An Update On The Mod Team!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Bunch of names I like there.
Bunch of members I like there too.
Congrats all!
It's incredibly satisfying to read the lists of Era staff and think "oh hey, I know that name; they're super solid." It's also somewhat disconcerting to be suddenly made aware of notable posters whose names I haven't even registered in passing. "Sp1ke Lee Roth 69 is a new mod? Huh. I have never encountered this person on these forums."

Oct 26, 2017
also why is not Ana on the complete staff roster, her profile says Moderator

Be nice to Ana

edit: I guess she’s not anymore, as she is no longer listed as a mod on her profile

Last edited:

Enazrat

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well I just wanted to say that I have been on Era for a while now and I am really impressed by the quality of the mod.
Bar 1 or 2 cases I have yet to see a debatable sanction whatsoever, it's fair, accurate, clear. To show sanctions publicly was a bold move that really pays off I think.
You are way ahead compared with other forums, congrats to everyone on the team and to the people recruting.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly when I see Professor Beef I think of a really specific incident where someone was making some dumbass argument with us and then the guy started sounding like he was cutting a wrestling promo. And I have a slight bit of regret, because I didn't think about adding Professor Beef to the mix so his chances of winnin' drastic go down.

Oct 27, 2017
The issue with too many mods is potential for less consistency in moderation, but that's less concerning here since it's very transparent with threads/posts staying open with clear warnings posted etc. Thus any inconsistencies will be very apparent and easy for the mod team captains to remedy.
Our focus here is to be as transparent as we can when we hand out warnings and bans. There's also a report function in which all moderators are able to see and review. This will help us as we work together in moderating this platform in a fair manner.
This is great. I'm all for transparency. (Well, for the most part.) It helps prevent arbitrary moderation decisions and helps educate the community about proper behavior. And sorry for bringing up Gaf, but my problem with their moderation policy was that the rules were really hazy and since the first warning always seemed to be a banning (with the offending message often being deleted), it was impossible to learn what was expected of you.

So it always makes me super happy to see the warning notes on top of a posting. It means that the health of discussion culture in this community is seen as a worthy goal that maybe requires some additional work from the moderator teams, but eventually results in a more pleasant experience for all of us.

I'm just happy to be here.

Ron Paul

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
To whomever said we have too many mods....

~30,500 members. 32 moderators. Roughly 1 mod for every 1,000 members.
~0.1% of posters are mods.

Pretty solid ratio imo

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Perhaps Beef is getting hate for being an honest cop.

This is great. I'm all for transparency. (Well, for the most part.) It helps prevent arbitrary moderation decisions and helps educate the community about proper behavior. And sorry for bringing up Gaf, but my problem with their moderation policy was that the rules were really hazy and since the first warning always seemed to be a banning (with the offending message often being deleted), it was impossible to learn what was expected of you.
It'd be interesting to see this forum experiment. Having a public area where all the bans are listed seems like a good idea if you want transparency.

Does red, bolded text in a post by a mod = banhammer brandish / moderator muscle flex? Besides the official warnings and ban rationales on certain offending posts, I have also seen a couple mods just use red, bolded text in regular replies to posters. It seems a little bit weird and intimidating – especially when the same message and tone in a normal reply by a mod would probably get the point across.

Selina

Gotham's Finest
Administrator
Oct 28, 2017
Does red, bolded text in a post by a mod = banhammer brandish / moderator muscle flex? Besides the official warnings and ban rationales on certain offending posts, I have also seen a couple mods just use red, bolded text in regular replies to posters. It seems a little bit weird and intimidating – especially when the same message and tone in a normal reply by a mod would probably get the point across.
It's just to make sure people see it and know it's a mod posting, it's easy to overlook regular text.

Harley Quinn

User was banned for account sharing.
Oct 27, 2017
Arkham Asylum
If I want to complain about the possibility of double standard modding, what’s the best way to do it?

I got a warning for asking a derailer not to derail a thread and to be nicer to each other. The derailer obviously did not get any warnings:

You are derailing the thread and thinking so little of other users. You don't expect anyone to "absorb the information", I mean seriously?

Quotes from the frequent posters in your lovely thread:

Can we as a community be more friendly, open-minded, and accepting please? Not calling to have games purged or defaming game designers/other users in this forum.
This is not about me but what if other users got a biased moderation in the future? What’s the best way for us to handle such issues?

Please guide us! Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.