1. Nirolak

Nirolak
    Member OP

The other thread was mostly about the Star Wars game, so I thought one about Amy Hennig's new studio would be appropriate.

Source: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...hennig-has-departed-ea-to-set-up-indie-studio

2. Alethiometer

Alethiometer

VR? Good luck with that. There's not much money in VR right now.

3. Dynomutt

Dynomutt

Doesn't mean Sony can't publish!

Especially with VR being involved.

The prodigal daughter returns!

Get on the phone Sony!

4. Dynomutt

Dynomutt

Gotta do what your passionate about. She has the clout and freedom. This shit is short don't work to work work to accomplish and that's what she wants.

5. DomsPlaying

DomsPlaying

Wishing her and the new team all the best.

I'd prefer to see them try something more traditional than going to a VR platform, but interested all the same to see where it goes.

6. inner-G

inner-G

Not interested if it's VR-focused, sorry.

7. ZangBa

ZangBa

Microsoft about to buy them up.

8. Heart_Attack

Heart_Attack

Good luck with that.

9. CrichtonKicks

CrichtonKicks

Love to be wrong but this feels like it will end up in a whole lot of nothing. Especially given the comments on VR.

I would guess that, at best, it may end up like the stuff that Chris Avellone's doing where it's a lot of consulting and/ore writing assists but no significant lead roles (though it seems maybe that will be different for Dying Light 2). Or Joseph Staten where he evidently consults on a lot of MS output yet there is no sense that the world building and/or story stuff in MS projects has materially benefited.

Ken Levine still hasn't shown footage of his game with a similarly sized (or even slightly bigger) studio and he has a major publisher funding that.

I don't know- just sounds like a holding pattern destined to end in a whimper until a few years from now Amy either joins a major studio and/or exits the industry and shows up on the writing staff of a TV show somewhere.

10. Chalfonts

Chalfonts

VR? in 2018?

she might have been safer at EA

11. I'm not sure if she's that passionate about VR right now... She says she needs to play more VR games because she hasn't played a lot of them before.

12. Deleted member 14002

Deleted member 14002
    User requested account closure Member

No interest in VR but all the best

13. Bonejack

Bonejack

You know ... she can just leave the studio in this case then? You never buy a dev for the actual developers.

14. unfashionable

unfashionable

OTOH If Amy Hennig wants to work on VR, that's something I will follow with great interest.

15. BadWolf

BadWolf

Not my cup of tea but all the best to her.

16. aisback

aisback

I'm glad to see she's back on her own feet.

I can't wait to see what she can do with full creative freedom.

Question - are VR games cheaper and faster to make compared to standard games?

17. Aquamarine

Aquamarine
    Resident Novelist Member

18. Memento

Memento

Welp. With a team that small I doubt she would make something as ambitious as her past games... but I guess she was burned out with AAA development...

Wish her luck!

19. Bhonar

Bhonar

Why VR though?

20. RoboPlato

RoboPlato

I wish Amy nothing but the best. She’s had a rough patch lately but she’s a key figure in some of the best games ever made and anything she does from here on out, I’m keeping an eye on. I miss her voice in games.

21. Stealthy Cockatrice

Stealthy Cockatrice
    Banned Member

Congrats to her but I dont think her decision to go VR as an indie will pay off unless ofc she doesnt care about income and wants to just do what she loves in which case thats nice.

22. mindsale

mindsale

Amazing. She's an industry great.

23. CrichtonKicks

CrichtonKicks

A lot of the VR "experiences" have been far shorter, yes. So presumably therefore cheaper and quicker. Doesn't seem like they are a particularly ROI though.

24. Aokiji

Aokiji

oh she's starting simple and staying small? she can def be brought in as a contractor for the new uncharted then.
    hashtag believe

25. Loakum

Loakum

I will support her studio, because I feel the industry has treated Amy so grossly unfairly.

26. MrMatt555

MrMatt555

Fuck.

27. Vishmarx

Vishmarx

I wish her the best. But i expected the industry to employ her talents a lot better.

28. dude

dude

Great news and I hope they do supper well. Much more excited about that than if she worked on another triple A.

29. Slackerish

Slackerish

Good luck to her and the new studio.

30. Nitro

Nitro

Good decision. This is good news.

31. She will never work on Uncharted again.

32. TheGhost

TheGhost

Would support a Indie game from her, wouldn't waste my time with a VR game but whatever floats her boat.

33. Netherscourge

Netherscourge

Seems like a good idea.

Stay independent. Make indies. Self-publish. Cover all platforms.

Can't really go wrong there.

34. tyfon

tyfon

Cool, the more games for VR the merrier :)
    After playing one of them, "flat" games feel very shallow for a while.

35. LifeLine

LifeLine

Considering she's know for AAA big budget action adventures and has pretty much defined that genre, going independent sounds like a bad fit.

36. aubreyk309

aubreyk309

I actually think she can pull this off. We know she's a fantastic writer, and a lot of times Indies end up being a great place for great writers to show that talent off.

37. Hesemonni

Hesemonni

Not too hot about VR either :/

38. Nemesis162

Nemesis162

She's never going to work with Uncharted after what happened in ND. Or even AAA games, maybe

39. CrichtonKicks

CrichtonKicks

Of course you can. All of those require a lot of money and bring a lot of risk.

40. Aokiji

Aokiji

new studio =/= ND and EA =/= Sony

41. srtrestre

srtrestre

Interested in her non-VR work. Will keep an eye out for it.

42. NameUser

NameUser

I feel like Amy got a raw deal. In my head, TLOU blew up, and ND wanted to give her game to the TLOU guys (which was wrong). Idk, I feel bad for her.

43. thediamondage

thediamondage

Makes sense, I imagine she must be super burned out after what sounded like a really, really challenging 2 years dealing with stuff thats more on the business / management side of things rather than creative. Its a real bummer that things didn't come together because I think a SP Star Wars game with her behind the creative wheel but someone else running the business side could have been amazing, but alas it is not to be.

44. CrichtonKicks

CrichtonKicks

Have you read Blood, Sweat, and Pixels? ND essentially lost Bruce Straley because of the decision for Straley/Druckmann to take on UC4.

45. gcwy

gcwy

Good luck to her, I certainly won't be able to enjoy her stuff if she's going VR.

46. NameUser

NameUser

No. I bought it but haven't read it yet. That sucks.

47. [redacted]

[redacted]

Amy Henning writing characters in a VR game is some next level shit, imagine the immersion of interacting with actual genuine feeling characters.

48. Blayde

Blayde

good stay away from ea

49. Netherscourge

Netherscourge

Looking over her game-writing/directing resume:

ElectroCop 1989 artist Atari Corporation
    Desert Strike: Return to the Gulf 1992 artist Electronic Arts
    Michael Jordan: Chaos in the Windy City 1994 designer, artist Electronic Arts
    3D Baseball 1996 artist[21] Crystal Dynamics
    Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain 1996 design manager Crystal Dynamics
    Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 1999 director, producer, writer Eidos Interactive
    Soul Reaver 2 2001 director, writer Eidos Interactive
    Legacy of Kain: Defiance 2003 director, writer Eidos Interactive
    Jak 3 2004 director[22] Sony Computer Entertainment
    Uncharted: Drake's Fortune 2007 director, writer Sony Computer Entertainment
    Uncharted 2: Among Thieves 2009 director, writer Sony Computer Entertainment
    Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception 2011 director, writer Sony Computer Entertainment
    Uncharted: Golden Abyss 2011 story consultant Sony Computer Entertainment
    Battlefield Hardline 2015 writer Electronic Arts

-Yea, she'll do just fine. Looking forward to her new, original games. LOVE those Soul Reaver games.

50. Aevum

Aevum

I will just leave this here: