• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What should we call ourselves, a humble and noble people?

• Resettlers

Votes: 337 50.9%
  • Reffers

Votes: 32 4.8%
  • Reseteers

Votes: 108 16.3%
  • Children of Finale, The Fireworker

Votes: 79 11.9%
  • Please stop getting distracted by the poll

Votes: 106 16.0%

• Total voters

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Great post, its been weird the past week and seeing how much of a bubble I had around Gaf. Viewing it mostly as a progressive, (more-ish)well-reasoned place and that aberrations from that belief as mostly outliers, not as a community that fought its hostile nature and that I had turned a blind eye to some awful stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Well said, sir.

I am very optimistic that this forum, given the circumstances of its birth, is in a perfect position to create something special; to take the best parts of the old and make it even better. I was just a lurker, previously, but having this community nearly snatched away has made me ready and willing to get more involved. I have no doubt that many others feel the same way.

Cheers!

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Finale, though I was mostly a lurker back in The Old World, I always held immense respect for both you, and the way you conducted yourself (as well, as--if I'm being honest--your wordsmithing. As a writer, I am mighty jealous!). This thread serves an an excellent call to arms, and genuinely deserves to be stickied on the site somewhere. You're astonishingly venerable.

I'll take this rebirth as an opportunity to better embed myself within the community, rather than mainly just watching from the sidelines like Before. It should be fun!

I've been seeing a lot of posts like this, both publicly and privately, and I really like hearing it. There've been so many old lurkers and background members who feel invigorating to be part of something new and that's exactly the energy that will help carry us forward. I hope you are loud and proud here.

Also, thank you for your kind words... I posted a lot on the old forum but I never really knew if people liked hearing from me or if what I was saying resonated with anybody. It means a lot to me that anyone found value and meaning in my posts. That's what I strove for.

The old site became that. And it's not pretty.

Truth... not to linger on it, but the Old World is unrecognizable. There's no going back. Burn the ships, I say.

Last edited:

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Legend post, per usual. I had read shown your previous google docs version from the discord to a few folks, although you had left it unsigned it was easy to know who wrote it. We all agreed that it's great thinking.

I prefer reffers long term but I do like resetllers in the short term.

Doesn't matter too much. What matters is what you wrote, which is meaningful and in the right spirit.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Reading most of Finale's posts, for some reason I always had the idea that being thoughtful, mindful, respectful and insightful was simply something that came naturally for him, a default attribute of his thinking and writing. It's only reading this OP that one realizes these things are as much a conscious, deliberate choice for him as for anyone else (which, of course, makes him all the more laudable). The board is already better just by having him and others like him.

As for the name, I like Erans, for orthogonality with the already used [Topic]Era to refer to communities, and, franjly, because it's short and I'm a lazy fuck.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I don't want to quote them all because it would be self-indulgent, but thank you everyone for your kind words here directed at me specifically. It makes me warm inside.

forpush

Oct 25, 2017
having never really been involved in the other website I joined this place on a whim and honestly seeing stuff like this post here really makes me feel good about this being a community i'm going to want to take part in!

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
This is a lovely sentiment, and I think there's a huge amount of positivity that will carry things forward on a really great note. Here's to putting the right foot forward.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I like the pun of Resettlers, plus it's fun to have an adjective form that's not what people expect, like how Indianans always insist that you have to call them Hoosiers for some reason.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
For some reason I completely missed the Undertale reference in the title until now. Which is shame on me, because I loved that bit in the game and fits so well here.
Man, Undertale is great. So heartwarming.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Finale Fireworker, I think I'm starting to love you <3

Now really, good post, agree 100%, or more, if possible. Its in our hands to make this place very special for everyone.

PD: Voted for Reffers :p

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Resetters is the right name, you monsters. We chose to hit reset!
Otherwise, this also has to do with the moderation, but I think when someone is called out for bigotry, false arguments, etc. it's important to hit a middle point in the response. In the sense that we cannot allow people to constanly derail meaningful discussions because they haven't done their research, but warnings and bans should point to this fact and somewhat on the "right direction".
But the admin team already raised this point, so I'm not worried. This new forum is really exciting.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
In the spirit of this thread, I hope I can be excellent to people here.

I like how this place seemingly wants to be better than what came before, rather than simply recreate it.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
In the spirit of this thread, I hope I can be excellent to people here.

I like how this place seemingly wants to be better than what came before, rather than simply recreate it.

One of my favorite things is that people who previously only lurked as outsiders are stepping forward to be part of the community. That will make us stronger because it brings new voices who are, in a sense, already old friends.

Since the inaugural minute, baby. Where else would I be? This is my home. :)

Super Amikami

Oct 28, 2017
Great post OP. Love the positivity in our new home. With that said, I don't doubt that we will have our share of struggles as a community and a young one at that, but everyone's energy and the new approach to moderation is giving me good hope. It's gonna be a hell of a ride.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Great post OP. Love the positivity in our new home. With that said, I don't doubt that we will have our share of struggles as a community and a young one at that, but everyone's energy and the new approach to moderation is giving me good hope. It's gonna be a hell of a ride.

This is definitely true. Right now there is a lot of positive energy and it shows in our posts. In time, we will undoubtedly bicker more and have more contentious threads. It is human nature to console war - is it not?

But if we remember what we wanted when we came here and always try to come back to our values, even years from now, we will be better than we were.

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
The fate of this forum depends on the staff. They've gotta hold themselves to a high standard and do the same with the community. At the end of the day, they have the power to silence people and set the tone for all discussion.

Certain detractor sites are already calling everyone here "REEEEEsetters" which I though was pretty funny.

Some people here react very strongly to things.

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just a bit of a warning. Growing up, "Reffers" was kind of a derogatory word for native Cuban kids who couldn't speak English well.

Oct 27, 2017
Great post; thank you! The only thing I'll add is that this before you post, the most important thing you can do is listen. I'm currently studying ethnography, and I recently heard a definition of listening that I'll share:

Listening is being prepared to be changed by what you hear.

Welcome, everyone. I'm really looking forward to listening (and contributing) in our new home.

AYF 001

Oct 28, 2017
Resettler is a good adjective to describe many of the people who came here, but it lingers on the past and is exclusive to those who will later come without the old baggage.

Reseteer implies an active behavior, and "All for one, and one for all" is a good allegory to base that behavior on. I like this more.