• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
It's winter break at my school and I realized I've never used the gym apart from recreational sports. The campus is deserted, so I figure I may as well use the facilities while it's empty and I'm not gunna be judged by being a noob or have to wait for equipment. I've never been a work-out guy, but I am active.. so what's the best thing to do? Treadmills or exercise bikes seem redundant, because all they really do is burn calories. It's a full size university gym, so it has everything.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Legs - squats
Back - pullups
Chest - mass: bench press, incline/decline/flat. Tone: dumb bell bench
Arms - work on triceps

Remember form is more important then putting up mass amount of weight.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Monday - Biceps and Chest
Wednesday - Triceps and Back
Friday - Leg day

Use those two weeks to figure out which exercises work for you (free weights vs. machine etc.) then after that you've established that, youre in a comfortable spot to continue and not feel like a noob.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Legs - squats
Back - pullups
Arms - work on triceps

Pretty much this, though basically everyone wants to throw in arm curls, so I guess throw that in if you want.

Don't do anything stupid like lifting way past your means since it doesn't sound like there will be a spotter around. Focus on good form first and build your strength base.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Set up some hidden cameras so you can watch other people workout when they're back for you to pick up on their technique, routines and inspiration.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
This is my typical kind of schedule

Day 1: Abs, Legs, Biceps. 30 min cardio
Day 2: Shoulders, Back. 30 min cardio
Day 3: Abs, Chest, Triceps. 30 min cardio
Day 4: cardio and Abs only
Day 5: alternative workout (basketball, rock climbing, swimming)
Day 6: repeat day 1

I'll periodically change it up and focus on one muscle group per day, adding different workouts to the mix. The most important thing is to refrain from cheating on your lift, zero ego. If the most you can lift correctly is 20 lbs., then focus on that for two weeks or until you can lift 20lbs rather comfortably.

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much this, though basically everyone wants to throw in arm curls, so I guess throw that in if you want.

Don't do anything stupid like lifting way past your means since it doesn't sound like there will be a spotter around. Focus on good form first and build your strength base.

What do you recommend for biceps that aren't curls? They've been in my routine lately but I heard they're a bit redundant

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Make sure your nutrition is right. All the excercise in the world doesn't mean shit if you ain't getting the right amount of carbs and protein

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Um...bring a speaker and listen to your music as loud as you want? No need for headphones. Carly Rae Jepsen can really really really like anyone she wants as loudly as she wants while you do your squats.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
76JPeas.gif

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
What do you recommend for biceps that aren't curls? They've been in my routine lately but I heard they're a bit redundant
A majority of your bicep growth is going to come from curling, secondary growth will come from chest exercises. The key is to change up the type of curls you do. I swear by bodybuilding.com for workout ideas, heres a pretty solid list of great curl workouts to try for instance.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/bodybuildingcoms-10-highest-rated-biceps-exercises.html

Oct 25, 2017

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Legs - squats
Back - pullups
Arms - work on triceps

Mass versus "tone" (whatever that is) sounds like some serious broscience. How does lifting with dumbbells somehow not help with hypertrophy/mass gain?

OP, check out some Jeff Nippard videos on YouTube. He has some good push/pull/legs workout routines that'll get you started.
Or if you want to just gain strength, check out Stronglifts 5x5.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Day 1 Overhead Press 5x5 + Shoulders/Biceps 5x15
Day 2 Deadlift 5x5 + Back 5x15
Day 3 Bench Press 5x5 + Triceps 5x15
Day 4 Squats 5x5 + Legs 5x15

High weight low reps, low weight high reps

Oct 27, 2017
Monday - Biceps and Chest
Wednesday - Triceps and Back
Friday - Leg day

Use those two weeks to figure out which exercises work for you (free weights vs. machine etc.) then after that you've established that, youre in a comfortable spot to continue and not feel like a noob.
Listen to this man OP

Also, watch some Athlean x videos on YouTube

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You should be getting bicep activation when you are working out your back (lat pulldown for example), usually having a day for back + biceps works well, you can do a few sets of curls incorporated into your back workout and you can hit your biceps pretty well doing that.

Oct 25, 2017
You should be getting bicep activation when you are working out your back (lat pulldown for example), usually having a day for back + biceps works well, you can do a few sets of curls incorporated into your back workout and you can hit your biceps pretty well doing that.

Good to know, I should probably incorporate that into my workout, right now most of my workout focuses on lower back with the squat rack. Thanks

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
OP shouldn't care or be embarrassed when gym members are there, you better go there anytime you can. Bench press, leg press, Pull-Up, treadmill are at the top of the list. When you talk about commercial gyms, their reputations are the machines right so utilize those if you can. Bless the push ups and sit-ups.