• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 9, 2017
Réunion
Nowadays, I'm easily frustrated by a game. It's something new for me.

When I was a child, I never felt anger when I wasn't able to finish a game, a mission, or to beat a boss. I just forgot it and played something else. Or I cheated. I've never been able to finish Sonic 2 without a cheat code. I've never finished Tiny Toons Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure on Megadrive. And it was the same for Castlevania: Bloodlines. However, those were games I owned. I played them, and a lot I must add. And when I finally reached that place, that moment when I knew I wouldn't be able to go further, I just stopped. It was simple and easy.

Recently, I was able to finish Fight'N Rage on easy. And for that, I was awarded an achievement on Steam: a nipple accompanied by those words "Child's play". I could laugh about it. It's a joke after all. But I felt scorn. I felt belittled. I felt hurt. I could laugh, sure but why don't I feel happy about it?

I don't know when it started. I don't know what or who started it. But today, finishing a game is like winning a war. You become some kind of veteran. You become a gamer. An hardcore one too. You're proud. After all, you played a game.

Well, I say I don't know what started it, but I think it all came with internet. Before, I was alone, in a room, with my console. The people who I could talk about video game were rare, I could count them on one hand. And sometimes, they didn't even have the same console as me. Playing video game before was almost a secret. There was no pressure and no expectations. And that's the crux of it, the pressure.

Maybe some players thought that video games should become something serious, that it should be a mark of maturity and strength, but today playing video games come with a whole lot of expectations. You don't truly play alone anymore. If you buy a game, everybody can see what you've done with it. You've finished it on the hardest difficulty? Congratulations. Here, a badge to prove what you've accomplished. You're now a proud member of the hardcore gaming family. Yes, today playing is serious.

And I think that's why I become angry when I lose today. Because I feel the gaze of the world on my shoulder everytime I fail. How can I be part of the Family if I can't win? I don't like hard games. I'm just a lazy guy, so I try to dodge any kind of efforts. Because, you know, it's just a pain in the ass. But I still played Rogue Legacy, Cuphead or Dark Souls for example. Why? To feel legitimate. It's Dark Souls after all. It's one of the game of the (last) generation, how can I claim to be a fan of video games if I don't know what it is. So I played it and I finished it. And I did the same for Cuphead and Rogue Legacy (well not really for Rogue Legacy, I still don't have beaten the last boss). Hell, I even bought Hollow Knight. I mean, it's a metroidvania and it's a genre I love. I "had" to do it, right? That's what playing video games is about today. You don't only play them, you also display them. They are some kind of proof of your courage, something to show your valor. And somehow, losing in a game equate losing in life. And everyone can know about it.

Is it ludicrous? Maybe. I can't really say for sure that what I just wrote is the truth. I might be far off the mark. However, that's what I think is happening right now, in my mind, and maybe in the mind of a lot of people too. That's the thorn hidden inside the most deepest part of our being, that keep scratching and itching. I tried to understand what changed me, what made me feel so frustrated about my failures, and that's what I came to. Playing video games nowadays is a social interaction. I was never good in society.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
Sounds like you're taking the accomplishment of completing games way too seriously. Have you tried taking a break from games or putting more effort into other parts of your life?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I think you might be taking games too seriously. It's just a videogame, don't feel frustrated for not finishing stuff.

Also, games mocking people who play on easy is an awful trend.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Ehmmm...are you ok? Seems like you're taking this way to seriously... it's not helping that the first games you mentioned are freaking hard to this day lol

Nov 20, 2017
I think the difference of completion guilt between child and adult is the knowledge of the value of a dollar. Hard not to feel at least a little bit guilty for spending so much money on something you don't see all the way through.

The way I cope is I remind myself you can't take anything with you anyway, enjoy the fact you found time to play a game at all. Death comes for us all

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
If it makes you feel any better, the likelihood that anyone is admiring, let alone belittling you for not having some trophies or achievements is quite low. Maybe your close friends look at that sort of thing, but not really anyone else.

Oct 28, 2017
You seem to think people are actually looking at your profile, what you've played and what achievements/trophies you have. Let me make things easier for you. Nobody gives a shit.

Huggy

Oct 25, 2017
Just chill and enjoy your games, you don't need to take it so seriously. You'll probably end up hating gaming if you continue this way.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Is it ludicrous? Maybe. I can't really say for sure that what I just wrote is the truth. I might be far off the mark. However, that's what I think is happening right now, in my mind, and maybe in the mind of a lot of people too. That's the thorn hidden inside the most deepest part of our being, that keep scratching and itching. I tried to understand what changed me, what made me feel so frustrated about my failures, and that's what I came to. Playing video games nowadays is a social interaction. I was never good in society.

I'm not in a position to diagnose you, but this is very reminiscent of things that I went through dealing with depression. When I would do badly playing fighting games online, even with friends, I would feel supremely incompetent, like I could never do anything right and why do I bother trying. Try to look into getting some help if you can.

Additional details
OP
OP
AStrangerIsHere
Nov 9, 2017
Réunion
I should have written as a preamble this citation from Victor Hugo: "When I talk to you about me, I talk to you about you."

Indeed, I wasn't trying to say that I feel bad for playing video games (well, I might do a little), I was more trying to analyze why people feel angered when they lose at a game today. True, it could be something that went wrong in my life but I'm not the only one feeling that.

Twenty years ago, in high school, I lost a fair amount while playing Magic with my friends. Nowadays, I want to smash my keyboard when I do (not everytime though). Why? What's the difference? It's because I'm an adult? Ok, but those that do the same and who are not an adult, why do they do it? Why does it happen so often while playing video games? There's something there.

In my mind, it is the pressure. It's not about the fact that people could care or not about your profile like I Wanna Be The Guy wrote, it's the impression, the feeling that people do. Maybe it would be good to call it like a unconscious mechanism, something we don't know, we don't understand, something we can't pinpoint but something real, like an hidden pain. And I think that some people care about what you do in game, hence the "git gud" mentality, the "I'm proud of being a gamer", the "You don't play it right if you don't play it on hard", the gamergate and everything else. Today, a lot of people think that games are serious and this view create those expectations, this social pressure. At least, that's what I think.

If it makes you feel any better, the likelihood that anyone is admiring, let alone belittling you for not having some trophies or achievements is quite low. Maybe your close friends look at that sort of thing, but not really anyone else.

True, but not totally I think. Achievements are part of the game now and it is a picture of what people have done in a game. How you create them, how you presents them end up affecting people. They are just words, sure, but are words really innocuous? Don't they have any influence? There are intentions behind every words.

Last edited: