• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When is 1.1 firmware dropping?

• Friday (28th)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Weekend (29-30)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Monday (31st)

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • February

Votes: 20 58.8%

Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
SoH

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Even LE counts aside we have no idea how stuff like power draw is going to factor, especially on top of the screen. It could be possible cores can be done but absolutely destroy the battery in like an hour limiting them mostly to the dock.

It is why I set my expectations low. Being able to play Super Mario Bros 2 and Faxanadu on the go would be bitchin' but not expecting too much. Any cores that come are gravy.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
The DAC connects with the same multi-format DIN-15 cable that the Nt Mini uses. Analogue let me try one the beta units, and I initially hooked it up by using my Nt Mini cable, which sends RGB via JP21 SCART to a gscartsw. So, in theory, the Pocket + Dock + DAC should be able to output a nice RGB signal for all systems supported by the Pocket. I have to say that a Super Nt or Mega Sg signal via DAC is way cleaner and crisper than running an RGB signal from the actual equivalent consoles. It looks great.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
The DAC connects with the same multi-format DIN-15 cable that the Nt Mini uses. Analogue let me try one the beta units, and I initially hooked it up by using my Nt Mini cable, which sends RGB via JP21 SCART to a gscartsw. So, in theory, the Pocket + Dock + DAC should be able to output a nice RGB signal for all systems supported by the Pocket. I have to say that a Super Nt or Mega Sg signal via DAC is way cleaner and crisper than running an RGB signal from the actual equivalent consoles. It looks great.

If only the DAC were still available for purchase...

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
They never shipped the DAC did they?

Hell I can't keep track of what hasn't shipped and what I've stuck on a shelf and forgotten about.

OP
OP
SoH

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
The dock will launch Dec 2022 and will be $250

And won't support the DAC at that time
And you'll still be waiting on cart adapters
Now whatever it turns out to be surely went be that bad, right?
RIGHT?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

RIGHT?

Shipping will be $40 if you are within 50 miles.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

RIGHT?

Shipping will be $40 if you are within 50 miles.

Jokes on you y'all can't kill my hype! we gon fight for that last preorder lol

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
There are many cores that use more than 35% of the available LEs and those are the most interesting/important ones to port.

Also afaik it's 40 or 45k LEs on the CycloneV they're using.

The Cyclone V in the Super NT, Mega SG and the upcoming Pocket has 55k LE.

Expect the proprietary analog conversion dac to work with it (to maximize profits because it would be far too convenient and respectful of your customers to support it out of the box)

The vast majority of their customers have no interest in analog output. The analog outputs along with the aluminum shells they used were cut to keep the price down.

Last edited:

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I wonder if people will be able to use the secondary FPGA board to get the enhancement chips working for SNES games.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if people will be able to use the secondary FPGA board to get the enhancement chips working for SNES games.

The main FPGA is the one developers will have access to. The smaller one is likely to offload a lot of the work the single FPGA in their other products was doing like scaling.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
The main FPGA is the one developers will have access to. The smaller one is likely to offload a lot of the work the single FPGA in their other products was doing like scaling.

I see. They made such a big deal out of it having two that I assumed both would be open to developers. Still, people were able to get almost all the enhancements working on SD2SNES. It's pretty old technology. Hopefully the Pocket's board will be able to handle them.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone V in the Super NT, Mega SG and the upcoming Pocket has 55k LE.

The vast majority of their customers have no interest in analog output. The analog outputs along with the aluminum shells they used were cut to keep the price down.
MiSTer does Analog over HDMI

Let's stop making excuses for a company called freaking Analogue

Edit : and the fpga used is the Cyclone V E 5CEA4 which has 49k LEs and is a lower cost variant to the SE used in the MiSTer (5CSEA6) which also integrates an ARM core

Last edited:

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
MiSTer does Analog over HDMI

Let's stop making excuses for a company called freaking Analogue

The 110k LE FPGA the MiSTer uses has an arm processor on board. Let's not pretend that the FPGA that Analogue uses for their sub $200 products is comparable to the $250 FPGA that Intel is subsidizing for the $130 Terasic dev board.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Hard to believe we're getting this, Playdate and PS5 this year.

Suuuuper excited, but my poor wallet. :(

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Let's not play this game:

an·a·log
/ˈanlˌôɡ/
Apprenez à prononcer
adjective
adjective: analogue
  1. relating to or using signals or information represented by a continuously variable physical quantity such as spatial position, voltage, etc.
    "analog signals"
    • (of a clock or watch) showing the time by means of hands rather than displayed digits.
    • not involving or relating to the use of computer technology, as a contrast to a digital counterpart.
      "old-school analog paper map skills"
noun
noun: analogue
  1. a person or thing seen as comparable to another.
    "an interior analogue of the exterior world"
    • CHEMISTRY
      a compound with a molecular structure closely similar to that of another.
      "thioacids are sulfur analogues of oxyacids"
It comes from the french word « analogue » which comes from the greek Analogos.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing about MiSTer is crap and I would hate for this thread to become an Analouge vs. MiSTer pissing contest. I don't even know why the hell MiSTer was brought up in the first place
Agreed for sure. Valid that it was brought up on the possibilities of porting cores to this pocket thingy.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing about MiSTer is crap and I would hate for this thread to become an Analouge vs. MiSTer pissing contest. I don't even know why the hell MiSTer was brought up in the first place
It was asked if porting MiSTer cores to the Pocket would be feasible so we discussed the option (and I think you even asked about the MiST). Then we discussed the DAC and I believe it's just a money grab from Analogue instead of using their current hardware and the HDMI out to provide the analog signal as per the MiSTer (which was thought impossible initially, hence the IO daughter board)

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It was asked if porting MiSTer cores to the Pocket would be feasible so we discussed the option (and I think you even asked about the MiST). Then we discussed the DAC and I believe it's just a money grab from Analogue instead of using their current hardware and the HDMI out to provide the analog signal as per the MiSTer (which was thought impossible initially, hence the IO daughter board)

I think the curiosity over cores is a fair discussion point, but I think the stuff about the DAC and what MiSTer can do is where discussion just went off the rails and into a not particularly good place

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I think the curiosity over cores is a fair discussion point, but I think the stuff about the DAC and what MiSTer can do is where discussion just went off the rails and into a not particularly good place
It's all part of the discussion. What each system does since both of them aim for the exact same result through the same means (recreation instead of emulation).

You will never avoid comparision between them and why one company claims "it can't be done" while enthusiast do it for free on similar hardware (if slightly more able)

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's all part of the discussion. What each system does since both of them aim for the exact same result through the same means (recreation instead of emulation).

You will never avoid comparision between them and why one company claims "it can't be done" while enthusiast do it for free on similar hardware (if slightly more able)

Well the problem is they're not really all that similar aside from using similar FPGA's. MiSTer has an entire Arm processor on it's board and to my understanding, there aren't any Arm processors in Analouge products. I have no idea if that even relates to the IO issue, but you can clearly do more with a MiSTer utilizing that Arm processor.

Also Pocket has a second FPGA core while MiSTer has just the one. So the hardware is different enough between the two where I feel direct comparisons aren't really helpful or informative.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Well the problem is they're not really all that similar aside from using similar FPGA's. MiSTer has an entire Arm processor on it's board and to my understanding, there aren't any Arm processors in Analouge products. I have no idea if that even relates to the IO issue, but you can clearly do more with a MiSTer utilizing that Arm processor.

Also Pocket has a second FPGA core while MiSTer has just the one. So the hardware is different enough between the two where I feel direct comparisons aren't really helpful or informative.
As long as we don'T know what the second FPGA offers we can easily say that Analogue's product will offer less but there are still things we can compare. For example the SNES core on MiSTer would easily fit on Analogue's CycloneV E (it has enough LEs) and this core supports every special chip except for the MSU-1 (fake chip) and a RISC processor used in two SHogi games in Japan. Something that was deemed "impossible" by Analogue.

As for the ARM processor it's mostly for the Linux OS underneath it all afaik. What the Pocket will have though is onboard SDRam (if they follow the same pattern as the SuperNT and MegaSG) and since it suports GBA it will definitely have the necessary memory for the NeoGeo core.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
As long as we don'T know what the second FPGA offers we can easily say that Analogue's product will offer less but there are still things we can compare. For example the SNES core on MiSTer would easily fit on Analogue's CycloneV E (it has enough LEs) and this core supports every special chip except for the MSU-1 (fake chip) and a RISC processor used in two SHogi games in Japan. Something that was deemed "impossible" by Analogue.

Kevtris's implementation of the SNES takes up most of the LE's on the FPGA, His core is obviously different than the core on MiSTer. He's already stated that he can't implement every special chip with his core on the FPGA as it stands and you're basically calling him a liar at this point. And unless you've fully examined his code and compared it to the code used for MiSTer's SNES core, I don't think you're qualified to call Kev a liar on this

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Kevtris's implementation of the SNES takes up most of the LE's on the FPGA, His core is obviously different than the core on MiSTer. He's already stated that he can't implement every special chip with his core on the FPGA as it stands and you're basically calling him a liar at this point. And unless you've fully examined his code and compared it to the code used for MiSTer's SNES core, I don't think you're qualified to call Kev a liar on this
Both cores take les than the available space on the CycloneV E used by the SuperNT.

I do believe Kevtris is stubborn and that he believes what he does is always the best way to do something.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Both cores take les than the available space on the CycloneV E used by the SuperNT.

I do believe Kevtris is stubborn and that he believes what he does is always the best way to do something.

Right, it could be the case that Kev's core is more bloated than it needs to be and that MiSter's core is better optimized, but I'm no programmer and I couldn't tell you that for sure. It is nice however that the core on MiSTer can do all of the special chips and that probably wasn't easy to implement

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Since this is the newest Analogue thread:

TjghWy1l.png

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It'd be nice and as much as I'd like an NT Mini I don't think I'd like paying $500 for it.

Rather have the rumored cheaper re-design

OP
OP
SoH

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Worth mentioning that depending on what features you are after the AVS or the MiSTer might be alternatives worth considering. AVS for the cost advantage and if you are wanting direct hardware connectivity like carts and controller ports, though no other cores or analog out. MiSTer if you are after a multi core system far beyond what the NT Mini supports, though not all the 8-bit cores have been created for MiSTer either.

Considering how much the NT Mini goes for on ebay it would be nice to have one final run for anyone who really wants one and missed their chance. The landscape has changed quite a bit since it first hit so definitely consider your options.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yeah, I have zero need for the Nt mini since I have a Hi-Def NES toploader for real carts and will eventually own a MiSTer. Just thought I'd share for anyone that might want one.