• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When is 1.1 firmware dropping?

• Friday (28th)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Weekend (29-30)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Monday (31st)

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • February

Votes: 20 58.8%

Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
sq9SCMO.gif

Price
$199 $219 [Due to increased component cost]
Pre-orders
Coming Back Soon™ (Pre-orders are charged immediately upon ordering)
Pre-order Windows​
Dec 2021, Q1 2022, Q4 2022, 2023
Screen
3.5", 615 ppi, LCD. 1600x1440 resolution, 10x the resolution of an original Game Boy (160x144), variable refresh rate (30hz-62hz)

JdZWUg7.png

• 1080p HDMI output
  • Bluetooth & 2.4g support for wireless controllers
  • 2 USB inputs for wired controllers
  • Up to 4 player support (4p Bluetooth, 2p 2.4g, 2p wired USB)
  • DAC compatible
  • Power Dock on from controller

W01XoOK.png

• Game Gear
  • NGPC, Coming 2022?
  • Atari Lynx, Coming 2022?
UxAXDJ7.png

What is this? Why is it so expensive? What the hell is an FPGA?
Fair questions. Some context and a bit of a history lesson..

Analogue is a company that specializes in hardware clones of older video game systems. You may have heard of the $5000 Gold Plated NES, or the more reasonably priced $500 version sans-gold plating known as the Analogue Nt. They built these by taking apart cosmetically broken down famicoms and re-purposing it in a fancy box with some nice mods such as HDMI out. They have done some boutique-ass stuff in the past however lately their focus has been to recreate hardware at more cost effective price points using FPGA chips.

An FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Array) is a sort of chameleon chip that can have code loaded to change what it is and does as a computer chip. Typically these exist for student and company prototypes that can be later turned into finalized chip designs. A side effect of their flexible nature had them showing up in game and hobby projects such as flash drives which over time developed into full blown hardware emulation of more complex systems such as the NES. These more complex emulated systems are often referred to as cores. Hence you will see 'NES core' or 'Game Boy core' used. The two popular forms of this was the Nt Mini (the next version of the Analogue Nt mentioned above), and the AVS.

This is emulation in that it is emulating another system however it is doing it at the hardware level, rather than virtualizing the system in software as with emulators you are probably familiar with. Hardware emulation has some nice benefits, for example being able to plug the original controller in directly for low latency input, or plugging in an original cartridge and playing the game directly off the cartridge as it would in an original system, not dumping and playing from the ROM like you typically see with software emulator boxes that have a cartridge port like the Retron. If you can plug it into the original system you can probably plug it in here and it will work if the core is well made.

A common misconception is that because it is hardware emulation it is immediately superior to software emulators. This is not true. The quality of the emulation whether hardware or software comes down to the knowledge and skill of the engineer building the emulator. There are pro's and con's to both of these approaches, but don't fall for the lines of it being inherently better just because it is.

FPGAs are not produced in mass market quantities like the CPU in your computer so the more powerful you need it to be (to emulate more powerful hardware) the more the price goes up exponentially. As it is right now a product in the $100-$200 range is typically powerful enough to emulate 8-bit and 16-bit hardware, or handhelds such as with the Analogue Pocket. To do something like the PS2 would require an insanely expensive FPGA and an insane amount of engineering hours. As with many technology trends prices are likely to improve as time moves forward and demand increases, but this is roughly the point we are at currently.

Alright, so what is so special about this particular FPGA system?

This is the first one in an easily available handheld form factor. All the other systems up to this point have been a console you plug into your TV. (Which this will also do with the dock.)

In addition, Analogue has been very restrictive with their FPGA systems up to now. Only their code could be loaded into their systems restricting it to only their updates and enhancements for new features or cores. To summarize a much more complicated set of events over the past few years another project started up around the idea of building open source versions of these hardware cores. MiSTer. This community has grown rapidly with many systems being emulated. Up to this point the Analogue cores and the MiSTer cores were their own islands.

People are excited about the Analogue Pocket because it is the first time Analogue has opened up their hardware to allow other developers to load their own cores. Meaning we could potentially, and likely will see other systems available such as the NES, SNES, Mega Drive, or a plethora of others, in addition to the GB/GBC/GBA/etc that the system will already have. The FPGA used in the Analogue Pocket is not as powerful as the primary one used in the MiSTer community so every single core may not be possible, but it looks to be quite capable with the limited information we have so far.

Okay, but you said it plays off the carts. How the hell do I plug an NES cart into this thing?

Being that this is hardware emulation that can emulate just about any aspect of the system, the cartridge itself can also be emulated. Essentially a mini built-in flashcart that can load roms rather than play the cart directly. Analogue does not officially support this feature for reasons you can guess, but shortly after they release their products a mysterious crusader puts out a jailbroken version of the firmware that has this feature. Nobody knows the identify of this brave soul, but we sing tribute to them anyway...

0qQvLpI.png

Nanoloop

Built in synth digital audio workstation (DAW) for making music.

• $15 - $20 for each cable
thU3VoU.png

0qQvLpI.png

GB Studio

Analogue partnered with GB Studio. Looks like you will be able to produce specific .pocket files if a jailbroken firmware is never released, or you do not have a rom cart.

NXQWJdv.gif

0qQvLpI.png

Secondary FPGA - Developer Support

ojR2ZIQ.png

Last edited:

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Neat idea, definitely has a niche appeal for people who have a bunch of cartridges lying around.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Day one. I was wondering if it would have GBA support out of the box and it does. Even with the dock for HDMI output being sold separately, it'll probably cost less than a GBA Consolizer and it can do more than that.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Looks amazing honestly. The price point would have attracted people even if it was just GB/GBC but all extra systems is quite the bonus. I suppose we have to wait and see at what these adaptors are pried at. Nanoloop is very a nice treat as well.

Game Gear games are currently in the 'bargain bin' at my local retro game stores given that few people have working Game Gears and that system is kind of a hassle. I wonder if this system would increase interest and prices in Game Gear titles.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Hooooly that looks so good. I wish I had more than a few portable games. I never owned a GB/GBC and only own a few GBA titles.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I'm in. Wonder if it will work with an ever drive.

Also wonder if the black model has a glossy finish. The black looks better than the white but I don't want a finger print magnet.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
My thoughts from the other thread since I posted 'em right after this came up:

Half tempted to cancel my Stadia pre-order and instead wait for this, my collection of Game Boy games is ridiculous and the only reason I don't play them much is because the handheld options are bleh and hooking up my GameCube w/ GB Player isn't very snappy.

This genuinely looks like the definitive way to play these games. Super crisp screen, an actual headphone jack (the major downside of the SP), rechargeable battery, the dock...

My only concerns really are what GBA games look like since they have a different aspect ratio and if there'll be a nice case to protect it, the screen looks very scratch prone. Oh, and if the L and R buttons are comfortable.

$199 is a ridiculously good price regardless.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This is the most I've been tempted to get an Analogue console. I've really been looking at my options for GameBoy games. It looks great, though I kinda hope there's more color options available when it goes on preorder.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
This is tempting as all get out, were the specs for the screen released? That'll actually be the make or break for me.

Radokat

Oct 30, 2017
Imagine someone ports the NES over to it *drool*
Very excited - we need a date for preorders.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The screen really does sound nuts. I was skeptical about this thing until they announced the dock, but it turns out I love good portability as a bonus!

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if this FPGA would be capable of running SNES/Mega Drive games, since I'd have thought it might if it is powerful enough for GBA games.

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
Looks great. I already have multiple devices that will play carts, but may jump in on this too.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
What are the odds SNES emulation makes its way to this? Is the FPGA just as capable as the one in the SuperNT? This could be the definitive portable retro emulation device.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This looks amazing from the hardware to the presentation to the features. I have no reason to get this as I have like no Gameboy games lol.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I would have maaaybe in a long shot considered it, but the adapters costing extra and the dock being a feature but costing extra..? Out. I've still got my GBA SP and barely use that to begin with.

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
It says it's going to be released in limited quantities. Granted, this is going to be a day one purchase for me but how worried should I be about buying a unit? Anyone have any prior experience with this company?

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
This thing has GBA support? Fuuuuuck, I need it.