• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I've held off on the other Analogue systems since I have all my original hardware, but this, this I could get into.

ninjabreadman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017

Cyclone V isn't large enough and the other chips cost a lot more.

Also some of the tech used in the N64 is still patented to silicon graphics and you would likely break some laws by emulating it on a hardware level.

Portable FPGA Gameboy would be awesome, wonder if they can include the 200 byte boot rom which made the logo scroll up or if that is copyright. The GB had sneaky unlicenced game protection where if the logo on the cart didn't match the Nintendo logo, it doesn't boot the right address after the boot rom is finished, and they copyrighted the logo.

Most emulators avoid it by jumping straight to #200, thus no logo scroll.

Last edited:

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depending on what it can do, I might finally bite on one of these FPGA consoles.

The Game Boy line is my favorite gaming platform ever.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Just to recommend again, the RetroUSB AVS can do this. Well, it's actually the Everdrive N8 that handles the savestates, but it works fine with the N8.
I friggen love my AVS, and can do savestates (for certain games) with even a PowerPak, but if this supposed "Analogue 8" eventually comes with CopyNES functionality in its "unofficial firmware" like the ntmini did, I'd probably get one.

AVS is great though, and does horizontal interpolation now, which I think the old Ananologue Nt doesn't anymore and the ntmini doesn't do.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
I'd be very into an Analogue handheld if it supports a bunch of handheld cores (GB thru GBA, Game Gear and NGP please) and has a good screen

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got a Super Game Boy 2 for use on my Super Nt so I don't really want an FPGA Game Boy.

An FPGA NES, though, sign me up immediately.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I got a Super Game Boy 2 for use on my Super Nt so I don't really want an FPGA Game Boy.
Like... I've been thinking (famous last words) and would it make sense for it to be an FPGA Game Boy?
If someone wanted to play any Game Boy game, isn't the best way to do so now with a modded OG GBA with a backlight (or cheaper/easier option a GBA SP)?
I'm just curious on what it would actually be, and what it does that makes it a convincing buy.

I guess it would kinda make sense if it was a multi-system thingy since they already can do Game Gear games (on the Mega SG) and Game Boy and GBC games (on the ntmini unofficial firmware), but I think the cartridge adapters would be... "weird" for a portable. Also, I don't know much about how FPGA systems work but I'll see comments like "not enough room" and wonder how capable it could be.

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
Reverse engineering the MIPS CPU? Would probably need to hire more engineers, but doable.

Reverse engineering the Silicon Graphics custom GPU? Linux guys haven't even figured out drivers for their workstations. No way for a company with Analogue's scale.

Implementing RAM to have behavior and timing as close to the original RAMBUS as possible? Yeah, maybe not even possible.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Like... I've been thinking (famous last words) and would it make sense for it to be an FPGA Game Boy?
If someone wanted to play any Game Boy game, isn't the best way to do so now with a modded OG GBA with a backlight (or cheaper/easier option a GBA SP)?
I'm just curious on what it would actually be, and what it does that makes it a convincing buy.

I guess it would kinda make sense if it was a multi-system thingy since they already can do Game Gear games (on the Mega SG) and Game Boy and GBC games (on the ntmini unofficial firmware), but I think the cartridge adapters would be... "weird" for a portable. Also, I don't know much about how FPGA systems work but I'll see comments like "not enough room" and wonder how capable it could be.

Well, one advantage that Analogue has over an original Gameboy is that the hardware isn't ~30 years old. Plastic ages, buttons get worn, and screens get scratched. There really isn't any way to get around that, even if you disassemble the device, give everything a scrub and buy replacement parts in some cases.

And with modern hardware comes niceties like rechargeable batteries, a screen that's actually visible, and a sleeker, more ergonomic design. And with the prices Analogue charge I would hope the materials feel a bit more premium then the ones used on the original hardware, especially after 30 years of age.

That's really the key selling point of Analogue's hardware - sure, you can take the time and effort to mod some original hardware to have the same features, but that's a lot of time and effort for something most people aren't going to be interested in doing, and no matter what you do the device is never going to look and feel as good as it did when it was first built, let alone in comparison to modern devices.

Most original SNES's have probably gone completely yellow by now simply because that's a inherent problem with the plastic they used - trying to remove that yellowing simply weakens the plastic and is really just a temporary fix. The Super NT on the other hand not only looks better then the original hardware (subjectivity), it also looks as good as new, because it is. Whether that's worth the premium is up to you.

Last edited:

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
That's really the selling point of Analogue's hardware - sure, you can take the time and effort to mod some original hardware to have the same features, but that's a lot of time and effort for something most people aren't going to be interested in doing, and no matter what you do the device is never going to look and feel as good as it did when it was first built, let alone in comparison to modern devices.
I don't know man...

Yeah, I can say that Analogue systems are appealing to me because of their compatibility with modern displays with no input lag added from their systems while replicating the original hardware, and modding original consoles and adding something like a framemeister or OSSC to the mix would make it more expensive than an FPGA system. I just think that if it's just going to be some portable player, it's going to have to come cheaper than their other systems because while GBA SP prices are rising, they still aren't that much (no modding required).

Now like... if it had a micro-HDMI out port on it too, that would make it really interesting IMO.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah the real appeal of Analogue systems is their high level of accuracy and the fact that they are plug and play. It's all about convenience. The only negative is the relatively steep price

dotpatrick

Oct 28, 2017
I've been looking at getting an AVS recently, but if Analogue puts out a more reasonably priced NES FPGA then their previous one then I will snap that right up.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
Analogue 8 sounds like a great device. Wonder if 8bitdo will make a special controller for it?

Blue Lou

Oct 26, 2017
https://www.wallpaper.com/lifestyle/analogue-pocket-vintage-handheld-game-boy

"Analogue Pocket isn't just restricted to Nintendo favourites. Analogue has made a host of cartridge adapters available to vintage-era enthusiasts, bringing releases from additional systems including the Sega Game Gear, SNK Neo Geo Pocket Colour and Atari Lynx into the fold."

q4g9Py4.jpg

julian

Oct 27, 2017