• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
As most of you already know, our Admin SweetNicole started a thread asking our community what should be ResetEra's slogan, and I understand that the staff gave great thought on that, since the options avaliable on that thread's pool are both pretty cool, "New Game+" and "Continue?".

Some ideas were thrown out there as jokes, like this one by BGBW :

LN5Ww00.png

But the option on the poll currently winning is the "(no slogan)", with the general argument that we shouldn't let the past define us. And while this is a strong argument that I agree with, I don't think the idea of having a slogan - or having more than one or dare I say it, several slogans - isn't conciliatory with this very idea at all. I just think that like Steve or Tony would say... we have to get bigger.

0iHYB7t.jpg

Well, I think I just came up with a great solution for the slogan of ResetEra that just struck me. The first question we should ask ourselves is "who or what is ResetEra?" and "why do we even need a slogan in the first place?".

Well, the answer for the first question in my opinion is that we are ResetEra. We are a community. ResetEra isn't a place, it's a people. So since we are this crazy community driven initiative that is bound to become a positive voice in the world of gaming, entertainment and discussing life in general, we are anything that we set ourselves up to as a community to.

So yeah, and why we need a slogan again, and why the hell are you creating a whole thread to talk about this instead of the original thread, you might be wondering. Well, I've tried to post on the poll thread, but I felt my idea was kinda lost in the shuffle there and call it narcissism, but I'm really bursting with ideas right now of some stuff that I feel it'd be pretty cool for us to discuss as a community about this.

On my post on that thread, I've said: "What if instead of "New Game +" or "Continue?" we literally use ALL of them? Can we have the slogan randomized so everytime we refresh it shows up differently and that way, the community can contribuite to several different slogans that change from time to time, based on events, holidays and stuff like that".

So my idea kinda developed to something more. What if this could be a cool way to kickstart our own merch store? How cool it would be if our growing community started a merch store like WeLoveFine.com, where we would come up with our own designs and stuff like WeLoveFine.com does? I mean, I would love if could come up with something like that and hel, I even have my very own idea for a slogan that I feel like represents to me what ResetEra is:

ResetEra
is not a place, it's a people

We could organize a thread or even a whole subforum to brainstorm ideas and stuff. I really like the idea of us coming up with. Hopefully the mods will be okay with this thread, because I really feel like we can strike something truly special with this. So my questions to the community are basically this:

How do you feel about the idea of randomized slogans that would show up each and every day? Is something like this even possible? How the staff and the community as a whole feels about the idea of creating our own merch in the molds of what WeLoveFine.com does? What other cool logos can you think of for ResetEra if something like this is possible?

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
You put a lot of thought in this OP. Should it be "it's the people"?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So basically you want to make the slogan the sequel to Thor: The Dark World.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
You put a lot of thought in this OP. Should it be "it's the people"?

Actually, this is a direct reference to something that I feel I can't answer without spoilering you and the thread, and at first I also thought it was wrong, but then I realized that it's correct and even more powerful. I don't feel like it's fair to you or the rest of the thread to give a straight answer because I feel like when you see from where this comes from, you and others will get it, haha.

Oct 27, 2017
Why not just leave it as-is and let the site evolve organically for a few months, then decide?

Adding a slogan now may skew people's perceptions or inadvertently pigeonhole the site.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's a good idea. Just get a couple dozen of em and randomize them. It's spicy.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im okay with this. But if we dont have 500 different random slogans by the end of 2017 ill be dissappointed.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As most of you already know, our Admin SweetNicole started a thread asking our community what should be ResetEra's slogan, and I understand that the staff gave great thought on that, since the options avaliable on that thread's pool are both pretty cool, "New Game+" and "Continue?".

Some ideas were thrown out there as jokes, like this one by BGBW :

LN5Ww00.png

But the option on the poll currently winning is the "(no slogan)", with the general argument that we shouldn't let the past define us. And while this is a strong argument that I agree with, I don't think the idea of having a slogan - or having more than one or dare I say it, several slogans - isn't conciliatory with this very idea at all. I just think that like Steve or Tony would say... we have to get bigger.

0iHYB7t.jpg

Well, I think I just came up with a great solution for the slogan of ResetEra that just struck me. The first question we should ask ourselves is "who or what is ResetEra?" and "why do we even need a slogan in the first place?".

Well, the answer for the first question in my opinion is that we are ResetEra. We are a community. ResetEra isn't a place, it's a people. So since we are this crazy community driven initiative that is bound to become a positive voice in the world of gaming, entertainment and discussing life in general, we are anything that we set ourselves up to as a community to.

So yeah, and why we need a slogan again, and why the hell are you creating a whole thread to talk about this instead of the original thread, you might be wondering. Well, I've tried to post on the poll thread, but I felt my idea was kinda lost in the shuffle there and call it narcissism, but I'm really bursting with ideas right now of some stuff that I feel it'd be pretty cool for us to discuss as a community about this.

On my post on that thread, I've said: "What if instead of "New Game +" or "Continue?" we literally use ALL of them? Can we have the slogan randomized so everytime we refresh it shows up differently and that way, the community can contribuite to several different slogans that change from time to time, based on events, holidays and stuff like that".

So my idea kinda developed to something more. What if this could be a cool way to kickstart our own merch store? How cool it would be if our growing community started a merch store like WeLoveFine.com, where we would come up with our own designs and stuff like WeLoveFine.com does? I mean, I would love if could come up with something like that and hel, I even have my very own idea for a slogan that I feel like represents to me what ResetEra is:

ResetEra
is not a place, it's a people

We could organize a thread or even a whole subforum to brainstorm ideas and stuff. I really like the idea of us coming up with. Hopefully the mods will be okay with this thread, because I really feel like we can strike something truly special with this. So my questions to the community are basically this:

How do you feel about the idea of randomized slogans that would show up each and every day? Is something like this even possible? How the staff and the community as a whole feels about the idea of creating our own merch in the molds of what WeLoveFine.com does? What other cool logos can you think of for ResetEra if something like this is possible?
Somebody got inspired by Asgard. Still, this isn't a bad idea. I'd rather have a good slogan than no slogan.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, this is a direct reference to something that I feel I can't answer without spoilering you and the thread, and at first I also thought it was wrong, but then I realized that it's correct and even more powerful. I don't feel like it's fair to you or the rest of the thread to give a straight answer because I feel like when you see from where this comes from, you and others will get it, haha.
I guess this might stay over my head for awhile. If it's something recent in pop/gaming culture I've been pretty cold on staying on top of things due to studies. But I know understand that it is not an error and indeed a reference.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
ResetEra
Really Soylent Green.
I now simply want a rotating slogan of Phil Hartman's SNL spoof on Heston and Soylent Green.

"Soylent Green is made of people! People! "
"Soylent White is made out of people! It's made out of people!"
"Soylent Teal is made out of people! Your new living room accent wall is made of people!"
"Soylent Cow Pies are people! They're people!"
"Soylent Green is still made out of people! They didn't change the recipe like they said they were going to! It's still people!!"

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
That "It's not a place, it's a people" quote is so appropriate (& yes, I understand the reference).

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason "Believe" worked was because it was dumb, and was used in self-referential jokes. ResetEra doesn't need an unironic, forced slogan.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So more or less Minecraft. I'll pass.

I think the name of the forum itself sets forth a strong message about what this place is.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
That isn't how you build a strong slogan/brand. This forum doesn't have to copy every element or tradition from the old place.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Yep. Just got back home from said thing.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like the idea of no slogan. I think they are a bit cheesy. If I had to choose, then new game+ would be it, but still prefer none.

erpg

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
I voted no slogans because I didn't want to read the cringy phrases suggested, and now you want to give me a random one every time I visit?

What did I ever do to deserve this?

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I guess this might stay over my head for awhile. If it's something recent in pop/gaming culture I've been pretty cold on staying on top of things due to studies. But I know understand that it is not an error and indeed a reference.

I swear that when you get it, you will remember this and think "FUCK YEAH". Trust me on that but for now, strong focus in what you need to tackle first, mate!

That isn't how you build a strong slogan/brand. This forum doesn't have to copy every element or tradition from the old place.

That wouldn't be an "old place" thing though. It'd be our thing and would evolve as we do. If ResetEra would sell a t-shirt with ResetEra: It's not a place, it's a people, I'd buy that in a heartbeat. I know I'm partial to the idea, but I legit think I'm into something here.

That "It's not a place, it's a people" quote is so appropriate (& yes, I understand the reference).

I saw that in the same day I've joined ResetEra, I was in the second wave. I legit almost cried and thought about us when I saw it. Yeah, I'm one of those guys that gets emotional with stuff like that, haha.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
This idea reminds me of the text that appears when Discord is loading. It's not a bad idea, but in the end these probably wouldn't be slogans but rather a bunch of randomized gamer 'in' jokes.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
This idea reminds me of the text that appears when Discord is loading. It's not a bad idea, but in the end these probably wouldn't be slogans but rather a bunch of randomized gamer 'in' jokes.

I think the Discord loading thing would be taking my idea and running to its extremes, and that wouldn't be a necessarily good idea. What I'm suggesting is basically a set of randomized slogans picked by the community from selected by the staff or commit choices. The WeLoveFine idea for merch would basically be like WeLoveFine, where the person with the idea for a design would get a small percentage for his "idea" while the staff gets the most of it to recover investment and pay mods and staff. Basically, my idea is to make a set of slogans made by the community and voted by the community, so we don't pick one, but several from time to time.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing wrong about being a dork, though.

It's a gaming enthusiast forum, comes with the territory.

That being said I still don't feel like a slogan is the way to go. Is the forum a product/brand that we're actively trying to grow? I always thought of it as an online social space (pub) for people to discuss common interests. Slogans and the like seem like a sleazy business thing.

jjreamPop

Oct 25, 2017
If not a randomized slogan, I like the idea someone had of a Doodle-of-the-Day, like what Google does. Always geared toward gaming, of course. People could sign up much like for OT threads, and the logo doodle is only revealed the day of.