie - Cassandra, or Raph - Amy. You could make an argument for any of them at one point in time, in either direction in some cases! Ultimately it's just semantic bullshit over who is legit and who's a copy.

Bottom line, at this point it's readily apparent that all SC6 characters have highly unique movesets even if they share similar weapon styles, so arguing against the inclusion of a clone seems silly.

You're absolutely wrong.

https://soulcalibur.fandom.com/wiki/Arthur

Mitsu didn't have a kit overhaul. Hwang was just a regular old clone in Soul Edge.

Anyway, you get to the point eventually. People want Hwang because they like Hwang. No need to complain about clones when none of these characters even play similarly anymore. Amy was never a Raph clone anyway. They shared nothing except a weapon. I was just pointing out how silly it is to complain about Amy and in the same breath request Hwang, who has been a clone of one character or another in almost every game.

Last edited:

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
It's gonna be interesting to see Amy vs Viola. Viola is coming in season 2 I believe. The datamined codename Star most certainly refers to her.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just happy I live in a world where it's even rumored that SC will be getting support a year after it's been released.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
You're absolutely wrong.

https://soulcalibur.fandom.com/wiki/Arthur

Mitsu didn't have a kit overhaul. Hwang was just a regular old clone in Soul Edge.

Anyway, you get to the point eventually. People want Hwang because they like Hwang. No need to complain about clones when none of these characters even play similarly anymore. Amy was never a Raph clone anyway. They shared nothing except a weapon. I was just pointing out how silly it is to complain about Amy and in the same breath request Hwang, who has been a clone of one character or another in almost every game.

Well, we're both in agreement about the latter point.

But, I gotta contest. I pulled my information from the same wiki. https://soulcalibur.fandom.com/wiki/Hwang
Yes, Arthur was the non samurai option in Soul Calibur, but Hwang came first as the alternative in Soul Edge. Also states "Hwang ended up keeping most of the moves that both had used in Soul Blade - Mitsurugi fights quite differently in the Calibur games when compared to Soul Blade."

I mean, take with the usual grain of salt and all for wiki information. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's gonna be interesting to see Amy vs Viola. Viola is coming in season 2 I believe. The datamined codename Star most certainly refers to her.

Nothing against Viola but I hope it's Algol.

Algol (/ˈælɡɒl, -ɡɔːl/), designated Beta Persei(β Persei, abbreviated Beta Per, β Per), known colloquially as the Demon Star, is a bright multiple star in the constellation of Perseus and one of the first non-nova variable stars to be discovered

Yeah, it's possible Algol will be back but I personally dont see it happening. It seems in Amy's trailer, Azwel and Amy have special dialogue. Azwel might have something to do with her becoming Viola.
This is interesting take, knowing how Amy became Viola would be nice especially if Azwel is the one that caused it. But still Algol has been my runner up main since his debut on SC4

Last edited:

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, we're both in agreement about the latter point.

But, I gotta contest. I pulled my information from the same wiki. https://soulcalibur.fandom.com/wiki/Hwang
Yes, Arthur was the non samurai option in Soul Calibur, but Hwang came first as the alternative in Soul Edge. Also states "Hwang ended up keeping most of the moves that both had used in Soul Blade - Mitsurugi fights quite differently in the Calibur games when compared to Soul Blade."

I mean, take with the usual grain of salt and all for wiki information. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I stand corrected. I had no idea Hwang was created as a replacement for Mitsu in the Korean version.

But the moveset thing is wrong. Mitsu kept, and still has, lots of moves from SoulEdge.

Oct 26, 2017
Algol is an awful design, but if they're intending to retell the story of the series within this game he kind of has to be here. He was also mentioned a lot in the story, like Hilde.

As for Hwang, yeah, he was a Mitsu clone with 10% new moves (mainly the fancy kicks) in Soul Edge, then he was brought into the general cast (along with Cervantes) in Ver. B of the game, and then into the home version. For Soul Calibur, they created Arthur as the pure Mitsu replacement where needed, and instead used Xianghua's moveset, again with partly original moves, for Hwang. They later differentiated this style even more for Yun-Seoung - I'm not sure if Assassin used a distinct one though. In SC3, Yun kept his style while a more Hwang-like "Chinese Sword" custom style was made for CAS and used for Hwang as a premade CAS bonus character. Finally he was turned into a complete character again with SC3:Arcade Edition. So yeah, he has always had major elements of other characters' movesets.

Last edited: