• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Regarding the PC Engine. It would be a big shame if an Engine PC is made but does not come with a CDRom drive included, or at least, a USB port to which one can connect an external one.

Now for the Gen/MD, one could argue that the CD is niche and isn't really needed to enjoy the majority of its library. But the PCE/TG16 without the CD is practically pointless. :/ (Hucards vs CDs in my library are at best 1/10th of the CD games.)

TheDeep1974

Oct 26, 2017
Now for the Gen/MD, one could argue that the CD is niche and isn't really needed to enjoy the majority of its library. But the PCE/TG16 without the CD is practically pointless. :/ (Hucards vs CDs in my library are at best 1/10th of the CD games.)

Exactly. I already own a PC Engine DUO which I would gladly sell if I get a complete replacement from Analogue.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

I'd strongly argue against that view. Mega CD was a superb add-on. I've always felt it gets unfairly dunked on because of the 32x, it's like guilt by association. I agree that it's not as significant as the PCE-CD though.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I'd strongly argue against that view. Mega CD was a superb add-on. I've always felt it gets unfairly dunked on because of the 32x, it's like guilt by association. I agree that it's not as significant as the PCE-CD though.
Well, that's fine and I get what you mean, but to me it's still more or less niche as I only knew a single person who had it in my large high school (versus about 30 of us that had various versions of the TGCD/Duo/Arcade card setups).
The SCD is a nice add-on but even without it, Gen/MD is still has a great library to play. Without the PCE's CD library, it's barely worth it for Hucards alone.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah. I'd actually like to see a separate CD attachment that fits the design of the Mega SG with the innards of the Mega CD handled via FPGA as well. Not sure how feasible that is - would be a huge challenge for sure - but it would also be amazing.

Not to beat the dead 32x horse but if they somehow put out their own 32x attachment that also somehow contained a Sega CD core in it would be perfect.

The closest analog(hurrr) to any of their products in the past would be the FDS for the nt mini which they were content just leaving as an add-on, so chances are they will do the same here. Anything is possible though and etc.. etc..

I guess something worth mentioning is that I'm sure they view producing something with a disc drive in it as far more feasible than essentially completely remaking the Famicom Disk System, but yes, I think you're right. Despite some comments I've been reading in this thread I still think it's going to be awhile before they tackle anything that has a disc drive built in. When they do decide to go in that direction, PS1 will definitely be the first system they tackle. I just would be surprised if its the next system they tackle.

3DO or CD-I? Yeah, I can't see that. Preservation might be a large part of their business - but they're still a business, and I can't really see people clambering for a brand new 3DO or CD-I. Hell, even a new Dreamcast might be a hard sell from a business perspective - it's a console that's beloved by many, but still incredibly niche reletive to the SNES, Genesis and PS1. It would still do fairly well sales-wise, but it's a much smaller audience then the tens of millions that bought the other consoles.

Yeah, I think before they got into FPGAs they were a little more concerned about preservation

Honestly, I could say that as a reason for them to not want to tackle that system.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Lunar Sega CD prices are making my eyes water looking at eBay. Didn't realize hey climbed this high.

Edit: Wait, so I can just plug in my actual Sega CD attachment into this and go?

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Lunar Sega CD prices are making my eyes water looking at eBay. Didn't realize hey climbed this high.

Edit: Wait, so I can just plug in my actual Sega CD attachment into this and go?

Yes, that seems to be the only option.

Edit: those prices don't seem that crazy considering what they were going for 15 years ago (when I bought them)

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Yes, that seems to be the only option.

Edit: those prices don't seem that crazy considering what they were going for 15 years ago (when I bought them)
Now I regret only buying PSX versions of the two. Oh well, might spring for them anyway if/when I get this. Love those games. Hopefully my Sega CD still works considering I haven't touched it in probably a decade.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Now I regret only buying PSX versions of the two. Oh well, might spring for them anyway if/when I get this. Love those games. Hopefully my Sega CD still works considering I haven't touched it in probably a decade.

The two versions are very different. I definitely prefer the Sega CD versions, but I know not everybody agrees.

SmarmySmurf

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Well, that's fine and I get what you mean, but to me it's still more or less niche as I only knew a single person who had it in my large high school (versus about 30 of us that had various versions of the TGCD/Duo/Arcade card setups).
The SCD is a nice add-on but even without it, Gen/MD is still has a great library to play. Without the PCE's CD library, it's barely worth it for Hucards alone.

I don't know how you can call SCD niche and then argue in favor of an entire platform that was extremely niche in any configuration. The TG to SCD ratio in the West was absolutely not 30:1, it was more like 3:1 worldwide (and likely lower in the west). I think maybe you went to a very unusual school. =P

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
has anyone had to cancel their preorder and if so could you tell me how?

I need to cancel mine but I can't find a way to do it at all.

Thanks.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I don't know how you can call SCD niche and then argue in favor of an entire platform that was extremely niche in any configuration. The TG to SCD ratio in the West was absolutely not 30:1, it was more like 3:1 worldwide (and likely lower in the west). I think maybe you went to a very unusual school. =P
Practically keeping the legacy of the system BC despite the number of revisions it had isn't niche for its main region. The west only got 1 or two depending on your area of the "west".
IIRC the combined total of all PCE CD/Duo versions outsold the SCD 3:1 WW; something like 6mil to 2mil, but of course not in the west (c'mon, doncha remember how hard they tried to sell the TurboDuo and NEC still offloaded it to another company?). Unusual HS? Nah. Rich kids who copied my imported JP game taste? Absolutely. ;)

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I know that someone had mentioned emailing their customer support team and getting their pre-order canceled. Not sure what the turnaround time is like, but it seems to have worked for someone.
Thanks. I couldn't find an email address but it's sort of hidden behind a "Submit a request" tab.

We'll see how it goes. Appreciate the help.

Oct 29, 2017

Another thing to consider is that adding built-in support for the TGCD would be a lot easier than the Mega CD, because it's basically just a CD drive. Unlike the Mega CD, which includes an additional 68000 CPU, its own audio chip and its own custom VDP chip (with support for things like sprite scaling and rotation), the TGCD is (for the most part) a dumb terminal that just adds CD ROM support. So there would be a lot less engineering work required for a FPGA implementation.

Nov 3, 2017
BS-X
You can pretty much say the same thing about the SNES and the Genesis - most of the important games from those consoles have been rereleased dozens of times, it's not particularly difficult to get ahold of digital copies of the most notable games.

Eh, not exactly; The Nintendo VC library is hardly gonna sate your itch for most licensed games from the era - typically Nintendo focuses on it's absolute biggest sellers and it's vanity entries like Urban Champion and Balloon Fight first, then the good third party games if you're willing to wait until near the end of a console gen's life cycle. This wouldn't be a big downer if there was any way for my NES carts to interface with a Switch, but that's never gonna happen.

Sega has licensed console clones that had Genesis cart slots in the past... Unfortunately, those were made by AtGames, and thus now Sega's library is associated with bad quality emulation. :(

Meanwhile, even back with the PS3, you could pop in your PS1 disc and you'd be playing it on a HDMI Playstation, with relative ease. And I don't recall anyone complaining about PS1 emulaiton on PS3 or PS4 to this date - it was like it was just nailed from the get-go and that was that.

That's the thing that makes FPGA a harder sell than the previous Analogues - Sony has a quality solution for it's legacy support that Nintendo and Sega do not, and thus the FPGA is competing with it.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
^^ yeah. Order an SNT now as it will ship immediately, then pre-order the Sg in a few weeks/months. Isn't coming out until April so unless it sells out (which usually happens one model at a time so you'll know it's coming) there is loads of time

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
SmiteOfHand You already preordered didn't you? I'm still on the fence about this.

Another thing to consider is that adding built-in support for the TGCD would be a lot easier than the Mega CD, because it's basically just a CD drive. Unlike the Mega CD, which includes an additional 68000 CPU, its own audio chip and its own custom VDP chip (with support for things like sprite scaling and rotation), the TGCD is (for the most part) a dumb terminal that just adds CD ROM support. So there would be a lot less engineering work required for a FPGA implementation.
True! And the only actual difference is the RAM on the system cards. I recall that company (something onion) made a PCE ODE that was fairly well received. I'm sure Kevtris could make a PCE solution much better.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
SmiteOfHand You already preordered didn't you? I'm still on the fence about this.
I'm not entirely sure. I saw an HDMI mega drive and just started clicking wildly and blacked out and then money was gone so I think I am good.

It looks pretty safe for anyone who wants to sit on the fence with this one. Other than the wait it hasn't been difficult to get an SNT so will probably be the same here. Like many my preference would be to have these cores in one box. At this point the FPGA in the SNT isn't exactly accomplishing a whole lot that an integrated chip couldn't so at this stage of the game it feels like wasted potential. The Mega Sg at least has the adapters so as far as the strengths of an FPGA system it looks like the better of the two, imo. Not counting the library of the respective systems, of course, just in terms of what makes an FPGA based box interesting.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm not entirely sure. I saw an HDMI mega drive and just started clicking wildly and blacked out and then money was gone so I think I am good.

It looks pretty safe for anyone who wants to sit on the fence with this one. Other than the wait it hasn't been difficult to get an SNT so will probably be the same here. Like many my preference would be to have these cores in one box. At this point the FPGA in the SNT isn't exactly accomplishing a whole lot that an integrated chip couldn't so at this stage of the game it feels like wasted potential. The Mega Sg at least has the adapters so as far as the strengths of an FPGA system it looks like the better of the two, imo. Not counting the library of the respective systems, of course, just in terms of what makes an FPGA based box interesting.

If you're looking for an all in one FPGA console you might want to look into MisTer. It uses the same chip that is in the SuperNt and Mega Sg and there's cores available for a variety of systems including Genesis, Master System, TG-16, Game Boy and NES. Not sure myself how the cores stack up against Kevtris's cores but it's your best bet if you just want one machine for multiple consoles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jb8YPXc8DA

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably skip this one, wasn't much of a Sega kid.

If you were a Sega kid, I can't recommend this enough. The Super Nt is a brilliant little piece of hardware. Got me back into SNES cart collecting and for whatever stupid emotional reason, playing old games off a cartridge just feels more real than loading up a ROM. I still have my original SNES kicking around but at this point it's just an obsolete showpiece.

Last edited:

TheDeep1974

Oct 26, 2017
I am really enjoying SNT with jailbreak. I sold my 1Chip SFC and Everdrive. I don't care for game collecting, but I want to play in way which is as close to the original as possible with HDMI. I have now ordered Mega SG and look forward for PC Engine (with CD) and Neogeo devices :)

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
If you're looking for an all in one FPGA console you might want to look into MisTer. It uses the same chip that is in the SuperNt and Mega Sg and there's cores available for a variety of systems including Genesis, Master System, TG-16, Game Boy and NES. Not sure myself how the cores stack up against Kevtris's cores but it's your best bet if you just want one machine for multiple consoles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jb8YPXc8DA

Kevtris's cores are essential bug free for all commercial games done by a paid professional. The cores on MiSTer on the other hand are works in progress by hobbyists. You can't go in expecting the same level of quality.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kevtris's cores are essential bug free for all commercial games done by a paid professional. The cores on MiSTer on the other hand are works in progress by hobbyists. You can't go in expecting the same level of quality.
This is true. The Genesis core for the MiSTer has the audio all wrong and I don't believe it even has the scaling options found in Analogue's stuff. That'll probably remain true for a long while still. I think in the long term MiSTer could become great though.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017

Haha. Alright~ I'll wait to see you how like it then cuz I'm not dying for this (sadly or not, playing a few Gen games via RA on a SFCmini works for me these days).

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
With Sega now stuck in my head, I fired up Gunstar Heroes today for the first time since I was a teen - wow what a game! I played it all the way through to completion and loved every action packed minutes!

What retro Sega game should I try next?

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
With Sega now stuck in my head, I fired up Gunstar Heroes today for the first time since I was a teen - wow what a game! I played it all the way through to completion and loved every action packed minutes!

What retro Sega game should I try next?

Carry on the Treasure theme, play Dynamite Headdy. Preferably the Japanese version because of the dumb difficulty changes made to the western release.

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Got my opening lineup from Lukie Games. Everything else looks ok but Sonic 3 looks really dodgy. The artwork in the label is blurrier than the branding around it, the cartridge back says Accaim, and the cart uses different security screws. I thought Lukie sells only original games, not counterfeits.

ce77b1ec-0e9b-4c24-a5gcda.jpeg

Last edited:

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
I've got a MD hooked up to an OSSC but stuff like the Game Gear adapters sold me, I wanted a consolised GG but this actually looks real nice. I'm happy to spend the money. I'm using an Everdrive MD so hopefully that's fine.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if I want to buy one, but I've been looking up Japanese only RPGs and prices of stuff of Mega Drive stuff in stores. I've seen Phantasy Star stuff for about 1000 yen each.

Will prob continue just checking stuff out for a few months.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Got my opening lineup from Lukie Games. Everything else looks ok but Sonic 3 looks really dodgy. The artwork in the label is blurrier than the branding around it, the cartridge back says Accaim, and the cart uses different security screws. I thought Lukie sells only original games, not counterfeits.

ce77b1ec-0e9b-4c24-a5gcda.jpeg

I'm sure that Sonic 3 isn't supposed to have Acclaim on the back, so I'd complain if I were you.

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
I'm sure that Sonic 3 isn't supposed to have Acclaim on the back, so I'd complain if I were you.

It's pretty interesting, based on some duckduck-fu, it would seem a lot of non-Acclaim games shipped in an Acclaim branded case, some times with black masking tape on the logo. The theory is that Acclaim over ordered cases and rather throwing them away Sega instead maybe offered them at discount to third parties.

So from that point of view, this being a late cycle budget rerelease that shipped in a cardboard box, it's plausible that this would be a genuine article.

Here are couple of detail photos.

1043bced-8bb3-432b-agcc2r.jpeg

b24a882e-adcf-4dee-avce5q.jpeg

Curiously the background of the Sega Game Secrets box is white, and the Genesis logo is aligned with the letter G of the Mega word. Both versions come up when searching online.

Sega+Sonic+3+Caqrt.jpg

I am leaning towards "fake" though because of the inconsistency on the ratings in this version I clearly have:

IMG_8536_800x.JPG

Last edited:

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Bloody hell my Sega CD isn't working. Hooked everything up yesterday to test, and it won't boot.

Got an order coming with some material that I'll use to attempt to fix it, since The Internet tells me it's likely a particular fuse, and my mobo version is pretty easy. I really, REALLY want to give those Sega CD games a whirl (heh) in 1080. My Retropie does a good job emulating Sega CD, but if I can try to go higher end without making another big investment (in a good condition Sega CD), I'll do just that.

First soldering job on an old console in over a decade. This should be fun.

Pre-ordered so hard!

I never had a Genesis growing up. Only a SNES.

What games do yall recommend?

Definitely the mainline Sonic games. Phantasy Star 4 is also really good, as is the mainline Streets of Rage series. And who can forget Gunstar Heroes?

Shining Force 1 and 2 are also great, but they can get pricey, especially when looking at CIB auctions.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Bloody hell my Sega CD isn't working. Hooked everything up yesterday to test, and it won't boot.

Got an order coming with some material that I'll use to attempt to fix it, since The Internet tells me it's likely a particular fuse, and my mobo version is pretty easy. I really, REALLY want to give those Sega CD games a whirl (heh) in 1080. My Retropie does a good job emulating Sega CD, but if I can try to go higher end without making another big investment (in a good condition Sega CD), I'll do just that.

First soldering job on an old console in over a decade. This should be fun.

Definitely the mainline Sonic games. Phantasy Star 4 is also really good, as is the mainline Streets of Rage series. And who can forget Gunstar Heroes?

Shining Force 1 and 2 are also great, but they can get pricey, especially when looking at CIB auctions.
Omega what model of CD do you have? My model 2 is working but it is missing all of the original case screws and I can't find the sizes online anywhere.

OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Pre-ordered so hard!

After Burner II, Altered Beast, Beyond Oasis, Castlevania Bloodlines, Contra Hard Corps, Disney's Aladdin, Disney's Toy Story, Ghouls 'N Ghosts, Lightening Force, Raiden Trad, The Shinobi games, the Streets of Rage games, Rocket Knight Adventures, Thunder Force II and III, Truxton, ummm that's what I can think of off the top of my head, there are tons more.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Omega what model of CD do you have? My model 2 is working but it is missing all of the original case screws and I can't find the sizes online anywhere.

Model 2. You could look on Ebay for some cheap, non functioning units strictly for parts, but that's a little expensive for screws.

I'll take a look at mine and see if I can use a substitute, and follow up. They didn't seem special at a glance (phillips head), but I can't say for sure.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Pre-ordered so hard!

This guy has some good suggestions (though i'd drop toy story):

After Burner II, Altered Beast, Beyond Oasis, Castlevania Bloodlines, Contra Hard Corps, Disney's Aladdin, Disney's Toy Story, Ghouls 'N Ghosts, Lightening Force, Raiden Trad, The Shinobi games, the Streets of Rage games, Rocket Knight Adventures, Thunder Force II and III, Truxton, ummm that's what I can think of off the top of my head, there are tons more.

And add: Dragon's Fury, Phantasy Star II and IV, Crusader of Centy, Beyond Oasis, El Viento, all of the Sonic games, Gunstar Heroes, MUSHA.... there's a lot of great games. It's my favorite of the generation.

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
After Burner II - $17.47
Altered Beast - $13.97
Beyond Oasis - $54.97
Castlevania Bloodlines - $83.97
Contra Hard Corps - $72.97
Disney's Aladdin - $9.97
Disney's Toy Story - $6.97
Ghouls 'N Ghosts - $49.97
Lightening Force - $66.47
Raiden Trad - $53.97
The Shinobi games - $13.47 - $19.97
the Streets of Rage games - $31.47 - $60.97
Rocket Knight Adventures - $19.97
Thunder Force II and III - $18.97 and $37.97
Truxton - $80.97

Fantastic list. Out of interest I looked up what these cost used off the shelf. It would seem Genesis games have not yet skyrocketed in price like Super NES games have. There are around 100 games priced > $100 on Super NES, but just around 30 on Genesis.

The shocker to me is that Batman on Genesis - the best Batman game imo - is $138.97. I have no idea what has made it so expensive.

OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
I thought about suggesting Musha but its so damn expensive, and I would never forget Beyond Oasis!

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Fantastic list. Out of interest I looked up what these cost used off the shelf. It would seem Genesis games have not yet skyrocketed in price like Super NES games have. There are around 100 games priced > $100 on Super NES, but just around 30 on Genesis.

The shocker to me is that Batman on Genesis - the best Batman game imo - is $138.97. I have no idea what has made it so expensive.

Bolded for (what I fear will be) emphasis. Pretty sure those prices are going to rise over the course of the next few months. I'm glad that I have a humble collection of great Genesis games in great condition (for the most part).

OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Also if you're into the Ys series, the version of Ys III on Genesis has one of the best sounding soundtracks on the platform IMHO. It's a pretty good version of the game too, and you can beat it in a weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.