• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
That is awesome. Glad she is making her own studio was worried after hitting two walls in a row in AAA development she might throw in the towel on gaming forever.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Fuck me, she was a writer on the Legacy of Kain games? How the hell did she go from that to Uncharted? I was always confused when people praised her writing ability because I only knew about her work on Uncharted. This changes everything, though I'm not going to get excited yet just in case whatever she works on ends up being a VR game.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People doing the old man yelling at clouds routine. Developers, seem to find VR an incredibly interesting platform to work with, full of possibilities. The way you can engage players, interaction capabilities and overall immersion has immense possibilites. It's a new medium, with new techniques being developed all the time. There's so much to learn, to try out etc. There's much more room to grow in VR than other gaming areas right now due to it's nature. (Well mobile can as well, but precedent has been largely set there due to the userbases expectations. Though VR will play an important part on mobile I think too).

Sure, it needs work, but the potential is there and I think most the industry sees it, even if many players don't. But in time, I think they trust that you will. Stop wishing it will go away, because it's not going anywhere. Just like 3D graphics didn't go anywhere despite people's misgivings about that.

ItsTheShoes

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunate to hear about her fall from grace. Hopefully she comes back to the triple A scene vs making little crappy vr experiences .

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck me, she was a writer on the Legacy of Kain games? How the hell did she go from that to Uncharted? I was always confused when people praised her writing ability because I only knew about her work on Uncharted. This changes everything, though I'm not going to get excited yet just in case whatever she works on ends up being a VR game.

Hm, I always thought the writing on Uncharted 1-3 were exceptional at the time. Still holds up well today.

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
I have faith. VR is still waiting for what Kings Quest was for adventure games in the 80's. Someone like her could definitely pull it off.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what kind of game she can make with an indie-tier budget.

I personally have no interest in VR stuff though.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Gotta do what your passionate about. She has the clout and freedom. This shit is short don't work to work work to accomplish and that's what she wants.

Unfortunately, it probably becomes somewhat of a balancing act for most people because what he or she wants may not be what the market wants in a sustainable quantity, and in this case, there would be 9-13 other people's employment that need to be taken into consideration.

Oct 27, 2017
If I was Sony out of goodwill I would throw some money at her and ask that the next game debuts on PlayStation but let her make whatever.

Not a ton of money, but like $5-$10M

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Writing is more than just the story. Uncharted's praise came for the characters and the banter between them.

Soundchaser

Oct 25, 2017
Wish she would go AAA. There's not a single woman that owns a AAA studio and she could be the tide to influence more women to go that route, but I'm glad she's running her own shit.
I don't think she's rich enough to keep a AAA studio afloat on her own, and taking external investment would mean giving up creative freedom which she doesn't seem to be very interested in.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, don't worry guys. When you get a VR kit you'll be able to enjoy the game now. Don't discount the future.

Personally far more interested in something forward thinking than the boring safe bets.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Since she's known mostly as a writer, it would be cool of she work on something story heavy that didn't require a huge team to make. Some classic adventure game, visual novel, or something like Ace Attorney

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
The disdain this community has for VR is something else. I'm sure VR for a lot of developers is really enticing for the creativity it offers, especially now when everything is new ground.

LRB1983

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Would have been better under a big budget studio umbrella specially if we want a great single player game.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The disdain this community has for VR is something else. I'm sure VR for a lot of developers is really enticing for the creativity it offers, especially now when everything is new ground.
The only solace I have is that it seems to have at least somewhat abated the hate/fear common enemy away from PC. So PC related discourse has been slowly...very slowly. Getting better. But we're still a ironically regressive site when it comes to options of play.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not super interested in VR at the moment, but with Déraciné and a possible Amy Hennig written/directed title, that may start to change.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

Agreed! It's giving them the opportunity to work in a new medium, explore its possibilities and to help lay the groundwork for how to design games in that medium. I can imagine that's more interesting from a creative standpoint than working on another streamlined triple A title that has to appeal to as broad an audience as possible.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Sweet, I love her work especially Uncharted. Looking forward to seeing what VR goodness comes out from her team.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Eh, a waste....

But at the same time I can't blame someone for not jumping back into the soul sucking AAA rat race after dealing with things souring at Naughty Dog and then literally wasting years of her life and nothing to show for it with EA.

LRB1983

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Don't know if serious...
It's, prepare for an average kickstarter project campaing full of unkept promises and people backing because of project leader's name who thinks can afford something similar they made before under a big company like SEGA, Konami, CAPCOM, Sony....
She is great telling stories but her great projects are under astonishing cinematic graphics -like Naughty Dog-, and as she said make a competitive single player game is very expensive, VR? good luck with that.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
VR sounds great to me. Something well-written using that tech could be awesome. And those saying there's no money to be made, why do you think so many Indies are currently making VR games? Now, I agree there is no money to be made if you're some 200 employee studio making a AAA VR game. But you have a sector of the market that is a fair few million strong now and thirsty as fuck for new, good content. There may not be many of them total, but most of them buy even the middling content that is released so I'd imagine attatchment rates are high. I think this is a good fit for someone who is clearly done with the AAA industry.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I didn't realize we had such a number of VR haters here.

It's the most exciting thing in gaming going on right now, so I'm not surprised creatives like her are interested in exploring it.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's with all the people really down on VR? There are some amazing VR games out there, especially on Oculus Rift, and the hardware is getting cheaper all the time. It's still selling really well.
They treat Hennig's output as a commodity. Hell, these certain hobbyists treat gaming as a commodity, just like the casuals.