• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When is 1.1 firmware dropping?

• Friday (28th)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Weekend (29-30)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Monday (31st)

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • February

Votes: 20 58.8%

Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Wondering if the GBA Consolizer I ordered will arrive before the Pocket, but either way, the Everdrive I picked up has me playing games on my trusty DS Lite for the first time in years.

Between MiSTer, the Super NT, and the Mega SG, I'm on a retro kick that could last the rest of my life. The Pocket only exacerbates that problem-that-isn't-actually-a-problem.

joora

Oct 21, 2019
What does one do with 6 GB micros?

I hope this.

image.gif.15d76ac172279fe2fa4836ba430c3686.gif

It is well known that one cannot have too many GB micros. Too bad one can only have two hands.

yTRoV6s.gif

...haha, j/j, yes add it to your collection...but probably get both colors. :D

The rabbit hole is deep.

Sweet jesus, 2x Famicom GBA Micros and a Final Fantasy one.

IMO, the Famicom GB micro is one of the nicest pieces of hardware ever, which is strange considering I usually dislike both gold and red.
Got one loose at first, and then had to opportunity to get a boxed one (the box has very nice inserts) for a reasonable price, so I use one as a daily driver.

What no Pokemon Mini?

I'm not at that level of burning money yet.
Can't even force myself to part with the sum necessary for a Mother edition, which is a very good thing.

How does this make you feel?
Vn1iuZY.jpg

(Collectors should know the rarity of what you're seeing here... :D)

There is no better way of enjoying video content than on that beautiful GB micro screen!
But seriously, a nice find, heard that it outputs very nice audio when connected via headphone jack.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
IMO, the Famicom GB micro is one of the nicest pieces of hardware ever, which is strange considering I usually dislike both gold and red.
Got one loose at first, and then had to opportunity to get a boxed one (the box has very nice inserts) for a reasonable price, so I use one as a daily driver.

I'm a big fan of the Gold and Red look which I'm familiar with from Game & Watches rather than Famicom. But yeah, nice collection. Inspires me to take a pic of my own collection (maybe later tonight).

Jeroen

Banned
Oct 20, 2019
So I went in my basement to look for my old GBA collection and it turns out I have an Action Replay for GBA. Lying around here for like 10 years. Didn't even knew I had one. Anyway after much searching it seems they are rare now. I put it up for sale and got 10 offers in 1 day. Anyone know how much its worth? I believe its the Action Replay Max (not Max Duo) I'll take a picture when I'm home :)

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I checked on Price Charting for an Action Replay Max for the GBA and it shows up as $31 for a loose copy with no box/manual, $161 with the box/manual, and $242 brand new.

Jeroen

Banned
Oct 20, 2019
It is well known that one cannot have too many GB micros. Too bad one can only have two hands.

The rabbit hole is deep.

I'm not at that level of burning money yet.
Can't even force myself to part with the sum necessary for a Mother edition, which is a very good thing.

There is no better way of enjoying video content than on that beautiful GB micro screen!
But seriously, a nice find, heard that it outputs very nice audio when connected via headphone jack.

I checked amazon.jp and I might actually buy the Micro Famicom edition. Looks super slick! Haven't played in awhile but I feel the GBA Classic and Micro have a better button layout than the Analogue Pocket.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So I went in my basement to look for my old GBA collection and it turns out I have an Action Replay for GBA. Lying around here for like 10 years. Didn't even knew I had one. Anyway after much searching it seems they are rare now. I put it up for sale and got 10 offers in 1 day. Anyone know how much its worth? I believe its the Action Replay Max (not Max Duo) I'll take a picture when I'm home :)

Thankfully this is likely to have Action Replay built in. So nobody should have to hunt one down for this

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
Probably a given, but is there any talk on there being a sleep mode function? Like turn of the screen and make buttons not work or something?

Sep 14, 2019
I wanted to get this just so I can play the Pokémon TCG game for GBC and maybe the Yu-Gi-Oh! GBA games...

... But maybe I'm just better off buying a 2DS for cheaper and just downloading the game.

Edit: Wait, you can okay your game on an HDTV?! Oh crap, I might actually buy this thing!

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Any tips for finding decent-quality Gameboy Micros for sale? I haven't had any luck at all in Canada!

The used market sucks. I'm trying to buy an AGS-101 but the one I watched on Ebay got sold.. relisted, then was about to sell. Then it got canceled and relisted again. Yeah no shenanigans there.

I have a NIB Micro that I'd probably swap for a NIB AGS-101. Maybe. Bought it as a novelty but was too small for me to use.

joora

Oct 21, 2019
Any tips for finding decent-quality Gameboy Micros for sale? I haven't had any luck at all in Canada!

Well, it all depends on your budget and wishes. Besides one of the more beaten up silvers, all my other micros were ebay purchases. Consoles in general, and especially nintendo hardware, wasn't that popular at the time in the country where I'm from, so there aren't any offerings in local ads save for a lone collector here and there.

Good micros for a good price are hard to find. Most of my non special edition purchases were solid examples with little traces of use, and I've generally managed to find them for around 85 euros and less. Famicom ones and the Final fantasy one are a different story. But, if you want to find a good deal on those, one option is japanese yahoo auctions and a good proxy service (there are several, but you should really research what is the most cheap/reliable one). Also, you have to be willing to take the risk, since you would be relying on the automatic translations, pictures which are smaller size/resolutionthan ebay and the japanese sellers on yahoo auctions ocasionally mark old consoles as junk (whether they work or not) to avoid any returns.

But, either way (ebay or yahoo auctions) is usually a practice in patience until you find a nice and relatively clean specimen at a desired/acceptable price. I've probably gone through at least 70-100 famicom micro's untill I've pulled the trigger. But the happy! mario was worth the effort

GNI2RzI.jpg

(btw. Happy! Mario is only featured on Japanese Famicom micros).

Happy hunting!

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Well, it all depends on your budget and wishes. Besides one of the more beaten up silvers, all my other micros were ebay purchases. Consoles in general, and especially nintendo hardware, wasn't that popular at the time in the country where I'm from, so there aren't any offerings in local ads save for a lone collector here and there.

Good micros for a good price are hard to find. Most of my non special edition purchases were solid examples with little traces of use, and I've generally managed to find them for around 85 euros and less. Famicom ones and the Final fantasy one are a different story. But, if you want to find a good deal on those, one option is japanese yahoo auctions and a good proxy service (there are several, but you should really research what is the most cheap/reliable one). Also, you have to be willing to take the risk, since you would be relying on the automatic translations, pictures which are smaller size/resolutionthan ebay and the japanese sellers on yahoo auctions ocasionally mark old consoles as junk (whether they work or not) to avoid any returns.

But, either way (ebay or yahoo auctions) is usually a practice in patience until you find a nice and relatively clean specimen at a desired/acceptable price. I've probably gone through at least 70-100 famicom micro's untill I've pulled the trigger. But the happy! mario was worth the effort

GNI2RzI.jpg

(btw. Happy! Mario is only featured on Japanese Famicom micros).

Happy hunting!

Fantastic, thank you for the tips! Japanese auction sellers isn't something I had considered before. I'll have to take a look!

Really appreciate the write-up, thank you again!

Deleted member 39353

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 1, 2018
The used market sucks. I'm trying to buy an AGS-101 but the one I watched on Ebay got sold.. relisted, then was about to sell. Then it got canceled and relisted again. Yeah no shenanigans there.

I have a NIB Micro that I'd probably swap for a NIB AGS-101. Maybe. Bought it as a novelty but was too small for me to use.

as someone who sells frequently on eBay, it could just be that the buyer canceled. And then maybe someone made a private offer, backed out of it, and so they reposted again. I can tell you from My experience, higher profile listings like iPhones I just expect to have to relist it at least once because of a deadbeat buyer. It's like 100% of the time for iPhones.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
as someone who sells frequently on eBay, it could just be that the buyer canceled. And then maybe someone made a private offer, backed out of it, and so they reposted again. I can tell you from My experience, higher profile listings like iPhones I just expect to have to relist it at least once because of a deadbeat buyer. It's like 100% of the time for iPhones.

I reported the auction and the Ebay rep said that the seller does that with all of their auctions and that they would be facing account restrictions (after some investigation).

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm waiting for the Pocket, then unless it disappoints somehow I will sell my Fami Micro that still holds a good charge. And my AGS-101 modded OG (real screen not clone).

And my modded Gamecube and Game Boy Player.

It will cover the price of the system, dock, and DAC and then some. Possibly enough to buy a backup Pocket. And I won't have to buy some hideous consolized GBA. Life is good.

Jeroen

Banned
Oct 20, 2019
Not that excited anymore. You can buy a custom lit GBA for under 100. Then buy this custom case for 12usd:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Analogue Pocket gonna be 200usd with 55usd shipping costs most likely just like Super NT + custom fees

Grief.exe

Oct 26, 2017
The new hotness in GBA and GBC modding is soldering in a IPS screen that does a 4x upscale.

At least on the GBA side, it will be comparable to whatever Analogue does here since I think they can only get a ~5x upscale.

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
Not that excited anymore. You can buy a custom lit GBA for under 100. Then buy this custom case for 12usd:

Analogue Pocket gonna be 200usd with 55usd shipping costs most likely just like Super NT + custom fees

Eh... this has none of the open FGPA options, nor TV dock options the Analogue Pocket offers. The FGPA is what makes this unit off the charts, the possibilities are really amazing.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Its cool if you only want gba and gbc games but the anolouge does more and has a dock that will allow for proper scaling on hdtvs.

mandiller

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The new hotness in GBA and GBC modding is soldering in a IPS screen that does a 4x upscale.

At least on the GBA side, it will be comparable to whatever Analogue does here since I think they can only get a ~5x upscale.
I've built a GBA SP with an IPS screen that's laminated to the glass. It's indeed the new hotness. The screen is amazing with that pixel scaling. GBA games have never looked so good.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Y'all don't want this, don't buy it, it's dumb, there are *far* better options, it's for weirdos with bad priorities who don't understand retrogaming value, tell your friends this, thanks.

(I'd like a chance of getting a preorder in for the first batch)

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Why is that GBA case using Majora's Mask artwork instead of Minish Cap or Four Swords given that it's for a GBA?

Anyone thinking about carrying cases yet? I've got my eye on this.

Using the renders they provided you can judge the scale by the gameboy cart, and the Analogue Pocket is significantly wider and somewhat longer than a real pocket.

Also this is the first time I noticed that the screen protector isn't actually flush with the front of the Pocket. It protrudes by a significant amount. So you won't want want to be sliding it in and out of a wallet like that since the potential for scratching the screen while sliding it in and out seems very likely in the long run.

Last edited:

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Why is that GBA case using Majora's Mask artwork instead of Minish Cap or Four Swords given that it's for a GBA?

Using the renders they provided you can judge the scale by the gameboy cart, and the Analogue Pocket is significantly wider and somewhat longer than a real pocket.

Also this is the first time I noticed that the screen protector isn't actually flush with the front of the Pocket. It protrudes by a significant amount. So you won't want want to be sliding it in and out of a wallet like that since the potential for scratching the screen while sliding it in and out seems very likely in the long run.
But that case fits a Gameboy color, which the Analogue pocket appears to match the dimensions of.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone have a specific game lined up once this is released? I plan on playing through Dragon Quest 3. I was planning on buying a modded GBA for this purpose right before the pocket was announced. Fortunate timing.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have a specific game lined up once this is released? I plan on playing through Dragon Quest 3. I was planning on buying a modded GBA for this purpose right before the pocket was announced. Fortunate timing.

I'm thinking Dragon Quest Monsters, I picked it up pretty much entirely because of the Pocket's announcement

I have a whole backlog of great games to play though - Kirby's Dream Land 2, both Golden Sun's, the good Mega Man Battle Networks (whichever those are?), Astro Boy, the Hamtaro games... Even a few Game Gear classics I'd love to finally have the chance to play properly. I'm building a collection at this point.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

Since I've replayed LA so recently, prob Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru, Dragon Warrior Monsters and Lufia.

I wonder if my DWM memory is still going, I maxed out the timer and had darkdream and two deathmore 3's lol

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I somehow missed this announcement. No preorder yet, it seems.

Defiitely want it. I'm skeptical on the cartridge adapters, as they have yet to release the additional adapters for Mega SG that I've been waiting for.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Since I've replayed LA so recently, prob Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru, Dragon Warrior Monsters and Lufia.

I wonder if my DWM memory is still going, I maxed out the timer and had darkdream and two deathmore 3's lol
I actually restored my DWM cart a couple of months ago, and my save data was intact.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I'm saving my emerald play through for this device, and I also want to play and finish MGS gbc on it as well.

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
Have previous Analogue consoles allowed for ips patches on the console for carts that are plugged into it? Got a few Japanese games that I'd like to play through in English!

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Have previous Analogue consoles allowed for ips patches on the console for carts that are plugged into it? Got a few Japanese games that I'd like to play through in English!

Not sure about that, but I'm sure they'll release an unofficial jailbreak that will allow you to play translated roms.

edit**to clarify I meant translated roms via SD card. The thing is they're doing new things with this device by opening it up to developers so who knows what is possible with it later on.

Last edited: