• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
It's pretty interesting, based on some duckduck-fu, it would seem a lot of non-Acclaim games shipped in an Acclaim branded case, some times with black masking tape on the logo. The theory is that Acclaim over ordered cases and rather throwing them away Sega instead maybe offered them at discount to third parties.

So from that point of view, this being a late cycle budget rerelease that shipped in a cardboard box, it's plausible that this would be a genuine article.

I am leaning towards "fake" though because of the inconsistency on the ratings in this version I clearly have:

IMG_8536_800x.JPG

That's interesting about the Acclaim cartridge shell thing. Never heard about that before.

The rating system change might not indicate a fake, though. Let's take a look at another late Genesis release, VectorMan 2 from fall 1996:

250px-Vectorman2.jpg

At some point, Sega switched from their own self-imposed rating system to the ESRB's.

[edit] It looks like the change happened at the beginning of 1995. You've got a game like Boogerman, which came out in November 1994, still clearly using Sega's own rating system:

Boogerman_-_A_Pick_and_Flick_Adventure_Coverart.png

Then you've got Ristar, released three months later in February 1995, using the ESRB system:

Sonic 3 originally released in February 1994, so it was using Sega's rating system for its original release, but a "mega hits" release probably didn't come out until at least 1995 when Sega would have been using the ESRB. So I think the only thing left that can't be explained, Chittagong, is those different security screws.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
That's interesting about the Acclaim cartridge shell thing. Never heard about that before.

The rating system change might not indicate a fake, though. Let's take a look at another late Genesis release, VectorMan 2 from fall 1996:

250px-Vectorman2.jpg

At some point, Sega switched from their own self-imposed rating system to the ESRB's.

Yeah the Acclaim cart thing is fascinating, here's what I found - http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?31591-Cartridge-quot-Acclaim-quot-stamp

With regards to the rating symbol, what caught my eye was that the one matching my version has "GA" on the box photo, whereas "ESRB KA" on the label.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
double posting sorry not sorry

Yeah the Acclaim cart thing is fascinating, here's what I found - http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?31591-Cartridge-quot-Acclaim-quot-stamp

With regards to the rating symbol, what caught my eye was that the one matching my version has "GA" on the box photo, whereas "ESRB KA" on the label.

Oh hey, look at the fifth post in that thread:

btw - they're also annoying because they all have a different security bit to get them apart than most other games do - these are all a T-10 Torx security bit.

That would explain the different security screws in your Acclaim cartridge. They must have all used different screws.

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK

[edit] It looks like the change happened at the beginning of 1995. You've got a game like Boogerman, which came out in November 1994, still clearly using Sega's own rating system:

Then you've got Ristar, released three months later in February 1995, using the ESRB system:

Sonic 3 originally released in February 1994, so it was using Sega's rating system for its original release, but a "mega hits" release probably didn't come out until at least 1995 when Sega would have been using the ESRB. So I think the only thing left that can't be explained, Chittagong, is those different security screws.

Ah I see what you mean. Actually this photo which has different rating on the box and the cart has a different rating system on the box and the cart

IMG_8536_800x.JPG

BUT now that I look at it, the box is seems to be the older Sonic 3 box which would have the older symbol, whereas the cartridge would be the Mega Hit Series version which would have the newer symbol.

Actually it would seem that the Mega Hit Series didn't come in a plastic box at all, but in a cardboard box instead - which has the ESRB symbol, like the lable:

sonic_the_hedgehog_3___sega_genesis___us_mega_hit_series.JPG

But that thing next to the Sega logo on the cartridge is yellow here and white in mine.... hmmm!

Morfid_Plays

Self Requested Ban
Oct 27, 2017
I have about £5-6000 worth of megadrive stuff

I'm kinda tempted to sell it all and run my entire M.D. system off a hacked mega sg

What would everyone else do

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
I have about £5-6000 worth of megadrive stuff

I'm kinda tempted to sell it all and run my entire M.D. system off a hacked mega sg

What would everyone else do

Not sure why the Mega SG would make you want to sell your collection, it runs the actual carts - I think it'd be lovely to play the real things in crisp HDMI? Unless you mean that you have £6K worth of just MegaDrive hardware :O In that case, there is still 32X to consider.

Morfid_Plays

Self Requested Ban
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why the Mega SG would make you want to sell your collection, it runs the actual carts - I think it'd be lovely to play the real things in crisp HDMI? Unless you mean that you have £6K worth of just MegaDrive hardware :O In that case, there is still 32X to consider.

Nah I mostly have Japanese stuff
I have all the rare titles like eliminate down etc
I dunno sometimes I get tempted to have a one box solution

I did so with the SNES anyhow

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Actually it would seem that the Mega Hit Series didn't come in a plastic box at all, but in a cardboard box instead - which has the ESRB symbol, like the lable:

sonic_the_hedgehog_3___sega_genesis___us_mega_hit_series.JPG

But that thing next to the Sega logo on the cartridge is yellow here and white in mine.... hmmm!

Yeah, Sega switched from plastic hardshell game cases to cardboard boxes in mid-1994. Case in point, Sonic 3 in February 1994 had a plastic box but Sonic & Knuckles in October 1994 had a cardboard box.

As for the differences between your copy and the one in that photo ... yeah, that's the only weird thing. Not only is your "1-900-200-SEGA" logo white instead of yellow, but your "MEGA HIT GENESIS" text running vertically along the right side is indented at the bottom, while that text in the photo above is kerned to take up the entire yellow bar.

I did some Googling and found a couple examples that look like your cartridge's sticker, though:

https://www.propertyroom.com/l/sonic-the-hedgehog-3-mega-hits-series-game-for-sega-genesis/11914177

https://picclick.com/Sonic-the-Hedgehog-3-Mega-Hit-Version-Sega-142922467530.html

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Yeah, Sega switched from plastic hardshell game cases to cardboard boxes in mid-1994. Case in point, Sonic 3 in February 1994 had a plastic box but Sonic & Knuckles in October 1994 had a cardboard box.

As for the differences between your copy and the one in that photo ... yeah, that's the only weird thing. Not only is your "1-900-200-SEGA" logo white instead of yellow, but your "MEGA HIT GENESIS" text running vertically along the right side is indented at the bottom, while that text in the photo above is kerned to take up the entire yellow bar.

I did some Googling and found a couple examples that look like your cartridge's sticker, though:

https://www.propertyroom.com/l/sonic-the-hedgehog-3-mega-hits-series-game-for-sega-genesis/11914177

https://picclick.com/Sonic-the-Hedgehog-3-Mega-Hit-Version-Sega-142922467530.html

Fascinating. Truly inconclusive. I've pinged Lukie Games to see what they think. Weirdly the thing that makes it seem more real now is that Acclaim shell :D

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Just an update on this. Lukie Games took the view that the copy I have is indeed counterfeit. They were really apologetic, told that I could dispose of the cart and they'd send me a new one. This is why I keep ordering from them.

Anyone know what that screwdriver is called, I could pop open this cart now and see what's inside...?

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Success! Replaced a fuse on my Sega CD model 2, and now it...runs.

I'm a terrible hand with a soldering tool, and it took about 1.5 hours for me to get the throughput holes cleared. Replaced fuse, soldered....poorly. I plugged it in, and when I booted I was greeted by the sweet, sweet Sega CD boot screen and music. Also, a weird smell. And a little smoke.

So, I took it back apart, reworked the soldering so that it didn't make me fear that I'd burn my house down, and played the first stage of Final Fight. I should probably work on my soldering skills more, but I'm just happy that it works.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Success! Replaced a fuse on my Sega CD model 2, and now it...runs.

I'm a terrible hand with a soldering tool, and it took about 1.5 hours for me to get the throughput holes cleared. Replaced fuse, soldered....poorly. I plugged it in, and when I booted I was greeted by the sweet, sweet Sega CD boot screen and music. Also, a weird smell. And a little smoke.

So, I took it back apart, reworked the soldering so that it didn't make me fear that I'd burn my house down, and played the first stage of Final Fight. I should probably work on my soldering skills more, but I'm just happy that it works.
That's pretty cool. I need to figure out why mine won't shut it's tray without me holding it shut for a few seconds.

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
Nah I mostly have Japanese stuff
I have all the rare titles like eliminate down etc
I dunno sometimes I get tempted to have a one box solution

I did so with the SNES anyhow

If you have valuable titles and you're genuinely tempted to sell them, you probably should.

Keep what you want to keep, get rid of the rest.

Also note that you can accomplish the same thing with an Everdrive and a regular MD setup.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I don't Genesis much, but I'd forgotten all about Majesco releases. Now that I think about it, I seem to remember a big bin of them at Best Buy or someplace when things were winding down.

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
I don't Genesis much, but I'd forgotten all about Majesco releases. Now that I think about it, I seem to remember a big bin of them at Best Buy or someplace when things were winding down.

It's incredible really, how this cartridge manages to look incredibly fake with all the inconsistencies and blurriness, but turns out it very likely is a legit Majesco late cycle rerelease.

This seems to confirm Majesco used old Acclaim shells:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showth...fying-Accolade-Ballistic-And-Majesco-Reprints

So all the inconsistencies can be explained:

- Acclaim shells - because Majesco used the cheapest shells they could find, and Sega had a stack of old Acclaim ones to unload

- Blurry graphics - possibly because Majesco couldn't retrieve an original transparency of the label art

- Different screws - because Majesco used different screws in their production

- Different layout of typography and colours - probably using a template from other rereleases

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
It's incredible really, how this cartridge manages to look incredibly fake with all the inconsistencies and blurriness, but turns out it very likely is a legit Majesco late cycle rerelease.

This seems to confirm Majesco used old Acclaim shells:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showth...fying-Accolade-Ballistic-And-Majesco-Reprints

So all the inconsistencies can be explained:

- Acclaim shells - because Majesco used the cheapest shells they could find, and Sega had a stack of old Acclaim ones to unload

- Blurry graphics - possibly because Majesco couldn't retrieve an original transparency of the label art

- Different screws - because Majesco used different screws in their production

- Different layout of typography and colours - probably using a template from other rereleases

You jogged another memory. I remember buying a couple cheap (sub $10) and the blurry label jumped out at me.

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Nothing screams bootleg about that. But like you've deduced, you've just ended up with a poorly produced version of the game. A future collectors' item? ;)

Actually studying the cart and link further, the 9810 code seems to confirm it was manufactured in March 1998. They would have been produced to coincide with the launch of Genesis 3, a ghetto version of Genesis also manufactured by Majesco, announced in late 1997:

https://www.playerschoicevideogames.com/pd-sega-genesis-3-core-system.cfm

and

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?3743-Genesis-games-published-by-Majesco

Some Majesco trivia:

- Their re-releases utilized what seemed to be an enormous amount of unsold, leftover Genesis cartridges and ROM chips from late in the 16-Bit era. Many of them were not only from Sega, but from Acclaim as well, the latter which appeared to have manufactured its own carts during the 16-Bit era or at least was really tight with Sega. Regardless, there was a lot of unsold stuff which they took advantage of. In the case of Acclaim's carts, their logo in the back of their carts were hastily and cheaply covered over with a plastic strip, with an "Assembled in Mexico" sticker placed over said strip. Coincidentally enough, Acclaim's carts were also assembled in Mexico, so Majesco may have inherited some of their stuff down there as well. Sega's carts were made in both Japan and later on in the U.S, while EA's carts were made in Puerto Rico and other countries.......something like that.

- There are probably more Majesco re-releases then we'll ever know of. They re-released A LOT of stuff, including bottom-of-the-barrel games that were already common to begin with. Perhaps they did so to clear all that stock of accumulated hardware, I dunno. They did successfully manage to get great distribution for their products though, namely "Toys 'R Us".

- They were the ones behind what was Sega's last official marketing effort for the Genesis: the late-1997 "Mega Hits" re-releases. I figure it was around this time that what I refer to as the "Majesco" Genesis 2; a precursor to the Genny 3 in a Model 2 casing, was released to supplement the releases.

The scary thing? Majesco reportedly did reprints of Castlevania Bloodlines and Contra, some of the most expensive Genesis games. So it's quite likely an expensive copy of these games could be a legit Majesco reprint of inferior quality:

http://segaage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=42&threadid=158634

Last edited:

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
The scary thing? Majesco reportedly did reprints of Castlevania Bloodlines and Contra, some of the most expensive Genesis games. So it's quite likely an expensive copy of these games could be a legit Majesco reprint of inferior quality:

http://segaage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=42&threadid=158634

I love seeing that people are still just learning about this stuff because it's just so weird (the Super NES OT details some of this stuff that happened on the SNES as it was generally harder to spot Majesco versions of SNES games). Worth noting that if you're buying the game complete in box you'll generally be able to tell what version of the game you're getting simply based on if the game is in a plastic clam shell or cardboard. Obviously, situations can happen where a Majesco cart gets sold in a clamshell (like what happened to you) but yeah, there's generally still signs as to which version your getting just by looking at the cart. If that stuff is important to you then you definitely need to be vigilante. Having said that, if you just want a CIB version of a game and don't care about specifics, Majesco versions can be a great less expensive way to get some boxed copies of great games.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
That's pretty cool. I need to figure out why mine won't shut it's tray without me holding it shut for a few seconds.

Assuming it's model 2, you can pretty safely open the shell. Don't recall if the catch for the door is encased in plastic all the way around (inside and outside), but opening the system by unscrewing it from the bottom is pretty safe. Minimal exposure to the mobo thanks to the metal shielding.

Please take all that with a grain of skepticism, though. I'm only now familiar with one version of the model 2 mobo, not the disc drive or anything near it.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
There's pre-orders for the 8bitdo controllers on Amazon UK as well for those not in the US. I've grabbed one off there.

Kinda tempted by a Super NT. Can anyone speak for how it holds up?

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's pre-orders for the 8bitdo controllers on Amazon UK as well for those not in the US. I've grabbed one off there.

Really well.

Played through Earthbound in its entirety right after getting mine (had never beat it before, what a fucking game - and it looked awesome on my big HD tv!), and now I'm about to give Chrono a play.

It's really dope.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
Extremely well. I've played through a few games entirely on it, and it was exactly as advertised. I used the settings that Dark1x suggested in the DF Retro breakdown, and they look great.

Really well.

Played through Earthbound in its entirety right after getting mine (had never beat it before, what a fucking game - and it looked awesome on my big HD tv!), and now I'm about to give Chrono a play.

It's really dope.

Hm. What would you say are things that stand out as being flaws potentially? I've read something about modified firmware - does this usurp certain needs like using an Everdrive? How does it deal with special chip games in those edge cases?

EDIT: Edge cases - ah I see, it doesn't have any implementation in the FPGA for those chip types. That would have been interesting. Still tempting. Gotta do some banking haha.

OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Hm. What would you say are things that stand out as being flaws potentially? I've read something about modified firmware - does this usurp certain needs like using an Everdrive? How does it deal with special chip games in those edge cases?

First let me say the SuperNT is absolutely fantastic. I love mine, and have used it a ton. That said while the jailbroken firmware will allow you to load games off an SD Card, there's not enough room left on the FPGA to support special chip games. Which the SNES Everdrive only supports a few of as well. If you want a flash cart for the SNES that supports a good amount of the special chips you need to look into the SD2SNES made by Ikari01 but also sold by krikzz. It recently got SuperFX support added to it, and SA-1 seems to be mostly there. You can download beta firmwares to try it out. In regards to the SD2SNES there's only a few special chips left that aren't supported, a couple of them probably won't happen, though they are only used on a small handful of Japanese titles.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
First let me say the SuperNT is absolutely fantastic. I love mine, and have used it a ton. That said while the jailbroken firmware will allow you to load games off an SD Card, there's not enough room left on the FPGA to support special chip games. Which the SNES Everdrive only supports a few of as well. If you want a flash cart for the SNES that supports a good amount of the special chips you need to look into the SD2SNES made by Ikari01 but also sold by krikzz. It recently got SuperFX support added to it, and SA-1 seems to be mostly there. You can download beta firmwares to try it out. In regards to the SD2SNES there's only a few special chips left that aren't supported, a couple of them probably won't happen, though they are only used on a small handful of Japanese titles.

I'm more than aware of the Ikari and co's work, big fan of the Everdrive range. I have been looking into getting an SD2SNES. When I was a cheap-ass I bought the Everdrive version instead, which, whilst functional has problems yeah hah.

Thanks for your replies. Anyone else who has experiences please let me know. I'm an idiot and I will spend lots of money without thinking likely.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017

My 9 y/o wants to play Chrono Trigger (I showed him the opening animation from the DS version and his jaw dropped). I'm torn between letting him kick it in my office/game room and play on the recliner with an SNES controller, or taking it to the living room and letting him play it there this winter with a wireless controller and a half decent sound setup. Holidays coming, fireplace blazing, his dog, and Chrono Trigger.

Stuff like that is what really motivates me to maintain and grow a humble game collection. Systems like these make it way easier to do that, even with the side effect of increased prices for the games.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

EDIT: Edge cases - ah I see, it doesn't have any implementation in the FPGA for those chip types. That would have been interesting. Still tempting. Gotta do some banking haha.
I'll put it this way. I'm not a super tech-y guy at all with this stuff, most of it is not on my radar at all. I put my old games in, I plug it into the TV, I play - and it works and looks really good on my TV.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My 9 y/o wants to play Chrono Trigger (I showed him the opening animation from the DS version and his jaw dropped). I'm torn between letting him kick it in my office/game room and play on the recliner with an SNES controller, or taking it to the living room and letting him play it there this winter with a wireless controller and a half decent sound setup. Holidays coming, fireplace blazing, his dog, and Chrono Trigger.

Stuff like that is what really motivates me to maintain and grow a humble game collection. Systems like these make it way easier to do that, even with the side effect of increased prices for the games.
Exactly, definitely go with the latter. That's the kind of thing he'll get real nostalgic about in years to come.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming it's model 2, you can pretty safely open the shell. Don't recall if the catch for the door is encased in plastic all the way around (inside and outside), but opening the system by unscrewing it from the bottom is pretty safe. Minimal exposure to the mobo thanks to the metal shielding.

Please take all that with a grain of skepticism, though. I'm only now familiar with one version of the model 2 mobo, not the disc drive or anything near it.
It's a model 1. Gotta rock the OG SEGA-Zord. Lol

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan

I have enjoyed mine a lot, but I haven't gotten in that much playtime, since I was finishing up Dragon Quest VII on 3ds and then got sidetracked by DQ11.

I picked up an SD2SNES on an eBay coupon and have played a bit of a few MSU-1 games which are a lot of fun.

I'm wavering on the SG because I was never a huge Sega fan. I have a certain fondness for Streets of Rage 1/2 and Shining Force at a couple of friends' houses but I did way more time on the SNES with FF and Chrono Trigger and Mario.

Right now I can do them on my retropie anyway (in a mini Sega USB hub case).

I do love me some Lunar but I have the PS1 versions on my Pi (and physical) and love those plenty.

I've actually spent more time with the NT mini, but then again I got it a year earlier.

I will say this - I couldn't do MSU-1 Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana on my not-overclocked Pi, not with scanline shaders enabled. Not enough oomph, I was dropping frames and thus getting audio distortion. Sd2snes + Super NT is much more capable. Maybe it works better with overclocking or on the 3B+.

cacophony

Oct 27, 2017
This is true. The Genesis core for the MiSTer has the audio all wrong and I don't believe it even has the scaling options found in Analogue's stuff. That'll probably remain true for a long while still. I think in the long term MiSTer could become great though.

Have you seen recent footage? The Genesis core has gotten a lot of bug fixes over the past month, including many that are specific to sound.
I've been playing with it over the past few weeks and have only noticed a few issues, but I don't really have much prior Genesis experience.

Here's a recent video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQlN0cDxG38

Last edited:

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
So Lukie Games kindly agreed to send me another Sonic 3 for free as they too considered the Acclaim stamped version counterfeit, not requiring its return.

They couriered the new one to me super fast, and here it is:

*drum roll*

556fe4be-978b-4242-bo8c99.jpeg

4e0b662a-b9c9-4dfb-a5bfbs.jpeg

I guess the upside is that we know that it is in fact genuine.

I'll gift the second copy of Sonic 3 via Royal Mail for free to the first UK era member to hit me with an Mega SD order confirmation on PM (black our order no and personal details)

Oct 28, 2017
So the question is, will the Mega Sg run the Titan Overdrive and Overdrive 2 demos?
The MiSTer FPGA with its Mega Drive core (which is still pretty new) handles Overdrive 2 quite well, though with quite a few noticeable stumbles; even if it they don't on the Sg at first, they can probably patch it. :)

For comparison, Overdrive 2 on Genesis Plus GX (top right) is riddled with errors, including the sound turning into a flat tone.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
The MiSTer FPGA with its Mega Drive core (which is still pretty new) handles Overdrive 2 quite well, though with quite a few noticeable stumbles; even if it they don't on the Sg at first, they can probably patch it. :)

For comparison, Overdrive 2 on Genesis Plus GX (top right) is riddled with errors, including the sound turning into a flat tone.

That's super impressive considering nothing's been specifically patched/programmed to run it. Is the FPGA programming (or whatever) in the MiSTer FPGA close or identical to what we'll see in the Sg?

Also, I'm so damn impressed with how well Blastem runs basically everything. I'd love to see it ported to more platforms!

Edit: Didn't realise the Titan guys were commenting in that comparison vid, great to see their insights. I'm sure they'll be checking out how OD2 runs on the Sg as soon as they can.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
After all the time I spent with the Super NT this purchase was an easy one. Sega games are absolutely brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.