• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Still wouldnt bet anything that gamefreak actually makes a game that looks and feels like something released on a home console this last 5 years and a true evolution presentation wise (and no, sun and moon didnt look that great apart from the pokemons so I wouldnt like an uprezzed version of that).

In my opinion with this news they should have showed a screen or an awesome concept art with a visual representation of how the game will look (maybe the back of the main character, the back of a new pokemon and a beautiful scenery surrounding them), if they are confident in it. That would have surely closed my mouth and hyped people to the stratosphere.
Because im not giving gamefreak the benefit of the doubt i will wait till 2019 to see what they have in store for the core game.

rokninja

Oct 27, 2017
Tempe, AZ
OH thank god. With that in mind, I can approach "Lets Go" without animosity lol.

I was about to be fully upset that they really just said "f a Gen 8" lol.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No way this new engine they are using for Let's go isn't the 2019 game engine.

Expect this 3d engine to be used for plenty of future pokemon games on a yearly basis is my bet.

Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee
Pokemon 2019 Gen 8
Pokemon Let's Go Johto
Pokemon 2021 Gen 9

Etc

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
As a non fan, let's go got me interested. It looked great to me.

So if that game sticks with me, I can see myself giving the 2019 game a try

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Oh, I must be imagining it then surely. Not like there is 8 pages prior with nasty/weird takes and "genwun" nonsense.

But, way to be a dickhead about it though.

"Genwun" is a real thing though. So many people wishing for GF to EXCLUDE other ~700 Pokémon just because they don't like them as much as their childhood friends.

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
That was pretty obvious I think. Of course a new mainline Pokemon game will come. The 3DS is done. It has to be for Switch.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Good to hear there is gonna be a new Gen confirmed because people crying about going back to Gen 1 is annoying af.

Cant wait for Gen 8 giving us legendary Ketchup, Mustard and Mayo Pokemons.

I'm a genwunner, the post edition.

Expect this 3d engine to be used for plenty of future pokemon games on a yearly basis is my bet.

Pokemon 2019 Gen 8
Pokemon Let's Go Johto
Pokemon 2021 Gen 9

Etc

Add remakes and/or third versions in the mix to keep the series annual and have longer development cycles on the "new" games.

MisterMangu

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
As probable as it being a PS4 exclusive.

Sun and Moon throwed away conventions by the way. There are no HM, no gyms for example.
This isn't what people mean when they say they want a radical change in tbe series.

Gyms were replaced by trials and everything else are more like QoL changes.

What people want (those who want a massive change) is more grand Pokémon title. Something much more ambitious and grandeur in scope. With a much higher budget, no more top down camera (free roam I believe it's called?). Pretty much a AAA Pokémon title.

Deleted member 26535

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Let's Go is not for me, I just want to breed, to train and to battle.

2019 means that I will continue to play Ultra Moon for one more year. :)

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
This isn't what people mean when they say they want a radical change in tbe series.

Gyms were replaced by trials and everything else are more like QoL changes.

What people want (those who want a massive change) is more grand Pokémon title. Something much more ambitious and grandeur in scope. With a much higher budget, no more top down camera (free roam I believe it's called?). Pretty much a AAA Pokémon title.

First line of my post.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Add remakes and/or third versions in the mix to keep the series annual and have longer development cycles on the "new" games.
If there was ever a pokemon game that should use DLC, it's this. The game is aimed at Go players, whom are used to getting content updates. Make this a service game, while the older, core fans can just buy Gen 8 next year

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017

Pokemon 2019 Gen 8
Pokemon Let's Go Johto
Pokemon 2021 Gen 9

Etc

This is clearly still the 3DS engine.

lets-go-pikachu-eevee-09.jpg

lets-go-pikachu-eevee-04.jpg

For a full-priced 60 dollar console game.

The fact that:

a) They say they have been working on the 2019 game since the Switch devkits went out
b) The barebones update we got in the form of USUM
c) The copy paste tile-based landscape from FRLG in an upressed 3DS engine

leads me to believe the 2019 game will atleast blow our expectations out of the water graphically, how low they may be at this point.

MisterMangu

Banned
Feb 12, 2018

The fact that:

a) They say they have been working on the 2019 game since the Switch devkits went out

leads me to believe the 2019 game will atleast blow our expectations out of the water graphically, how low they may be at this point.
If it's like Xenoblade, graphically, I'd be a very happy boy.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope with "Lets Go!" having launched, they can put some more focus on other non gen 1 pokemon and have a nice spread of them. I really miss some Gen 5 and 4 pokes I havent used in a while during single player.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just hope with "Lets Go!" having launched, they can put some more focus on other non gen 1 pokemon and have a nice spread of them. I really miss some Gen 5 and 4 pokes I havent used in a while during single player.
It'd be nice if they pulled a Gen 5 and had only new Pokemon until you beat the game.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Why do love random encounters so much? Can't we just have the wild pokemon visible to battle them instead?

There will still be pokemon encounters, but they'll not be randomized. You get to choose which one to battle and when.
Literally not a single good reason not to have both. Even if they limit random encounters to rarer Pokemon that don't show up in the overworld, I'd rather have some randomness involved in exploration rather than none at all. If you don't want random battles, use a fucking repel, killing them off entirely is the most pointless shit ever

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields

The fact that:

It just looks like S&M with a higher resolution and bobblehead character models.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
It'd be nice if they pulled a Gen 5 and had only new Pokemon until you beat the game.
I dont think that would be that good. I really think XY and SM are great games in part due to the great availability of pokemon during the campaign. I would say at least 250 pokemon during main campaign is nowadays nearly a minimum (also please Woobats instead of Zubats!). 100 new pokes and more regional forms (and none of them from gen 1) would be amazing. But make the new pokemon common and not the weird find that they sometimes were in SM.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is good news, but I'm still worried about the simplified stuff from this game leaking into next year's games. The games are already casual enough as it is.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
If they're going to make Sun & Moon HD and use this game as a stepping stone for casual players to migrate over to the 'hardcore' games, then GF is dumber than I thought.

No random battles is going to stay. Embrace it.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The fact that:

It's going to look like Let's Go Pikachu but with maybe a few extra bells and whistles.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
No random battles is okay, as long as the world map is designed with taht in mind and the pokemon density is good enough. DQ9 has a good overworld enemy, while 7 doesnt as the map wasnt designed with that in mind. Now, fighting the random battles has to be in there, I am okay with a minigame when throwing the pokeball but not having to capture all randos or run away.

Heilige Kip

Oct 30, 2017
If random battles are of the past I really wish gamefreak would look at the worlds of Xenoblades. The beasts feel alive and there are rare beasts to find. Please not the shit like lets go were the pokemon are just standing there... But maybe its wishfull thinking that we get a fully 3d world at all

Deleted member 26535

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Don't need to play it to know that i'm not interested in fucking around with only the original 151 in a region that's milked to death with shitty Go mechanics slapped on for a full 60.

It's trash.
I would not say that is trash, but definitely is not for me. And I think that this game could hurt the brand a little. Well, only time will tell.
This will be the first 'mainline'/remake that I will not buy.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Right.

I'm still replying to your second line in your post. The "changes" you mentioned are not really changes.

In any case, it's pretty sad that the fanbase is preventing the games from evolving (heh) and become something more.
The fans aren't doing shit (well, the ones who aren't obsessed with gen 1 aren't). Pokemon games not being ambitious is 100% on Gamefreak not going the extra mile, don't put it on anyone else

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
9d0fd81375.png

There, everyone should be happy now. You'll have your ambitious, great-looking game next year with a 3+ years development cycle with no GO influence, and in the meantime casual fans will enjoy Let's Go this fall as a cool Yellow remake/sequel. Diehard fans will buy both.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Okay, thank you.

I thought i was insane for not being blown axay with what we got today.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really curious if any details about Gen 8 have genuinely leaked already, lol. Now that we know it's coming in a year it makes you think if anything that's out there is actually legit or not.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Well I hope people will calm the fuck down soon so we can start talking about all this in a civil and constructive manner. This has been ridiculous so far, especially considering TPC made sure the lay everything out to appease the core players.

Deleted member 9145

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only thing I really dislike about Let's Go is that it looks more like the chibi style of Gen 6

Gen 7 was perfect man

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they're going to make Sun & Moon HD and use this game as a stepping stone for casual players to migrate over to the 'hardcore' games, then GF is dumber than I thought.

No random battles is going to stay. Embrace it.
No random battles is a good thing and I've been playing the games since day 1

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
9d0fd81375.png

There, everyone should be happy now. You'll have your ambitious, great-looking game next year with a 3+ years development cycle with no GO influence, and in the meantime casual fans will enjoy Let's Go this fall as a cool Yellow remake/sequel. Diehard fans will buy both.
Until we actually see the 2019 game, nah.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
9d0fd81375.png

Nah I won't buy whatever comes out in 2019 then if that's the case.

greenwell

Jan 12, 2018

Pokemon 2019 Gen 8
Pokemon Let's Go Johto
Pokemon 2021 Gen 9

Etc
No way we're getting Gen 9 in 2021 since new gens seem to be every three years (Gen 6/XY - 2013, Gen 7/SM - 2016, Gen 8 - 2019) but 2021 Sinnoh remakes seem likely.