• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
They could also always do the goofy ass Platybelodon.
Platybelodon_NT_small.jpg

Ooh! The Megalodon is a good one. I was going to say Parasaurolophus & Triceratops due to those being childhood favorites, but now that Triceratops' classification is in dispute... Maybe a parareptile? Although some argue the Venusaur line counts to keep the "all grass-type starters are based on an extinct species" thing up.
???
Serperior and Decidueye aren't based on extinct species.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I am mainly a collector to fill in the dex.

I'm not really much for the competitor / IV training or online battling.

I wonder if they are going to have Let's Go Pikachu / Eevee be the go-to method to get Kanto region Mons into the 2019 RPG game.

Being that the Pokemon game in 2019 will be the first ever traditional game in the series released on what some may consider to be a console platform no less.

So I wonder how Game Freak is going to work around the concept with some console centric QoL changes in mind.

I expect online battling to exist par for the course since the Switch has networking capabilities. Although I hope they trying to complete the Dex is much more straightforward, as opposed to time limited events that require me to go a specific place to take advantage of it, when the reality is Game Freak can do this by digital distribution and mystery gift stuff.

Also I wonder if they are going to have a National Dex again and not do the area specific dex like it was for Sun and Moon.

Will take awhile but I hope I can realistically get all 900+ Mons in this upcoming game.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
a dramatic shift in level design design. they had no excuse with the 3DS given games that released on it, but with 4 3D games under their belt and a system with even more power, I'm expecting something akin to this

Dragon-Quest-XI-PS4-combat-gif.gif

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
???
Serperior and Decidueye aren't based on extinct species.

Snivy isn't a specific species, but it has limbs & then loses them as it evolves into Serperior just like real-world snakes did with real-world evolution. For a more specific example, between the long legs & being found in Hawaii, Decidueye is a stilt owl. That's also probably why it's a Ghost-Type, since they only went extinct relatively recently.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The lack of any new fossil Pokemon in Gen 7 was a bummer, what two animals would you guys like to see as fossil Pokemon in Gen 8?
For me it's easily the Megalodon
unknown.png

And the Anisodon
unknown.png

Archelon. No, Carracosta doesn't count, because Carracosta isn't ridicu-huge. Friggin' 3'11 isn't even big enough to be a leatherback.

edit: Forgot to mention that yeah, Megalodan would be rad. Just to have another shark.

Last edited:

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
a dramatic shift in level design design. they had no excuse with the 3DS given games that released on it, but with 4 3D games under their belt and a system with even more power, I'm expecting something akin to this

I imagine we'll have larger, more natural environments, basically the next evolution of what they were doing with Sun and Moon.
I don't think we'll have a dramatic shift in design though, just longer and wider routes that look more natural.
Snivy isn't a specific species, but it has limbs & then loses them as it evolves into Serperior just like real-world snakes did with real-world evolution. For a more specific example, between the long legs & being found in Hawaii, Decidueye is a stilt owl. That's also probably why it's a Ghost-Type, since they only went extinct relatively recently.
I thought Decidueye was a Pueo.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
I expect online battling to exist par for the course since the Switch has networking capabilities. Although I hope they trying to complete the Dex is much more straightforward, as opposed to time limited events that require me to go a specific place to take advantage of it, when the reality is Game Freak can do this by digital distribution and mystery gift stuff.
That won't happen.

The reason we get in-store events is because Game Freak wants (1) for you to get outside and socialize and (2) buy Pokémon merchandise.

Networking capabilities are unrelated to this. Events are never going away.

Nov 2, 2017
If the Gen 8 title is still filled to the brim with Kanto Pokemon and references and pandering (megas, Gen 1 exclusive forms and shit) I will fucking scream. When will enough be enough?

I just want a real gen like V again. I liked most of the new Pokemon in VI and VII (VI moreso, I think VII was pretty weak compared to most gens, in particular it has my least favorite starters), but there just wasn't enough of them. Give the games their own damn identity, don't fall back on nostalgia. Please.

Also, a style less chibi than Let's Go. That's one of the few things SuMo did right and then they reversed course. Also a main character that doesn't smile blankly in every cutscenes. FFXIV has a silent protagonist that reacts appropriately and often, there's no excuse.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
That won't happen.

The reason we get in-store events is because Game Freak wants (1) for you to get outside and socialize and (2) buy Pokémon merchandise.

When said events can be potentially hundreds of miles away at a specific location and nowhere else (Nintendo World Store for example), there are better and more acceptable alternatives.

Oct 26, 2017
When said events can be potentially hundreds of miles away at a specific location and nowhere else (Nintendo World Store for example), there are better and more acceptable alternatives.

People with limited ability to travel to GameStop (whether due to disability, poverty, etc) should not be allowed to get the new Pokemon imo.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That won't happen.

in store events more so happens because companies pay for the privilege

and to buy Pokemon merch

Mar 23, 2018

I'm expecting mountains to feel like mountains, haha.

I love how defenders of Game Freak think that Game Freak is the least talented and least ambitious developer in the world lol.

I'd love it, but...

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Presentation means alot. A Pokemon game with insanely good presentation would be awesome. Like slick UI, etc.

they attempted verticality in Gen 7, but you really can't get the full effect without a controllable camera

While I don't expect a huge BOTW type overhaul to the exploration that some folks want.

I think if the game headed in the direction with a world scale comparable to something like Dragon Quest VIII, I think that's more reasonable. Since that had semi-realistically scaled downs and various locales like dense forests, desert, and snow areas, caves, etc.

I always thought if the traditional Pokemon RPG ever went in a more console focused direction it would be comparable to PS2-era RPGs in that regard. Dragon Quest 8 being my go-to example since it would fit well with the style of a Pokemon game, just with atypical safe roads and the oft-beaten path with fields of high grass for those wild Pokemon encounters.

I'm saying this in the sense of Game Freak making something safe and conservative, which is seems much more likely.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I don't expect a huge BOTW type overhaul to the exploration that some folks want.

I think if the game headed in the direction with a world scale comparable to something like Dragon Quest VIII, I think that's more reasonable. Since that had semi-realistically scaled downs and various locales like dense forests, desert, and snow areas, caves, etc.

I always thought if the traditional Pokemon RPG ever went in a more console focused direction it would be comparable to PS2-era RPGs in that regard. Dragon Quest 8 being my go-to example since it would fit well with the style of a Pokemon game, just with atypical safe roads and the oft-beaten path with fields of high grass for those wild Pokemon encounters.
DQ is typically my go-to comparison for what I envision Pokemon could be like. There are a lot of similarities between the two
  • Emphasis on tradition
  • Demographics
  • Aesthetics
Of course, in that, DQ does almost everything better. A lot of presentation issues people have with Pokemon has since been solved in DQ. From world design, to proportional scale, to enemy encounter design. Hell, in 11, they have combat take place in the same explorable world (albeit with a loading screen in between).

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Megalodon would definitely be cool-- I'm hoping for a Missing Link Pokémon (the implications--!) or a duckbill

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
While my main focus for Pokemon being on competitive play means I'm mostly easy to please (main exception being that I want IVs gone lol), I can't lie: gen 9 having a revamped camera and better sense of scale would make me rrally hyped to actually play the single player instead of rushing through ot to get my ladder goodies!