• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Saw this on reddit (apologies if it has already been posted).

This should be a bigger deal.

ce671d85wk8v.jpg

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
It's abhorrent that this has gone on for as long as it has but it's just "accepted" as part of gaming now.

Sooner it's classed as gambling the better.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's scummy but not exclusive to FIFA or this ad. Advertising campaigns have been shoving micro transactions, season passes, battle passes, etc., down people's throats for years.

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
Disgusting. I don't care about basically anything, but inducing childs into gambling adiction... I think that is the only thing that puts me on my nerve.

That fucking illness destroys not only individuals lifes but whole families, some cases are worse than drug addiction.

I hope that the European Comission strictly bans this shit for advertisong (same as alcohol and cigarettes), including the advertising in football teams shirts.

Disgusting.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
As long as not more countries oppose this, it will keep happening. And every time a country decides to act against this gambling, people here side with the companies.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
I hate mtx so so much, but the way this is advertised is not much different that collecting cards when I was younger, just digital.

what's the difference?

EDIT: I mean the whole gambling aspect, when I was young I collected football cards. I wouldn't say that was gambling. What is the difference here?

OP
OP
Typhoon20

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's scummy but not exclusive to FIFA or this ad. Advertising campaigns have been shoving micro transactions, season passes, battle passes, etc., down people's throats for years.

A battle pass or MTX (where you know what you're getting) isn't quite the same as encouraging kids to basically gamble on a game (which is what FUT is).

For the people asking it's Smyths.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A battle pass or MTX (where you know what you're getting) isn't quite the same as encouraging kids to basically gamble on a game (which is what FUT is).

For the people asking it's Smyths.
I agree. What I was getting at is that battle passes and season passes have been normalized and an accepted part of gaming and marketing, which paved the way for this garbage to now be acceptable.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
EA truly are the scum of the Earth in the video game industry. Hopefully this magazine will make its way to governments around the world to be used to heavily regularize loot boxes.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I can't believe I'm saying this but I really hope some regulatory bodies crack down on this industry. It's out of control and proves time and time again that it will not self-regulate.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
I hate mtx so so much, but the way this is advertised is not much different that collecting cards when I was younger, just digital.

what's the difference?

EDIT: I mean the whole gambling aspect, when I was young I collected football cards. I wouldn't say that was gambling. What is the difference here?
Can you trade the cards in FIFA when you earn them? Sell them or exchange with someone? Do the cards move forward to the next game? Never played a FIFA game since FIFA 2000.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. What I was getting at is that battle passes and season passes have been normalized and an accepted part of gaming and marketing, which paved the way for this garbage to now be acceptable.

This has been going on for longer than the battle passes. Like way longer. First FUT was in Fifa '09. It blew up by Fifa 12 and has been growing ever since.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Can you trade the cards in FIFA when you earn them? Sell them or exchange with someone? Do the cards move forward to the next game? Never played a FIFA game since FIFA 2000.

I don't really know if you can trade but you can sell them I think for in game points I think.

may least I'm sure that's how it used to work and I'm sure that's how they operated the scams

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I can't believe I'm saying this but I really hope some regulatory bodies crack down on this industry. It's out of control and proves time and time again that it will not self-regulate.
It really is. Predatory gambling-like practices that involve incredible grinding or MTX are common in multiplayer games. Some games I boot up and it feels like the games are designed to be as addictive as possible.

It's even worse in the mobile market.

Woodsey

Oct 29, 2017
Went through the comments and apparently its Smyths from the UK where the ad is in.

Might be very slightly different then, Smyths is a toy store so this would be a catalogue showing items they sell. Not a kids magazine as such.

Still, scummy move - and I should know as my kid is crazy into FUT and I'm constantly asked to buy him points.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Shut this shit down and go after them all.

Corporate greed needs in check. It's completely out of control

Oct 27, 2017
Football has an utterly insidious relationship with gambling as it is. Might as well get the kids going early so they can be browsing the in-play markets like a pretend stock broker or living "The Ladbrokes Life" by the time they're 17.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I'm uninformed, but I'm guessing that you have to use real money for the Fifa Points?

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Worth noting, if you're in the UK, that the government is currently taking thoughts and opinions on loot boxes through a questionnaire. There are two versions, one for gamers, and one for game developers, to give their opinions and experiences about loot boxes (positive or negative, though... come on).

Here's the link to the questionnaire.

I should run a quick forum search to see if there's a thread on this yet...

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
You can't trade them but you can sell them in an auction house equivalent. They do not carry forward to the next game, when a new FIFA comes out basically everything you've earned in the previous one is completely gone. I believe they give you rewards based on how much you did in the previous game but you don't get any of the cards you already had.

Rush_Khan

Oct 26, 2017
I'm uninformed, but I'm guessing that you have to use real money for the Fifa Points?
Yes, but you can also use in-game FIFA coins that you earn for winning matches, tournaments, etc. However, the value of a FIFA coin is much, much lower than a FIFA point, and it takes much longer to accumulate coins up to the FIFA points equivalent, to the point where the only viable way of purchasing the packs with the highest chances (still 0.01% for the top players) is buy purchasing FIFA points.

What's even more stupid is that, for every new game release, all those cards you purchased do not transfer, so you start from scratch! And the cycle repeats.

I was addicted in 2016, but managed to stop buying packs in 2017 before quitting FUT in 2018. I consider myself really fortunate, because this mode is designed to be addictive. When you're on a winning streak, they'll put you on a losing streak and make you desperate to buy better players.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
can someone explain what this is ? don't play fifa.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

what's the difference?

Not sure about football cards, but I remember being able to send off for specific stickers to complete sticker albums when I was younger, and not too high a price. That's a massive difference right there.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know where is that magazine, but where i'm from this is illegal, instant lawsuit material....

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
As a gacha player, it's always crazy to me to think that FIFA players have a wipe every year.

Yeah I think eventually that'll change but the way the game is set up, they never go beyond 99 rated and even this year when Ronaldo and Messi are nearing the end of their careers they're still low 90s. A few upgrades doesn't leave them much room.

FIFA is all about the special promos at this point. The team of the week is a joke after a month.

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
Yes you can trade them. No they're not usable in the next game. Same as football stickers in that regard.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think eventually that'll change but the way the game is set up, they never go beyond 99 rated and even this year when Ronaldo and Messi are nearing the end of their careers they're still low 90s. A few upgrades doesn't leave them much room.

FIFA is all about the special promos at this point. The team of the week is a joke after a month.
Yeah i think they'll probably change that one day. Maybe you'll keep your players, but all will be about taking care of your players each week, so they can play better etc... But i don't really see a pushback coming from the FIFA players, regarding the wipe, which is the craziest part to me.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly do not get the concern around this. Blind pack trading cards have been a thing forever and it's never raised a tiny bit of concern but now that the cards are digital suddenly it's a problem?

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
No difference between this any other collectible product, such as Pokémon cards, telling kids they need to "collect them all."

Rush_Khan

Oct 26, 2017
At the very least (and this is the absolute minimum), what is needed is a law stating that companies must list the exact probability rates of every item obtainable in a loot boxes.

Haven't played FUT in years, but I recall EA listing player cards with 85+ ratings having a probability rate of "<1%". People are stupid and read this as "1%", when in reality the chances are closer to 0.01%.

People aren't completely stupid, though. If they see the chance of getting Messi in a pack is exactly 0.001%, they might actually stop buying packs.