• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What should we call ourselves, a humble and noble people?

• Resettlers

Votes: 337 50.9%
  • Reffers

Votes: 32 4.8%
  • Reseteers

Votes: 108 16.3%
  • Children of Finale, The Fireworker

Votes: 79 11.9%
  • Please stop getting distracted by the poll

Votes: 106 16.0%

• Total voters

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Well said. It feels great to be part of something this ambitious, let's hope we can all create a place free of common Internet vitriol.

I like this.

Thanks, I think it's appropriate. Erudite means "having or showing great knowledge or learning," and that's us. Together as a group we represent a great deal of knowledge from our diverse and varied backgrounds and individually we are also learning from one another.

So it both sounds cool and has deep meaning shit too.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Great post.

Name-wise, I liked the suggestion of "Erans" - I saw it a couple of days ago in the general RE Discord.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like we should be clinking glasses together after reading that. Great post!

V-Faction

Oct 25, 2017
The New World... A place where people who will begin the next generation gather!! He who conquers this sea will become the "Pirate King"!!!

-- One Piece

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
Voted for Children of the Finale, lol.

Well said, man. Let's make our new home better for everyone to resettle in.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would go with simply "resetter". It sounds video gamey/

Resettlers implies too much we came from somewhere else and in time this community will have many people who didnt come over in the great migration.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States

Resettlers implies too much we came from somewhere else and in time this community will have many people who didnt come over in the great migration.

We are only Resettlers to begin with, in my mind. I'm sure something else will normalize over time. I like having a word that celebrates our inauguration, though.

Sober

Oct 25, 2017
Great post. One of the things I loved about GAF was the communities that came from a relatively simple gaming forum. With this new site, I think it's a good time to take stock and see that we don't take all those things for granted and move forward in a positive way!

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we ever spoke before, but I just wanted to say that I really appreciate your thoughtful posts. I always enjoyed reading your perspective on things.

Also Resettlers is too perfect to not be a thing

Oct 25, 2017
I know I and the rest of REgals (GirlGAF who?) are hopeful (albeit with low expectations due to having been burned in the past, but hey) that this new community will be a better and more inclusive place for us, PoC, LGBT+ and other minorities. Let's make this good y'all ;)
While I can't speak for everyone, as a person of color I will do everything I can to make this forum a safe and inviting place for everyone, in-line with the guidelines laid out in the OP.

Mr. Blue Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Beautiful post as always Finale. Man, the fracturing of the community this past week made me realize as someone who mainly lurked most of the time without posting how much I took it for granted. Getting access to news and leaks without contributing or connecting with anyone, it really sucked when it all seemed to all really be gone. This rebirth's made me realize that I shouldn't just enjoy the contributions of everyone here but make my own as well. I hope that I can truly become a real part of the community this time around and help make it a good environment.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I know I and the rest of REgals (GirlGAF who?) are hopeful (albeit with low expectations due to having been burned in the past, but hey) that this new community will be a better and more inclusive place for us, PoC, LGBT+ and other minorities. Let's make this good y'all ;)

I think my greatest disappointment in our shared history was promises that were not fulfilled. People joined forums in the past and were promised equality and accessibility only to be met with alternate shades of prejudice. This is unacceptable. We have the chance to prevent that from ever happening here - we control our own destiny. I want this forum to deliver on the promises our old one did not.

Being "better than elsewhere" is not good enough this time. Not for me.

I hope you find the home here you deserve.

Discharger

Oct 25, 2017
Words to live by. I enjoyed my time on GAF, but even at the best of times, there was still ample room for improvement. Now that we're getting a fresh start, why don't we hold ourselves to a higher standard?

Agreed on all fronts, especially that nobody should feel unwelcome or discriminated against.

Deleted member 6769

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phenomenal post, 100% agree. It does not take a lot of effort to be respectful towards others, even if you disagree with them. Recognizing other's humanity is literally the bare minimum we can do as a community to make it a better place!

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Beautifully put! It's incredible what everyone was able to accomplish, and in such a short period of time. Makes me proud as heck to be part of the community.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Resettlers implies the old forum in the name forever. We can do better!

Nice thread, Finale.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I really appreciate the FAQ/rules explicitly pushing for more inclusion and going against some of the casual cruelness of "gamers being gamers" that gets directed at devs and press. Hopefully we can build a kinder and more supportive community here.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
I really appreciate the FAQ/rules explicitly pushing for more inclusion and going against some of the casual cruelness of "gamers being gamers" that gets directed at devs and press.
That was important to me and I agree, glad it's there.

Lovely post, OP. I lurked most of my time on the old place (over 10 years) and never contributed much, which I now regret. The past few days really made it clear to me how much I liked this community and this new beginning pushes me to do more, be better, and indeed follow what you've said.

And... Resetters makes the most sense :p

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Fantastic, sticky-worthy post.

These early days are going to be pivotal in setting the tone going forward. I'm not always the most positive person around, but I'm increasingly optimistic that we could all make this place something special.

Anyway, I vote for the unlisted, "Dystopian YA" option: Setters

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

I like this too and don't like Resettler for the same exact reason you posted. Maybe Resettler can be that first generation user, but down the line, Resetter would be better.

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Finale, though I was mostly a lurker back in The Old World, I always held immense respect for both you, and the way you conducted yourself (as well, as--if I'm being honest--your wordsmithing. As a writer, I am mighty jealous!). This thread serves an an excellent call to arms, and genuinely deserves to be stickied on the site somewhere. You're astonishingly venerable.

I'll take this rebirth as an opportunity to better embed myself within the community, rather than mainly just watching from the sidelines like Before. It should be fun!

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic post, as a brown person the typical environment that sadly has become synonymous with gamer culture is something that truly wish to not be part of, it disgusts and saddens me that that type of behavior is something that is not allowed but encouraged in those spaces.

But I loved gaming as a hobby since I was a child, and I'm truly happy to see the birth of places that have as policies inclusiveness and respect for each other like Waypoint and now Reset Era, where we can talk to one another like proper human beings.

Anyway enough of me rambling, I just wanted to say it's good to be here, have a great day or night everyone.